Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smuggling Booze into a wedding reception

Options
  • 18-10-2012 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Howdy.

Many years ago I was a member of boards.ie, and now after getting through school and uni, with some spare time I've decided to come back.

With many of my mates attending a local wedding this weekend, all the chat is how to smuggle their booze into the expensive hotel hosting the wedding reception. Whether you agree or disagree, this seems to be common practice for lots of people at weddings.

I don't think Id have the balls to do so, but I do know some lads that will be at it come this weekend

So what is the most inventive / funny method of smuggling booze into such an event that you have heard or seen?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dazza14 wrote: »
    Many years ago I was a member of boards.ie, and now after getting through school and uni, with some spare time I've decided to come back.

You were a member of Boards before you started school?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was at a mates wedding about 3 years ago and a few of us just carried in a box-cooler full of drink. Nobody said anything.

Unless they're searching people on the way in then you'll be grand with a few bottles in a bag. If they are searching people then the whole thing is probably best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Sneak into the hotel the day before and hide it behind the bar!!

Nobody will notice your lidl bought vodka there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Swallow it they'll never guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If you're staying there just pop up to the room every so often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

Can't go wrong with the crouching tiger hidden naggin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

is the brides father not buying the drink for the night? shoddy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I'd stay at home rather than resort to stealing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Where To wrote: »

Stealing? Who is stealing anything?

How is it stealing, out of curiousity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Imo, if someone is paying good money to host a wedding reception at a hotel or what ... the hotel shouldnt be saying anything to people who bring the odd naggin or two.
    Dazza14 wrote: »
    So what is the most inventive / funny method of smuggling booze into such an event that you have heard or seen?

Never done it myself (Should of :pac:) But knew two girls who would always carry vodka in a hip flask like this one into pubs. Looking back they were right. You just get ripped off in pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Put it in your room or if ur not staying there put it in some one elses and in exchange give them some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

KKV wrote: »

You're robbing from the venue. if you think their prices are too high don't go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Grayson wrote: »
    If you're staying there just pop up to the room every so often.
    There's people not willing to pay swanky hotel prices for the booze, I doubt they are staying in the swanky hotel. Staying in a swanky hotel so you can stash the room full of tesco value cider is just wrong. It's all about a fleabag B&B down the road and naggins of Jameson in every pocket.. ;):o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

You're depriving the hotel owner of his huge big whopping markup, don't you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

The bride and grooms family are paying a probably vast amount to the hotel for the use of their manky facilities and piss poor cliched beef and salmon. It is not my responsibility as a wedding guest to cough up obscene amounts to the hotel at their overpriced bar. I wouldn't feel in the least guilty for having the good sense and foresight to pocket a hipflask prior to attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

langdang wrote: »
    There's people not willing to pay swanky hotel prices for the booze, I doubt they are staying in the swanky hotel. Staying in a swanky hotel so you can stash the room full of tesco value cider is just wrong. It's all about a fleabag B&B down the road and naggins of Jameson in every pocket.. ;):o

The last irish one i was at we did that. We paid about 40 each for a chalet attached to the hotel. We spent about 100-150 each on hotel alcohol. And we still went back to the chalet a few tims for some swift shots.

Looking back, starting the night the bar with a round of jager bombs was a mistake.

The last wedding i was at was my sisters and was abroad. i spent abouy 25 euro on drink that night. Everything was 2eur at the bar.

You're robbing from the venue. if you think their prices are too high don't go.

How is it robbing from the venue? You're taking nothing from them. Assuming the bride and groom will have paid to feed you, you going in the first place means that you've already benefited the venue before you even set foot in the place.

9959 wrote: »
    You're depriving the hotel owner of his huge big whopping markup, don't you know.

I'm a photographer, so I'll use a photo related example; A woman booked me before after a session she did with PixiFoto. They gave her a free session and a free 8x10 print as part of some promotion they were doing.

The minute she set foot in the door she got a hard sell from them to buy more photos, but she didn't, she only took what was offered to her initially.

Is she a thief?

EDIT: Actually, 9959, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not :confused:

How is it robbing from the venue? You're taking nothing from them. Assuming the bride and groom will have paid to feed you, you going in the first place means that you've already benefited the venue before you even set foot in the place.

I'm a photographer, so I'll use a photo related example; A woman booked me before after a session she did with PixiFoto. They gave her a free session and a free 8x10 print as part of some promotion they were doing.

The minute she set foot in the door she got a hard sell from them to buy more photos, but she didn't, she only took what was offered to her initially.

Is she a thief?
    So if you impale yourself on a shard of glass doing shoo the donkey do you claim off the wedding couple or the off license that sold you the drink? Do you ***!!:pac:

The venue is providing insurance, staff, light and heat and various other comforts for you. The wedding couple are paying for a meal, room hire, drink rounds etc., nothing to do with your thievery:)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

The venue is providing insurance, staff, light and heat and various other comforts for you. The wedding couple are paying for a meal, room hire, drink rounds etc., nothing to do with your thievery:)

so technically you're "stealing" frxom the bride and groom.Your point is ridiciulous.You'd end up buying mixers anyway which would cover what you're "stealing".

If anything the venue is the one stealing.

So if you impale yourself on a shard of glass doing shoo the donkey do you claim off the wedding couple or the off license that sold you the drink? Do you ***!!:pac:

I have no idea what insurance has to do with it. That's like asking If I go into a hotel, and If I'm eating, drop, and slip, on a banana that I bought in a fruit and veg shop down the road, who do I claim off?

It still doesn't result in any theft.

You're a taxi driver; If I say "to the airport, please" but then realise i got my days mixed up and say "sorry, i'm not going to the airport, my mistake, you can drop me here", I haven't stole from you.

Just because you're expecting to get the airport fare doesn't mean that anything less is theft. (edit: obviously it's theft if i go to the airport and decide not to pay, but i mean if i decide on a shorter journey).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

My aunt brought a box of wine to my brothers 21st, she wrapped it up like a present and left the tap sticking out.

She just put it on the table in front of her and topped up her glass whenever she needed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

It's an open bar or I'll spend my gift money elsewhere ...like a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Brought a bottle of vodka and Bacardi with us to the last wedding we went to, bought to bottles of still water at the bar brought them up to the room and filled one each of vodka and Bacardi, back at the wedding just bought a coke when needed, left bottles of "water" on the table ..... No bothers..... Had a great cheap night!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

My friends (im 19) are experts at this. The is saving large empty perfume bottles(100 mls) and the anti-bacterical hand gels things and fill them with vodka. Works perfect or a sly naggin in the dick area works great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

How is it robbing from the venue?.....

EDIT: Actually, 9959, I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic or not :confused:

I was being sarcastic, I thought 'whopping' was the giveaway.

Needless to say, I agree with your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭byrner88

wrap a crate of beer in wrapping paper, walk to your table and put it under . bingo just get some ice throughout the night and you'll be fine . obiviously dont bring a crate of guinness cans in dont want to drink warm guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I've done it and will do it again if necessary. The place was a very expensive top notch hotel where a vodka and coke costs a tenner so I brought two quarter bottles in my jacket pockets and bought the coke at the bar. They still made money from me so I don't see a problem. The couple paid stupid money for their reception, it's not like anyone was being hurt or losing out. As it turned out it was possibly the most disappointing wedding I was ever at, food was crap, service worse and the reception hall was bland and boring so getting drunk on my own vodka helped make it a little more bearable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

Just last week I was in Topman, but instead of getting trousers there I got them from H&M. Who would I have sued had I fallen in Topman? Why Topman of course. So I suppose I'm a major thief, and committed theft there just last week.

Oh wait that's not stealing, it literally contradicts the actual definition of the word 'steal' because I didn't Take another person's property without permission or legal right. Are people who choose not to drink also stealing because they get their kicks naturally rather than purchasing something?

Advertisement