Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangland Crime

Options
  • 06-02-2016 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭

Gardaí believe at least six people were involved in yesterday’s fatal shooting at the Regency Hotel in Dublin.

Earlier, they had said they were looking for four men in relation to the attack at a weigh-in for the now-cancelled WBO European Lightweight title fight between Jamie Kavanagh v Antonio Jao Bento.

David Byrne, from Raleigh Square in Crumlin, was shot and killed in the incident, which happened at 2.30pm yesterday afternoon.

Two other men who were seriously injured are still being treated in hospital. It is believed one of the men was shot in the chest.

All three men were known to gardaí

Three of the six assailants are described as wearing "police-style uniforms similar to a SWAT team uniform, including metal helmets."

They were armed with automatic weapons.

Two other men, one disguised as a woman and wearing an auburn wig, the other a stocky man in a beige cap, carried hand guns in the attack.

Gardaí believe the sixth man remained in the drivers seat of the silver Ford Transit van used in the incident.

The van was found burned out a short time later in the Charlemont Estate in Marino.

Gardaí at Ballymun are appealing for information and are holding a case conference to progress the investigation later this morning.

They suspect the shooting could be related to an ongoing feud between two criminal gangs following the murder of Gary Hutch in Spain last year.

The ‘Clash of the Clans’ boxing event, which was due to take place at the National Stadium tonight, has been cancelled.

One of the boxers, Jamie Kavanagh, said he was "lucky" not to have been hurt in the shooting.

RELATED AUDIO & VIDEO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is there a question in there somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Is there a question in there somewhere?

Discussion point so

Armed crime on the rise in Ireland, we have never seen anything like this, very similar to Paris style terror attack

Availability of resource yesterday and RSU is in dmr is at least going to be November

What is everyone thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Scary how brazen the culprits were given the pictures in todays papers of two guys clearly dressed in botched ERU style gear carrying AK47's. They took a huge chance if being spotted by someone with a bit of cop on given the equipment they were carrying and calling the real police in before the shooting started. I know it all went down fairly quickly but still its way past the normal lone shooter with a pistol with a deriver on a bike or car waiting. It took planning and was executed quite well. There are reports if the two tactically dreased guys running out shouting "he's not in there i cant find him go go go go go" so perhaps the man shot dead was not the intended target. Either way t is crazy hiw something like this can happen literally 500 meters from a garda station in the capitol at an event attended by known criminal gang members and there wasn't si much as a uniform beat patrol present. Serious questions need to be asked about the state of the garda manpower and capabilities given the scale of this latest incident. RSU In dublin can't be depolyed quick enough in my view and in massive numbers one patrol per district rather than a unit of 60 officers, and bring the force strength up to 20000

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

SNAKEDOC wrote: »
    Scary how brazen the culprits were given the pictures in todays papers of two guys clearly dressed in botched ERU style gear carrying AK47's. They took a huge chance if being spotted by someone with a bit of cop on given the equipment they were carrying and calling the real police in before the shooting started. I know it all went down fairly quickly but still its way past the normal lone shooter with a pistol with a deriver on a bike or car waiting. It took planning and was executed quite well. There are reports if the two tactically dreased guys running out shouting "he's not in there i cant find him go go go go go" so perhaps the man shot dead was not the intended target. Either way t is crazy hiw something like this can happen literally 500 meters from a garda station in the capitol at an event attended by known criminal gang members and there wasn't si much as a uniform beat patrol present. Serious questions need to be asked about the state of the garda manpower and capabilities given the scale of this latest incident. RSU In dublin can't be depolyed quick enough in my view and in massive numbers one patrol per district rather than a unit of 60 officers, and bring the force strength up to 20000

Look at this article seem there where looking for more than one but big story is the que of calls waiting to be answered in control at that time

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/rampage-three-999-calls-unanswered-as-gunmen-launched-shooting-spree-34430021.html

RSU should have being setup in 2008 in dmr, leave the eru and sdu to there own job, that includes branch too they have a job to do!

RSU 60 member at start but will have to added to once more recuirtment

We need 18,000 Gardai in Ireland but it's not going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

POGAN wrote: »
    Look at this article seem there where looking for more than one but big story is the que of calls waiting to be answered in control at that time

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/rampage-three-999-calls-unanswered-as-gunmen-launched-shooting-spree-34430021.html

RSU should have being setup in 2008 in dmr, leave the eru and sdu to there own job, that includes branch too they have a job to do!

RSU 60 member at start but will have to added to once more recuirtment

We need 18,000 Gardai in Ireland but it's not going to happen

Who is going to pay for all the gardai?

As a nation we demand an awful lot from the Government, but we are also a nation who hate paying for things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Scary how brazen the culprits were given the pictures in todays papers of two guys clearly dressed in botched ERU style gear carrying AK47's. They took a huge chance if being spotted by someone with a bit of cop on given the equipment they were carrying and calling the real police in before the shooting started. I know it all went down fairly quickly but still its way past the normal lone shooter with a pistol with a deriver on a bike or car waiting. It took planning and was executed quite well. There are reports if the two tactically dreased guys running out shouting "he's not in there i cant find him go go go go go" so perhaps the man shot dead was not the intended target. Either way t is crazy hiw something like this can happen literally 500 meters from a garda station in the capitol at an event

Which Garda station are you talking about?
    Is it the one that Fine Gael closed, Whitehall Garda Station ?

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

I hate the way it always turns into an attack on politicians. SOmebody always has to turn it into a FF/FG thing, or else uses it as an opportunity to vouch for an increase in wage structure.

Lack of resources ? But there is still have plenty of gardai available to hide in bushes with speed guns

Everyone knew the potential with the Kinahan outfit attending this event on a Kavanagh card. That storm is brewing a while and is very well documented.. The dogs on the street know that. It was even reported a few weeks ago in a SUnday red-top that security needed to be beefed up for this event considering the presence of the conflicting gangs.

Lack of resources ? But there is still have plenty of gardai available to hide in bushes with speed guns

No, even the Traffic Corp are badly reduced.

Everyone knew the potential with the Kinahan outfit attending this event on a Kavanagh card. That storm is brewing a while and is very well documented.. The dogs on the street know that. It was even reported a few weeks ago in a SUnday red-top that security needed to be beefed up for this event considering the presence of the conflicting gangs.

I read somewhere, possibly the Irish Times, that the trouble was expected at the actual fight night.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Rebelkid

Looking at the new picture of the two gunmen with handguns fleeing the scene, there is a group of 3 or 4 people with baseball caps which seems to have yellow writing on it. Similar to the ones SDU, ERU, detectives would wear?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

What is up with the fella dressed up as a woman. Surely that would only be attracting attention rather than blending in

Rebelkid wrote: »
    Looking at the new picture of the two gunmen with handguns fleeing the scene, there is a group of 3 or 4 people with baseball caps which seems to have yellow writing on it. Similar to the ones SDU, ERU, detectives would wear?

Do you have a link?

What is up with the fella dressed up as a woman. Surely that would only be attracting attention rather than blending in

Looks like it worked perfectly tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

There must be a concern now among the RSU/ARU that any gang members they target might be more likely to put up a fight for fear that the armed officers surrounding then are in fact rival members of rival gang.

foreign wrote: »
    Do you have a link?
    Won't allow as I'm a new user.

Won't allow as I'm a new user.

Where did you see it?

Where did you see it?

The mirror U.K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Do you have a link?

Those hats do looks very similar and the people seem to be wearing some kind of professional clothing.

Garda resources have been an issue for years now and nothing is really ever done about it. I think it'll take more serious incidents like this to making it happen. Just shows what resources these people have. Won't be long before there's retaliation in some way:eek::eek:

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjene7D8-bKAhXBtBoKHUX0B0IQqQIIITAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mirror.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fworld-news%2Fdublin-hotel-shooting-manhunt-leads-7327346&usg=AFQjCNEwq2Dj438QqK_5XBqjoqxoxxAa9g&sig2=szd7YxafaDvjBUsg1es63A&bvm=bv.113370389,d.ZWU

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭irishrgr

Have to admit, this was a pretty brazen attack at a very public event, could certainly have been a lot worse. Even made the news over here.

Lots of discussion about "we need more Gardaí" as is usual in the wake of such an event. I suggest it's a case of "our Gardaí need more capability as an organization". Money needs to be invested in IT, secrure comms and making the force more efficient as it is. Hiring more officers makes everyone feel better, especially in an election year. Attention should be on civilianizing non LEO positions, technology, intelligence and efficient policing.

Gardaí answering 999 calls on the phone is a complete waste of an officer as are the officers on the gate at the Depot. That is not policing, that is a waste. Contract it out or give it to civvies.

An earlier post made a very salient point, the Irish are very good about asking for more, but not wanting to pay for more.

Rant over, puts soap box away.

Hopefull this will spur a strong investigation and result in a prosecution, especially given the amount of CCTV most likely available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

there wasn't si much as a uniform beat patrol present.

I'd be glad there wasn't a beat patrol as then there would have been Garda killed without a doubt in my mind (not saying there shouldn't have been Garda, if there was intelligence, just not beat Garda). That level of fire power means business, them chaps where there to do some serious killing, my guess would be a group of people who themselves would also be armed, that's why the amount of guns, style of gun and body armor worn.

All that said and done, it's a new low. Shooting the place up in the early afternoon at an event attended by children and people on holidays/trips etc.. Don't get me wrong, there's never really a time or place for this carry on, but considering recent terrorist events.

If also what they say is true regards these chaps flying in, then they would be long gone now.

• Advertisement

The mirror U.K

The two behind the steps? Similar. But the hat is usually worn with the raid jacket that says 'Garda' on the back.

The two behind the steps? Similar. But the hat is usually worn with the raid jacket that says 'Garda' on the back.
    Ya your prob right, I have seen ERU wear them without the jackets tho (malahide incident comes to mind). Good to see ERU out in force overnight on the news, they certainly ain't going to be messed with!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,865 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I read somewhere, possibly the Irish Times, that the trouble was expected at the actual fight night.

That would be true from what I have read also. However I find it somewhat strange that considering this, the weigh in which is an associated very public event also didn't have Gardai present in some capacity also. I mean ok, **** the gangsters who got shot no loss etc but there were many people there working, visiting or there for innocent purposes who could have been caught up in the crossfire no matter how 'professional' people can claim this hit to be and I am sure many people including children certainly would have been very traumatized from what they witnessed.

Also why have newspapers pixelated out the faces of two of the suspects ie. the guy in drag and the lad with the cap ? They are obviously running from the scene with weapons. Also would the Gardai not be publishing the photos also or is it a case of it handled differently...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,284 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not everyone likes Tom Clonan, I know, but is he implying an MP7 is basically useless in these situations?
    The Uzi submachine gun has not been replaced with an effective alternative to allow gardaí to deal with an incident such as the Regency Hotel shooting. Even if armed detectives had arrived on the scene on Friday - they would have lacked the training and firepower to neutralise the threat posed by an armed gang carrying battlefield-standard assault rifles.

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/regency-shooting-2592086-Feb2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Another killing an hour ago... Government is concerned considering armed Gardai have been on the streets all day...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

carzony wrote: »
    Another killing an hour ago... Government is concerned considering armed Gardai have been on the streets all day...

the government is only concerned they wont be able to use the latest victim as a laughable attempt to blame sf in to deflect from there budget cuts in our justice system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

At a boxing weight in the hats are probably club hats.

I don't attend boxing events but we'd have similar club hats, hoodies etc at MMA events.
    Not everyone likes Tom Clonan

Because he's an idiot.. His book 'Blood, Sweat and Tears...' was the most cringe worthy crock of crap ever. Made him a laughing stock. I can't take a word he says seriously after reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

Strumms wrote: »
    That would be true from what I have read also. However I find it somewhat strange that considering this, the weigh in which is an associated very public event also didn't have Gardai present in some capacity also. I mean ok, **** the gangsters who got shot no loss etc but there were many people there working, visiting or there for innocent purposes who could have been caught up in the crossfire no matter how 'professional' people can claim this hit to be and I am sure many people including children certainly would have been very traumatized from what they witnessed.

Also why have newspapers pixelated out the faces of two of the suspects ie. the guy in drag and the lad with the cap ? They are obviously running from the scene with weapons. Also would the Gardai not be publishing the photos also or is it a case of it handled differently...

Im sure the gardai have a fair idea if who was involved and from the pictures can either asertain if they were locals or hired from abroad and if so will have gotten ids from said countries if available. The newspapers didnt publish the unedited pics cus if it were to go to trial here it would cause all sorts of legal problems for the state prosecutors with lawyer touting on about lack of a fair trial bla bla bla

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

How does publishing their faces cause problems for the DPP?
    If this was the case, then RTE wouldn't be able to show CCTV footage of Joe Scobie committing whatever crime so that they can get a member of the public to ID him.

This pair of vermin were literally caught glock-handed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

How does publishing their faces cause problems for the DPP?
    If this was the case, then RTE wouldn't be able to show CCTV footage of Joe Scobie committing whatever crime so that they can get a member of the public to ID him.

This pair of vermin were literally caught glock-handed.

Advertisement