Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Cycle - Laochra na Laoise II - Sunday September 14th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Great stuff lads,

I love those 531 Peugeots but particularly the 753 ones ridden by the ANC Halfords team in '87.

14849873497_5603b85bc9_z.jpg

I remember reading they were quite heavy though the one pictured is apparently under 10kg. I do have a near complete 1982 Centenary Peugeot with aero tubing and all that if anyone is interested?

That photo also offers a gratuitous moment to return to our vintage expo for the Giro d'Italia - the blog attached gave a great write-up.

http://bestandbrightestdublin.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/giro-ditalia-beautiful-bikes/

Best wishes, Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Nice write up there Brendan and some real nice eye candy ...!

I dont know what I have let myself in for now... I have a deeply unhealthy interest in Vintage and Classic bikes and I'm only on the road a few weeks...! You can spot them a mile off. A modern to me now is just a black bike with stickers on the wheels. They all look the same.

Met a fella last night on the road with a Harry Quinn 531 touring bike as far as I could make out. I'm guessing at 80's as the 531 decal was the same typeface as my own but in green... She had large flange hubs with Mavic rims, Silver with black decals. He had just bought her a few weeks ago and like me hes just getting started. No camera or phone with me of course ... Typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

Course preview, part 2

Once we leave Mountrath, there are two options. The 70km heads back for Portlaoise, but the 135km turns west and up into the Slieve Blooms. The first big climb of the day is the Wolftrap. This is 5km at an average of 5.5%, but that includes a few downhill sections! If it's a clear day, there are great views out over the midlands from the top, and then it's a newly resurfaced sinewy descent down into Kinnitty.

From there we turn back east and skirt around the Slieve Blooms before turning right at Clonaslee to go over the Cut. This is more straightforward than the Wolftrap - 8km at an almost uniform 4%. Once you're over the top of this, it's more or less downhill all the way home, with a few short drags just to provide a final test for your legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deadon

Hi Brendan ,a friend told me about this cycle,I'm renewing a couple of old 1970 bikes at moment , and would love to have them ready in time for this spin , is it just a matter of turning up on morning of the spin or do we need to register beforehand ...haven't peddled an old steel in 30 years ,but would love to give it a bash ...regards Dec

Hi Dec,

Fair play to your friend and anyone else letting others know about the event. It's an informal spin so no registration or money required. Just a coming together of folk with an interest in old racing bikes. Dáithí has laid out the route and the spirit of it is a club spin with no one left behind - but we do expect people to have some miles under their belts.

You'll have to put up some pics of your bikes of course!

Best wishes, Brendan

• Advertisement

If I don't get the finger out I'll be arriving down with a box of parts and a frame.

Well tax man, is it going to be a box of parts or are you making progress?

Brendan

Excellent Brendan ,I'll try get photos up during week but as a new member to boards there maybe a cooling off period befor I can upload photos ....as regards the miles under the belt we do a spin of 60k plus most weekends , but on flashy look like the pros bikes ,ha ha at nearly 50 yrs old ...so this will be 1st time doing a cycle on a real bike ...the bikes I've renovated ar Carlton's and a replica Harry hall from late 70s ...looking forward and hopefully we can make it down ...cheers dec

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Taxman that's a nice looking Shimano 105 Golden Arrow groupset you have there. I notice in your photo you don't have the shift levers. I have a pair of them. If you need them let me know.

Brendan, I got your message, thanks! I'm just waiting for the white leather handlebar tape to arrive next week to complete the '58 Lenton Grand Prix. I'll email you the photo when it's taped up. It will be all original apart from the tape. It's going out for a test ride tomorrow so hopefully it will ride as good as it looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well tax man, is it going to be a box of parts or are you making progress?

Brendan

Still in a box I'm afraid.:o
    Hope to have a few days off work beforehand to stick it all together. August has been a bad month for me and cycling,sort of fell out of love with each other.:confused:
    sarge10 wrote: »
    Taxman that's a nice looking Shimano 105 Golden Arrow groupset you have there. I notice in your photo you don't have the shift levers. I have a pair of them. If you need them let me know.

Only the crankset is 105,never used btw. The rest is Shimano 600 arabesque and there are some levers hidden in bubble wrap in the picture. Thanks for the offer though.;)

[QUOTE August has been a bad month for me and cycling,sort of fell out of love with each other.[/QUOTE]

Aaagh Tax Man, that's bad. Was it the cycling, was it the bikes, or was it the world around you?

I took a few days out myself recently and wandered off to the Sheep's Head. So I loaded up my old Mercian with panniers to make myself feel like a touring cyclist. It's the one my club mates call 'the garden gate', though they don't complain much when they're riding behind me in the rain. First I thought 'oh God, the peninsula is so short I'll have it ridden before lunch'. Then I thought 'why not take it slow?'.

So taking in as many diversions as I could I rode around the north cycle way and didn't get to my digs till 7pm. I did about 30 miles, and even walked out to the lighthouse and beyond. Strava must have been baffled.

The next morning I left the panniers behind and rode over the highest road - the Goat's path, on the way to which I took the photo below. Once done, I loaded up again and took the most scenic route back to Bantry and to the car. The battery was flat.

Back to falling out of love. I was describing the trip to a friend recently and talked about the long winding paths, the secret glen, the light house and the solitude. Then I was about to wax lyrical about some other highlight and had to stop myself from saying 'we had a great trip'. My Mercian and me.

15110931075_64ab7a629b_z.jpg

• Advertisement

Aaagh Tax Man, that's bad. Was it the cycling, was it the bikes, or was it the world around you?
    Just did too much over the summer with the good weather. Couldn't get near the bike at the start of August due to work and then the legs just turned to ****e. Getting back into it slowly.

Doc07 wrote: »
    If I can source a lend of a vintage/old bike I would go work depending. I can take 2 bikes on my car rack so if I'm going can give you a lift if you're near southside/south inner city. I'll post on this thread if I'm going in the next week or so.

Hi Doc 07,

One for you perhaps, a Peugeot PH12 Centennial edition:

14943000089_6f50ecc16f.jpg

More info on these here: http://simplicityvintagecycles.com/2012/05/16/1982-peugeot-centennial-edition-ph12-rejuvenation/

I think mine even has the original tyres!

Best wishes,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

Brendan, it would be an honour. I'm in the advanced stages of planning permission. I hope to be able to confirm this weekend.
    Sorry for silly question but would I be able to put my own pedals and bottle cages on the bike?

Hi Doc 07,

One for you perhaps, a Peugeot PH12 Centennial edition:

Now that is nice... ! Just class....!

A fella Ive run into has a 1983 Peugeot PX-10 DU .. He showed a brave bit of enthusiasm for this cycle... I'll keep the pressure on and see if he will bite...!

Yarisbob wrote: »
    A fella Ive run into has a 1983 Peugeot PX-10 DU .. He showed a brave bit of enthusiasm for this cycle... I'll keep the pressure on and see if he will bite...!

Excellent - the more the merrier!

Doc07 wrote: »
    Brendan, it would be an honour. I'm in the advanced stages of planning permission. I hope to be able to confirm this weekend.
    Sorry for silly question but would I be able to put my own pedals and bottle cages on the bike?

Heh Doc

If the planning doesn't work out there's always bord pleanala! No problem about pedals and bottle - have to get some tyres too - I don't think the originals will hold out.

Great pic of Sarge's Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix coming up soon,

Brendan

I don't like to tempt fate, but the forecast for the whole week and the weekend is for the dry weather to continue. It will be a bit strange doing a vintage event in Ireland in the dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Hi Brendan and Daithi,
    How much does it cost to enter this and get the sandwiches etc!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Sandwiches?? I'm expecting wine and cheese!!

imskilguy wrote: »
    Hi Brendan and Daithi,
    How much does it cost to enter this and get the sandwiches etc!
    Thanks

There's no charge to enter. We're treating it as a club ride, so we ask that you bring enough food, water and spares to get you round. We're going to stop after 60km of the ride for a food stop, where there'll be tea, coffee and hot and cold food available. There's a shop attached, so you can buy bottles of water to refill bidons as well.
    Eamonnator wrote: »
    Sandwiches?? I'm expecting wine and cheese!!

The place we're stopping probably sells wine (and definitely cheese). We might have to cycle slowly to get there for licencing hours on a Sunday!

• Advertisement

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

1) I don't have a pre 1987 bike, I have a 1989 Pug with modern components. Will my bike and I be welcome?
    Assuming the answer to Q.1 is positive,
    2) Is there parking available at the Start/Finish?
    3) Realistically, how many cyclists are you expecting?
    4) What average speed do you anticipate?
    5) I am in my mid 60's, weigh about 88Kgs and am quite fit. I did the W200 this year. I was reasonably comfortable on the steepest climbs. Will I be able for all the climbs on this spin?
    6) Can you give me directions, from Dublin direction?

Thanks.
    E.

Hi all,

Fate might give us good weather but it's giving me a kickin! Staving off a chest infection - it might slow me down but it won't stop me.

DBC and I were obviously thinking of crushing some grapes and fermenting some cheese (if that's what you do with it!) but a well placed shop at 60kms has stood in the way!

Eamonn, both you and bike welcome and will be joining another 20 or so I guess. The pace will be 18mph I guess, but no doubt you'll put us to shame. The mid-way food hall is easy to find, can be seen from the M7 when you take the exit at Junction 17 heading for Port Laoise and it has plenty of parking.

Some have mooted a vintage parts jumble. Could we try it in a small informal way, perhaps people might suggest what they need?

Deadon, eventually one of the pics of your two rebuilds, with another on the way I think?

14996040538_8b90b06a78_o.jpg

Best wishes, Brendan

Sarge 10 also sent me these of his 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix rebuild:

14995941430_26124a2837_z.jpg

14996018528_4629d20510_z.jpg

Thank you. See you on Sunday.
    Looking forward to the spin.
    E.

My box of parts and frame are not getting along too well. Some of the parts are more suited to an older frame, so I'm raiding the parts bin and will try a build with Dura Ace. Hope the mix doesn't offend as it won't be period correct.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Hi Brendan, thanks for posting the photo for me. I hope the chest gets better by Sunday. Weather looks like it's gonna hold fine for a change. I took the Lenton out for a 50K tryout on Saturday so any bolts that were going to work loose would do it before Laochra. Lost a toeclip bolt and one of the cotterpins on the crank was a bit worn so that loosened and had to be replaced with a new one later Everything else worked as it should. It's going to be an effort to haul it over the hills!

If anyone is looking for any parts for 50's - 70's bikes I have a few bits lying around. Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular and I'll bring on the day.

I've done up a map of the route and my and Brendan's contact numbers that you can print off. If you'd like a copy, please PM me your email address, and I'll send it onto you.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    6) Can you give me directions, from Dublin direction?

The start and finish is at the midway services on the M7 (http://www.midwaym7.com/). From Dublin, just get onto the M7, come off at junction 17 and then turn right at the roundabout at the top of the sliproad. The food court is on the left after 200m. There's plenty of parking.

We're meeting for breakfast / coffee at 9am with rollout somewhere between 9:30am and 10am

Tks Brendan for posting the carlton ,hope it lasts the trip ,although my mates peddling that one , I'm on a more modern 80s stead ...some fine looking machines heading down ,looking forward to seeing them in the flesh and great to see the interest building ,don't know about wine and cheese but if weather stays like this I'll be having a wibbely wobbely wonder at the 60 k mark

• Advertisement

This is my plan

Transport to Portlaoise. Taking the train to Portarlington and biking the last 12 miles.. IE want €22.56 for the 12miles ... What a ripoff....

Hotel - Maldron Portlaoise - Come and get me up if I'm not there in the morning !!

The only thing I have which is not era specific is my helmet....

This run will be class and I just cant wait..... !

Advertisement