Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whelan's on Fire?

Options
  • 16-03-2008 2:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

Just heard a rumour Whelan's Pub is on fire.

Anyone confirm?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

whelans on wexford street?

that's my regular spot.

glad i didnt head down tonight if so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

just got a text off my mate, he said it's the village next door.

wonder if its bad

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭taibhse1966

Just got a call from my sister - shes a taxi driver asking me if there is anything on the news she saw a load of fire engines heading for wexford street which is blocked off at the moment, called me about 20 mins ago. Nothing on the news anywhere checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

happy i didnt head to cashel now, woot

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jaesus, i hope it's not whelan's, or the village for that matter, they were my new hang outs for the last few months, i sure hope this isn't true. My Cousins been playing whelans for the last month or so, here's hopin everything's alright lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

For the love of god not whelans, its the only place I get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,798 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Mo mhammi rang me at 1.30am to see if I was ok:o that Whelans was up in flames. It's not like it's a regular place of mine or anything, I've been twice in my life I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

fcuking hell, was just talking about going there a few days ago. Jeez , hope my workmates okay :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Bloody smokers....
    [/taking the piss]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Don't panic!

I just got back from town, was in Whelan's. From what I can tell, the following occured:

Was in Whelans, place was filling up with smoke and they started emptying the place saying the place next store (the village) was on fire.

Went out onto the street and it seems like the neon sign over the door caught fire. Since the facade has that crappy wooden panelling, the front caught fire (not too bad) but it was billowing smoke.

Gardai and Fire crews arrived pretty sharpish, looks like it was all under control.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Hurrah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MarinoMark

Fcuk it, just have to mosey over to Flannerys , then on to Coppers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Blackgrape

just back from town myself. The missus noticed some burning smell in Whelans. I thoughtb it was the beautifully smelling peat fire. Was ushered out ahead of most as I was on my way out. The fire alarm went off as I was on my way. Outside all I could see was "the village" sign on fire. However smoke was billowing out of a top window of the Village. Hung around for 20 mins. 3 brigades and numerous squads on the scene instantaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 io

yup. village was on fire, dont know the ins and outs but fact its, whelans was fillin with smoke by the time we made our way down the stairs, and the fire brigades had arrived by the time we were out the door...and we were ahead of the crowd seen as nobody believed there was really a fire ...stink of smoke now and smoke was Billowin out of the upper floors of the village for at least an hour after, was clearly more serious than was made out initially... all of wexford street cordened off...anyone know what ACTUALLY happened?! and everyone from Village ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

Is this whelans in limerick? do you mean to tell me an entire village caught fire? was it Doon in Co.Limerick?? my god! this is terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Heh, Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

mates where in it last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭ronano

too bad village didnt go puff and need to be refurbed,tis an awful music venue! Whelan's is lovely tho

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

village can fit 800 people?

• Advertisement

im sorry could somebody tell me which county whelans is? there are whelans pubs all over ireland! are the whelan family living in the premises? are they ok?

surely this should be in the regional forum!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,733 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

flanum wrote: »
    im sorry could somebody tell me which county whelans is? there are whelans pubs all over ireland! are the whelan family living in the premises? are they ok?

surely this should be in the regional forum!!!

Big Pub in Dublin on wexford st...see my pic in previous post

yeah i saw a pic with loads of smoke. could have been anywhere!

oh dublin?? doesnt concern me then!

i feel a bit sorry for the whelan family tho.

could this be moved to the regional section?? county dublin??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

flanum wrote: »

could this be moved to the regional section?? county dublin??

whats the point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Word to the wise, flanum

If no placenames are mentioned, always assume it's Dublin.
    That's what I've learned on Boards.

That and they like to shorten names like "Blanch" but it's ok as everyone knows where that is!
    Oh and there's only one Dundrum in all of Ireland ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

Once everyone was okay and the proper boozer with the good black stuff is in one piece than its grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well at least that'll stop the turf-eaters whinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 armageddon_pony

yeah, you could smell fo something burning for the most of the night..
    i was bit surprised when they started to evacuate ppl and didnt have a clue where was the fire..
    i was so close to gettin my coat.. so i stood outside for like ****in 1,5 with just t-shirt on.. f*ck sake..

glad nobody got hurt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jayage

glad i didnt go out there then
    mates said they werenet botherd since it was raining >.<

and i'm not really fond of whelans no where to sit when in the night club!

Advertisement