Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of pint going up by 15c next month

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

nice one man.

its 4.30 for a guiness and 4.60 for a coors where i live in dublin and thats out in the suburbs.

larger is well over a fiver in town now. hence why i dont go there anymore. im not rewarding that crap. was out in inis mor myself last year and i have to say it was nice to have a cold pint on a warm day at a reasonable price.

ya think the publicans might catch on to that idea? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

They're shovelling those sh*te radio ads about how we should all go to the pub down our throats while doing this sh*t.

I drink out as little as possible these days. It's a massive waste of money. I prefer sitting in with mates than going to the pub anyway.

what i laugh at is were meant to be the country where everybody's loaded yet we're all drinking like students.

seriously, the number of people i know who get tanked up before they go out is unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

I'm astonished that in a market where sales are falling that they keep jacking up the prices. A large bottle of Bulmers isn't far off €6 in many places in Dublin city. I was buying the same product in Newcastle last weekend for over €2 less. I don't really have a major issue with the taxation on drink as we get this back in services (however inefficiently) but these price hikes are really taking the wee wee. I'm no economist but I assumed in a buyers market prices came down.

I never ever drank at home unless I had friends over but I started doing it last year. Maybe when the sales fall even more they might twig on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,413 ✭✭✭✭cson

what i laugh at is were meant to be the country where everybody's loaded yet we're all drinking like students.

seriously, the number of people i know who get tanked up before they go out is unreal

8 for €9 Bav, ya can't bate it :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Melion wrote: »
    €3 for a pint and you think its too expensive???
    I think he was saying he wasnt out as it was usually so expensive, and that the €3 was cheap, even though it was a niteclub.
    one word lads: smuggling :D
    Smuggling into pubs anyways. Dealers could make more selling triple shots, than selling e these days. A triple is over a tenner in my local.

The difference is very large now though. You can be paying over 5 times the price in the pub for the same bottle of beer, even more for spirits and mixers. When I started drinking it was about twice the price to drink in a pub. No one likes being ripped off, not matter how rich you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

cson wrote: »
    I was going through a quiet patch early in the night yesterday too and I started trying to calculate exactly how much Vintners make off spirits. It's something shocking, I'd reckon. Take for instance a bottle of Mickey Finns - €12 ish quid for a 500ml bottle in the shops. A shot is 33mls. This place charged €4 a shot. So 33 into 500 goes roughly 15 times. So thats 15 shots at €4 a go. Thats €60 gross on a bottle. Now you can be sure their not paying €12 for it. I'd reckon half that, €6. That'd mean €54 profit. You can bet its roughly the same for Vodka too.

And thats without the ludicrous €1 they charge for a splash. T'is diriculous.

First of all a shot is 35.5ml :rolleyes: One the other side of it though you are very right although when it comes to vodka the figures start to get crazy. Take those big 3 ltr bottles you see in big places. 84.5 shots in that. They come in cases of 4 which is 12 ltrs. Now dou you think they pay the same for that as they would for 12X1ltr bottles? My hole they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

Ahh feck us Bulmers drinkers are already paying over the odds for a pint how can they justify it why is it always the most expensive pint!

feckin bulmers
    who'd they think they are, sure i used to drink it down the field's ....forgettin where they came from
    try DRUUID'S cider 1.39/500ml
    3/4 of those's bad boy's and it's all good.
    get back to me and let me know what you think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

"So Publican Pete, off licence sales have surpassed pub sales this year for the first time ever, how do you respond?"
    "Well I'm going to make it more expensive"

Seriously, I'm boycotting the city centre at the moment (plus I'm broke so it's not that difficult). Paying €5.50+ for a pint after being expected to pay €10 for the privilege of darkening their doorstep is just moronic.

I'd love to see EVERYONE in Ireland on just one day this year forgoing the pub and staying home, whether they're drinking or not. Wonder how much money would be lost overall if not one person in Ireland went into a pub one day.

Oh and don't try and pull the old "yeh we'll all boycott the pub on Good Friday and Christmas Day" trick... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

So if you drink say 10 pints on a night out it's going to mean a whole extra €1.50? How will you manage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

And in other news Tescos in the UK are stepping in to help the government stamp out low alcohol prices in off-licenses. It's already been suggested that the same may happen in Ireland.

At that point, I'll head for France with a Transit van once a year, have a weeks hols and pay for it by selling off quarter of my booze stash when I get home. Cheap nectar... Paulaner, Hoegarden, Duvel, etc at 50c a bottle.

Sorry Bertie, you lose - it's the EU dontcha know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

steveland? wrote: »
    "So Publican Pete, off licence sales have surpassed pub sales this year for the first time ever, how do you respond?"
    "Well I'm going to make it more expensive"

Seriously, I'm boycotting the city centre at the moment (plus I'm broke so it's not that difficult). Paying €5.50+ for a pint after being expected to pay €10 for the privilege of darkening their doorstep is just moronic.

I'd love to see EVERYONE in Ireland on just one day this year forgoing the pub and staying home, whether they're drinking or not. Wonder how much money would be lost overall if not one person in Ireland went into a pub one day.

Oh and don't try and pull the old "yeh we'll all boycott the pub on Good Friday and Christmas Day" trick... ;)
    Yeah, I'd love to see this also. Perhaps even a weekend.

Everyone in the country refuses to go to a pub/club etc for one whole designated weekend, and watch the fckers suffer.

Sad thing is, these price increases are our own fault. Some of us will keep going to pubs and clubs, paying whatever they're looking for for a drink and allowing them to steadily increase the prices year after year so I very much doubt a boycotting of these places will ever happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

latenia wrote: »
    So if you drink say 10 pints on a night out it's going to mean a whole extra €1.50? How will you manage?

If you drank as much as somepeople then that would add up to the price of a holiday every year.

The 15c is the straw breaking the camels back. Last time I got bottles it was 70c each, and they were 5.50 in the last pub I was in.

I won't boycott them, just use the bastards. Drink a few on the way there, and smuggle some in. If there is a gig on, or paddys day etc, then smuggling in bottles they serve is a great idea, no queueing or waiting for staff to serve you. And the pricks take care of your empties. It is so busy nobody will ever notice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Vertigo100 wrote: »
    First of all a shot is 35.5ml :rolleyes: One the other side of it though you are very right although when it comes to vodka the figures start to get crazy. Take those big 3 ltr bottles you see in big places. 84.5 shots in that. They come in cases of 4 which is 12 ltrs. Now dou you think they pay the same for that as they would for 12X1ltr bottles? My hole they do :)

Quinn's in drumcondra are selling Larios gin behind teh bar at the usual price.The stuff retails in spain (where its made) for 5 euro a litre,christ knows what it costs to buy wholesale.The stuff is muck as well AND they have the cheek to sell it in the Gordon's optic so it looks like you're getting the good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

briantwin wrote: »
    Source??
    I cant find anything about this online except from 2004 or 2006. What paper did you read this in?

is your name Doc.Browne?? :D

Indo title. Its not in the online version. It does quote Diageo and an irate publican(yes really does, two faced comes to mind on that one!)

No, not Doc Browne :D

On the topic, the likes of Beamish(3.60 a pint i think) who have a price freeze will only gain by Diageo hiking up prices. Notice how Beamish is getting slightly more available in a good few pubs now?
    I downed a pint of Guinness for 3.80 on sunday in a D4 district where you expect prices to be sky-high, then went across the road to another pub and they charged 4:30 for the same, 50c difference, batant rip-off how are ya!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Check this out for the league table of expensive boozers
    www.dublinpubscene.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I am not a happy camper :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Has anyone noticed the drink gone up yet?

I haven't been in a pub in about 3 weeks due to offy consumption :D

I've heard a city centre pub(fiver->5.20) and a few in Finglas have put up their lager by 20c already or are due to do it this weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

rubadub wrote: »
    All it means is more young people will turn to other recreational drugs. Drinking vodka with legal coke costs more than doing illegal coke. E's are going for the less than the price of a half pint.

Difference being

a- Said drugs will usually leave a rougher hangover in the morning

b- 50 euro of alcohol is alot more fun than 50 of talcum powder with a 10% sprinkling of cocaine

Having said that I fell back on yokes at a few Point gigs because the bar didnt serve to under 21s (and I was 18-20 these times)

Degsy wrote: »
    www.dublinpubscene.com

whats really scary is on average the info's FOUR YEARS OLD !! :eek:

so theyve probably gone up in price since then. by the way , what tool would pay 7 euro for a pint of heineken in cocoon? that fcuking idiot deserves to be ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I pretty much just cut the pub when I go drinking these days.

Usually have a few at home, fill up a hip flask, hit the town and buy two or three mixers for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I live right in the middle of Dublin City Centre, but it's been months since I had more than 3 or 4 pints in a pub.

I used to easily drink 10+ pints.

I like alcohol.

If people like me aren't willing to spend money in the pub anymore, I think it's a sign their business model is in trouble.

Pubs are beginning to resemble record companies....

Degsy wrote: »
    www.dublinpubscene.com

The prices there are fairly out of date. It's a good idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

dublindude wrote: »
    I live right in the middle of Dublin City Centre, but it's been months since I had more than 3 or 4 pints in a pub.

I used to easily drink 10+ pints.

I like alcohol.

If people like me aren't willing to spend money in the pub anymore, I think it's a sign their business model is in trouble.

Pubs are beginning to resemble record companies....

im the same. thanks to being, um , enthusiastic in my youth i couldnt stomach beer for over a decade so i regularly drank suddie and red instead way back in the early ninties when i was earing a third of what im on now.

for the life of me i dont know how id do that these days. its fcuking extortion what their charging for it now. wasnt there a figure going around saying sales are down by over 20% a while back? if my boss saw returns like that the LAST thing he'd do is up the comission but i guess these guys'll never learn. apparently their tactic is to take out the venues we CAN get cheap beer. must be the only example of "DONT SHOP AROUND" the governments ever backed.

by the way, did you see the thread in politics about some bloke in southhill who's opened his gaff as an illegal bar and is flogging pints for 3 euro a go? he has a fully kitted out bar with kegs and all. they way things are going i can see that catching on

partholon wrote: »
    if my boss saw returns like that the LAST thing he'd do is up the comission but i guess these guys'll never learn.

Yep, it's mad alright.

I guess it boils down to them being greedy and close minded.
    partholon wrote: »
    by the way, did you see the thread in politics about some bloke in southhill who's opened his gaff as an illegal bar and is flogging pints for 3 euro a go? he has a fully kitted out bar with kegs and all. they way things are going i can see that catching on

Class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dublindude wrote: »
    Class!

Not for the neighbours though! Loads of noise, people chatting outside and cars double parking outside your house. I'd not be impressed

Isn't it in that mad estate where all the gangs live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Indeed it is. Other side of the city to the more famous Moyross but every bit as bad.

Advertisement