Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week, too?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Had BPBP's new 'India pale lager', on Sunday, 'Vlad the Baker' on draught in Mulligans. I'm not a lager fan in general but I quite liked this. Went down pretty well right after a 30 minute cycle in the warm evening sun. Think it was a bit on the pricey side (got 6 euro change from a twenty for that and a glass of Chardonnay), but if you're a fan of lager, it's probably one of the better one's I've had.

Followed that up back at home with a bottle of Sierra Nevada's 2014 Southern Hemisphere Harvest which was fresh into Drinkstore. Meh, I wasn't overly impressed, was expecting something a lot sharper and hopful, but it just went down pretty bland, at 8.50 a bottle (admittedly a large 1pt 8fl oz bottle which as we all know is ... ... a certain amount of milliliters..?) I wouldn't pick it up again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Tonight I had an 8 Degrees Full Irish and a cask Brú Dubh in ATG with my Dad. The Full Irish was very tasty - a lovely fruit salad flavour - but I was really impressed by the Brú Dubh. It seemed very fresh and was served at a lovely cellar temperature. The flavour was rich and sweet with little of the tang I associate with older casks. I'd definitely get some more when I next come across it, even bottle or keg form.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

My last drain pour was a DFH (Midas Touch). Their reputation is mind boggling, and that discovery channel show about them is annoying as hell, although they do have some interesting beers in their lineup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

strobe wrote: »

Followed that up back at home with a bottle of Sierra Nevada's 2014 Southern Hemisphere Harvest which was fresh into Drinkstore. Meh, I wasn't overly impressed, was expecting something a lot sharper and hopful, but it just went down pretty bland, at 8.50 a bottle (admittedly a large 1pt 8fl oz bottle which as we all know is ... ... a certain amount of milliliters..?) I wouldn't pick it up again.

Had that a while back, meh sums it up.
    Saw one of their Beer Camp across America Double IPA last night, here in California, and picked it up. It had it's moments but a bit underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Azza89

Grayditch wrote: »
    I dunno. It has a bit of a weird aftertaste. I like Delerium Red, although that's heavy on the cherries rather than raspberry.

Have to agree. The Raebeus is a little underwhelming when compared to the strength of flavour of the Delerium.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I wasnt a fan of the raebus either but then again i dont like raspberries so thought thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I felt like it was missing sourness. Dunno about ye but any fruity beer (bar cider) I expect some sourness. I think that instantly put me at a disadvantage with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Centennial IPA and Full Sail.

After moving gaff, I'm pretty broke for a while and worked out that those two are probably the best, cost effective IPA's. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Founders, Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head all slated on the one page, must be a new record

drumswan wrote: »
    Founders, Sierra Nevada and Dogfish Head all slated on the one page, must be a new record

Yeah maybe one day they will catch up with the irish breweries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Trouble Brewing Lazy Sunday Saison - me likey

Got undercharged for a bottle of Of Foam And Fury and decided not to go back and be honest about it. Although saying that, I didn't have the time, anyway.

Karma got me, this bottle seems off. Very sour with little sweetness and an unusual musty aftertaste.

Not the OFAF I'm used to. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

drumswan wrote: »
    But it's not really Dogfish Head. It's Charles Well's with a Dogfish Head logo. So not really talking down DFH. I love the 60 minute.

I just came across this review, pretty dismissive of DNA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OUQHmXfbhU

Chap above was pouring Midas Touch down the drain. DNA is a run of the mill English ESB, was poor from the bottle, didnt bother with it when I was in Spoons.

Picked these up in Bradley's earlier. I'll have one at the weekend and save the others for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Picked these up in Bradley's earlier. I'll have one at the weekend and save the others for Christmas.

Well that's the Father in Law's Christmas present sorted!

edit- Just looking back at a previous order of this from the Drinkstore. It was €11.99. So that's €3 for a cardboard tube?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

In a bar last night and they had run out of MacIvor's cider that myself and a friend were drinking.

Barman: "If you want instead, we have Magners, Koppaberg, Stella Cider...aw aye, and a ****in' weird French one!?"
    Me: "I'll have the ****in' weird French one, please."

rkqafc.jpg

irish_goat wrote: »
    In a bar last night and they had run out of MacIvor's cider that myself and a friend were drinking.

Barman: "If you want instead, we have Magners, Koppaberg, Stella Cider...aw aye, and a ****in' weird French one!?"
    Me: "I'll have the ****in' weird French one, please."

Isn't it strange that it's not unusual for a Barman to say something like that, but could you imagine a waiter saying something similar? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

Had the new offering from Bo Bristle last night "Smokey Bacon" a smoked ale... Quite nice ...

laros wrote: »
    Had the new offering from Bo Bristle last night "Smokey Bacon" a smoked ale... Quite nice ...

Nice, where was that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭laros

Nice, where was that?

Hi it was a sample from the brewery.... :) according to their facebook page it should be appearing in pubs this weekend...
    Smokey Bacon Alert!!

Our newest brew is currently on its way to Simon Lambert & Sons, The Norseman, L. Mulligan. Grocer., Salt House, Against The Grain Dublin, Alfie Byrne's by Galway Bay Brewery. Not bad for a first day! More updates to follow when we have them, If you're looking to get this beer in your pub, or if you want your local publican to get it contact Vanguard Beer Collective before its all gone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

In O'Neills and they had a White Gypsy logo on the cask machine.
    "I'll have one of those" and got "we have Curim in that, not White Gypsy"
    "OK I'll have a Sabotage"
    "The tap is broken"
    "Fine, I'll have a Barrelhead Pale Ale"

I got a Barrelhead Amber.

It's grand but I had to work to get my pint! :D

Heroditas wrote: »
    In O'Neills and they had a White Gypsy logo on the cask machine.
    "I'll have one of those" and got "we have Curim in that, not White Gypsy"
    "OK I'll have a Sabotage"
    "The tap is broken"
    "Fine, I'll have a Barrelhead Pale Ale"

I got a Barrelhead Amber.

It's grand but I had to work to get my pint! :D

Ha, I was in there this evening and had a Dungarvan Stout on draught, it was delicious.

Also headed into Porterhouse Central for some of the ipa festival offerings, the cask Hop Head was great!

Clown Shoes Clementine White Ale. Lovely summer sipper.

Old Engine Oil porter and 2 Whistleblowers is... a fun mix.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Had a bottle of Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale tonight. Little bit disappointed. I tried it a few months ago and enjoyed it much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

So, my cider pursuit is continuing. Cider loving guests are arriving tomorrow- any thoughts on the following, people in the know?

MacIvors_AWARDBOTTLE_312_520_noarrow2.png

From Wicklow I think:

0001719_craigies_irish_cider_50cl_400.jpeg

Macivors is really good, craiges is pretty bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Well that's the Father in Law's Christmas present sorted!

edit- Just looking back at a previous order of this from the Drinkstore. It was €11.99. So that's €3 for a cardboard tube?

The ABV has gone up slightly, from 7.9% to 8.4%, which may account for a small increase, but probably not all of it.

Had a bottle of it a few weeks ago and it was savage. Better than last years batch. It's a pity it's released during the summer. It's not a summer drink, it's something that should be enjoyed on a cold, dark night in the depths of winter in front of a nice fire.

• Advertisement

Metalman Yerba - bit cough bottly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement