Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smuggling Booze into a wedding reception

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I have no idea what insurance has to do with it. That's like asking If I go into a hotel, and If I'm eating, drop, and slip, on a banana that I bought in a fruit and veg shop down the road, who do I claim off?

It still doesn't result in any theft.

You're a taxi driver; If I say "to the airport, please" but then realise i got my days mixed up and say "sorry, i'm not going to the airport, my mistake, you can drop me here", I haven't stole from you.

Just because you're expecting to get the airport fare doesn't mean that anything less is theft. (edit: obviously it's theft if i go to the airport and decide not to pay, but i mean if i decide on a shorter journey).
    You pay for the service you availed of, that's fair enough, different thing entirely.

So you think there's nothing wrong with taking your own drink to a wedding.
    Do you eat your own ham samiches in McDonald's?
    Do you hang your own suit in Dunnes Stores?
    Do you go to Currys to watch the X-Factor?
    Do you get an expensive experienced plumber to fix your dishwasher only then pay the inexperienced plumber across the road?

Why is one of these OK while the others are not? Why is it OK to bring your own drink to a venue that has the proper license and appropriate public liability insurance for the sale of alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Empty Tampax box with a half bottle in.

works everytime.. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

andrew wrote: »
    Just last week I was in Topman, but instead of getting trousers there I got them from H&M. Who would I have sued had I fallen in Topman? Why Topman of course. So I suppose I'm a major thief, and committed theft there just last week.

Oh wait that's not stealing, it literally contradicts the actual definition of the word 'steal' because I didn't Take another person's property without permission or legal right. Are people who choose not to drink also stealing because they get their kicks naturally rather than purchasing something?
    Of course not. If the H&M trousers ripped the balls of you would you sue Topman?:confused: Of course you wouldn't. If you did, and Topman were instructed to pay out, now that's a different story altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Where To wrote: »
    You pay for the service you availed of, that's fair enough, different thing entirely.

Do you get an expensive experienced plumber to fix your dishwasher only then pay the inexperienced plumber across the road?

Why is one of these OK while the others are not? Why is it OK to bring your own drink to a venue that has the proper license and appropriate public liability insurance for the sale of alcohol?

The couple has paid for OP to be there. The buyer/seller relationship is between the hotel and the wedding couple. I fail to see how, if someone has already paid for him to be there, OP has any obligation to purchase anything. And it's definitely not theft.

And those examples you give aren't analogous; the last one with the plumber especially. If you don't pay someone you've contracted to do work, that's theft. OP hasn't contracted anyone to do anything, the couple have. They'll pay the hotel, and the hotel will make a profit. And so as long as the couple pay, nothing has been stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,320 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

mauzo wrote: »
    My aunt brought a box of wine to my brothers 21st, she wrapped it up like a present and left the tap sticking out.

She just put it on the table in front of her and topped up her glass whenever she needed to.

Booze smuggling level: Ninja.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I have extreme views on people who bring in there own drink to pubs/clubs/weddings........

They should be shot!

But since that is not going to be happening any time soon. OP if bringing beer in make sure it is either miller or corona as there is no difference between the bottles bought in the supermarket and what the hotel buys in. There is a chance that the bud/coors/heineken will be returnable bottles which have different labels on them. Also if bringing in vodka or some other clear spirit do not just put it in a plastic water bottle and stick it on the table.

Also most hotel staff will be able to tell a mile away if you have your own drink with you, but management may not say anything so as not to spoil the brides big day. i.e. don't be a prick to staff because it may give them a reason to say something if they are aware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You're robbing from the venue. if you think their prices are too high don't go.

I usually sneak into a wedding reception and smuggle booze out of it. According to your logic I'm doing them a favour. I'm delighted to know my actions are in line for the "Where to" seal of approval for supporting the venue and what have you.

There is a place near me that always has weddings, food is utter shoite but feck it, free champagne! Can't bate that now really can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

Went to a colleague's wedding a few years ago. A group of us were invited to the full day and what with outfits, presents and an overnight stay in the hotel, we were down hundreds of euro. So we all brought half bottles of various spirits with us. At first we were nipping upstairs to refill our drinks, but by the end of the night we were all ****faced with the bottles on top of the table. Nobody said a word to us!

More recently, a friend of mine tried to do the same at a reception in Belfast. The barstaff spotted the bottle of buckfast (what an amateur!) and took it off her. Although they did give it back at the end of the night when she was heading to the resident's bar.

None of those are really the same thing at all. And none are theft (except the last one, but I assume you meant to word it differently to make a different point?).

I don't agree with bringing alcohol to a Wedding, by the way. If you can't afford the reception then only attend the ceremony. Simple stuff.

My issue was with you saying that not buying a product is theft.

If I go into Currys, and a sales assistant talks me through their TV range, but I don't buy one, I haven't stole from them. I've chosen not to make a purchase (despite how much the sales assistant may have wanted or expected me to).

If I open the door of your car, ask "how much to my house" and you give me a price, and I don't like the price, so say my goodbyes, just because you expected me to hop in doesn't mean I've stole from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Empty Tampax box with a half bottle in.

works everytime.. ;)

Ahaa! So that's what Prince Charles was talking to Camilla about!

When Mother Nature Calls
    When Prince Charles finally wed longtime love Camilla Parker-Bowles in 2005, it was a fitting resolution to their star-crossed affair. But their relationship wasn’t always a bed of roses. Charles’ previous marriage, to Princess Di, was a morass of mudslinging and scandals, but none was as humiliating as Tampongate. In a secretly recorded 1991 conversation, Charles exclaimed to Camilla, “I want to be reincarnated as a tampon and live inside your trousers forever.” The tabloids had a field day printing the lurid details. Charles might be embarrassed, but I feel worse for the public: that indelible mental image is burned on our brains forever.

Via http://www.divinecaroline.com/112939/100721-happily-never-after-seven-shocking#ixzz29gGRQZU9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's been a while since I've been to a wedding where I've had to pay for drink. It's seems to be a very Irish thing that you have to pay for drinks and that there is no bar included. It's ridiculous when you consider the price that hotels already request for the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Dazza14

Brilliant!! This was a 50-50 argument when I mentioned it in the house earlier too, although no one mentioned stealing.

I'll be at the top table so won't be smuggling much anywhere, was just after the most ingenious way to do so :D. The lads were talking about wrapping a big box in wedding paper and filling it with their drink of choice, they even talked about bringing in 2 litres of whatever their mixer is. Not sure where they would go from there though.

mauzo wrote: »
    My aunt brought a box of wine to my brothers 21st, she wrapped it up like a present and left the tap sticking out.

She just put it on the table in front of her and topped up her glass whenever she needed to.

This has took the above to another level and is my favourite thus far. Haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I like to bring a hipflask with whiskey to share with the lads.
    Not because I can't afford drink, it's just that it's "manly".

Advertisement