Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

discrimination

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If a guy pays more insurance because he's 'more likely' to crash, well....if we're going to talk statistics, im never going to get pregnant and cause grief for my employer, it's only fair that i should be paid more than a women. But say that out loud and the feminists will crucify you.

Women wan't to have their cake and eat it. FACT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Wait a minute lads!!!

He's white, male and I bet he's one o' them heterosexuals too!!

Therefore, it's his fault and it's entirely okay to blame him and discriminate against him because he was born that way... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pretty much the way of it! :)
    Women wan't to have their cake and eat it. FACT

Well, no real point in looking at it!

The last time any talk was made of balancing out insurance prices it was hardly unsuprising that talk was about taking the prices for women UP.

No victory to be had with the financial services folks, just accept that fact that as the individual you will always been the small spoon in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I just realised as well, Most if not all the of those "drive safe" campaign ad's that show horrific car crash's.
    Guess who's behind the wheel all the time? Yep, always a guy.

When are we going to see ad's where the wimmin driver drinks half a pint of lager and takes out an entire motor way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

weeder wrote: »
    this isnt your usual paki thread this is about discrimination in the highest and its been going on for decades!

was online getting an insurance quote and it was 2200 euro a little disgruntled i went through the whole process againonly telling them i was female, 1100 cheaper!
    this is an outrage thats been plagueing the world for decades in fairness how does havin boobs and a snatch make your more insurable?
    well it doesnt
    argh rabble rabble rabble
    My brother did an online quote and was amazed to be quoted e250. But an investigation of his details revealed he had selected "Sr" instead of "Mr", the latter raising the quote to a whopping e1800!
    So you should change your sex and wear a veil.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

he had selected "Sr" instead of "Mr"
    So Spanish people get cheap deals on insurance?

Any transexuals here got any motor-insurance anecdotes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If a guy pays more insurance because he's 'more likely' to crash, well....if we're going to talk statistics, im never going to get pregnant and cause grief for my employer, it's only fair that i should be paid more than a women. But say that out loud and the feminists will crucify you.

Was there not a court judgement in the UK recently that protected an employer saying and acting on something much the same, along the lines of "we're giving the blokes a payrise as they've never taken maternity leave" or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

they're not discriminating ffs. they're appropriating risk.

i cant go into details on this so i have to make generalised comments. I wanted to include nationality as part of risk profiling project for something similar and i approached the relevent body in ireland. In summary they said that without financial proof that nationality plays a significant part in risk determination for what I wanted to do, i couldnt ask the question. So i argued that I cant profile without asking the question in the first place. Wasnt good enough for them.

It seems that because companies have been asking for your age for example for years before the relevent equality act was introduced, they had built up a substanial profile prior which demonstrated the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

it's also due to blowjobs in the car.
    Now that is dangerous,
    driving a car while signing into the kareoke machine:D:D
    them feckin wimmin with their multi taskin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

We should all be treated the same, all this "men show off in cars" and "Women are slow drivers" crap gets to me, its not the gender, its the person driving the car. I dont think its right that i have to pay and extra thousand or two because im male, they should do something about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

some facts

women drive less
    women are poorer drivers on average
    men speed more
    most accidents are caused by poor driving
    insurance companies dont give a toss they just want money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Instead of blaming Women, why don't Men do something like protest or write thousands and thousands of letters to insurance companies. They are the ones you should be angry at, not us. I certainly don't agree with there being different premiums. I am a regular driver and see terrible driving from both sexes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

weeder wrote: »
    in fairness how does havin boobs and a snatch make your more insurable?
    well it doesnt

Boobs and a snatch... nice.

Fact is women are involved in less accidents than men.

End of.

kthanxbi

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

snyper wrote: »
    Boobs and a snatch... nice.

Fact is women are involved in less accidents than men.

End of.

kthanxbi

but sexual discrimination is illegal in this country. i always wondered why insurance companies are allowed discriminate against people because of age and sex when no other industry is allowed.

as i think someone else said, if statistics showed that black men crashed more than white men, do you think they'd be allowed charge black men more? and if not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

You know what guys, this is the Government's fault. Let's blame them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    but sexual discrimination is illegal in this country. i always wondered why insurance companies are allowed discriminate against people because of age and sex when no other industry is allowed.

as i think someone else said, if statistics showed that black men crashed more than white men, do you think they'd be allowed charge black men more? and if not why not?

It's risk assessment, same as some health insurance takes into account factors like age and previous illnesses etc. They can get around the discrimination thing by calling it risk assessment.

They can take into account where you live, inner city with no offstreet parking versus country with a garage or drive to house your car in/on, so I guess that could be construed as discrimination favouring people who are better off - you will get cheaper insurance if you have a house with a drive to park your car on vs living in a flat and parking up on the street.

the reason for women's insurance being cheaper on average than males is due to statistics which point to women having more "small" accidents, such as reversing into another car while parking or dinging a bumper, whereas men tend to have more spectacular accidents, writing off cars and possibly people. Women's accidents on the whole cost less to pay out on than men's, hence the lower premium.

Also - your premium as a male will be slightly affected (positively, ie it tends to be lower) by having a spouse - I think the theory is that a married man as opposed to a single man will have more responsibilities - kids, wife, mortgage etc - and will be less likely to endanger his life as he has others to think of - either that or they reckon the wife is sitting in the passenger seat nagging at him to slow down! how's that strike you for discrimination between singles and marrieds...

If anything is to be done about it, premiums for women will go up to match that of males, rather than premiums for males coming down to match women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

echosound wrote: »
    It's risk assessment, same as some health insurance takes into account factors like age and previous illnesses etc. They can get around the discrimination thing by calling it risk assessment.

why not include race, religious background and sexual orientation in this 'risk assesment', im sure some of the sub groups i mentioned are more riskier than others

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

utick wrote: »
    why not include race, religious background and sexual orientation in this 'risk assesment', im sure some of the sub groups i mentioned are more riskier than others

People who are exactly 1.734657481 metres tall are statistically more dangerous than anyone else on our roads. About time this was sorted! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The OP makes a good and valid point.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If a guy pays more insurance because he's 'more likely' to crash,
    Thats not how insurance works. The insurance company doesn't give a damn how good or bad a driver you are. They do not care how many accidents you have a year, or whose fault it was. They do not care how many miles you drive a year. All the insurance company is interested in is how much you are likely to claim from them. I could destroy my car but if I put no claims in. Women put less claims in than men, simple as that. Several years ago some insurer was on, possibly AA, saying that it was slowly going the other way. i.e. women were starting to put more claims in than previous years. They put this down to them spending more time on the road. Insurance is done by the year, there should be more options on how to cost it.

A firefighter is probably "better" at dealing with fires than me, if we both went in to get insured for a year against getting a burn my insurance would probably be less. I could probably get cheaper insurance about being electrocuted than a qualified electrician.
    Davidius wrote: »
    You know what guys, this is the Government's fault. Let's blame them!
    They should really step in, it is sexual discrimination and if it does eventually turn the other way, and men get cheaper quotes as women drive more and put more claims in, THEN I imagine you will see it outlawed. The insurers should be forced to get some other way of calculating the costs, if you drive you are legally forced to use them after all.
    utick wrote: »
    Exactly, I see no difference. There are already groups that are sectioned out, being straight out racist or sexist is not really acceptable. I have heard women have more claims per mile than men. If I was a man doing 50miles a year there should be a company that would take me on like that. I think some "classic car" insurance works like that.

As an engineer I get cheaper quotes, when I ring up they always ask if I mean a mechanic. I have heard a mechanic will be quoted highly, since they tend to mess with their cars, resulting in larger claims per year for stuff, or they might realise it is broken and claim. Some other weird ones exist, like sports professionals, if they give a person a lift they might also be a pros with high insurance on their bodies. Barmen get more not because of drink driving, but because their cars are often in pub carparks and are more likely to be robbed- nothing to do with driving ability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement