Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

Options
  • 02-10-2015 6:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

*Sky TV price will increase on 1 December 2015 in accordance with our standard terms.

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/

I will cancel Sky Sports on the 1st December 2015 as december is my last month of 6 months half price deal and I will cancel 'sky boxed sets' as I have catched up on the TV content.

Non Sports subscribers are paying for the increased Eng Premier League deal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Typical - happens every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

No doubt some of this increase will help subsidise the reported €2m cost to Sky for the new 5 year deal with RTE for carraige of the RTE channels and the addition of RTE1 HD etc. ( maybe we wont see RTE1 HD etc now until December 1st ? )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Well; my 9 months half price offer is up next month, so that'll be me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gmac40

Why has anyone got Sky these days?
    Dick Turpin wore a mask,at least...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'll get rid of it too.
    It's very poor value for the money now that other providers have taken the best of the football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

That link is not showing the increase. How much is it going up by?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

Where's the mention of December on the pages? Haven't spotted it, and no mention of a change yet in their calculations of bills into early next year. Guess they're changing from their recent thing of using February for increases here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Racket wrote: »
    Where's the mention of December on the pages? Haven't spotted it, and no mention of a change yet in their calculations of bills into early next year. Guess they're changing from their recent thing of using February for increases here

On the webpage in the opening post it says

*Sky TV price will increase on 1 December 2015 in accordance with our standard terms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Racket wrote: »

under the icon

Here's the legal bit

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Racket

lertsnim wrote: »
    On the webpage in the opening post it says

ftakeith wrote: »
    under the icon

Here's the legal bit

I get that now, cheers. Must have been getting an old page before as I had a full splash for The Walking Dead at the top when first looking.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

Lol, Sky are so out of touch these days. I feel sorry for people unaware on the better alternatives that are cheaper that continue paying for their sh!t service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Dumped Sky 2 weeks ago. They even offered same basic service for €32 a month cheaper. LOL

Shows what a bloody rip off they are.

No rewards for being loyal either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

gonna phone up and dump Sky as well, waste of money and can get everything Sky offers for peanuts between Netflix and online stuff anyway. Once you dump sky there is still plenty of decent FTA stuff on the satellite anyway. Sky stopped being cool and desirable when they moved digital and started multiplying their subscription charges and adding BS +1 channels and endless repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

But surely the subscriptions should be coming down? They have lost so much sport content this year?!

Problem is people pay it, so they get away with it.

Over 95% of TV watched by people is available FTA. So much content is available online now and more convenient its madness paying so much to a TV provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

So what exactly is a better alternative to Sky? I'm with UPC, I'm leaving them. Was gonna go to Sky, but I noticed alright on their site yesterday about the upcoming price increase, so fúck that!

My internet isn't great, so where does that leave me?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭bored_stupid

Go with upc for broadband & Phone and you still get the basic cable channels also .

Sky Entertainment plus pack and you get a free install free sky+Box and it,s yours after a year if you cancel .

And then theres the freesat boxs also .

Myself i got a sky deal last year sports movies etc sky matched carphones offer as she not into enigma 2 satellite boxes ,what a waste of money never watch Barclays Premier League bunch of posers { GAA any day proper sportsman /sky movies what a load of sh@te repeats rename channels still crap films for the money and they have the cheek to charge extra for HD and boxsets .

I,ll be on the phone later downgrading to Entertainment plus pack [ have to keep the boss happy ] if i had me way i,d cancel the lot but she likes sky pause rewind record compared to upc joke of a box .

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Nono Toure wrote: »
    So what exactly is a better alternative to Sky? I'm with UPC, I'm leaving them. Was gonna go to Sky, but I noticed alright on their site yesterday about the upcoming price increase, so fúck that!

There was an offer of Variety bundle for €19 per month and sky sports for €20 euro on top of that but can't find it anymore.

Carphone warehouse usually have deals on Sky too.

You can also get €75 cashback for introducing a friend to sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Nono Toure wrote: »

Freesat works for me for two reasons: the BBC content and I'm not in hock to the great God of Sport.

Go with upc for broadband & Phone and you still get the basic cable channels also .

Sky Entertainment plus pack and you get a free install free sky+Box and it,s yours after a year if you cancel .

And then theres the freesat boxs also .

Myself i got a sky deal last year sports movies etc sky matched carphones offer as she not into enigma 2 satellite boxes ,what a waste of money never watch Barclays Premier League bunch of posers { GAA any day proper sportsman /sky movies what a load of sh@te repeats rename channels still crap films for the money and they have the cheek to charge extra for HD and boxsets .

I,ll be on the phone later downgrading to Entertainment plus pack [ have to keep the boss happy ] if i had me way i,d cancel the lot but she likes sky pause rewind record compared to upc joke of a box .

Rant over

setanta pack is more watched than sky sports in my home

most online tv content is not available
    netflix only has some decent new tv content but Sky has the hbo content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Sky Sports is obviously going to seem very expensive if all you want to watch is Premier League football. However, they have golf, American football, darts and cricket pretty much tied up. Then of course there's the odd bit of GAA or boxing that I watch. So based on my interests I think it's very good value, but I appreciate that other people feel differently.

It's all very subjective though. For example, I think Netflix is overpriced based on its US-centric library (MUBI is outstanding, and cheaper!). However, my girlfriend can't believe it's 'only' €9.99 per month.

But you're not going to please everyone all of the time. Sky's big mistake could turn out to be that they're trying to do just that.

Personally, I like Sky. It's somewhat expensive but they have what I want and that's what it boils down to. It's easy and convenient and that's what I'm after for those few hours in the evening when I finally have time to sit down. My only issue is that they charge for premium content and then force you to sit through adds. That's not the case with the likes of HBO in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I can see eir and UPC upping the price of broadband and phone for existing customers and trying to flog more TV so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

The last price increase was last February and ive seen the small print on the Sky Ireland website about Decembers price increase.

Sky must think we have short memories.

Two price increases in between February and December.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057336897/1

mikeym wrote: »
    The last price increase was last February and ive seen the small print on the Sky Ireland website about Decembers price increase.

Sky must think we have short memories.

Two price increases in between February and December.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057336897/1

no link so far

sky TV's original bundle maybe up to 30euros per month

maybe RTE1 HD and RTE catch up will be added from the 1st December 2015

sky's boxed sets is €7.50 per month for the next 12 months in a deal
    I have catched up on the sky boxed sets content

Sky TV should scrap the variety pack and just have the original bundle and variety pack content together for €30 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would guess that Sky eventually will raise the price of standalone TV to silly levels and offer a competitive bb/TV/phone bundle.
    This would work for a few reasons. Out in the country they'll effectively have a monopoly on paid TV when upc mmds expires, in urban areas they'll have good fibre speeds and can sell tripleplay bundles instead of having customers splitting providers.

if Sky sports subscribers downgraded or cancelled sky sports, sky would be in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Not very likely that they would cancel it altogether though. They're probably the most loyal customers of all. I see sky do a €20pm sports offer at the moment.
    They probably lose some customers to piracy alright. If someone jumps ship to upc or eircom, Sky will still get paid for their sports subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

saw this ad on tv last night for freeview, kind of apt for the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_3hvReCrfk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Probably to pay for rte player and rte1HD. Skysports is way overpriced at 36euro per month - probably go up to 38 or 39 euro to pay for their mad premier league bid in advance of next year.
    Prices went up in the UK on the 1st of June this year.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not very likely that they would cancel it altogether though. They're probably the most loyal customers of all. I see sky do a €20pm sports offer at the moment.
    They probably lose some customers to piracy alright. If someone jumps ship to upc or eircom, Sky will still get paid for their sports subscription.

20euros per month for the whole 12 months
    they are contracted to sky sports and most of these people will forget to cancel and then pay 38euros per month as the new Eng Prem deal kicks in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭pad199207

so will this mean even if you are still in contract do we have rights to cancel within 30 days of this notice>

Advertisement