Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrowWoman

emer_b, my little man went the opposite direction -- born at 9th centile and just above the 75th at 8 weeks (he's stayed there since).

It makes sense that if babies can move one direction on the chart then they can move the other. From what you say it sounds like she's perfectly healthy and happy.
    emer_b wrote: »
    Thanks How Strange, yes its the charts for breastfed babies. My baby is quite content, active, getting stronger, more alert and doing plenty of nappies. The problem is she started off in the 50th percentile but slipped to the 9th percentile by 8 weeks. I have been on here about this issue before so I won't bore everyone about it again but I'm getting her weighed again next week (3 month check up) and I'm really hoping she hasn't slipped further. Thats the only reason I was concerned about the long sleeps, but I guess if she was hungry she would be waking.
    However, not getting her weighed every week for the last few weeks (as the nurse wanted me to) has been the best decision I've made. I've just been able to feed her and enjoy her without constantly worrying about the ounces gained!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

emer_b, as the others have said, as long as you are feeding on demand and she's active and alert with wet and dirty nappies you have nothing to worry about.

My younger sister didn't even double her birthweight by her first birthday. She was an active wiry baby, but perfectly healthy. My Mum was very stressed about it, but the Dr at the one year check up said he was sick of seeing babies so fat they couldn't move. My sis is now a very healthy 32 year old with three children of her own.

The great thing about breastfeeding on demand is that you don't have to worry if you are feeding baby enough because your milk is perfectly designed for your baby, and your baby trains your body to produce just as much as she needs.

Well done on ignoring the request for weekly weigh ins. You are the parent, you see your little lady all day every day and you're going to have a much better idea if something is wrong than a PHN who sees her once every few months for a few minutes. Every baby is different and it makes all the "milestone" stuff very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

emer_b I was talking to one mum recently who said her little girl dropped a lot of weight in a similar way. Her paediatrician told her that perhaps she was bigger at birth than she was supposed to be as a combination of being overdue and perhaps the mum putting on too much weight during pregnancy and now she was the size she's supposed to be. She pretty much stayed at that size proportionally all along. At 23 months she's still small in frame but she's the same height as my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

emer_b I was talking to one mum recently who said her little girl dropped a lot of weight in a similar way. Her paediatrician told her that perhaps she was bigger at birth than she was supposed to be as a combination of being overdue and perhaps the mum putting on too much weight during pregnancy and now she was the size she's supposed to be. She pretty much stayed at that size proportionally all along. At 23 months she's still small in frame but she's the same height as my son.
    Finally a medically trained person talking sense,maybe they should go around to the others and enlighten them.Before they scare the crap out of women

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

My boy started at 95 percentile and has slipped continually, at nearly 7 months now he is around 50%. There was one nurse who kept wanting me to bring him up for checking his weight, and I just refused, I just went along with the normal schedule of check ups. My first had a real problem putting on weight and it took a while for her to thrive and I knew he was different, I knew he was thriving, very active, feeding loads. Just followed my instinct that being overdue, he was not meant to be in the 95% (neither me or father are above average size) and that he was just finding his own rythm. The other nurse never even showed any concern about it. I think when baba is a couple months, you know looking at them if they are fairing well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭shelly6

The PHNs can really be too caught up on the weight. When my daughter was a few weeks old she was held by a gp, but as a neighbour and not a gp. She said something along the lines of oh you're breasfeeding, I bet you have been given grief about this healthy baby's weight.

At the three month check, even though she had put on just about the minimum amount of weight she was supposed to, the nurse said that she was between the 25th and 50th centile (Didn't give an exact figure), which is where she was when she was born, so she is doing grand. Same nurse had me so stressed because she was only just about putting on minimum amount of weight earlier on.

Anyways....
    My question. Anyone know how I can encourage her to stay on one breast longer. I have quite a forceful let down, and I think she is used to that, so when the flow slows after a few minutes she gets impatient. I don't think she is getting enough hind milk, because she gives out and will only stop when I switch sides, even though the breast woudn't be empty. Usually for her first and last feed she will stay on the one side and I won't switch her. (First cos I'd be quite full in the mornings, and the last one she is just sleepier and I think more comfort feeding than feeding out of necessity). When she starts giving out I usually try compressing it a bit, or else I take a break and massage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Or you could have what happened to us in the hospital where they wrote her weight down as 3900g instead of 3600g and had us supplementing with formula as she had dropped to 3540 in 2 days... and took a whole fortnight to realise what had happened! My PHN breastfed her 3 kids never took the slightest worry on her weight (after we figured out the whole wrong num thing), but she still weighs her monthly at breastfeeding support group (for me: I worry whole first time Mammy thing going on here!).

Shelly I think I have a fast let down (I'm not really sure but if she pulls off for any reason just as she started feeding milk will spray everywhere and I don't ever leak so I think that what it is), and had the same problem: I spent a very tough 3 days refusing to let her feed from the other side straight away and it solved the problem. I felt awful doing it though but I knew she wasn't hungry if that makes sense because she does most of her feeding at night where it wasn't an issue.

Have a wedding Friday and no milk expressed and no store in the freezer :( she will take formula and she has apple-y oats for breakfast and veg for dinner but I still feel really guilty. I got the vomiting bug last week and my supply went to crap for a few days so had to use up my store and couldn't pump. Hoping I manage to get enough for 2/3 bottles in the next couple of days.

My ds5 was the same lost loads of weight they werent going to let me home.But teh nurse weighed him with his nappy on so he was heavier.I think a lot of times its the fluids aswell they give you in teh hospital.I had gd on my last baby and while i was in labour they pumped me full of fluids.So baby obviously lost a lot more weight than ususal.

I supplemented with formula in hospital but once i got home and got my own phn who knew me she told me to stop the formula after a few days and just bf.

Anyway when i got home i only gave formula before they were due for a visit so hed be heavier i never gave it any other time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Last night Sam was on a boob pretty much constantly from 9pm to 5am. That was after a long feed from 5pm-7.30pm yesterday evening. Then he was awake again at 6.30am for another feed and spent nearly half an hour on each side and he was up again just after 10.30am for more. My boobs feel so tender, his latch is generally fine but at this point my aureoles feel bruised from the constant suckling. He's 5 weeks 2 days, so I'm hoping he is having his 6 week growth spurt early (he was overdue and massive so maybe physically he's 6+ weeks?) because if this is just a preview to an even more insatiable hunger next week I'm cancelling Christmas. ;)

iguana sounds like the 6 week growth spurt to me. That was the toughest one for us. It can go on for a few days so just park yourself on the sofa and watch some Christmas tv.

• Advertisement

Treat yourself to some goodies and some nice breakfasts cause i often had mine at 4 in the morning haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Hi iguana

The 6 week growth spurt is always a toughie but it does pass in a couple of days. My wee man was a big hungry boy too so I felt totally drained at times. Maybe try some lansinoh nipple cream might help your pain. Try and grab some time to relax a nice bath or some Christmas movies and use this an excuse to get out of housework for a couple of days.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Hi all. I'm moving over from the "due dec" board to newborns! My baby boy Miles is 8 days old and we are breast feeding. It's going grand No major problems but I Do worry sometimes about how long he sleeps between feeds during the day, can be up to 4 hours. When i wake him to feed him he falls back again quickly on my boob. He tends to cluster feed on the hour in the evenings between 6 and 10 so with this pattern does get 8/9 feeds a day. Lots of wet and dirty nappys too. Also during the day my boobs get very big which means he finds it harder to latch on.
    Any tips for me or does it all sound ok?

Sounds perfect if you are engorged just lightly express with your hand so baby can latch.Cluster feeding is perfectly natural which is why hes probably sleeping so much.And congrats on your little boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Emcm

Congrats Scrgirl on your baby boy how lovely just in time for Santa.

This all sounds perfect newborns can be quite sleepy in the beginning and they do enjoy cluster feeding in the evening. Once he has lots of dirty and wet nappies that's his body's way of letting you know he is getting enough. As regards your boobs this is also normal to get very full in beginning until your supply settles down to your wee mans demands. If I got very uncomfortable I used to used shower head to ease them the warm water can help expressing by hand.

Enjoy this time they are so gorgeous and snuggly when they are that age and I can hardly believe my wee man is 7 months tomorrow!
    Time flies !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Congrats scrgirl!

Sounds perfectly normal. Maybe hand express a wee bit before popping him on to make it easier on him. Your body will settle after a wee while. I never woke mine to feed them; I reckoned they'd wake when they were hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Agree with the others - try expressing a little first! We used to wake our little one every 2&1/2-3 hrs during day and not wake her at night - this was only because we were advised to by the midwives because her weight dropped a but much and she was only 6lbs 5 to start. It really is a hazey bubble at that stage - I can barely remember the first 3 months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭0ctober

I think I have mastitis :( been awake since 2 with pain and swelling on one side, nausea and flu like symptoms. I'm heading straight to the doctor first thing in the morning. Just wondering does anyone have any advice on helping to get over it? Not looking for medical advice, just personal experience. Absolutely exhausted, H is teething so she's not sleeping well lately. She only went down at 12.30 and then I've been awake since 2 with this. Lovely, just in time for xmas! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

0ctober wrote: »
    I think I have mastitis :( been awake since 2 with pain and swelling on one side, nausea and flu like symptoms. I'm heading straight to the doctor first thing in the morning. Just wondering does anyone have any advice on helping to get over it? Not looking for medical advice, just personal experience. Absolutely exhausted, H is teething so she's not sleeping well lately. She only went down at 12.30 and then I've been awake since 2 with this. Lovely, just in time for xmas! :(

Rest, (like proper you and baby in bed for the day), paracetamol, vitamin C, and feed, feed, feed. If there are lumps, massage them as baby is feeding to help clear them, and do the same if you're having a shower or bath.
    I haven't had it but from what people have told me it hits you hard, but you can shift it quickly.
    There's hse fact sheets as well on treatment etc.
    Hope you're better soon!

Doctor confirmed it, on an antibiotic now. Thanks for that liliq, I must give some of your suggestions a try. I'm a divil for getting rest, always trying to do too much. I think I've kind of run myself into the ground, I'm feeling quite run down. A few days in bed with a box set should set me right!

• Advertisement

+1 to what liliq said. Frequent feeding, lots of rest and massage any lumps towards the nipple.

Did your gp give you a prescription for 10 days? If so great but if not you'll need him/her to amend the prescription as it takes a course of antibiotics over 10 days to clear the infection. Anything less and it could reoccur.

Also take a good probiotic to counterbalance the antib.

She only gave me a 5 day one and said come back if it hasn't cleared properly. 5 days will bring me up to xmas eve when she won't be open....f*ck it. I'll have to ring her. I was in so much pain I didnt think to ask how I would know it it hasn't cleared fully. Surely the symptoms might go but the infection might not necessarily be gone fully?

She only gave me a 5 day one and said come back if it hasn't cleared properly. 5 days will bring me up to xmas eve when she won't be open....f*ck it. I'll have to ring her. I was in so much pain I didnt think to ask how I would know it it hasn't cleared fully. Surely the symptoms might go but the infection might not necessarily be gone fully?

Here is the fact sheet issued by the hse on mastitis. It outlines which antibiotics are suitable and how long they should be taken for.
    If i was in your position I would call and ask for the prescription to be extended. You could refer to the hse fact sheet if she says 5 days is enough.

http://www.breastfeeding.ie/uploads/files/factsheet04.pdf

Thanks for that liliq, my OH is bringing H for her 4 month vaccine this evening so he's going to ask her.

Thanks for that liliq, my OH is bringing H for her 4 month vaccine this evening so he's going to ask her.

Hope you're better soon

Surely the symptoms might go but the infection might not necessarily be gone fully?
    That's exactly it. The symptoms of mastitis should clear in 2-3 days but you'll still have the infection. A doctor in the Coombe prescribed 7 days for me and it was only that I rang one of the lactation consultants about something and she asked about how many days were prescribed.

Hopefully you feel better soon. Lots and lots of rest, treat it like any other illness and get into bed for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Following on from my earlier post my LO at 11 days old, began refusing my Breast completely, had to feed him expressed milk through a syringe and have long struggles to attach for 24 hrs. We were all wrecked and stressed. Ivwas advised to get breast shields by phn. So they worked a treat! Although not ideal it's better than the bottle. It's supposed to be a temporary solution and I will wean him off them and back to my nipple when he learns to trust my breast again ! Just wondering how long this process can take? Anyone else have experience of shields?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm logging on in a bittersweet mood today as I dropped the last night feed last night, so missus had no boob yesterday. Have 3 bottles left of my stash to use and it's bye bye breastmilk. I've fed her for longer than her big brother, but introduced a bottle of formula sooner and I don't remember feeling like this with him. Back to work tomorrow, so won't be on Boards all day :(

Keep up the good work all the rest of ye, it really is a great thing to do for your baby, but sssshhhh...don't tell anyone!!!

I know i felt the same after deciding to stop feeding my last baby.It was 2 months ago i stopped he was 16 months old and i felt it was the right time.I really miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

scrgirl wrote: »
    Following on from my earlier post my LO at 11 days old, began refusing my Breast completely, had to feed him expressed milk through a syringe and have long struggles to attach for 24 hrs. We were all wrecked and stressed. Ivwas advised to get breast shields by phn. So they worked a treat! Although not ideal it's better than the bottle. It's supposed to be a temporary solution and I will wean him off them and back to my nipple when he learns to trust my breast again ! Just wondering how long this process can take? Anyone else have experience of
    shields?

I used them for the first couple of wks until my supply settled. Milk was coming too fast so baby was choking/gagging, the shields helped to slow it down for him. I stopped using them after a few wks, baby is 7 wks now & I don't remember when I used one last. I had no problem dropping them, I just stopped over 3-4 days to allow my nipples time to toughen up gradually. Baby didn't seem to mind once the flow had slowed down.

Advertisement