Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post something you know most other people don't know [merged]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

well, if you happen to be stuck in the arctic, and unable to eat the liver of a polar bear, to get essential vitamins such as vit c to stop scurvy, eat the stomach contents of local herbavores.
    their stomachs can digest the local mosses and flora that grow in these places, while ours cant. the recommendation is to let it freeze in the ice, then boil it and eat with something else. it may keep you alove, but apparently it tastes like crap.

indiana jones creator george lucas thought that it wasnt a good enough script or idea to be a blockbuster movie, and stephen speilberg only worked on it becuase he wasnt doing anything at the time....
    20 years and onto the 4th film later, its one of the biggest film series in moviedom.
    i also know that harrison ford wasnt supposed to be the lead actor either. cant recall who it was. someone like tom sellick i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

The 'mare' bit from nightmare is an old swedish word which refers to a type of demon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The first words spoke from the moon were "the eagle has landed!" not "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind"

Close but no cigar. :p

As per the BBC
    BBC wrote:
    Armstrong had earlier reported the lunar module's safe landing at 2017 GMT with the words: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." As he put his left foot down first Armstrong declared: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

the only place in the world you can dig straight down and end up in china or anywhere near it is south america, if you dig down from ireland you end up just south of new zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

BBC wrote:
    Armstrong had earlier reported the lunar module's safe landing at 2017 GMT with the words: "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." As he put his left foot down first Armstrong declared: "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
    Neil Young to this day claims that his first words were "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" but that a blip in the audio channel blocked out the word 'a'. Not surprising really because otherwise his sentence doesn't make much sense ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Cionnfhaolaidh

Human flesh tastes like bacon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭pretty-in-pink

if a shark gets turned upside down (on its back), it cant breathe and will die.

Most nursery rhymes were written about sex, to teach people about stds and the like.
    Jack and Jill is all about popping you cherry- they actually wrapped the male appendage in vinegar and brown paper, in the believe it stopped it hurting etc

Goosey Goosey Gander is about either crabs, or the clap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

BBC doesn't stand for British Broadcasting Corporation - it's actually Birmingham Broadcasting Corporation.

June 21 and December 21 don't have exclusive rights to longest / shortest days of year status.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Contrary to popular belief I do not want to have sex with my mother!

• Advertisement

*Tripper* wrote:
    Contrary to popular belief I do not want to have sex with my mother!
    oh the yore ma retort possibility......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

if a shark gets turned upside down (on its back), it cant breathe and will die.

Most nursery rhymes were written about sex, to teach people about stds and the like.
    Jack and Jill is all about popping you cherry- they actually wrapped the male appendage in vinegar and brown paper, in the believe it stopped it hurting etc

Goosey Goosey Gander is about either crabs, or the clap.

(o_O) you have sex on the brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sleepy wrote:
    Neil Young to this day claims that his first words were "That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" but that a blip in the audio channel blocked out the word 'a'. Not surprising really because otherwise his sentence doesn't make much sense ;)

Neil Young might have gotten high occasionally, but he never went to the moon.

(o_O) you have sex on the brain
    I'll take the fifth on that one.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

Diesel is not flammable but rather combustible (self ignites under extreme pressure). Diesel engines therefore don’t have spark plugs to ignite the fuel, but rely on heat to bring about combustion. You can drop lit matches onto a puddle of Diesel all day and the match will just go out.

Unlike petrol.... in which case have an ambulance handy lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

the only place in the world you can dig straight down and end up in china or anywhere near it is south america, if you dig down from ireland you end up just south of new zealand
    1400 kilometres south-east of New Zealand to be exact. Found that out a while ago. I was bored and was playing with google earth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

littlejp wrote:
    dogs can't look up.

A true classic, you've got red on you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

The actress who plays Alzheimers' sufferer Ellis Grey in Grey's Anatomy, is the daughter of Richard Burton (but not Liz Taylor).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Petrol does not explode, the vapours may ignite and burn quickly and violently, but petrol of itself is not an explosive substance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭The Denouncer

The little girl who gets blown up near the start of The Untouchables is Kirsten Dunst! I know its not on IMDB under her name or the movie but it is her! Its such a tiny role its not credited anywhere, but look its her I'm telling you. Just the right age and same face..that's her before Interview with the Vampire..it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Slow coach wrote:
    Neil Young might have gotten high occasionally, but he never went to the moon.
    ROFL, oops!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Diesel engines function on compression ignition, almost any organic matter can be combusted this way, corns, grasses, leaves, spices.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

SDooM wrote:
    The only big cat that purs is a cheetah.

You were watching that programme on Sky LOL

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

jesus is a vampire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

jesus is a vampire.
    Really?
    Had I known that, I wouldn't have let him build my hot rod.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Michael Keatons (batman, beetlejuice etc..) real name is Michael Douglas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Diesel is not flammable but rather combustible (self ignites under extreme pressure). Diesel engines therefore don’t have spark plugs to ignite the fuel, but rely on heat to bring about combustion. You can drop lit matches onto a puddle of Diesel all day and the match will just go out.

Unlike petrol.... in which case have an ambulance handy lol :D

So the chances of a freak diesel fight accident are quite slim then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Paying a bill of €111.12c with a €500 note gets you 1 of every note and coin as change. There is no other amount that does this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Calibos wrote:
    Paying a bill of €111.12c with a €500 note gets you 1 of every note and coin as change. There is no other amount that does this.
    cept the 500;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Calibos wrote:
    Sept another €500 note ofc :D

AWWW SNIPED!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

The Bollox wrote:
    yes there is. there's a very shítty looking statue of some guy (not sure who) between the spire and the bridge and I don't mean O'Connell himself

[edit] it's Jim Larkin
    Terry wrote:
    Big sick ugly?

Not the same name, but it made me think of him.
    The Bollox wrote:
    :confused::confused::confused:
    Terry wrote:
    Ahh, someone will get it.

The thing that I know that most other people don't is........

I know who Terry is on about......

Big Sick Ugly Jim Martin

:)

Well, nobody else seemed to know!

• Advertisement

Nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

"My Way" is an English version of a French song, "Comme d'habitude".

When Paul Anka bought the rights to the French version, it prevented a previous English version from being released.

Otherwise instead of Frank Sinatra, it would have been David Bowie singing

Varkov wrote:
    Each of the suits on a deck of cards represents the four major pillars of the economy in the middle ages: heart represented the Church, spades represented the military, clubs represented agriculture, and diamonds represented the merchant class.

Stewardesses is the longest word typed with only the left hand.

Shakespeare invented the words "assassination" and "bump."

Varkov pooped in a secret place.

Should that not be the other way around?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭event

Pelé got his name from an Irish missionary in Brazil. He used to watch kids playing and used the word as Gaeilge 'Peil' which means football, this was then associated with the great Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

this is false

He did not receive the nickname "Pelé" until his school days, when it is claimed he was given it because of his pronunciation of the name of his favorite player, local Vasco da Gama goalkeeper Bilé, which he misspoke "Pilé". He originally disliked the nickname, being suspended from school for punching the classmate that coined it, but the more he complained the more it stuck. In his autobiography, Pelé stated he had no idea what the name means, nor did his old friends. Apart from the assertion that the name is derived from that of Bilé, the word has no known meaning, although it does resemble the Irish language word 'Peil', meaning football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

i thought pele was his real name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

All brazilians usually have some crazy long name. http://www.slate.com/id/2143404/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

MooseJam wrote:

Nope. AFAIK, his real name is(something along these lines): Edson Arantes Di Nascimento.:D

Correct me if I'm wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

MooseJam wrote:

Me too. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, AKA Pelé.

Zico's real name was Arthur Antunes Coimbra.

Generate your own Brazilian Soccer shirt name:

here

Mine is Coito! (Based on slow coach and not my real name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Brewerys use the same yeast for their beer permanently. The batch of yeast in guinness is the same one they've used since 1759 (afaik)

they keep samples of the yeast in yeast vaults in case of accidents that would destroy the batch they're using. Getting new yeast would completely change the taste of the beer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Women blink twice as many times as men do.

3.1415926535897932384626433832795028841971693993751058209749445923078164062862089986280348253421170679.

and just to comment on that...

Pi has been calculated to 2,260,321,363 digits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

santa isn't real:eek: :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Ishmael wrote:
    There is no spoon!

New Jersey has a spoon museum with over 5,400 spoons from almost all the states.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭mad m

My brother in law got married last week by a priest called Ted!!!! Really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

I don't know anything of value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Mairt wrote:
    The last statue to stand on O'Connell St. was the statue of our lady at the Gresham taxi rank.
    What about those Chernobyl rabbits that were there last year?

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote:
    I don't know anything of value

I have knowledge on me that would cost you a lifetime's income to divulge. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Richard Nixon's middle name was Milhouse.

Milhouse Van Houten's middle name is Mussolini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

If all the electricity in the world was turned off for a day, the Ozone would heal itself

• Advertisement
Advertisement