Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Betting Log

Options
  • 18-02-2013 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭

I have been betting golf each week since the start of last year with mixed success. Started off very well last year then faded in the middle before doing well towards the end of the year.

I have had a flying start to this year with Dustin Johnson's win, Brian Gay's win and also an each way double with harrington and howell one week. So I have decided to try keep this log to keep track of how I am doing. I don't back in huge amounts so don't keep spreadsheets or the like. So I am just doing this for a bit of interest for myself. (but any feedback is more than welcome)

I will make selections on both the pga and european tour but last year the majority of my successful bets have come on the pga tour. I back in 3 places these are betfair, boylesports and my local bookies park racing (usually because they might pay an extra place each way or other specials). I will make my selections on a points basis and as i said I am not the biggest punter so 1pt win is equal to a €5 bet for me. When making a selection I will post the price I have backed it at (this may not be the best price available as I only back with the above)

So looking forward to getting started on this and my selections for this week are nearly finalized.

Current Balance: 0 pts :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

So first week is a tricky one as anything can happen in the matchplay event. This weeks even takes place in Dove Mountain in Arizona and the course is a 7,791 yard par 72 course.

The full draw is below and I will look to keep my selections apart to start with. I also think there is very little value in the market leaders.

Bobby Jones bracket

Rory McIlroy (NI) v Shane Lowry (Ire)

Rickie Fowler (US) v Carl Pettersson (Swe)

Dustin Johnson (US) v Alexander Noren (Swe)

Graeme McDowell (NI) v Padraig Harrington (Ire)

Bubba Watson (US) v Chris Wood (Eng)

Jim Furyk (US) v Ryan Moore (US)

Charl Schwartzel (SA) v Russell Henley (US)

Zach Johnson (US) v Jason Day (Aus)

Gary Player bracket

Louis Oosthuizen (SA) v Richie Ramsay (Sco)

Branden Grace (SA) v Robert Garrigus (US)

Keegan Bradley (US) v Marcus Fraser (Aus)

Ernie Els (SA) v Fredrik Jacobson (Swe)

Justin Rose (Eng) v KJ Choi (Kor)

Bill Haas (US) v Nicolas Colsaerts (Bel)

Sergio Garcia (Spa) v Thongchai Jaidee (Tha)

Matt Kuchar (US) v Hiroyuki Fujita (Jpn)

Ben Hogan bracket

Tiger Woods (US) v Charles Howell III (US)

Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano (Spa) v Francesco Molinari (Ita)

Webb Simpson (US) v David Lynn (Eng)

Peter Hanson (Swe) v Thomas Bjorn (Den)

Lee Westwood (Eng) v Rafael Cabrera-Bello (Spa)

Martin Kaymer (Ger) v George Coetzee (SA)

Jason Dufner (US) v Richard Sterne (SA)

Hunter Mahan (US) v Matteo Manassero (Ita)

Sam Snead bracket

Luke Donald (Eng) v Marcel Siem (Ger)

Paul Lawrie (Sco) v Scott Piercy (US)

Steve Stricker (US) v Henrik Stenson (Swe)

Nick Watney (US) v David Toms (US)

Adam Scott (Aus) v Tim Clark (SA)

Jamie Donaldson (Wal) v Thorbjorn Olesen (Den)

Ian Poulter (Eng) v Steven Gallacher (Sco)

Bo Van Pelt (US) v John Senden (Aus)

Selections
    I have decided to back one in each section of the draw to win that section and then two bets on the overall winner

Bobby Jones Bracket: Dustin Johnson 1pt win @ 11/1
    Gary Player Bracket: Nicolas Colsearts 1pt win @ 16/1
    Ben Hogan Bracket: Martin Kaymer 1pt win @ 12/1
    Sam Snead Bracket: Ian Poulter 1pt win @ 11/2

Outright winner: Colsearts 1pt win @ 64/1 & D. Johnson 1pt win @ 37/1

I might also add to this in play depending on how things are going.

Current Balance: -6pts

Keegan bradley is also sticking out for me but i am weary of getting too heavily involved in this event as its so unpridictable. I will decide one way or another tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Keegan bradley is also sticking out for me but i am weary of getting too heavily involved in this event as its so unpridictable. I will decide one way or another tomorrow

If Bradley can revive the Ryder cup spirit he'll be one to watch alright.

Ever check tips on golf central daily ?

alxmorgan wrote: »
    If Bradley can revive the Ryder cup spirit he'll be one to watch alright.

Ever check tips on golf central daily ?

never heard of it have you a link by any chance?
    I follow a couple of golf tipsters on twitter alright there is a few that are quite good but a couple of terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

never heard of it have you a link by any chance?
    I follow a couple of golf tipsters on twitter alright there is a few that are quite good but a couple of terrible

Golfcentraldaily.com I think.
    I cross reference tips there with Dave tindall from sky

• Advertisement

Decided against backing him I thought the 40s available the other day was a bit of value but decided not to go for him at 33's

Hope i dont regret it

Happy enough with how things are going so far obviously disappointed about dustin as I thought his distance off the tee would be an advantage here but all in all glad i trusted my judgment and stayed away from the favourites early on.

Colsaerts, kaymer and poulter all giving me a run for my money with colsaerts looking particularly impressive so far.

Disappointing day today but still have poulter going well and if he wins his 1/4 final I am in a small bit of profit.

I don't think there is a lot between the last 8 and any of them could win it out right. So I have decided to go in again at decent prices

Outright winner:
    simpson 2pt win @ 11.5
    garrigus 1pt win @ 16.5

Current Balance: -9pts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

Happy enough with how things are going so far obviously disappointed about dustin as I thought his distance off the tee would be an advantage here but all in all glad i trusted my judgment and stayed away from the favourites early on.

Colsaerts, kaymer and poulter all giving me a run for my money with colsaerts looking particularly impressive so far.

I don't know how you could pick Dustin. He's been playing ubersh1t the last few weeks. Did he even make the cut last week? Poulter looking good for you though.

I don't know how you could pick Dustin. He's been playing ubersh1t the last few weeks. Did he even make the cut last week? Poulter looking good for you though.

yeh he missed the cut the two previous weeks but he played well earlier in the season I was hoping he might be rejuvenated by the switch to matchplay at a course I thought might suit him.

In hindsight he looks to be completely out of form at the minute so I will be staying away from him for a while which is disappointing because I expected a big year from him this year.

• Advertisement

Bobby Jones Bracket: Dustin Johnson 1pt win @ 11/1
    Gary Player Bracket: Nicolas Colsearts 1pt win @ 16/1
    Ben Hogan Bracket: Martin Kaymer 1pt win @ 12/1
    Sam Snead Bracket: Ian Poulter 1pt win @ 11/2

Outright winner: Colsearts 1pt win @ 64/1 & D. Johnson 1pt win @ 37/1

Outright winner:
    simpson 2pt win @ 11.5
    garrigus 1pt win @ 16.5

Current Balance: -9pts

Poulter was my only winner this week and he was actually 13/2 not 11/2 as I had wrote above that was an error on my behalf. So Poulter returned 7.5pts

Current Balance -1.5pts

Ok decided to have a bet on the final for a bit of interest for the night. I am not Kuchar's biggest fan but he was defo the most impressive throughout the tournament. I decided to double him with poulter in the 3rd place playoff because Day just looks bolloxed and disinterested.

Kucher/poulter double 4pts @ just under 9/4

current Balance: -5.5pts

Ok not got a lot of time to do a big write up this week due to work and college I am bolloxed.

Firstly I will have a small bet on the European tour event the Tshwane Open open in South Africa. I know absolutely nothing about this event and I am only having a small bet as I read on twitter that this guy is a past winner on the course and is also a local.

Tshwane Open
    Jean Hugo 0.5pts E/W @ 150/1

Next is the Honda Classic which takes place in the PGA National course in Florida.

I was tempted to have a decent bet on tiger this week but decided he is plenty short enough at the minute. I will assess things more closely after the first round with regards Tiger but I have left him out for now. Can't have Rory this week either as he looks out of sorts with the new clubs particularly the putter.

Of the other favs not many appeal to me this week with only one selection coming from the head of the market and the others are all decent prices.

Honda Classic
    Justin Rose 3pt win @15.0
    Henrik Stenson 1pt win @80.0
    Sang-Moon Bae 0.75pt win @100
    Brian Gay 0.5pt win @180
    Charlie Beljan 0.5pt win @220
    Justin Hicks 0.5pt win @290

This weeks outlay: 7.25pts

Current Balance: -12.75pts

Ok not got a lot of time to do a big write up this week due to work and college I am bolloxed.

Firstly I will have a small bet on the European tour event the Tshwane Open open in South Africa. I know absolutely nothing about this event and I am only having a small bet as I read on twitter that this guy is a past winner on the course and is also a local.

Tshwane Open
    Jean Hugo 0.5pts E/W @ 150/1

Next is the Honda Classic which takes place in the PGA National course in Florida.

I was tempted to have a decent bet on tiger this week but decided he is plenty short enough at the minute. I will assess things more closely after the first round with regards Tiger but I have left him out for now. Can't have Rory this week either as he looks out of sorts with the new clubs particularly the putter.

Of the other favs not many appeal to me this week with only one selection coming from the head of the market and the others are all decent prices.

Honda Classic
    Justin Rose 3pt win @15.0
    Henrik Stenson 1pt win @80.0
    Sang-Moon Bae 0.75pt win @100
    Brian Gay 0.5pt win @180
    Charlie Beljan 0.5pt win @220
    Justin Hicks 0.5pt win @290

This weeks outlay: 7.25pts

Current Balance: -12.75pts

Jean Hugo is in joint 3rd, 2 shots off the lead so a bit of a sweat for the weekend hopefully.

Rose is 3 shots off the lead in america with Gay a shot further back but still playing. The others are all over par.

Disappointing weekend with Jean Hugo not challenging over the weekend and Justin Rose having a nightmare in the final round.

There was a tiny bit of good news though, I woke up hungover this morning to find a few extra € in my account to find out I had put 1pt e/w on David Lynn @ 100/1 yesterday paying 4 places then i remembered placing the bet and actually thought he was 150/1 when i placed it.

So in a bitter sweet moment Lynn tied 4th and returned a Massive 4.25pts for me :o

Current Balance is -10.5pts

Unfortunately the balance is still in the minus but that is the nature of golf betting and one winner will see us in profit. Looking forward to this week WGC Cadillac aswell.

I haven't looked into either event in much detail yet but a lot of tipsters tipping up Kuchar in the wgc and stenson in puerto rico open so decided i will have a speculative e/w double on the two of them.

Kuchar (16/1) & Stenson (22/1) 0.5pt E/W Double

Balance -11.5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

I haven't looked into either event in much detail yet but a lot of tipsters tipping up Kuchar in the wgc and stenson in puerto rico open so decided i will have a speculative e/w double on the two of them.

Kuchar (16/1) & Stenson (22/1) 0.5pt E/W Double

Balance -11.5

I try and stay away from "tipsters" and do my own research.

That said, it's almost impossible to get away from Kuchar 20/1. I think most of his victories have come about by "being left in front" and what I mean by that is that I think he just plays his round and if he's won then he's won.

So I really think he lacks a killer instinct. He's a steady Eddie.He plods but he plods very very well.

Fairway, Green and Putt. That's his game. His record here is pretty good (fits into the nice guy eddie mould, lots of high placings) but I think there may be one big difference this weekend.......

I think his victory in the matchplay might give him an edge. He may start believing more now. He might be thinking about "pullin away" to win rather than play it safe.

His stroke play is awesome, re top tens and consistency, but that matchplay victory may have "given him his head".

I'd have a small EW on Mahan 28/1 as a saver.

I had Snedeker when he finished 2nd twice this year and I didn't have him when he won (long story, was travelling and missed getting on) and I'm seeing Kuchar like that this weekend. I think he is a free bet re EW stakes and could win comfortably.

ps. Steve Stricker could go well here too and would be silly not to back him EW at big prices 55/1. I know he's had injury problems but looked good already this season before taking time off.

fangee wrote: »
    I try and stay away from "tipsters" and do my own research.

That said, it's almost impossible to get away from Kuchar 20/1. I think most of his victories have come about by "being left in front" and what I mean by that is that I think he just plays his round and if he's won then he's won.

So I really think he lacks a killer instinct. He's a steady Eddie.He plods but he plods very very well.

Fairway, Green and Putt. That's his game. His record here is pretty good (fits into the nice guy eddie mould, lots of high placings) but I think there may be one big difference this weekend.......

I think his victory in the matchplay might give him an edge. He may start believing more now. He might be thinking about "pullin away" to win rather than play it safe.

His stroke play is awesome, re top tens and consistency, but that matchplay victory may have "given him his head".

I'd have a small EW on Mahan 28/1 as a saver.

I had Snedeker when he finished 2nd twice this year and I didn't have him when he won (long story, was travelling and missed getting on) and I'm seeing Kuchar like that this weekend. I think he is a free bet re EW stakes and could win comfortably.

ps. Steve Stricker could go well here too and would be silly not to back him EW at big prices 55/1. I know he's had injury problems but looked good already this season before taking time off.

I find a lot of them (tipsters) are not great and it is just a big circlejerk between them. I do like when I pick up a bit of info that I wouldn't have known myself such a Jean Hugo being a past winner on the course last week when the course was under a different name.

Kuchar is not someone I particularly like in general he wins far too infrequent for my liking but this course could suit him that said I am happy with my small e/w double and wont be backing him as a single bet.

Hunter is one that does interest me and he is on my shortlist for this weekend I am just in the process of finalising my selections for the weekend at the min and should have them posted shortly.

Have you any opinion on the Puerto Rico open for this weekend?

I find a lot of them (tipsters) are not great and it is just a big circlejerk between them. I do like when I pick up a bit of info that I wouldn't have known myself such a Jean Hugo being a past winner on the course last week when the course was under a different name.

Kuchar is not someone I particularly like in general he wins far too infrequent for my liking but this course could suit him that said I am happy with my small e/w double and wont be backing him as a single bet.

Hunter is one that does interest me and he is on my shortlist for this weekend I am just in the process of finalising my selections for the weekend at the min and should have them posted shortly.

None what so ever.

I don't even really follow the European Tour. I did a few years ago but found it too difficult to cram so much in 2-3 days when combining both tours.

I stick almost solely to the PGA Tour now except for maybe 3-5 (if even that many) on the European Tour.

Ok gona stake a little bit extra this weekend for two reasons, I am off work most of the weekend and will be able to sit back and watch for the weekend and secondly I will be away at Cheltenham next week so unlikely to have any pre tournament selections next week.

Firstly the Puerto Rico Open which looks an exciting tournament itself. There is value in the outsiders here imo none of the field under 50/1 appeal to be that much at the prices. The problem is I like the look at so many of the outsiders I will stick with these three at decent prices for now.

Roberto Castro 1pt E/W @ 150/1
    Micheal Bradly 1pt E/W @100/1
    Stephen Ames 0.5pt win @190.0

Staked: 4.5pts

Balance -16pts

• Advertisement

OK. Just had a quick look at the Puerto Rico Open and it's effectively a second tier PGA event.

So I'd select John Rollins on the basis that I felt he was good enough on a few occasions to win on the main tour and looks decent @ 33/1 or 40/1 if you have a corals account.

fangee wrote: »
    None what so ever.

I don't even really follow the European Tour. I did a few years ago but found it too difficult to cram so much in 2-3 days when combining both tours.

I stick almost solely to the PGA Tour now except for maybe 3-5 (if even that many) on the European Tour.

I found the European Tour very unpredictable last year and mostly just have a token bet for interest.

I think this event is wide open and I will again be staying away from Rory and Tiger this week although both are at interesting prices. American seem to be the players in form this season so will be going down this route to start.

Firstly I will a play in the first round leader market with last years runner up
    Bubba Watson 1pt win @44.0 (first round leader)

Outright Winner
    Hunter Mahan 2.5pt win @34.0
    Nick Watney 2.5pt win @34.0

Looking forward to the weekend and I wont rule out getting involved in play in this event either.

Staked 6pts

Current Balance -22pts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Redzer......I fancy Justin Hicks strongly this week,I know u tipped him up last week,nothing worse than picking the winner a week to early,stick a few e/w on him just in case

Redzer......I fancy Justin Hicks strongly this week,I know u tipped him up last week,nothing worse than picking the winner a week to early,stick a few e/w on him just in case

he is someone i looked at again this week but thought he was too short at 60/1 but just checked betfair and he is available @120.0 which does interest me.

Any particular reason you fancy him this week?

he is someone i looked at again this week but thought he was too short at 60/1 but just checked betfair and he is available @120.0 which does interest me.

Any particular reason you fancy him this week?

he wasn't far off here a few years ago when i had him backed at crazy prices,have kept an eye ever since
    impressed me a lot at pebble beach this year
    he's made every cut this year,although he never really looked like placing

he's 12th in gir,pretty steady player,putting and chipping isn't great though,it seems if he's not hitting greens he doesn't tend to get it up and down.

All that said,this event should be more his level,he was very consistant last year on the web.com tour and i think a bet @120 or a bit lower on betfair will set up for a nice green up over the week-end.

he wasn't far off here a few years ago when i had him backed at crazy prices,have kept an eye ever since
    impressed me a lot at pebble beach this year
    he's made every cut this year,although he never really looked like placing

he's 12th in gir,pretty steady player,putting and chipping isn't great though,it seems if he's not hitting greens he doesn't tend to get it up and down.

All that said,this event should be more his level,he was very consistant last year on the web.com tour and i think a bet @120 or a bit lower on betfair will set up for a nice green up over the week-end.
    Cheers for the reply, i had a reply wrote out but somehow lost it as am on phone.

So i have added justin hicks 0.5pt win @ 118.5 to my bets for the weekend

Balance: -22.5

Cheers for the reply, i had a reply wrote out but somehow lost it as am on phone.

So i have added justin hicks 0.5pt win @ 118.5 to my bets for the weekend

fwiw i expect a decent show from David Hearn, also at big prices, i'll be laying before he schits his caks on Sat or Sunday

nice sweat on bubba for 1st round reader!! 3 holes to go and in a good position!

Come on Bubba!!

• Advertisement

Bubba had his chances to get the lead outright but just missed out and unfortunetly shared the lead at the end.

Returned just over 8pts

Balance is now -14.5pts

Advertisement