Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Hair Removal - I've gone the 'hollywood' route!! YIKES

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Don't get me wrong the pain is TOTALLY manageable but I do have to have a double/triple vodka in a bar across from the clinic before I go in (much to the amusement of the beautician!).

:D

Regarding the whole changing room thing, i doubt other women are being judgemental - they're probably thinking 'hmmmm, might try that' and the thoughtful faces they're pulling just look like they're dissaproving.

I don't set out to check out the other ladies in the changing room, but sometimes when i'm getting dressed i'm day dreaming away (singing along to the piped music without being aware i'm doing it) and my gaze might land on someone, then my thoughts turn to 'oh, nice thong, wonder where she got it....'/'wow, she's got great muscle definition....'/'hey, i want a bright green bra too!'/etc/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

Yeah women definitely check other women out all the time. And we hardly ever get to see what real women look like naked so its a curiousity.

It can be absently done (as above) or a jealousy thing or just general interest and comparison with your own body thing. And if you see something unusual its human nature to look twice.

Maybe you're just hot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

ok here's the deal. It cost €700 for 6 sessions (was meant to be dearer but they were doing a discount in early Nov). It would have only cost €400 for short back and sides or €550 for Brazlian but because I was going the whole hog and there was more surface area to cover that's why it's so expensive.

Jaysus, thats not bad if you consider the cost of a brazilian every 6 weeks or so!! IT'd actually be rather cost effective, and pain wise per session prob much the same!

I wasn't even aware that they did brazilians etc, I thought twas just the regular bikini line they could do!

Did you get that done in a Dublin salon or where? I doubt everywhere thats doing laser does brazilians etc????

I'm here in the sticks in galway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

ztoical wrote: »
    is it like getting a tattoo thou where it hurts going on [like a cat scratching your skin] but the minute they stop theres no pain or is there lingering pain for a while after each session? how big a gap is there between each session?

I don't have any tattoos so can't say for certain but yes the pain stops as soon as the laser stops.
    It's done is short sharp bursts, I suppose like a gun firing a round - stop start stop start stop start etc. The laser shoots out and then immediately after it a cold burst shoots out to cool the skin - suppose that's what makes the pain go so quickly. Sometimes after a succession of shots though you have to stop for a second just to let the pain subside then you start again a few seconds later.

After the entire session (abut 15 mins for full area) there is a tiny bit of discomfort lingering and the area feels hot but the beautician applies a gel of some sort (aloe vera I presume) and it calms right down. Also there can be some minor swelling but it goes very quickly (in an hour or so)

Jaysus, thats not bad if you consider the cost of a brazilian every 6 weeks or so!! IT'd actually be rather cost effective, and pain wise per session prob much the same!

I wasn't even aware that they did brazilians etc, I thought twas just the regular bikini line they could do!

Did you get that done in a Dublin salon or where? I doubt everywhere thats doing laser does brazilians etc????

I'm here in the sticks in galway!!

Yeh, the salon is the BodyClinic - think it's on Wicklow Street - all I know is the International Bar is directly across from it (that's where I have the tripple vodka beforehand!! :p)

• Advertisement

I'm wondering if that's why I'm not satisfied with the reults...

When you say your not satified with the results is it because the hair keeps coming back or because it is patchy. LHE is mad expensive isn't it?

I would like to get my brows permanently shaped, but like you I'm not a good candidate for laser. I would also worry that it would remove my freckles, leaving me with a reverse racoon face. :S

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭RuailleBuaille

I'm not satisfied because after 1500+ euro and more than a year of having to let it grow (I used to pluck) there was little or no difference. It was patchy and i had to do all this unscreen protection in case I got chloasma. Some parts are totally smooth and others there's no difference.
    BTW I thought I had the same procedure done as the OP but my torture device didn't have cooling air blowing out of it? Did I get stung as well as burned?! :mad: It was more than 2 years ago I started it, maybe I should check that BodyCliic out, could be more advanced machines out there now...

*does mental calculations and shakes head sadly*

Moonbaby wrote: »
    When you say your not satified with the results is it because the hair keeps coming back or because it is patchy. LHE is mad expensive isn't it?

I would like to get my brows permanently shaped, but like you I'm not a good candidate for laser. I would also worry that it would remove my freckles, leaving me with a reverse racoon face. :S

Personally I wouldn't get it on your face if I was you because they do tell you there's a risk of 'pigmentation' damage. This is where it damages your skins tanning ability instead of targetting a hair follicle.... Also they may not even do it for you because it's too close to your eye - it may affect your vision. Even though I'm getting it done down below I still have to wear protective eyewear as does the beautician so there must be some risk to your eyes/vision if your eye is too cose to the laser.

As far as I can remember from the consultation those who are not good candidates for laser are:-

- red heads
    - very black people
    - poeple whose hair colour is ligther than their skin (e.g. a blonde with a deep tan)

Also, just some more info, the risk of pigmentation is higher if you had a recent tan, or you keep a bit of tan all year round. Down below I'm very pale so that was ok, but some hairs wer on the tan line (couple of inches down from my belly button), she told me of the risk of pigmentation but I asked her to laser it anyway, no point in paying 700 lids and having hair still on the edges... - so far so good in that there is no trace of any pigmentation issues.

I have to say I can't fault the process so far :D

The technology they use where i'm going is Candella - which is meant to be a bona fide laser and one of the best out there. My beautician told me that some clinics represent that they do laser therapy but it's actually epi-light therapy which is not the same thing at all and is not as good. I reccomend that if any of ye are going for a consultation ask the person what technology they use, write it down and google it when you get home - it will ensure you make an informed decision and get besst value for your money :)

I think your right there Detective, I couldn't face electroysis so looks like its a no go.

I've been researching here

http://www.cosmeticenhancementsforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Check it out Itchy.

BTW one of the sucess stories involves a hetero male with a landing strip brazilian. Imagine talking your way out of that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I think your right there Detective, I couldn't face electroysis so looks like its a no go.

I've been researching here

http://www.cosmeticenhancementsforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3

Check it out Itchy.

BTW one of the sucess stories involves a hetero male with a landing strip brazilian. Imagine talking your way out of that one!

Ha Ha.... imagine going home with some guy, taking his pants off and seeing a Brazilian wax. I think I'd peg it out the door!

• Advertisement

Hi Watna/Moonbaby,

I had electrolysis on my upper lip a few years back, had a fair few sessions but couldn't stick the pain - it was barbaric when i think abut it now - and the results were sh1t, i.e. absoultely no change.... would never touch it again. Laser is a piece of cake compared to it!!!:eek:

watna wrote: »
    Ha Ha.... imagine going home with some guy, taking his pants off and seeing a Brazilian wax. I think I'd peg it out the door!

+1 !!

men should NOT have manicured pubes - it's wrong on SO many levels... LOL:D

leave it straggly and natural I say!

I know a girl who does electrolysis and she says it is a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

i don't get the people who their eyebrows lasered off and then tattoo new ones on - its double the pain and if you don't like the result your stuck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

+1 !!

trimmed, pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Alt-Health-Ire

I had laser removal done in Northern Ireland on the NHS - I had paid for treatments before at private clinics and found many of the clinics would use a good high pulse for your patch test and then lower the intensity for the treatments - making it more expensive. NHS only provide treatment for facial hair, but due to the fact that I had such a good result I am paying to get a lot more done, in the same clinic and under the supervision of a really great dermatologist.

Regarding the pain - I am a total wuss and did try electrolisis when I was 18 - couldn't even finish my 15min session! I was by my doctor to buy Emla Cream over the counter at the chemist and apply every 20 minutes for the 2 hours before the treatment, this makes the area numb (Its the same thing the hospitals use on kids before they put a drip in)

I had a great result and virtually no pain during the treatment - I found the most painful bit was my top lip when I had my first treatment - but the cream made it numb enough to take all the blasts of the laser without any stops for the rest of the time.

Day-Zee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Alt-Health-Ire

+1 !!

I once had a few dates with a guy who had an aversion to hair on his body below the neck - he shaved every last 1 off - really weird - just didn't look right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Peared wrote: »
    Im not trying to be smart at all here but I would guess somebody with a vagina knows more about getting lasered around the vaginal area than somebody who has a different body type altogether.

+1

On the topic of laser hair removal... I have three dark hairs on my jawline that appeared during pregnancy but haven't buggered off since. I get em waxed but really I'd like them gone forever, they're disgusting.

Is laser treatment for a very small area like that expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I've thought about lasering it a lot. My only concern is that in 20 years time it'll go out of fashion and only sluts will get it done or something.

You could get a wig!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Also they may not even do it for you because it's too close to your eye - it may affect your vision. Even though I'm getting it done down below I still have to wear protective eyewear as does the beautician so there must be some risk to your eyes/vision if your eye is too cose to the laser.

Actually it's a HSA requirement that people wear suitable protective goggles in any room where a powerful laser (pretty much anything above a laser pointer or check-out scanner) is active, they wouldn't be allowed to work otherwise. If the laser were fired prematurely and someone's eye happened to get in the way it could do severe damage. If it happened to strike a metallic object and reflect off it it could also strike someone in the eye.
    In simple terms the laser is destroying hair follicles in the skin, so what do you think it would do to the retina of the eye? Depending on the wavelength the damage would be obvious instantly or might take days to become obvious.

• Advertisement

You could get a wig!!:D

I could! I beleive a wig for your girly garden is called a merkin though!

farohar wrote: »
    They actually make those?:eek:
    Where'd the name for them come from, or is this something I'm better off not knowing?

They do! I'm not sure how I know that though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

EDIT: time space continuum is broked again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

I could! I beleive a wig for your girly garden is called a merkin though!

They actually make those?:eek:
    Where'd the name for them come from, or is this something I'm better off not knowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I had laser treatment on red veins on my nose and my face and found it excrusiating! So much so I couldn't go back to gt rid of them completely. I actually started crying and went into shock :(
    How in the name of all that's holy did you do that on your Mary? I'm very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

I'd love to get it ddone. I used to get Brazilians done every 6 weeks but it got too expensive when saving for travelling. I'll get one before I go, I think, just for the beach etc and I'm hoping to keep it up in NZ. I'm presuming it'll be a lot cheaper there.

I've thought about lasering it a lot. My only concern is that in 20 years time it'll go out of fashion and only sluts will get it done or something. Although, it's not like I flash it in the street and I'd say I'll still like it so maybe I should just go for it!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost? Was it painful?

hey watna. when you come to nz, you wana go in and get one done together? im too much of a pussy to get it done myself... haha, it'll be a fun bonding experience :P

hey watna. when you come to nz, you wana go in and get one done together? im too much of a pussy to get it done myself... haha, it'll be a fun bonding experience :P

ok, as long as we don't have to look at each others down there bits!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

deal :D

embee wrote: »
    +1

don't think so but you should ring the clinic and discuss it. because it's a non standard request (i.e. not bikini or leg or underarm) they won't have a set price so I'm sure you could negotiate one. I'd say that seeing as it's only 3 hairs you'd only need 1/2 sessions - prob cost you about 6o quid.
    you should deffo get it done - imagine never having to worry about them again - it's a bargain!! ;)

:(
    How in the name of all that's holy did you do that on your Mary? I'm very impressed![/quote]

it's tough but it's only 15 mins every 4 weeks. That's what I keep chanting when it's being done - "neary over, nearly, over, nearly over" it actually works - mind over matter and all that.... thinking of the end result helps too, I absolutely hated the hair and think it looks fantastic now - I'd do it again if it grew back (I think :eek:)

;)

• Advertisement

embee wrote: »
    +1

On the topic of laser hair removal... I have three dark hairs on my jawline that appeared during pregnancy but haven't buggered off since. I get em waxed but really I'd like them gone forever, they're disgusting.

If you have a read of that forum I posted a link for.
    Apparently if you have a certain hair and skin type, laser on fine face hairs can trigger the dormant hairs to grow out of control. One poster who seems to be a laser practioner is really zealous about putting that point across.

If you have even a hint of red in your hair laser won't work.

For three hairs electrolysis is probably best, there is also a forum on that topic.

I know I said earlier that I heard it didn't work, but if TS's can clear their entire bodies....it must! Contrary to your opinion it is all just skin and hair.

Advertisement