Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭jfh

Historically I'd agree with you on this. However!

The new Kayano 18 is a lot, lot, lot lighter than even the Kayano 17, down to 326g.

They have also tweaked the Duomax to make the transition from heel to toe smoother, easing out the clunkiness of the past shoes. If you are used to the structure of the Kayano this one is going to be hard to beat and seems to be ticking more of the boxes.

actually went for gait analysis in AK in bray few years ago and they suggested kayanos, i'm running in lunarglides and adidas supernova(got them in scrappage sale) really like the nike, but i would like to go back to the kayanos for marathon training, would the mizuno inspire be similiar to the kayano? might get both.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Inspire isn't as supportive as the Kayano - if you're in Lunarglides and Adidas Supernova, then the Inspire would probably be on a similar level (or slightly more supportive than the Lunarglide) to them and to the Asics 2160.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I have runners that I use for different sessions - so for example I use the Tempos and Manas for faster paced sessions and more cushioned for my day to day mileage and this time around I'm also using the Tempos for my LSR, so I'm well used to those in advance of the Marathon.

are they both adidas shoes, never heard of them?

Inspire isn't as supportive as the Kayano - if you're in Lunarglides and Adidas Supernova, then the Inspire would probably be on a similar level (or slightly more supportive than the Lunarglide) to them and to the Asics 2160.

so similiar to the asics 2160? keen to try out another brand to satisify the kid in me, always went with asics then tried the nike and was pleasantly surprised. rainbow kirby you run in the mizuno? yeah glad the hear that the 18s are lighter

I run in the Kayano now, ran in the Inspire until I got injured running the Barcelona marathon in March. Inspire just didn't have enough support for me, which is a real shame because I absolutely loved them. I find the 17 a little too cushioned for my liking, if I could go back to the Inspire and not get injured I would, so the fact that the 18 is lighter is really good news for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

jfh wrote: »
    actually went for gait analysis in AK in bray few years ago and they suggested kayanos, i'm running in lunarglides and adidas supernova(got them in scrappage sale) really like the nike, but i would like to go back to the kayanos for marathon training, would the mizuno inspire be similiar to the kayano? might get both.

As RK says the Inspire is a different support level to the Kayano. In terms of fit, balance of support and comfort the Mizuno Nirvana would be more like the Kayano.

The 2160 (2170 now) is like a lesser version of the Kayano. Slightly broader in the forefoot but most of the differences are in the styling and features. It is still more supportive than the Inspire and nowhere near as flexible on the foot.

I'm not 100% on the Nike range as a comparison but there are plenty of users here able to mix & match.

I run in the Kayano now, ran in the Inspire until I got injured running the Barcelona marathon in March. Inspire just didn't have enough support for me, which is a real shame because I absolutely loved them. I find the 17 a little too cushioned for my liking, if I could go back to the Inspire and not get injured I would, so the fact that the 18 is lighter is really good news for me.

Mizuno Wave Nirvana. You should like that.

Mizuno Wave Nirvana. You should like that.

thanks amphking, do ye stock those in oranmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

are they both adidas shoes, never heard of them?

Yep both from the Adizero range

thanks amphking, do ye stock those in oranmore?

New model is due in January, we'll have it again then. I'll keep you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

As RK says the Inspire is a different support level to the Kayano. In terms of fit, balance of support and comfort the Mizuno Nirvana would be more like the Kayano.

The 2160 (2170 now) is like a lesser version of the Kayano. Slightly broader in the forefoot but most of the differences are in the styling and features. It is still more supportive than the Inspire and nowhere near as flexible on the foot.

I'm not 100% on the Nike range as a comparison but there are plenty of users here able to mix & match.
    just to confuse u a bit more.....i wear inspire 4 everthing,also like kayanos and had a pair for 600 miles,got the nirvanas for a look although did similar milage in them ,didnt rate them dat much....

ultraman1, I'm the same as you re the Inspire. The Nirvana is a more structured shoe than the Inspire. It's like the Alchemy but without the broader footbed and in the same comfort class as the Kayano.

Mizuno are the one brand of shoe than can be sensitive to body weight. If you're too light or too heavy for a particular shoe it will feel completely different.

I would presume the Kayano would not suit you? Personally I find it comfortable to wear but too much support for running in. I love the flex and roll of the Inspire. Some good changes happening there too! I hope to have a new pair out this weekend for a run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Mizuno are the one brand of shoe than can be sensitive to body weight..

I would presume the Kayano would not suit you?

u sayin im fat:)

didnt like the kayanos at first,but they kinda grew on me..would get them as second pair if they were a bit cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭dahat

What runners compare to the Brooks Beast?

Monster runners but working well for me......Would the new Kayano's provide enough support for me to use for race running,at my level of course...no olympian here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

dahat wrote: »

Monster runners but working well for me......Would the new Kayano's provide enough support for me to use for race running,at my level of course...no olympian here..

Check out this chart for comparable shoes from different brands

dahat wrote: »

Asics Gel-Evolution or Foundation would probably be more comparable to the Brooks Beast - that said, if you need as much shoe as the Beast then you're probably best sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

Got a new pair of New Balance 860 for e30 in Elverys when I bought my son a new pair of football boots, was shown how to lace NB's properly too so it makes full use of ankle support,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

The new Kayano 18 is a lot, lot, lot lighter than even the Kayano 17, down to 326g.

Saw the Kayano 18 in town earlier and wow, they are much lighter than the 16's I still have. Are you there Santa, it's me shaz...

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

I did the Conn full last year in Gel 16s and they were/are great. I also got a pair of Gel 17s last year and used them for most of my longer runs (from 90mins to 3:30 ish). I'm transitioning to VFFs though and I'll (hopefully) be using them for most/all of my runs/races by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

I was wearing Nike Triax, love them but not for long miles, but have recently purchased Kayano 18's and loving them, much lighter/cushiony than any asics I've had before, so am now wearing them for everything. Wore them for Raheny yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

I was wearing Mizuno Wave Inspire 6
    Stupidly decided to try another brand and went with Saucony Omni - didnt work out well
    Mizuno Wave Inspire 8 next and for ever more. Brilliant runner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

menoscemo wrote: »
    Check out this chart for comparable shoes from different brands

I've been 'diagnosed' in the past as an overpronator with flat feet. In fact when I was getting fitted recently for hiking boots the bloke asked if I had issues with my feet as he noticed I was flatfooted and recommended orthotics if I did.

I've previously worn Kayanos until I was fed up with holey toes and just over a year ago I was recommended Nike structure triax as a replacement.

From that chart the Kayanos are a support shoe as I would expect, but the Triax are a guidance. Anyway, I've never had issues with either shoe during or after long runs.

I'm now wearing Saucony Progrid Triumph which are neutral, so I've gradually worked my way up that chart. It'll be interesting to see how I fare with the Saucony after some long runs, I've only done a few sub 5ks since I've had them.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I've been 'diagnosed' in the past as an overpronator with flat feet. In fact when I was getting fitted recently for hiking boots the bloke asked if I had issues with my feet as he noticed I was flatfooted and recommended orthotics if I did.

I've previously worn Kayanos until I was fed up with holey toes and just over a year ago I was recommended Nike structure triax as a replacement.

From that chart the Kayanos are a support shoe as I would expect, but the Triax are a guidance. Anyway, I've never had issues with either shoe during or after long runs.

I'm now wearing Saucony Progrid Triumph which are neutral, so I've gradually worked my way up that chart. It'll be interesting to see how I fare with the Saucony after some long runs, I've only done a few sub 5ks since I've had them.

nike lunarglide is a good option for overpronators that aren't too severe. it offers "dynamic stability" - harder foam wedge on one side to stop overpronation. Plus they are reasonably light compared to other runners offering stability control.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I just received my first pair of Saucony Kinvara 2's and I'm looking forward to trying them out at lunch time today. Usually run in GT2160 so this is a bit of a change but I was looking for something with a small heel after changing to the forefoot. I've read some good reviews and they look great in bright red so hopefully it'll go well.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    I did the Conn full last year in Gel 16s and they were/are great. I also got a pair of Gel 17s last year and used them for most of my longer runs (from 90mins to 3:30 ish). I'm transitioning to VFFs though and I'll (hopefully) be using them for most/all of my runs/races by the end of the year.

are vff's really ok for long 20K runs? on concrete? huge change to go from the most cushioned shoe out there to one with none!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

4 miles in the new Kinvara's went well. Had to do the obligatory dirt dodging with my shiney new runners but I loved how they felt. I'll stick to the short runs for a while before I use them on the longer runs but so far so good.

Ecoenergy wrote: »
    4 miles in the new Kinvara's went well. Had to do the obligatory dirt dodging with my shiney new runners but I loved how they felt. I'll stick to the short runs for a while before I use them on the longer runs but so far so good.

have v1. not much change to v2 afaik. find them very good. very cushioned for the weight and encourages midfoot and forefoot strike. absolutely no stability control though so don't go too long with them for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

glasso wrote: »
    are vff's really ok for long 20K runs? on concrete? huge change to go from the most cushioned shoe out there to one with none!

Longest ive done is 18 miles in them. Once you build up slowly you'll be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

ThisRegard wrote: »

I'd be interested to see how you get on also.I was "diagnosed" also as an overpronator,was wearing asics 1160's,stability shoes.Im now in Saucony Triumph 8's. Im up to about 6 miles now,taking the change easy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Nike Pegasus 28 for long runs 20km or more
    Nike Lunarglide 2 for anything up to 15/20km
    Nike Air Alvord shield for light off-road
    Adidas kanadia 4 for other off road.
    Asics gel 1160 for odd runs

Would buy Pegasus again no question, same with the Lundarglides, a bit skinny so look a bit like clown shoes.

Advertisement