Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post something you know most other people don't know [merged]

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

The Sun will expand to Red Giant phase in 7.8 billion years and boil the Earth's oceans away while the atmosphere escapes into space.

The Large Hadron Collider in CERN is set to switch on in May 2008 and has a chance of creating a black hole or multiple black holes which could destroy the Earth.

By 2049, It is estimated a $1000 computer will exceed the capabilities of the Human race!

China will soon become the number 1 English speaking country in the World.

The Arecibo message is a radio message that was beamed into space aimed at the globular star cluster M13 some 25,000 light years away. It's purpose was to make contact with Extra-Terrestrials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

when people say 'back in a jiffy', little do they realise that a jiffy is 1/100th of a second. its an actual unit of time!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Conor108 wrote: »
    The Sun will expand to Red Giant phase in 7.8 billion years and boil the Earth's oceans away while the atmosphere escapes into space.

[/URL]

dont worry people! Its thought that the suns gravity will weaken as a result, sending earth into a more distant orbit and saving the planet! yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

Spook_ie wrote: »
    realy, Whats light made of?

Waves of water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

If you are decapitated your brain can remain concious for up to seven seconds.

There was this hairy Chinese kid knocking about years ago but doctors said he was completely healthy, he just had some excema and a boil.

Scientists reckon in a few decades you will be able to get up in the morning and have a chat with your yoghurt.

There once was a deaf girl who hit her head off a wall and then she could hear.

There is this little monkey fella in India who runs a toll booth across a river.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Mairt wrote: »
    Of its crew!. Why?... To fool other ships into thinking that the Capts' ship posed no threat. The capt. on attacking the other ship would reveal his ships strength (for boarding).

So when your being honest your being 'above board'!....

Touche, Sir!:p

The main theme from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly was inspired by the yowling of coyotes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Somthing else..

You know the symbol for your fuel tank on your car dashboard?.. Well the nossle will always be on the same side as your fuel cap.. So you know what side of the car to drive up to the fuel pump.
    Wrong on a 97 Honda Civic 5dr at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

andrew wrote: »
    dont worry people! Its thought that the suns gravity will weaken as a result, sending earth into a more distant orbit and saving the planet! yay!

Phew! Was worried I'd have to move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

TheThing! wrote: »
    Pi is exactly 3

Damn you fool. I request a ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BBC doesn't stand for British Broadcasting Corporation - it's actually Birmingham Broadcasting Corporation.

Not only untrue but not even a myth I've heard, it was the British Broadcasting Company then got nationalised in to a Corporation - about 80 years ago. And its not meant anything else since...

For the "something most people don't know", the BBC was started by radio makers who needed a radio station for people to listen to, cause there was no reason to buy a radio otherwise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,555 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somthing else..

You know the symbol for your fuel tank on your car dashboard?.. Well the nossle will always be on the same side as your fuel cap.. So you know what side of the car to drive up to the fuel pump.

You just made me check - its not on mine, or my dads. Both Italian, though, and they're a wee bit backwards there at times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

no matter how many times i shake it....theres always a little fcuk of a dribble that comes out:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

How many fingers I am holding up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

The opposite of a vacume is a flanum:p:cool:

The opposite of a vacume is a flanum:p:cool:

On that note, what's the point of a vacuum cleaner? By definition there's no dirt in a vacuum to bloody clean!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

im craving pizza right now(does that count:confused:)

pebbles21 wrote: »
    no matter how many times i shake it....theres always a little fcuk of a dribble that comes out:mad:

bbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D

If you fold an ordinary sheet of paper in half 14 times it would be as high as a short person (1.6m). After 17 folds it would reach the height of a two story house. After 50 folds it would be close to the sun. 60 folds and it is the size of the Milky Way Galaxy. After 100 folds it would be 12 billion light years thick, the same as the radius of the known Universe.

Try it at home if you don't believe me.

If you fold an ordinary sheet of paper in half 14 times it would be as high as a short person (1.6m). After 17 folds it would reach the height of a two story house. After 50 folds it would be close to the sun. 60 folds and it is the size of the Milky Way Galaxy. After 100 folds it would be 12 billion light years thick, the same as the radius of the known Universe.

Try it at home if you don't believe me.

huh?
    as in an A4 page? how the **** is that possible?(I mean the house bit)

huh?
    as in an A4 page? how the **** is that possible?(I mean the house bit)

The house bit is pretty tame compared to the size of the Universe. Anyways its because of exponential growth. The paper doubles in thickness at every fold and pretty soon it begins to really take off.

An A4 page is about 0.1 mm thick:

After one fold it is 0.2 mm,
    two folds = 0.4 mm,
    3 folds = 0.8 mm,
    4 folds = 1.6 mm,
    5 folds = 3.2 mm,
    6 folds = 6.4 mm,
    7 folds = 12.8 mm,
    8 folds = 25.6 mm,
    9 folds = 51.2 mm,
    10 folds = 0.1 m,
    11 folds = 0.2 m,
    12 folds = 0.4 m,
    13 folds = 0.8 m,
    14 folds = 1.6 m,
    15 folds = 3.2 m,
    16 folds = 6.4 m,
    17 folds = 12.8 m (about the height of a 2 story house).

• Advertisement

The house bit is pretty tame compared to the size of the Universe. Anyways its because of exponential growth. The paper doubles in thickness at every fold and pretty soon it begins to really take off.

An A4 page is about 0.1 mm thick:

After one fold it is 0.2 mm,
    two folds = 0.4 mm,
    3 folds = 0.8 mm,
    4 folds = 1.6 mm,
    5 folds = 3.2 mm,
    6 folds = 6.4 mm,
    7 folds = 12.8 mm,
    8 folds = 25.6 mm,
    9 folds = 51.2 mm,
    10 folds = 0.1 m,
    11 folds = 0.2 m,
    12 folds = 0.4 m,
    13 folds = 0.8 m,
    14 folds = 1.6 m,
    15 folds = 3.2 m,
    16 folds = 6.4 m,
    17 folds = 12.8 m (about the height of a 2 story house).

IM BAFFLED:eek:

im assumin ya would have to hold it down at some point:confused:

IM BAFFLED:eek:

im assumin ya would have to hold it down at some point:confused:

I don't think it is actually possible to fold an ordinary sheet of paper more than about 7 times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Nothing is Impossible. According to Addidas anyway.

iFight wrote: »
    Nothing is Impossible. According to Addidas anyway.

I think it's Impossible is Nothing. One doesn't necessarily imply the other. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

javaboy wrote: »
    I think it's Impossible is Nothing. One doesn't necessarily imply the other. :D

damn...

St Patrick's real name was Maewyn Succat, so have a happy St Maewyn Succat's day tomorrow everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

bbbbbbbaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:D:D:D:D

Rosie? Or is that just a general Tipp thing?

Advertisement