Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭Doge

My Everdrive MD seemed to magically come back to life today,
    so I've been absolutely balls deep in Road Rash 3!

And it's so addictive and fun, that I can totally forgive it for its low frame rate.

Man, this game is deep and detailed for a racing game, just look at the length of this strategy guide for it:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/586427-road-rash-iii/faqs/55117

I remember when I first played it when I was a kid, I thought the road signs and buildings looked very realistic for the time, due to the digitized graphics.

On the downside, its probably the uglier looking of the series though.

I haven't actually played the original 2 yet.

Does anyone know how it compares to the first 2?

Unlike Classic Game Room I really like the gritty soundtrack to it, especially the track for Italy.

I think it emulates a rock/metal style pretty well for an FM chiptune.

Has anyone ever cleared the Expert Course (Europe) in Super Hang On for the MD?

I just came within seconds of beating it there! Damn it!

I think today might have been my first time beating the senior course (America) too.

map.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭eddhorse

waveform wrote: »
    Unlike Classic Game Room I really like the gritty soundtrack to it, especially the track for Italy.

I think it emulates a rock/metal style pretty well for an FM chiptune.

Good tune alright. Doesn't really look like Italy. Does in the background but the foreground looks like the Sahara.

Also playing this today for an hour :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Rocket knight adventures, forgot how detailed the world was. Really great game. Finished it on easy with my son but forgot you must finish it on normal to get the real ending.

rocket-knight-adventures-01.jgp

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a quick blast of Harmful Park today, while setting up the modded PS on the TV downstairs.
    The image quality is awful, thanks to cables and whatnot, but that game is amazing, utterly incredible, the art and design is unparalleled.
    Definitely something I'm going to buy in 2014, the version I was playing was.... borrowed.... from the internet or something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Casey120

Harmful Park is great but you need to play it on hard mode though as otherwise you will blast right trough it .

I think it has become pretty pricey in the last couple of years .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Casey120 wrote: »
    Harmful Park is great but you need to play it on hard mode though as otherwise you will blast right trough it .

I think it has become pretty pricey in the last couple of years .
    I've seen a copy for 105 euro shipped, which seems ok for a game like that, its the price of two current gen games and something that'll be cool a lot longer than the latest Fifa as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,253 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just downloading those 4 Sega 3D classics from the eShop after playing the Sonic one at the beers last night. Some of the best emulation I've ever seen, it's amazing the level of detail that has been put in.

Sonic has three different 3D options. Pop out, fall in, classic 'CRT mode' (this blew me away!) They've gone so far as to emulate the sound differences between the Megadrive model 1 and 2.

Space Harrier even has a 'moving cabinet' option where the screen tilts left and right as if the cab was moving.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just downloading those 4 Sega 3D classics from the eShop after playing the Sonic one at the beers last night. Some of the best emulation I've ever seen, it's amazing the level of detail that has been put in.

Sonic has three different 3D options. Pop out, fall in, classic 'CRT mode' (this blew me away!) They've gone so far as to emulate the sound differences between the Megadrive model 1 and 2.

Space Harrier even has a 'moving cabinet' option where the screen tilts left and right as if the cab was moving.

HIT THE ****ING NITRO ALREADY!!!!!

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »

And with that recommendation I am buying them, I was waiting to see if it was worth while as I must have almost every iteration of Sonic 1 on every system.

Master of the Universe

Came across another interesting addition in Space Harrier this evening - arcade cabinet sound effects. It's the noise of the cabinet hydraulics moving the cockpit side to side. Kinda cool when you have screen tilt turned on :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just finished Tearaway on the Vita tonight, what an incredible game! The visuals are brilliant with everything in the world made from paper, excellent animations too with the wind, rain and sea etc. Sublime soundtrack. The touchscreen and touchpad implementations were very clever, very refreshing to play, like Mario 64 all those years ago although a much shorter game (which is good).

Anyway, anyone with a Vita that hasn't played it yet should definitely look into picking it up.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had a quick blast of Harmful Park today, while setting up the modded PS on the TV downstairs.
    The image quality is awful, thanks to cables and whatnot, but that game is amazing, utterly incredible, the art and design is unparalleled.
    Definitely something I'm going to buy in 2014, the version I was playing was.... borrowed.... from the internet or something.....

Just dug out the playstation for some r-type delta the weekend, some incredible shmups on that system, darius/raiden/r-type/einhander/raystorm-crisis/gaia seed/donpachi's and on and on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Don't have a Wii-U.
    Want Mario 3D World.
    Decided to play Mario Galaxy 2 again.
    No longer need Mario 3D World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

You liking the Vita then Andrew yeah?

Myrddin wrote: »
    You liking the Vita then Andrew yeah?

Yeah delighted with it, screen is class. Timing was great as I had just gotten upgraded to eFibre so slightly better speeds to download from PSN. Nabbed myself Uncharted, Guacamelee and Sonic Racing Transformed off PS+ too, bloody great service that is! Picked up Rayman Legends in the sale and also have Sine Mora, Spelunky, Everybody's Golf and GaiaSeed waiting in line to be played. Hoping Dragon's Crown appears in the sale too. Bought Sheinryu for a few quid but every few seconds it stutters which makes it unplayable for me.

Just waiting on a case, hand grips and Virtua Tennis to arrive in the post now and I'll be sorted for the Christmas break.

My only gripe with it is not being able to have multiple accounts on it without having to mess about with a second memory card. As in I have the second card but the process of setting up the second account looks like a pain. Wanted to see what was on the Japanese PSN other than Darius. Not too big a deal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

My brother has a Vita too. Saw Tearaway in the pile but haven't seen it running yet.

My brother has a Vita too. Saw Tearaway in the pile but haven't seen it running yet.

Don't think I'd ever say one game is worth buying a console for, but it's a must have if you already own the machine imo. I'm really not into gaming as much these days but I couldn't stop playing it, really is great.

Don't think this is a spoiler but using tags anyway,
    you can take pictures of things in the game which get uploaded to a website, you can then print them off and make papercraft from them
    . Very cool if you're bothered. :)

The ending is also very clever.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    PS+ too, bloody great service that is!

It really is incredible value for money. Make sure to 'buy' the PS3 & PS4 games every month too, so they're tied to your account & free for subsequent use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Speaking of PS+, Resogun is an absolutely superb shmup: intense, inventive and extremely pretty (in which the processing power seems solely dedicated to have as many individual bullets and debris as possible). What a delight that the game to ring in the next gen is from one of the oldest of genres :)

Master of the Universe

I'm being tempted to purchase a PS4 because of a shmup?

What is this madness? Did I just step into the Twilight Zone?

Well, I bought a similarly priced Nuon just for Tempest 3000, I say go for it!

It really is incredible value for money. Make sure to 'buy' the PS3 & PS4 games every month too, so they're tied to your account & free for subsequent use

Do you know if you have to be signed into your PS3/4 to 'buy' (and not download) them or can it be done from the website maybe? The PS3 is boxed away and I don't have a PS4 yet but curious if I can still avail of them for future use. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Do you know if you have to be signed into your PS3/4 to 'buy' (and not download) them or can it be done from the website maybe? The PS3 is boxed away and I don't have a PS4 yet but curious if I can still avail of them for future use. :)

You can use the web store I believe to 'reserve' your freebies!

I think the store is down at the mo on the consoles, but here's the bookmark - https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/home/games

Sign into your account there & purchase all the PS3, PS4, & Vita games listed under PS+ ---> Instand Game Collection

This then ties them to your account & they're yours as long as you're a PS+ member. You don't even have to have a PS4 to 'buy' the games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For all the things Shin Megami Tensei IV gets right and how brilliant the new fusion system is there's one thing they unfortunately did very poorly. The overworld map is really badly thought out and there's plenty of times I've had to look up a walkthrough to find out where I had to go. If the overworld music wasn't so good I'd be more annoyed. Other than that annoying niggle it's the best RPG I've played in a very long time.

Looks like Ecco the Dolphin is the next game to get the 3d treatment on the 3ds. They added an invincibility mode to make it easier.
    http://blogs.sega.com/2013/12/10/sega-3d-classics-%E2%80%93-3d-ecco-the-dolphin-interview-with-developer-m2/?0=1

Ecco was a great scifi adventure game with a good story and a great soundtrack, funny enough there are websites dedicated to kids that were tramatised by how scary the game was. Especially been eaten by the Vortex Queen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Got a few hours of Dark Souls in the morning. I gave Smough and Ornstein and licking and then decided to wipe out the rest of Anor Londo while I was at it

Where to now though? Head to the archives?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,831 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Got a few hours of Dark Souls in the morning. I gave Smough and Ornstein and licking and then decided to wipe out the rest of Anor Londo while I was at it

Where to now though? Head to the archives?

You should have gotten the Lord Vessel from Tits McGee. You have two choices now. You can place the lord vessel back at fire link shrine, talk to the big serpent guy or else before you do that go to the New Londo ruins and take out the 4 kings (really tough battle and area) before setting the lord vessel to gain access to another covenant. For a first time player I'd set the lord vessel since it allows you to warp between areas and opens up a few more bosses. If you go to the Archives there's a golem there you can kill which will allow you access to the DLC area. My advice is not to kill Sif before you go to the DLC area. There's an extra cutscene before the fight if you do that which will bring tears to your eyes *sniff* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Well I already got the lordvessel and placed it on the alter, I'm playing offline so I'm not really worried about covenants.

I already Killed Sif, broke my heart and I've seen the extra cutscene....I'm such a bastard!

Well I already got the lordvessel and placed it on the alter, I'm playing offline so I'm not really worried about covenants.

I already Killed Sif, broke my heart and I've seen the extra cutscene....I'm such a bastard!

The extra cutscene makes more sense once you've played the DLC.
    There's a secret area where you can save Sif.

It's worth watching the VaatiVidya video about Artorias on youtube once you finish the DLC, it will show you how much of a horrible person you really are :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Finally got round to finishing up "The Witcher", best $4.99 I ever spent. Now to get stuck into the sequel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Played a bit of The Witcher 2 and it didn't float my boat really. Nice voice acting but the game itself wasn't my thing.

Was playing a lot of Dark Souls before I went off the college in September. Looking forward to getting stuck into the end of it when I get home for Christmas. I've got the Lordvessel placed and I've cleared out a lot of areas I just need to pimp my weapons out with titanite slabs and then I'll go after the last few bosses.

If you've got a phone check out the new port of Sonic 2. It's class. Runs at 60fps. Enhances the graphics really tastefully instead of the usual badly redrawn in HD or smeared in smoothing effect garbage. They've reinstated Hidden Palace Zone (which I think is in that bottomless pit on Mystic Cave that everybody hates.. I'm only on that zone now). Controls as good as you could expect on a touchscreen. There's Time Trial and Online 2 player or something as well I haven't checked that yet. There's a new ending when you get all the Chaos Emeralds too.

• Advertisement

If you've got a phone check out the new port of Sonic 2. It's class. Runs at 60fps. Enhances the graphics really tastefully instead of the usual badly redrawn in HD or smeared in smoothing effect garbage. They've reinstated Hidden Palace Zone (which I think is in that bottomless pit on Mystic Cave that everybody hates.. I'm only on that zone now). Controls as good as you could expect on a touchscreen. There's Time Trial and Online 2 player or something as well I haven't checked that yet. There's a new ending when you get all the Chaos Emeralds too.

I'll await the 3DS version with crossed fingers and held breath!
    Ok, maybe not held breath, but it'd be nice, plus the visuals are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm really impressed they finally finished Hidden Palace Zone! I suppose we'll never see the other beta levels like Wood Zone finished but this was a really good way to give fans a reason to buy yet another port of the game. The boss was pretty creative too.

Screw it, gonna buy LttP for the Wii U. I'll finish it by Xmas, so it'll be a nice refresher before starting LbW

Master of the Universe

Screw it, gonna buy LttP for the Wii U. I'll finish it by Xmas, so it'll be a nice refresher before starting LbW

Did you ever play that online game Graal? It's completely evolved into something else now, but I used to play it 10+ years ago and it was basically like an online version of ALTTP.

There were some really interesting mods & quests people made for it which were like homebrew Zelda games.

Edit - eek, just looked it up and it seems I played it more like 15 years ago. :eek:

I must say, after the rubbish of MGS4 it's great to play Revengeance. It's a whole heap of fun and I even find myself calling the codec to get a laugh. Some of the conversations there can be quite amusing. I like how it doesn't take itself seriously.

• Advertisement

I really want a PS3 so I can play all these Platinum Games games... I've a PS2 should probably get Godhand.

They run better on 360 and Bayonetta is a total disaster on PS3.

I don't have one of those either. My commitment to retrogaming is absolute. Think I'll go with an emulator and Godhand for the moment. Dark Souls has given me a taste for punishing but technical fighting mechanics and I fancy some more of the same at the moment. I've never even played any of the Devil May Cry games it's really a huge glaring hole in my videogame knowledge.

Mutant Mudds Deluxe (12-bit)
    http://youtu.be/IO5GenIZG58

Out now for PS3 and Vita, cross buy possibly.

Ed

I was playing in the Garden level of Super Mario Galaxy last night, I'm determined to finish the game before Santy brings me 3D World.
    My glob but the game is amazing.
    More imagination in the game than all the Jak&Daxter and Ratchet&Clank games combined.

I was playing in the Garden level of Super Mario Galaxy last night, I'm determined to finish the game before Santy brings me 3D World.
    My glob but the game is amazing.
    More imagination in the game than all the Jak&Daxter and Ratchet&Clank games combined.

The second one is even better, definintely two of the best games in recent years.

I don't have time to finish that as well!
    My old save game died with my original Wii.
    So I have to start again, no bad thing given how superb it is.
    Might do the same with Sunshine as well, such a gorgeous game, love the water effects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

I don't have time to finish that as well!
    My old save game died with my original Wii.
    So I have to start again, no bad thing given how superb it is.
    Might do the same with Sunshine as well, such a gorgeous game, love the water effects.

We are doing the exact same thing in our house going through the first Galaxy before 3d world arrives ;)

The last time we played it was 2008 on an old 21" TV. Playing through it now for the first time on a big screen with the component cables - it looks amazing. Frankly the wii has a seriously overlooked game library.

I'm always struck by how good many Wii games still look, especially when played on the TV via HDMI.
    But then, many GC games also have that certain something too, like the aforementioned Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime series.

Got the first crystal there in Dark World {LttP}. It's been years since I last played through this game, & I hadn't forgotten how good it was, but it really is a masterpiece. Literally everything about the game is perfect, I can't find a single flaw

• Advertisement
Advertisement