Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The offical TNA thread - News, Spoilers and the rest...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Jeff is better than he ever was as a singles wrestler, WWE would be mad not to sign him. Same goes for Bully.

he isn't better right now than he was in 2008-09 when he was having good to great matches with umaga, hhh, edge and punk regularly. honestly can't remember the last singles match jeff hardy was in close to the level of something like his efforts at summerslam/extreme rules 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,374 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Jeff is better than he ever was as a singles wrestler, WWE would be mad not to sign him. Same goes for Bully.

I'd love to see Ray as a singles competitor back in WWE

Jeff was mega over in WWE, they would be stupid not to try and resign him again imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he isn't better right now than he was in 2008-09 when he was having good to great matches with umaga, hhh, edge and punk regularly. honestly can't remember the last singles match jeff hardy was in close to the level of something like his efforts at summerslam/extreme rules 2009.

He had a great tag with Matt against the Wolves only a couple of weeks ago. He also had a great match with Lashley of all people not long before. The tag with Matt against Team 3D on Thursday was also very good.

You're not paying very much attention if you dont think he is delivering the goods right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Would love to see Bully Ray return, just to see how far he could go with a singles run. His single run when the Dudleys split really wasn't much. He has toned every single part of his personality and body since leaving. I'd say he would be fantastic if he returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

rossie1977 wrote: »

He hasn't been given much opportunity lately with the Willow stuff and working in a team but since 2012 he's been sharper in ring than he's ever been. Especially in 2012, the best run of non-gimmick matches of him career in my opinion against the likes of Angle, Aries and Roode.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Forgot to ask but did anyone see the Spud documentary on Challenge TV?

Even before TNA I liked Spud. An exceptionally smart and likable guy. The crowd heckling he got the initial years of his career part over his height, part over his terrible hair and gear would have completely ran off most people off from Wrestling. Obviously he continues to knock it out of the park in TNA. I will eventually get round seeing it. People who I trust on the UK scene praised it highly.

Haven't seen the doc but I echo the sentiment on Spud. He's taken everything TNA have thrown at him and made it gold. The man is brilliant. They better not break up EC3 and Spud though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

I saw about 75% of it and considering Alex Shane was involved it was really good.

The full documentary is region blocked but the trailer isn't:

Loved his reinvention as Rockstar Spud at the time. First time he showed main league level presence, "chops" and all that jazz. Before that he was a diminutive babyface that was eaten alive by any non-kiddie crowd.

Presentation wise I think Rockstar Spud made a lot others on the British scene think about their own act and set the ball rolling for the more evolved stuff we see now in places like ICW and Progress Wrestling. Like I said the guy is really smart. Inventive too comedy characters tend to fizzle out but in TNA he is still as fresh and as relative as he has ever been.

It seems Bound for Glory has sold out on the first day. For comparison, Wrestle-1 are running shows the week before and after in the same venue and both still have tickets available despite being on sale for a while now.

Must be a lot of promotion done in Japan as Impact has hardly mentioned it.

• Advertisement

Well worth a read:
    http://grantland.com/features/tna-professional-wrestling-dixie-carter-jeff-jarrett-wwe/

Highlights via Mike Johnson:
    A piece on Grantland.com, which is a subsidiary of ESPN by Thomas Golianopoulos features a lot of new insight into the state of TNA, what led them to their current position and more with quotes from a lot of major players including President Dixie Carter, founder Jeff Jarrett and a number of talents, including the departed AJ Styles.
    The article covers a lot, from the early origins of the company, the Carter family stepping in and the current concerns about it's well being. It can be read at this link, but here are just a few highlights:

In her first public comments about Jeff Jarrett since he departed the company, Dixie Carter said, " “I will always give props to Jeff. Out of the thousands of wrestlers out there he’s the only one who decided to create something with his own money. I have mad respect for that, always have and always will. I love Jeff as a person. I wish him and his precious family nothing but success."

*The ownership of Jeff Jarrett's fledgling Global Force Wrestling is described as a number of investors, including country-singer Toby Keith, although at the end of an interview with Jarrett, Golianopoulos notes, "After our lunch, I can’t decide if Jarrett is the friendliest man in the South or a source working a reporter; there’s a reason why old-school wrestlers, especially promoters, have been compared to carnival barkers."

Dixie Carter's claim that TMZ.com ran with their story that Impact was "canceled" before she even saw their request for comment. She later responded to the website that the two sides were still in negotiations - and that comment was never published.

AJ Styles departed the company after being offered what was described as a "40%" pay cut." On that departure, Carter said, "I hate that we lost AJ. Are you listening?”, with the author noting that she was speaking right into his recorder. "I hate it. I felt like we gave him a great offer. I really did. I felt like we gave him a great offer and I think he made a mistake." [in leaving]

AJ Styles on the Bischoff/Hogan regime: "I don’t think Eric and Hogan knew the roster at all. In fact, I don’t even know if they watched the show before they came in, and if they did it had to be very little. No one knew who I was. No one knew who [Samoa] Joe was. We added Rob Van Dam because everyone knows him."

TNA's John Gaburick on the creative change he's instituted since coming into the company and sending the previous creative regime home: "I think the audience was challenging us to give them something a little more straightforward — good old-fashioned wrestling instead of laborious talk or long, drawn-out stories. The long-form story lines that take forever to play out were not that effective."

Carter on wrestling fans who hope TNA does go out of business: "All these people say, ‘I hope you go out of business’ — why would you ever want that? You don’t think we make wrestling better just by exposing more people and giving people more options? It’s the most ludicrous, shortsighted thing — the sheer absurdity and stupidity of it blows my mind. I feel sorry for the wrestling business if we’re not around."

Among those also interviewed for the piece are Bobby Roode, Jim Cornette, Vince Russo, EC3, Joey Ryan and more. Eric Bischoff was contacted but declined to comment, saying he cannot comment on TNA "at all."

Overall, a piece that is certainly worth seeking out and reading.

Terrible headline but really good article.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Riddle101

God I hate Dixie so much. Just a bunch of babbling but nothing really worth listening to. Textbook type responses if you ask me.

I want to here what the others have to say. You know Roode, Cornette, EC3, Ryan etc. Also it looks like Bischoff has signed a non disclosure deal.

Her company is in trouble, there's really not much she can do other than try to spin everything she can.

Of course but it's the same old story isn't it? Dixie playing the sweet innocent owner, who had nothing to do with any of the problems, and blaming the fans for being so negative. Yeah Dixie they are negative, because you can't manage are wrestling company to save your life.

If TNA does go out of business, you can bet they'll still be trying to cover their arses and making out that it wasn't their fault. They'll probably blame Spike tv, or make something up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Riddle101 wrote: »
    If TNA does go out of business, you can bet they'll still be trying to cover their arses and making out that it wasn't their fault. They'll probably blame Spike tv, or make something up.
    Nah they'll blame the viewers for not understanding or being patient enough...

Doesn't every business person pass the blame for the bad and take the credit for the good? Not exclusive to Dixie and if anything, shows she isn't as thick as people think. Had she accepted the blame, almost nobody would work with her in future.

Whatever genius decided to start the World Cup ONO show with a ~30 minute draft deserves a kick in the head.

Some of the picks are retarded too. Spoilers ahead if you care enough about the picks. Angle picked Davey Richards, common sense says pick Eddie Edwards so Angle can't get the Wolves, right? Roode, Young and EC3 make their picks and not one of them think of picking Eddie. It comes to Angle again and he can now complete the team so of course he picks Madison Rayne? Eventually Young picks Eddie but it just killed the illusion that they were actually picking on the fly.

Fans were chanting for Aries every single time but he isn't even in the thing. Surely he is one of the first people you get for the show?

http://www.pwinsider.com/article/89182/kurt-angletna-spoiler.html?p=1
    Kurt Angle (who is in Hollywood this week working on acting endeavors) is believed to have signed a new part-time deal with TNA that will allow him to split time between pro wrestling and pursuing acting work.

I believe the announcement that Angle has signed a new deal is what Dixie Carter has been teasing on Twitter of late in terms of her big announcement.

Angle's deal expired in late September and there was communication with WWE, which was only interested in him if he was willing to commit to a full-time schedule - something Angle was not willing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What type of fulltime schedule were WWE expecting him to do? GM?

• Advertisement

I'm kind've weary about whether or not WWE really did offer Kurt Angle a full time deal. I mean it wouldn't be beyond the realms to believe that Kurt Angle put that story out himself about the full time deal to save face and make it look like he rejected WWE.

I'm kind've weary about whether or not WWE really did offer Kurt Angle a full time deal. I mean it wouldn't be beyond the realms to believe that Kurt Angle put that story out himself about the full time deal to save face and make it look like he rejected WWE.

With him being away for so long, they would want to get their moneys worth out of him. A Jericho or RVD type deal wouldn't do that. They would need him to be full time, at least initially.

A Lesnar type deal was obviously never going to happen.

The thing I find odd is how they could afford to seemingly re-sign Angle, but not the likes of Styles, Bad Influence, Sabin etc. who would cost a lot less, but bring in the same number of fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

gnfnrhead wrote: »

The thing I find odd is how they could afford to seemingly re-sign Angle, but not the likes of Styles, Bad Influence, Sabin etc. who would cost a lot less, but bring in the same number of fans.

styles in wwe might cause some buzz the others would not. angle was a name during the ae who mainevented a wrestlemania and known to 99.99% of wwe fans and if he was fit you could program him with the likes of lesnar, bryan, rusev or cena off the bat.

moot point anyway because like riddle said i seriously doubt wwe offered him any deal let alone a full time one. angle is in far worse shape now than when he was let go 8 years ago. i don't see how its possible he would pass a physical to undertake a full time schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

This. No way on earth did WWE offer him a full time deal. I mean we always hear he left WWE because they were worrying for his health and wanted him working less dates but now we hear they only wanted him working full time. My personal believe is at this moment in time they have no interest in Angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Any update on their TV Deal yet? It's getting awfully close to January....

Garseys wrote: »
    Any update on their TV Deal yet? It's getting awfully close to January....

Apparently they're close and the news has been a deal will be announced soon for a few weeks now but until a deal is signed anything can happen.

The story is twisting and turning and we've got ourselves Website Warz.

Via WrestlingInc
    I reported earlier that TNA Executive Vice President John Gaburick was in New York City supposedly finalizing a television deal for TNA. I heard this from a reliable source, however TNA executive Bob Ryder - who was one of my very first wrestling interviews from back in 1997 during his Prodigy days - strongly rebuked my report on Twitter, writing:
    More sloppy reporting. If you label something "exclusive" it should be accurate. Wrestling "journalism" isn't what it used to be.

Dave Scherer later reported on PWInsider that Gaburick is at TNA offices in Nashville, TN.

I reached out again to my source, who said that the report was accurate except for the fact that Gaburick was not currently in New York City, but was there this past weekend and on Monday. They were also looking to set up more TV tapings in New York City, since the TV announcement is imminent and they wanted to be able to lock in a date with a venue as quickly as possible. The company apparently wants to shoot new TV as soon as possible once the deal is announced.

I reached out to another source, who confirmed my report and said that Dixie Carter will be making an announcement this Friday.

Dave Meltzer commented on my earlier report on the F4WOnline Board, writing:

"Gaburick is in Nashville today. That said, most of the story is not inaccurate. But it's not a story yet.

"PWInsider should be careful about being used for denials on these things. If the deal falls through, they are right. If it doesn't, it'll look bad in a week or two."

The next two days could be mental Wrestling news with the WWE Financials and the fallout.

Welp:
    Bad sign for TNA Impact's immediate future on Spike

The Spike website is listing the movie End of Watch for the Wednesday, November 26th time slot -- the first week that would have had "Best of Impact Wrestling" programming that was orginally talked about for the remainder of the year.

It's been reported that Spike will continue airing Impact in December and this is only a one night thing. However, Spike also said that they have not determined whether Impact will air on either Dec. 24 or Dec. 31. A Spike official said that the change was made because 11/26 (Thanksgiving eve) is usually a weak night for television.

The Wednesday, November 19th show is the final original episode as TNA has no events scheduled in November to do new tapings. However, there are plans not announced for future tapings.

Actually:
    Update 11/5 6:35 pm ET: F4WOnline reports that a Spike TV official said that Impact is being pre-empted that night because it is a weak night for television given that it's the Thanksgiving holiday. Impact will reportedly return to its normal timeslot the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is it true the wrestlers can't take other bookings while on downtime? Like can't wrestle indies.

Advertisement