Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is half a bottle of wine a binge?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭

Bear with me, I don't want to scare anyone, I just want other people's opinions. My argument is based on piecing together bits of information heard/read over the years, if anyone can spot a flaw in my logic then please point it out!

The percentage alcohol by volume (ABV) indicates how many units in a litre of the drink, e.g. 11% wine means 11 units in a litre of that wine etc.

A 700ml bottle of wine at 14% ABV has 0.7 * 14 = 9.8 units of alcohol.

The "one small glass of wine is one unit" description comes from the days when we drank 125ml glasses of French plonk at 8% ABV, i.e. 0.125 * 8 = 1 unit

If a binge is described as five or more units/drinks in one sitting, then having half of that bottle of Chilean Merlot is a binge!!

Am I right...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

In theory yes, in reality no. I'm all for drinking to your limit where you can hold a conversation although I'm contradicting myself there considering the amount of times I've been absolutely pissed the last 5/6 weeks.

> Off I go to P.I:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Yep asolutely right:D

(head slightly melted)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Yes, what you posted is correct. However, there are a few points that spring to mind when I read your post.

I'm not sure of your gender, but 5 units and above for the average male is considered binge drinking. For the average female, this is calculated at 4 or more units. The word average is important there. The 'unit' measurement is merely a guideline, and one that doesn't account for important factors such as individual physiology, the time period taken to drink the booze or when food was last consumed.

It's very possible that somebody who falls outside the 'average' could consume less and do more damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I thought 24 units was a target? Is that where I've been going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I thought 24 units was a target? Is that where I've been going wrong?

Yeah it should be 36

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

For me a half bottle of wine = coma.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

Doh!
    Yes, I'm female and the binge = 5 units was being me being generous :o
    It's a nice amount for me, can still hold reasonably sensible conversations afterwards and it's pretty much always accompanied by food.

But wine really is lethal in convincing you it's not that bad, isn't it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭SarahJ

I'm glad I'm off drink, I don't have to worry about this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I would of thought 2/3 bottles was a binge.

1 bottle wets the lips.

2 to be nice and toasty

3 to get rat arsed.

If you're going to do something do it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

in the same breath, a pint of beer contains 2 units of alcohol, so 2 pints in one sitting and the average lady is binge drinking?????
    two and a half pints and the average man is binge drinking....
    crazy!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

My liver loves me. Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

robtri wrote: »
    in the same breath, a pint of beer contains 2 units of alcohol, so 2 pints in one sitting and the average lady is binge drinking?????
    two and a half pints and the average man is binge drinking....
    crazy!!!!!!!!!

What beer are you drinking? If the beer is 3.5% then it's two units per pint. A lot of beer is at least 5%, which is 2.84 units.

Don't fall into the a-pint-of-beer-equals-2-units trap. It depends on the strength.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

My favorite saying about wine:

One glass, shes everyones.
    Two glasses, shes anyones.
    Three glasses, no-one wants her.

Fits me anyway.:)

I dunno about this binge drinking thing. At one point in my life three bottles was a good session. These days one glass and Im sozzled. I think if you drink to get rat-assed on a regular basis, (coupla times a week) or if you drink a glass of wine every evening without fail, (and hate to miss it) then you need to watch what you are at. You can read all the statistics in the world, but commonsense and a knowledge of your own behaviour is what ya need, really. Im sober and those percentages ^ addled me.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What beer are you drinking? If the beer is 3.5% then it's two units per pint. A lot of beer is at least 5%, which is 2.84 units.

Don't fall into the a-pint-of-beer-equals-2-units trap. It depends on the strength.

fell straight into that one...... that makes binge drinking even worse, 2 pints and an average guy is binge drinking!!!:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

robtri wrote: »
    fell straight into that one...... that makes binge drinking even worse, 2 pints and an average guy is binge drinking!!!:eek::eek:

Try telling them that!! :D

It is a perception thing though, if I said I went out last night and had 5 vodka + cokes you'd all think I was a lush, but if i said I stayed in and shared a bottle of wine with OH then that'd be much more acceptable, but it's the same damage...
    Similarly for guys with 4 whiskeys compared to 2 pints...
    Oh and some wine bottles are 750ml, not 700ml as in my first post, so it's even worse!! My head hurts!

(add obligatory comment about how it's nearly the weekend and time for a drink :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes, by definition of units of alcohol, it is a binge.

Which is unfortunate because I know plenty of people who'd have that every night or every second night, and only consider having the REST of the bottle on a Saturday night to be the binge part.

It's interesting the effect global warming has had on ABV content of wine. When I was in my mid teens, and allowed a glass of wine at the parents' dinner table, wines usually weighed in somewhere between 9% and 11% ABV. These days it's difficult to find bottles below 12.4% - 14% ABV.

I've been told by someone who actively studies wine and works in the trade for a living that some French vinyards have surreptitiously been scouting for land in the SE of England, because the weather is getting too hot. Hot weather = burst of sugar in the grapes = output that comes closer to port than wine.

I'm sure M&S recently started a drive towards bottles of wine back at 8-9% for those working laydeez who like to have a glass or two every evening when they get home but would still like to have a liver by their 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

Have to say there are some eves I love a glass or two of wine sitting on the couch after a days work.

Now I'm going to have to pretend to myself I never read this thread and forget all this stuff about binge drinking so that I can continue it. So many things you enjoy in life are not good for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

oh man. i just looked it up,a nd apparnetly one glass is a binge for me.

feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

:eek:Gawd, my liver must be shot.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Crikey and I thought I was just being sociable - now I'm a binging alcoholic :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tammie

:confused:i have a bottle of wine on a monday wednesday and definatley saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

A full bottle on a week night? That's a fair whack.

Depends on the person as to how drunk it will get you, but I presume just because something doesn't get you pissed, doesn't mean damage isn't being done.

A half bottle would get me nicely in the mood. It would take about a bottle and a half though to get me absolutely hammered (and I'm talking extremely hammered - blackout hammered).

From this weeks Sunday Times
    WOMEN AND ALCOHOL: THE FACTS
    “The benefits of alcohol are going to vary by individual, depending on genes and lifestyle,” explains Samir Zakhari, director of metabolic research at the National Institute of Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse. “But the risks — which we know much more about — are a lot higher for women.” Here’s what we know — and what we don’t — about how alcohol affects the female body:
    GENDER BENDERS
    If two people, of opposite genders but equal weight, drink the same amount and type of alcohol, the woman will get drunker, and stay that way longer. The reasons come down to basic physiology: alcohol passes through the digestive tract and is dispersed in the body’s water. Because women
    always have less water in their bodies, the alcohol is less dilute for them. Women’s bodies also produce less alcohol dehydrogenase (ADH) — the molecule responsible for breaking alcohol down so that the body can eliminate it. Less water and less ADH mean more alcohol stays in the body, and for longer.
    In the long term, women are more likely than men to develop alcohol-related liver disease and brain damage. And women are just as likely to develop alcohol-related heart disease as men, even though they still tend to drink less over a lifetime.
    Intoxicated women are also far more likely to be the victims of date rape or sexual assault than men. And they are more prone to alcohol-induced blackouts, which can make reporting such attacks difficult.
    IN VINO VERITAS?
    One of the biggest misconceptions that women fall prey to is the idea that wine is a safer, healthier choice than fattening, masculine beer. While wine has some appealing constituents that other alcoholic beverages do not (namely, antioxidants), most experts say it’s a myth that wine is healthier. The alcohol content of wine far outweighs the benefits of these other ingredients.
    BREAST CANCER CAVEAT
    As for the link between alcohol and breast cancer, studies show that drinking, on average, one unit of alcohol per day can increase a woman’s risk of breast cancer by about 6%. Research has also indicated that women who drink heavily (three glasses a day or more) face a 30% higher risk of breast cancer. “The bottom line is that women who are genetically predisposed to breast cancer should drink less if they want to be on the safe side,” says Zakhari.
    BABIES AND THE BOTTLE
    It’s no secret that drinking while pregnant can threaten the health of your unborn child. The risk of fetal alcohol syndrome has long been tied to excessive alcohol consumption during the first trimester of pregnancy, when organs and body features are still developing. That said, many women drink a glass of wine or two during their pregnancy, and there is no hard evidence to suggest that moderate consumption is harmful. In May last year, the government changed its advice to recommend that pregnant women abstain from drinking. But as this advice was based on no new research, the picture is still confusing. Indeed, around the same time, the NHS advisory body, the National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence, issued draft guidance saying it was okay to drink small amounts, and recent research at UCL suggests that children born to light drinkers during pregnancy were less likely to have behavioural or cognitive problems or be hyperactive.
    AN ELIXIR OF YOUTH?
    More research is needed before doctors can say whether alcohol does, in fact, reduce your chances of suffering from type 2 diabetes or dementia. But most experts do agree that a drink a day can offer at least some protection against cardiovascular disease, particularly for the over-fifties.
    However, ageing reduces our tolerance for alcohol, most likely because it also reduces the amount of water in our bodies. Studies have shown that older adults reach higher blood-alcohol levels than younger people consuming the same amount. So reaching the half-century mark doesn’t necessarily mean you should party like a rock star. Moderation is still key, at any age.
    WHAT’S A WISE WOMAN TO DO?
    Take a look at the official guidelines and compare them honestly with your own consumption. The department of health’s guidelines state that women can drink between two to three units a day with a standard glass of wine being two units, and one large glass amounting to three units.
    In the UK, an estimated 4m women drink more than the recommended level. While the potential benefits of moderate drinking may be equal for both sexes, the risks are higher for women, which means that women need to be more cautious than men.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Half a bottle is a sin! if your going to open it you have to finish it! as for being a binge well drinking a very good bottle of wine could never be consider a binge, only an act of pleasure! drinking poor wine mite as well be a binge...

nialo wrote: »
    Half a bottle is a sin! if your going to open it you have to finish it! as for being a binge well drinking a very good bottle of wine could never be consider a binge, only an act of pleasure! drinking poor wine mite as well be a binge...
    I reckon youre tongue in cheek, but honestly, many an alcoholic started out with comments like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Oryx wrote: »
    I reckon youre tongue in cheek, but honestly, many an alcoholic started out with comments like that.

Possibly! but i think im safe enough. Bottle of wine once a month if even :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tammie

nialo wrote: »
    Possibly! but i think im safe enough. Bottle of wine once a month if even :)
    yes your well safe with that!after reading this thread im might want to start cutting down:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I never drink during the week , never on a Sunday and rarely on a Friday but Saturday I go on the lash :pac:. According to this though I'm an alcoholic because I answered yes to two questions , 11 and 18. Any more alcos on here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I drink almost every night.

My main problem with drink is i get into the habit of having them and one night turns into two turns into 7 nights and then the longer that goes on for 2bottles of beer turn into 3 into 4 and so it goes so i have to stop then.

I stopped when i got pregnant completely then when he was a few months i had one every now and again cos i was afraid to drink while in charge of a new born but then as i said its snowballs for me.

So if i drank 3 bottles of beer per night, doesnt sound like a lot and doesnt get me drunk however thats 21 bottles per week which i am sure is too much for a girl.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Squiggle wrote: »
    I never drink during the week , never on a Sunday and rarely on a Friday but Saturday I go on the lash :pac:. According to this though I'm an alcoholic because I answered yes to two questions , 11 and 18. Any more alcos on here?

Holy crap, that's a broad definition! I answered yes to two questions, 3 and 6, but not 100% of the time. If I'm an alcoholic that is veeeery bad news for some of my friends! :eek:

Advertisement