Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ben Affleck vs. Sam Harris & Bill Maher on Real Time

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

vibe666 wrote: »
    how on earth is it proving your point that the only thing preventing some christians in the US from murdering gays is the man made laws that govern them? :confused:

Because as I already said, these Christians are marginalised. They are on the Nth string of the extreme right. Just because you have the WBC, with a handful of members doesn't automatically mean that religious extremism is as big a problem in the US as say Iran or Saudi Arabia.

One must look at the numbers and assertain the degree of what we are talking about. The real IRA still exists in the country but do not pose an exestential threat to the Northern State (if you can call it that) or the republic unlike when the Provos emerged in the 60s'.

One could point to Anders Behring Breivik in Norway and thus confidently assume that Norway has a big a problem with extremism as Egypt (Muslim Brotherhood anyone?)0.000001% of Norway would agree with Breivik, yet the Muslim Brotherhood is quite popular in Egypt looking at the last election.
    We believe that Zionism, the United States, and England are gangs that kill children and women and men and destroy houses and fields. .... Zionism is a gang, not a country. So we will resist them until they don't have a country
    In October 2007, the Muslim Brotherhood issued a detailed political platform. Amongst other things it called for a board of Muslim clerics to oversee the government, and for limiting the office of the presidency to Muslim men. In the 'Issues and Problems' chapter of the platform, it declared that a woman was not suited to be president because the post's religious and military duties 'conflict with her nature, social and other humanitarian roles.' While underlining 'equality between men and women in terms of their human dignity,` the document warned against 'burdening women with duties against their nature or role in the family.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/15/us-women-un-rights-idUSBRE92E03D20130315

Put simply over half, yes half of the adult population of Egypt voted in favor of the Muslim Brotherhoods candidates with a view of implemented Sharia Law fully in Egypt and thus limiting the rights of Women and other minorities including Gays.

Absolam wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the notion; there are plenty of fundamental Christians who would advocate biblical punishments for sins. Or at least, I wouldn't be quick to dismiss the notion that an equivalent proportion of Christians hold similarly fundamentalist views to their Muslim counterparts.

Grand, where are the poll figures to support your claim?
    I suspect that not all Muslims living in the more rabid theocracies (never mind the millions of secular Muslims who don't) are as enthusiastic about the robust interpretation of their religion as they may feel obliged to appear to be; I think the fact that in some places you can't get away with not shouting 'stone the sodomites' may affect some peoples voices just as much as the fact that in some places you can't get away with shouting 'stone the sodomites' affects others.

Can you prove the notion? The statistics are there in regards these moral issues from the Muslim World.

Since the revolution 4,000 gays have been executed in Iran. How many gays have been murdered by the Christian right since 1979 in the US a country with 5 times the population?

Over 80% of people in Egypt and Jordan believe it is acceptable to stone a woman to death if the commit adultery.
    How many people in Utah, the most religious state in the US would agree with this. I have asked this 4 times now and yet no one wants to answer...

It's intellectually dishonest to vex you? blah blah.

Your whole argument stems from one point, that bad things happen to gay people too in the west, the west had a history of criminalising gays so there is nothing to see and different about today's behavior of Muslim majority countries in 2014.

This whole argument is based on the fact that Muslims are a minority in the West and as Maher pointed out, liberals in the West love to protect minorities,even though some of them hold abhorrent and grotesque views on Women and Homosexuals. It also helps that they are usually non white.

Still waiting on this from vibe666....

if they did the same survey on christians in the US i wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more right wing extremists in christianity there than there are in islam, particularly looking at what is going on in the US at the moment.

On a serious note, can you substantiate any of your claims above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Your whole argument stems from one point, that bad things happen to gay people too in the west, the west had a history of criminalising gays so there is nothing to see and different about today's behavior of Muslim majority countries in 2014.

This whole argument is based on the fact that Muslims are a minority in the West and as Maher pointed out, liberals in the West love to protect minorities,even though some of them hold abhorrent and grotesque views on Women and Homosexuals. It also helps that they are usually non white.

I often wonder whether or not some peoples problem is actually with Islam, or if its just another excuse to get digs in at the 'usual suspects'.

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »
    I often wonder whether or not some peoples problem is actually with Islam, or if its just another excuse to get digs in at the 'usual suspects'.

Still waiting for an answer to my question I put to you regarding the map I posted.... its OK, I know you don't want to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Still waiting on this from vibe666....

you mean something like, say the leader of a southern baptist megachurch (the 2nd largest christian denomination in the US) making a big speech vowing never to give up fighting against LGBT rights and not so subtly pointing his 3000 strong congregation in the direction of Leviticus 20:13?

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/09/tn-pastor-vows-not-to-repent-for-homophobia-god-says-gays-must-be-put-to-death/
    “God said that the sins of the people had infected the very land in which they live,” he explained. “So what happens to people who engage in this activity, this sexual immoral activity? Go to Leviticus 20, God gives us the punishment for engaging in these sins… ‘If a man sleeps with a man as with a woman, they have both committed a detestable thing. They must be put to death. And their blood is on their own hands.’

something like that you mean?

southern baptists are a long way from being a marginalised minority group like the WBC nutbags, who also (entirely coincidentally i'm sure, are a southern baptist offshoot themselves).

southern baptists are the single largest protestant denomination in the US with 15.7 million members and are the 2nd largest christian denomination in the US as a whole after catholics.

as such (unsurprisingly), they carry major weight in US political and social circles thanks to having a previous US President and other major past and present politicians (such as the 13 of the below that are still currently in office) one or two of which could be potential future Republican presidential candidates, like the very popular GOP and far right (extremely anti-gay) golden boy senator Ted Cruz who would certainly get a very large portion of the conservative vote if he ran in the 2016 presidential elections.

and not just politicians either, celebrities such as Alton Brown, Billy Ray Cyrus, Dakota Fanning, Jessica Simpson and more are also SB's with lots of fans and influence.

And wouldn't you know it, most of the US pastors pushing the gay murdering laws in places like Uganda are also southern baptists, shock horror. :rolleyes:

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/12/17/1349571/southern-baptist-minister-encourages-ugandas-kill-the-gays-bill/

And it's not just abroad they are vocal about murdering people for being Gay, plenty have suggested it at home too: http://www.kshb.com/news/state/kansas/kansas-pastor-says-government-should-kill-homosexuals

And lets not forget the far right extreme anti-gay "family research council" is also a heavily financed core southern baptist institution: http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/robert-gagnon-frc-bible-says-gay-sex-worse-incest

and they've had no end of hateful things to say about gay people and have already said publicly that they would happily ban homosexuality and homosexual acts entirely in the US if they could and would have no problem at all "punishing" people just for being gay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Research_Council#Statements_on_homosexuality
    In February 2010, the Family Research Council's Senior Researcher for Policy Studies, Peter Sprigg, stated on NBC's Hardball that gay behavior should be outlawed and that "criminal sanctions against homosexual behavior" should be enforced.

next question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

next question?
    How many gays has Billy Ray Cyrus actually murdered?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

if they did the same survey on christians in the US i wouldn't be at all surprised if there are more right wing extremists in christianity there than there are in islam, particularly looking at what is going on in the US at the moment.

I try to watch Bill Maher every weekend. He has some great and some not-so-great guests. Nobody's perfect.

Anyway, I remember he said on a show a few weeks back, that since 9/11, right wing terrorist were more dangerous for Americans than Islamic terrorists. I think he referenced this article:

U.S. right wing extremists more deadly than jihadists.
    In fact, since 9/11 extremists affiliated with a variety of far-right wing ideologies, including white supremacists, anti-abortion extremists and anti-government militants, have killed more people in the United States than have extremists motivated by al Qaeda's ideology. According to a count by the New America Foundation, right wing extremists have killed 34 people in the United States for political reasons since 9/11. (The total includes the latest shootings in Kansas, which are being classified as a hate crime). By contrast, terrorists motivated by al Qaeda's ideology have killed 21 people in the United States since 9/11.

It's no secret that Maher is a 'militant' Atheist, so it's very stupid for anyone to call him racist for criticising the cult that is Islam. Christianity it seems is an easier target since he himself is white and therefore not a racist.

Maher hates all religions, but when Islam is criticised, people lose their sh*t? It must be because of his political statements on Israel.

you mean something like, say the leader of a southern baptist megachurch....

You answered a different question to the one put.

How many people in Utah (or any other state really) would advocate the killing of someone who committed adultery? We are gauging someones views here, not taking a bit out of a holy book and finding a guilt of association. Notice I never quoted the Quran.

So...

So, again prove the above assertion cause all I am getting is, this person said this, this person said that, the bible said this...
    I am more interested in action, like polls or efforts to pass legislation to murder gays or cheating women, number crunching so to speak. What is the general mindset of Utah for example, do the majority of them want gays to be killed and have they lobbied for such laws. Its a simple question and no amount of red hearings will undo your imminent u-turn or non answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

The issue is the quran. As long as muslims consider it a perfectly revealed scripture it will rot any interpretation. Even peaceful interpretations are contaminated as they can easily be shown as misleading by a more aggressive muslim cleric. Many of the 'nicer' statements are abrogated by later revelations anyway that are more violent or intolerant.
    The issue is that most people have no clue about Islam or how the quran works, or the way it is read, the history behind it, the importance placed on it (many think its just like the bible as moderate christian liberals see it, something to pick and choose from).
    The apologetics that DO know how it works play a double speak game where they say just enough not be be outright lying but also misrepresent the message to the liberals they play at. Reza is one such guy.
    I like Ben, and its sad to see he was not even listening to Sam, at all. He had issues before Sam even spoke.
    Those that seek to diminish the importance of the quran, to question its authority in light of modern morality, are the TRUE reformers of Islam. They are the only muslims that really are on the right path to make a stable truly peaceful Islam, rather than a shakey house of cards illusion that Reza promotes.

Maher hates all religions, but when Islam is criticised, people lose their sh*t? It must be because of his political statements on Israel.

The sun, moon and stars have aligned and I agree with Joseph Brand! What next? Liking mushrooms or joining People Before Profit!:pac:

And in Islamic countries, with Sharia Law they could get away with it because the state is run under Islamic Laws. Islamic Clerics can use the power of the state to round up people they do not like and make their lives miserable However, the USA is not a state run by such laws, in fact the law protects minorities. You seem to think ramblings on the internet somehow equates to the same thing as actual action.

It is amazing that people do not critique grotesque violations of human rights because they are performed by non-whites and they are at the moment the enemy of the United State government.

I discovered a term only recently (I must be getting old) and it's 'social justice warrior'.

Affleck is an SJW. He really came off as an angry, radical teen arguing with his wise, gay parents, Maher and Harris. Now there's an image! :pac:

The incredulous looks Maher gave, when Ben got through another hissy fit was amusing. I thought Ben was on something, the way he kept rubbing his face and smelling his fingers??

I'm wondering why liberals would attack Maher and Harris? Maybe it all stems from the Iraq invasion. We have right wing, christian, hawkish Republicans crusading into the Middle East (Sarah Palin said it was 'god's work') which liberals are rightfully against. But I think some liberals have equated; a hatred of Islam with being pro war/ pro US invasion/ pro drones/ pro bombing campaign/ pro gitmo. They'e separate issues, which I thought they highlighted when they mentioned muslims in the UK.

When I heard about The Puritans, I thought they reminded me of Muslims. The Puritans had a miserable, 'holy', 'pure' existence. As far as I'm concerned it was a thoroughly awful life avoiding pleasure because of its sinfulness, (Is 'Puritan Disco' an oxymoron?). At the risk of sounding like I've gone off on a tangent, the Puritans were around in the 16th and 17th centuries and Islam is a few hundred years behind. But if I say this, I'm obviously a zionist, neo-conservative, hater of brown people and not just someone who disagrees with brainwashing cults*.

* All the major religions and the less major ones.

The sun, moon and stars have aligned and I agree with Joseph Brand! What next? Liking mushrooms or joining People Before Profit!:pac:

Finally, you're right about something. "Even a stopped clock . . . " ;)

Regarding mushrooms. Fry them in real butter, on a hot pan (they can take a lot of heat). Remove when done, and add ground rock salt. Delicious.

Iran has executed over 4,000 people for Homosexual acts. Where is the liberal outrage?

Do we also need to talk about woman's rights? The rights of non believers and believers in other gods? Do you think its bat**** crazy that half of Muslim Nigerians think its acceptable to stone a woman to death for adultery? Where else in the world do so many people hold these beliefs in such numbers?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/gay-saudi-arabian-man-sentenced-to-three-years-and-450-lashes-for-meeting-men-via-twitter-9628204.html

One has to careful about finding fault with Iran (even though it's from a theism/ atheism context) because of the Republican party. I have one friend who foams at the mouth at the mention of a few buzzwords:
    1. Netanyahu
    2. Bush
    3. Cheney
    4. Rumsfeld
    5. Haliburton
    6. Monsanto
    7. Fox

Detestable characters/ entities by all accounts. No questions there. The problem is that if I find any fault with Syria, Gaza, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan etc albeit from a religious point of view, my friend's head will damn near explode! I talk religion, he talks politics. As an atheist himself, somehow the oppression in these countries must not be discussed.

Is there something I'm missing here? As a progressive liberal, I'm open to being enlightened and there's no better forum for clear intelligent answers. ;)

Put simply people prefer to be anti-American/anti-Israel/anti-Western than being an actual liberal, hence many so called liberals are not that at all, they are just anti-american and anti-western and use the veil of liberalism as a cloak. Many of the older ones would have been supporters of the Soviet Union, says it all really. In fact many would prefer that American and Western interests be harmed hence why the soft spot for the likes of Iran when they have a tussle with the great Satan, USA.

Chris Andrews of Sinn Fein
    chris-andrews-assad-pic-1-630x404.jpg

You can be critical of American Foreign policy but it doesn't mean you cheer for the likes of Putin and Assad, basically selling your soul like a cheap hooker to the most desperate and brutal regimes around.

These are a prime example.
    http://irishantiwar.org

We see it here in this thread. Sam Harris, whom I do not agree with everything he says but because he is Pro-Isreal then his views and opinions are not warranted and he is equated to a Glen Beck. Says more about the people making the accusation more than anything. If Harris was anti-Israel his $hit would smell of roses and the same points/opinons would be quoted everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Typical, come on guys use some logic & nuance for a change :(

not at all. it's not because it's Maher, I agree he makes a lot of good points and he is usually spot on with most of what he says, with only one or two exceptions.
    Dades wrote: »
    How many gays has Billy Ray Cyrus actually murdered?
    hang on, wait. are you saying that it's NOT okay to tar everyone in an entire religion with the same brush just because of what extremists within that religion believe? i thought that's what we were doing now? :eek:

My own GP and the surgeon that performed major surgery on my spine earlier this year to keep me out of a wheelchair for the rest of my life are both muslim and both are aware that I'm an atheist, yet despite the fact that both have had ample opportunities to murder me and get away clean, neither of them have and indeed both of them are amongst the nicest people I have ever met and are pretty much friends of the family at this point due to the number of times I have visited them in the last year and I know my GP's family quite well at this point from meeting them at various points socially outside of the surgery. I've even seen several gays in both their waiting rooms during my many visits there in the last year or so and I don't for a minute believe that any of them were treated any differently than I was.

or maybe you think they're just waiting for the right moment to be able to behead me on TV? :rolleyes:

my point being, YES areas of Islam have a lot of work to do to join the rest of us in the 21st century, but much as not all christian denominations believe the same as southern baptists, not all muslims believe all non-muslims, gays, sluts and apostates deserve to be beheaded or stoned to death and many of them believe similar things and live their lives just as most of the rest of us do.
    The issue is the quran. As long as muslims consider it a perfectly revealed scripture it will rot any interpretation. Even peaceful interpretations are contaminated as they can easily be shown as misleading by a more aggressive muslim cleric. Many of the 'nicer' statements are abrogated by later revelations anyway that are more violent or intolerant.
    The issue is that most people have no clue about Islam or how the quran works, or the way it is read, the history behind it, the importance placed on it
    yep, pretty much identical to how a lot of christians feel about the bible. :rolleyes:

everything is open to interpretation (especially very old religious texts), that is why (much like christianity) there are many branches of Islam with different people believing different things.

for every nasty verse in the quran there is an equally nasty verse in the bible, just like there are nice, peaceful verses in both. it's not the book, it's the people who read it. if you are a nasty person, you will use the nastiness in it to justify your views and actions, exactly the same as any other religion.

this is exactly how 'loving' christians (amongst many other heinous crimes) can cherry pick parts of their good book to starve, freeze and beat their kids to death to 'discipline' them the way the bible tells them to.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/11/05/christian-parents-receive-massive-sentence-for-the-starving-and-freezing-death-of-their-adopted-daughter/

http://sparethekids.com/2011/08/christian-couple-beat-child-to-death-with-%E2%80%9Cbiblical-rod%E2%80%9D/

you can even buy a nice (shockingly popular) companion book to go with your bible explaining the best way to beat your child just like jesus would want you to. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/authoritarian-parenting.

there is good people doing good things and bad people doing bad things in (and outside of) every religion.
    You answered a different question to the one put.

So...

Its a simple question and no amount of red hearings will undo your imminent u-turn or non answer.

I said "I think" and I'm pretty sure, (unless you have recently been promoted?) you aren't the thought police and i'm free to have my own opinion on this or any other subject we might be discussing? you frequently express your own opinions without feeling the need to back up your claims with any empirical evidence, yet anyone who might hold a different opinion to yourself gets hounded to back up their own opinions with peer reviewed studies until they give up.

meanwhile, all i see is YOU conveniently sidestepping the simple fact that the far right wing leaders of the largest protestant denomination in the US (with a right wing anti-gay 2016 presidential candidate amongst their ranks) has not only funded and actively encouraged the "kill the gays" laws in Uganda etc. but has also publicly stated that in the US they would happily criminalise homosexuality and punish people just for being gay if they could, and in two years time, it's distinctly possible they could get that chance.

you've dismissed my opinions on the christian right in the US as only applying to tiny right wing minority groups like the WBC, but when I have shown YOUR opinion to be false, you have sidestepped that and have instead gone back to my first statement which is what has led to my following statements.
    Is there something I'm missing here? As a progressive liberal, I'm open to being enlightened and there's no better forum for clear intelligent answers. ;)
    much like everyone else, we can disagree on certain issues, what those issues are and how best to deal with them.

you can't 'kill' an ideology like radical islam and attempting to do so only makes them stronger, something i feel a lot more people should have learned after the bush/cheney "war on terror" that ISIS was essentially born out of.

the only way to kill radical islamic ideas is to work with the moderate muslim community to shift opinions within the muslim community to the left and further marginalise the more radical ideas and encourage the same enlightenment that (most of) christianity has had the time to experience in the west.

nothing being perpetrated by radical islamists is new, and you don't have to look too far back in history to see christians doing exactly the same things (and much worse) as ISIS are doing now.
    Put simply people prefer to be anti-American/anti-Israel/anti-Western than being an actual liberal, hence many so called liberals are not that at all, they are just anti-american and anti-western and use the veil of liberalism as a cloak. Many of the older ones would have been supporters of the Soviet Union, says it all really. In fact many would prefer that American and Western interests be harmed hence why the soft spot for the likes of Iran when they have a tussle with the great Satan, USA.
    would you care to back up your statement with empirical evidence at all? number crunching so to speak. What is the general mindset of liberals for example or how many liberals aren't actually liberal but are only pretending? :rolleyes:

yep, pretty much identical to how a lot of christians feel about the bible.

everything is open to interpretation (especially very old religious texts), that is why (much like christianity) there are many branches of Islam with different people believing different things.

for every nasty verse in the quran there is an equally nasty verse in the bible, just like there are nice, peaceful verses in both. it's not the book, it's the people who read it. if you are a nasty person, you will use the nastiness in it to justify your views and actions, exactly the same as any other religion.
    I am going to politely say you have no clue what you are talking about.
    The koran is NOT like the bible in many ways. I am an atheist, I am not being supportive of the bible or the hebrew bible or any of that. They also have their own issues.
    The issue with the koran is how it was revealed (allegedly as far as the MAINSTREAM muslims believe), how it was compiled (ALSO according to MAINSTREAM muslims) and in what order it was selected, after Muhammed had died.
    You can research this yourself, it has a very complex history and is neither linear in story or sorted by time of revelation. To understand the quran you must also take note of Islamic scholars on the history of the time, and how the revelations came and their applications by Muhammed and those that followed him.
    Your average bible reader has a far easier time of it. Also it is WIDELY accepted that the Old testament is largely for historical reference by mainstream christians of most denonimations, even literalists understand that the moral codes of many of those awful passages are not morally mandated to christians. Thats a whole different topic.
    The quran cannot be edited and cannot be open to the same kind of interpretation that the majority of christians use to read the bible and certainly by how jews interpret the tanakh.
    Since there is a historical narrative behind the quran that deals with Muhammed's rise to power from Mecca to Medina. Sura 9, the verses about war are later verses to the more peaceful ones (and even those are questionable if you understand them in actual context).
    All later verses replace earlier verses in revelation because Muhammed faced new challenges and opportunities as he got more powerful and thus discarded the more tolerant verses that suited him when he was weaker. This replacement is MAINSTREAM doctrine and vital to understand the quran. When any doctrinal conflict occurs about the quran, the latter revelations ALWAYS replace the earlier ones otherwise contradictions would exist and in the 'perfect' revealed work that is seen as impossible.

There are many versions of Islam, but they all follow the quran as the core doctrine. There are thousands of ahadiths and of course there are also the Sunna for the largest faction.
    Many ahadiths cause disagreement between factions and some are seen as strong (with some credibility as being reliable) and some are weak (seen as dubiously sourced).
    THOSE are open to interpretation and I never would say otherwise, but apart from one small Islamic faction, ALL muslims revere the quran as DIRECTLY written by god and revealed to Muhammed in stages (conveniently).

Still waiting for an answer to my question I put to you regarding the map I posted.... its OK, I know you don't want to answer.

They're all socially conservative. Well done you.

• Advertisement

Chris Andrews of Sinn Fein

Yep.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92551494&postcount=36

I am going to politely say you have no clue what you are talking about.
    The koran is NOT like the bible in many ways. I am an atheist, I am not being supportive of the bible or the hebrew bible or any of that. They also have their own issues.
    sorry, but hows that any different than millions of christians believing the bible to be 100% factual, literal, infallible word of god? :confused:

the bible and the quran may be different in many ways, but they are both also very similar in many ways and are equally soaked in blood, probably even more so the bible if we're counting.

by virtue of the fact that none of the 50,000+ muslims in ireland have ever gone on a murderous rampage here and cut off anyones heads for not being muslim, I think we can pretty conclusively state that not all muslims are the same and that the quran IS open to interpretation, despite your assertion that i don't know what i'm talking about.

unless you think they're just waiting for the 'go' signal from ISIS of when they can all attack us at the same time?

sorry, but hows that any different than millions of christians believing the bible to be 100% factual, literal, infallible word of god? :confused:

the bible and the quran may be different in many ways, but they are both also very similar in many ways and are equally soaked in blood, probably even more so the bible if we're counting.

by virtue of the fact that none of the 50,000+ muslims in ireland have ever gone on a murderous rampage here and cut off anyones heads for not being muslim, I think we can pretty conclusively state that not all muslims are the same and that the quran IS open to interpretation, despite your assertion that i don't know what i'm talking about.

unless you think they're just waiting for the 'go' signal from ISIS of when they can all attack us at the same time?

hmmm, first off I made no comment about muslims acting violently or not. I am purely discussing the quran. I don't believe muslims are generally violent. Most christians are generally pretty calm too, even though the christian bible is as immoral beyond belief.
    Attitudes to the removal of fit'na (idol worship or attempts to lead muslims from the path) from the world is very important to the teachings of Muhammed.

The bible is indeed 'soaked' in blood however the quran is viewed by scholars differently too than the bible.
    The bible was 'revealed' (using the most fundamentalist viewpoint) directly, but to many different authors over thousands of years. There is 66 books in it, not one. The majority of christian theologians are quite liberal in how they view those books compared with the masses.
    The quran however is theologically believed to be ONE perfect book, that refers to ITSELF (something the bible does not as a whole) and mandates that it cannot be changed and that it is one of the greatest sins to even try.
    It is supposedly made by God beforehand, and exists outside of time and space (the golden quran). The holy quran currently is a COPY of it supposedly. This does make a difference, at least it should if you believe in the creator of the universe and don't want to go to hell.
    The morman leader Joe Smith actually used some of the features of the Islamic faith for his cult, including golden plates, given by an angel and taken back, revealed over time to suite his needs and with rules that changed older ones when suited. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on your viewpoint) allows for continuous revelation (hence the revision on blacks being treated badly by Mormons and polygamy) while the quran states that it is FINISHED and perfect and that there will be no more prophets until the end of the world.
    These all matter when trying to make a dent in an outdated religion. I hope I made that point.

There are plenty of nicer passages that get interpreted by certain muslims, ESPECIALLY those that live in the West. The majority of muslims are NOT in the West, and a sizable majority of Muslims cannot read the quran for themselves (poor education) and rely on their imans to educate them, resulting in a very wide mix of viewpoints. However to counter those viewpoints the quran still remains an issue.

Here is an example: No complusion in religion. This is a VERY common statement by those making out that Islam is peaceful and compatible with the Western cultures.
    This is not accurate and the history of Islam repeatedly shows that in practice.
    The process of levying a tax on people of the book (jews and christians) to allow them to exist in an Islamic state under their 'protection' is one form of complusion.
    Polytheists and atheists don't even get that option historically. Convert or leave (or die) is repeatedly the response.
    Muhammed in Surah 9 promotes violence to make people join Islam. Read it yourself. This is the most perfect example that any muslim could wish for. Muhammed is loved beyond any other person in Islamic history.
    Once you join you CANNOT leave Islam without complusion being put on you to return.
    This deals with apostates. The quran is filled with threats of hellfire and allah constantly mocks and ridicules non believers in it at every opportunity in every way.
    The concept of Dhimmi is that non muslims that refuse to convert but pay their protection tax are to be humbled. They are 2nd or 3rd class citizens. they are NEVER to be seen as equal or above a muslim.
    I have read on Muslim forms that even bad muslims (those that don't follow Islam properly) are better than non believers who have no hope at all.

Once again I am not saying that your average western muslim cannot wait to kill you. No and if you read the quran you might understand why killing is only allowed in certain circumstances and in certain areas (Sharia implementation for example). Muslims are PEOPLE first and their own innate sense of morality means they shy away from the worst parts of the quran whenever they can. The problem is that the quran will ALWAYS have those parts and give authority for their reinactement if needed.

.....no muslim majority state, or any state for that matter, charges a "dhimmi tax". Not a one.

.....no muslim majority state, or any state for that matter, charges a "dhimmi tax". Not a one.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry.
    Wrong, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.
    All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a version thereof.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry..

It's ok. I went to the "21st century" and it says
    "The jizya poll tax is no longer imposed in the Islamic world" which is essentially correct.
    Wrong, Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.
    All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a version thereof.

They are not a state, they are a "terrorist" or non state grouping. If some bunch of yahoos up around the border here set up checkpoints and collected cash off people from the six counties (or the reverse) it does not constitute an official practice.

I never denied its historical application.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry.
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014. The fact that there are very few truly Islamic states and as many muslims will tell you if you ask for an example of a TRUE Islamic state, none, not even Saudi Arabia, enact the full sharia. Not all muslims want full sharia, but that is in the quran and those that do can quote verbatim to prove their point.

Also my point is more than what is currently happening in regard to the complusion issue. My point was that the quran can be used at ANY time to justify reinstatement of the statements in it. The jizya is not central to islam, its a tactic that can be used for various economic or political ends. If it is LESS profitable to use jizya then why would they do so? The reason they don't is it makes them look oppressive yet I have consistantly read posts and articles on muslim sites taking about using it and that there is nothing wrong with it since Muslims have their own obligatory taxes to pay as well.
    This is a very complex and convoluted topic and I am sorry if I have not been flawless in my delivery but I think I have been fairly factual in my concerns about the quran.
    Some things are optional in the quran, some are not. Some apply to certain circumstances and will become active once those circumstances come about. The quran has a LOT of info in it after all, its not like the crappy 10 commandments that christians go on about.

Google Jizya and read the long wiki article. Scroll to the very bottom to see modern day examples. As a newbie I cannot post links. Sorry..

You already posted this. There are no examples in the modern day.
    Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant have reportedly done it in 2014..

For the second time, IS are not a state.

All throughout the history of Islam it has been applied whereever possible, or a
    version thereof.

We aren't discussing history, and you were not mentioning it in an historical context.
    The reason they don't is it makes them look oppressive yet I have consistantly read posts and articles on muslim sites taking about using it and that there is nothing wrong with it since Muslims have their own obligatory taxes to pay as well..

Opinions on internet fora are hardly a reliable source of information.

Ok Nodin, I take your point, although some groups do still try and succeed at times to enact it. I was not stating that today it was being used across all muslim states, I was using it as a counter to the idea that there is no complusion to accept Islam that many preach as if it was never the case.

• Advertisement

MY apologies, I went to expand on my earlier point and correct some issues since I forgot I cannot post links but my chrome browser is acting up and I ended duplicating the posts before I saw any replies. It was not intentional.

Advertisement