Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Cycle - Laochra na Laoise II - Sunday September 14th

Options
  • 06-08-2014 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

Hi all,

Dáithí BC and I want to get word out there that we're going to have a second go at Laochra na Laoise - a vintage event for vintage racing bike enthusiasts.

The date is Sunday the 14th of September, time 9am, the meeting venue is the Midway Food Court in Portlaoise. I'll post the two routes later, but
    when your hear about climbs like "the Wolftrap" its got to be interesting!

As with the previous events this is an informal spin for cyclists with - or with an interest in - old racing bikes, woolly jerseys, rat-traps, down-tube levers and that sort of thing. You don't have to have an old bike (pre-87 steel, Alan or Vitus) to participate, but an effort is always appreciated. A great training run for anyone l'Eroica bound.

As a little teaser here's a pic of something I've been working on recently. No clues, name the builder:

14816904896_053f78939b_z.jpg

Best wishes to all (and goodnight!)

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I can guarantee that the weather will be better than last year!

Like last year, we're proposing two routes: the main route is 135km, but there is also a 70km route that follows the main route for the first 60km. We'll have a coffee and food stop at that point, so you don't have to make a decision on which route you want to do until then.

This is the 135km route:

Mapmyride: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/464573224
    Strava: http://www.strava.com/activities/167921700

I'll put up some details on the climbs later on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Great to see this on again... however this year Bray Wheelers will be holding the Joe Loughman Randonnee on the same day so I won't be able to make it :(

imskilguy wrote: »
    Great to see this on again... however this year Bray Wheelers will be holding the Joe Loughman Randonnee on the same day so I won't be able to make it :(

That's a pity. Unfortunately, whenever we put it on, it's going to clash with something. Hope to see you down for LnL III in 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

imskilguy wrote: »

Sorry to hear that - kind regards to the Bray folk and best of luck for the Randonee,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 31 imskilguy

Sorry to hear that - kind regards to the Bray folk and best of luck for the Randonee,

Brendan

Thanks Brendan and Daithi, I was disappointed not to do your one last year though (my username was eoghan84 but Ive forgotten the password and closed the email account), so if I get the brakes on my steel bike sorted, and now that I have a woolen SKIL jersey I might be there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Really tempted by the 135k, but scared of the hill-age on my old machine!
    Does there be a good crowd at this? (ie will my lack of climbing abilities see me on my own for the day :eek: ), and is everyone on old bikes? Be great not to be the only one on a heavy old 10 speed for once!

gadetra wrote: »
    Really tempted by the 135k, but scared of the hill-age on my old machine!
    Does there be a good crowd at this? (ie will my lack of climbing abilities see me on my own for the day :eek: ), and is everyone on old bikes? Be great not to be the only one on a heavy old 10 speed for once!

It'll be a small enough crowd, but it's very relaxed and we'll keep the group together as much as possible. It's more like a club spin, so we'll regroup at the bottom of the two big climbs. They look bad on the profile, but they're actually not that bad (he says, having never gone up either of them on a vintage bike).

Hi all,

Such was the interest in my little Laochra na Laoise teaser that I felt it just so urgent to put ye out of your misery! While the truth is I only got this finished today:

14880874085_9b3bdc1457.jpg

It's a 1968 (12 July to be exact) Jack Taylor Ladyback Tandem. A neighbour pin striped the frame for me and placed the decals and transfers. I had to get the "Reynolds" ones specially, a friend from the cycling club lacquered it.

I've tried to bring it back as far as possible to period correct parts. Some I had, others e-bay and other contacts. I was kind of inspired by a beautiful René Herse tandem from the 50's - these were randonneur bikes made for the Parisian market, all with beautiful components. There were special long distance competitions for these bikes, the rules of which stipulated they had mudguards and carriers - the carriers were skimpy ones put on the front - a bit of rule bending - and luckily I have one on the way.

Whether the kids come to Laochra na Laoise is another story, but those kid-back adapters work a treat. Please keep up the word of the event in your clubs,

Cheers, Brendan

@Brendan - That looks fantastic. Hope you can get some pedals for the back before either of the kids joins you on it! Are you going to bring it to L'Eroica this year?

Daithi BC wrote: »
    @Brendan - Hope you can get some pedals for the back before either of the kids joins you on it!?

Aah DBC, can't you see the kiddie pedals half way up the seat tube? My 4 year old did 10 miles on it yesterday. There's absolutely nothing better than when your daughter says to you "Daddy, this is the life"!

There's a great youtube video about the Taylor Brothers - from memory it's called "The Bike Brothers - Jack, Ken and Norman Taylor". About 20 minutes of bike building joy.

Any other pics of bikes and riders participating in Laochra na Laoise?

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

My theme for the day....
    th_6C895F1B-BE6C-4450-9F03-BDAD2960617B.jpg th_A9EB21C9-A2C2-4F9F-B015-3059F66E56C6.jpg

So Taxman,

Are you going to be Vanderarden or Anderson?

Brendan

I'd have to pick Anderson, Vanderarden was Kelly's arch nemesis back in the day so I never liked him.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭The Ging and I

Brendan, love the JT, the most comfortable tandem I ever used. Almost got one built (when you could).
    July 12.... should it not be painted another colour ?
    Not sure if I can make it as your on the day after "dying cow 200"
    Have to see how motivated I am to welly to Laoise on the day.
    Either way, have fun.

This is my steed for the day. Photo taken at the 2013 Anjou Vélo Vintage (the building in the background is, sadly, not my summer cottage).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/126799718@N06/14906685965/in/set-72157646013919868

I'm out of this as I can't get down in time for the roll out.

Here is a pic of my main man, all clean and happy, I will imagine him here!

DSCF0523_zps719c6be9.jpg

I'm out of this as I can't get down in time for the roll out.

Here is a pic of my main man, all clean and happy, I will imagine him here!

Lovely bike! Where are you based? There might be someone who is able to give you a lift over to Portlaoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Doc07

Lovely bike! Where are you based? There might be someone who is able to give you a lift over to Portlaoise.

If I can source a lend of a vintage/old bike I would go work depending. I can take 2 bikes on my car rack so if I'm going can give you a lift if you're near southside/south inner city. I'll post on this thread if I'm going in the next week or so.

South Dublin. I am running out of excuses now! I might be in Longford though, so definitely won't get to it from there. I should know by Saturday evening anyway. The thoughts of said hills also puts the fear of jebus into me!
    Doc7 I would lend you one of mine but they're not rolling bar Henri :(

Gadetra, there's already two coming from Longford so that's no excuse!

Doc 07 - I could possibly help you out with a lend for the day,

Brendan

• Advertisement

Gadetra, there's already two coming from Longford so that's no excuse!

Doc 07 - I could possibly help you out with a lend for the day,

Brendan

Wasn't sure if I was gonna have to head down but the mother is coming out after a minor op on the Saturday so I will be on tea and toast duty on Sunday I'm afraid :( It was supposed to be on Tuesday, she was called in, prepped etc from 8 that morning then…told at half 2 that evening that there were no beds head on home! :eek: madness:

Count me in for the next one though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sarge10

Hey Brendan,

looking forward to this. Although anytime we are both on a vintage spin it's gonna rain. Ha ha! not this time hopefully....we can't be that unlucky. Hope to have the '58 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix finished for the event. It will be it's first outing after two years waiting for the rebuild. If all else fails I've enough steel to fall back on!

Course preview, part 1

I thought I'd put up a few previews of the course to whet your appetites and show that it's not as bad as the profile suggests.

From the start in Portlaoise, we get a nice 10km warmup as we cycle over to Timahoe, the site of one of the best preserved round towers in Ireland. From there we turn onto back roads up to the bottom of the first climb (http://www.strava.com/segments/1803063) at 20km. There's a shock at the bottom of this, with 200m at 12%, but after that it settles into a series of flats and 5-8% ramps.

There's a great view of the countryside from the top, and then we descend back into Timahoe on a nice wide road. A left turn in Timahoe brings us to the legendary Mur de Pike (http://www.strava.com/segments/2478259) - 600m at 11% average but from then until the food stop in Mountrath, there's a 25km flat section to recover and dream about coffee and cake.

Wasn't sure if I was gonna have to head down but the mother is coming out after a minor op on the Saturday so I will be on tea and toast duty on Sunday I'm afraid :(

Sorry to hear that Gadetra - wishing her well post op. Brendan

Course preview, part 1

to whet your appetites ... There's a shock at the bottom of this, with 200m at 12%, but after that it settles into a series of flats and 5-8% ramps.... a
    left turn in Timahoe brings us to the legendary Mur de Pike - 600m at 11% average ...

And to think I've committed myself to riding this:

9709937715_12529796a5.jpg

And to think I've committed myself to riding this

That's a beaut, though I hope the bottle of wine last longer in the holder this time!

What gearing do you have on it?

Hi all,

It's presently 48 x 17 & a 15 freewheel. I read somewhere that I should possibly go for a 46 x 20 freewheel for the undulating course such as ours or l'Eroica. Any thoughts or advice (other than not doing it on a single speed!)?

Regards,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Yarisbob

Provisionally count me in Brendan.. ! I am only a few weeks on the bike so 70k will be fine !

I'll have my 87' Peugeot 531pro with me. I had to get another poster to put pics up for me !

It will be some sight all the Vintage bikes. Fare play to you and Dathai for getting this up and running !

Yarisbob wrote: »
    Provisionally count me in Brendan.. ! I am only a few weeks on the bike so 70k will be fine !

Great - look forward to meeting you.

• Advertisement

If I don't get the finger out I'll be arriving down with a box of parts and a frame.

IMAG0488.jpg

Advertisement