Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US President earns roughly 300k euro a year

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

tell ya what, he can keep the fooken money if him and mary go on a diet, the state of them,

country is being run by a pair of walruses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Something called the Review Body on Higher Remuneration is currently looking to reduce ministers, top civil servants and I assume the Presidents salaries to those of similiar sized european countries.

But since this shower, just over a year ago, recommended a large pay increase for the above - I won't be holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Something called the Review Body on Higher Remuneration is currently looking to reduce ministers, top civil servants and I assume the Presidents salaries to those of similiar sized european countries.

But since this shower, just over a year ago, recommended a large pay increase for the above - I won't be holding my breath.

Can't wait for this. That will mean at least a 50% pay cut.

Here, i did the work for them http://www.vn.fi/tietoa-valtioneuvostosta/perustietoa/en.jsp

Finland with a similar population - Finnish Prime Minster earns about 130k.

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

However much the Taoiseach earns, i think the President should earn much less and she should take a further pay cut.
    She does nothing!
    Has anyone even asked her about the recession? No. Because she is not the leader.
    Cowen is. We should abolish the presidency and make whoever is taoiseach both!
    It would save the country hundreds of thousands of euro:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

not that i think he should get more, but the reason the taoiseach gets more, AFAIR, is that he has to pay for most things himself

the us president lives in the white house, and has camp david as a retreat. in both there are kitchens and meals are prepared etc etc

the PM gets 10 downing street, the french PM gets Élysée Palace and so on

the irish taoiseach doesnt get any state house, so i think thats the reason, rightly or wrongly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

stainluss wrote: »
    However much the Taoiseach earns, i think the President should earn much less and she should take a further pay cut.
    She does nothing!
    Has anyone even asked her about the recession? No. Because she is not the leader.
    Cowen is. We should abolish the presidency and make whoever is taoiseach both!
    It would save the country hundreds of thousands of euro:)

Who protects us from FF passing unconstitutional laws so?
    event wrote: »
    not that i think he should get more, but the reason the taoiseach gets more, AFAIR, is that he has to pay for most things himself

the us president lives in the white house, and has camp david as a retreat. in both there are kitchens and meals are prepared etc etc

the irish taoiseach doesnt get any state house, so i think thats the reason, rightly or wrongly

Does the leader of singapore have to live in a tent? :D

Obviously never heard of Farmleigh House, Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

stainluss wrote: »
    no, its a well known fact Irelands taoiseach earns more than the US president!

Wrong.

Cowen earns €257000, Obama earns $400000

Which means Cowen earns ~$65000 less a year than Obama (using xe.com's current exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.30372 USD)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

Teacher strike this summer! Schools Closed! oh wait... thanks for that link terry hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

This is exactly what I'm working on at the moment. I'm collecting data on the salary of each leader for every country since about 1960. It's nearly impossible to find data for a lot of them.
    The point to bear in mind when looking at a prime minister/president salary is that in most countries the leader in question could earn far more working in the private sector. This is why Singapore pays its politicians so much - in order to attract the best people to the job and to combat corruption.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Obama gets peanuts in compensation. US executives get millions for failing! See example:

"When Michael Ovitz was hired as Disney's president in 1995, his contract included a $130 million severance package should he be fired without cause after a year. Well, he was — and the $130 million went with him."

Source: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1848501_1848500_1848487,00.html

ceegee wrote: »
    Wrong.

Cowen earns €257000, Obama earns $400000

Which means Cowen earns ~$65000 less a year than Obama (using xe.com's current exchange rate of 1 EUR = 1.30372 USD)

He was right last year :)

Cowen used to earn 274k before the pay cut and the exchange rate at 1 EUR =1.5/1.6 made it possible to earn over $400k.

Now, all it needs for that exchange rate to go up to 1.57 on 254k and the poster will be right again:)

God help if Obama took a paycut, Cowen would be seriously p1ssed off:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

This is why Singapore pays its politicians so much - in order to attract the best people to the job and to combat corruption.

Since we have some of the highest paid politicians in the OECD, it hasn't exactly worked out that way here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

gurramok wrote: »
    He was right last year :)

Cowen used to earn 274k before the pay cut and the exchange rate at 1 EUR =1.5/1.6 made it possible to earn over $400k.

Now, all it needs for that exchange rate to go up to 1.57 on 254k and the poster will be right again:)

God help if Obama took a paycut, Cowen would be seriously p1ssed off:D

Yeah well im right this year :D.

To be honest it doesnt really matter which of their salaries is worth more at any one point in time, their salaries relative to their nations average wage and cost of living is a better indicator of who is better compensated, remember Brian has to pay more for his ralph lauren tighty whiteys than Barack does :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The US President earns it,
    Our Gob****es get more without actually earning it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

event wrote:
    Are you sure he can't live there ?

http://www.taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?locID=184&docID=-1
    The job was completed within budget in December 1990 at a total cost of £17.4 million. The formal opening was performed by the then Taoiseach, Mr. Charles J. Haughey, on 24th January, 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Are you sure he can't live there ?

Leeds?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Obama gets peanuts in compensation. US executives get millions for failing! See example:

"When Michael Ovitz was hired as Disney's president in 1995, his contract included a $130 million severance package should he be fired without cause after a year. Well, he was — and the $130 million went with him."

Source: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1848501_1848500_1848487,00.html
    One of Howard Hughes tricks was to not pay employees promised bonuses when they were let go. The employee would have to take him to court to get the bonus. But while the bonus was taxable the money won in court wasn't. The whole thing was a tax avoidance scheme.

oh yeah it was only $38m http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ovitz
    Sixteen months after taking office, he was dismissed by Disney's board of directors and received $38 million in cash and $100 million in stock as a severance package.[1] Later court proceedings reflect that Ovitz' stock options were granted when he was hired to induce him to join The Walt Disney Company, not granted when he was fired,

Our politicians defo do not deserve the money they are on since they are trying to tackle the recession by just repeating the failed tactics of the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭dimejinky99

Cowen gets more than Obama, and more than any other european leader, which is ****in scary if ye consider the Italians are sposed to be way more corrupt than our shower of gobdaws..it's completely sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

[QUOTE=petethebrick;59871971
    The point to bear in mind when looking at a prime minister/president salary is that in most countries the leader in question could earn far more working in the private sector. This is why Singapore pays its politicians so much - in order to attract the best people to the job and to combat corruption.[/QUOTE]

I think the evidence supports the opposite - Ireland has some of the best paid politicians in Europe yet they can't even do their homework to ensure that they can carryout the policies they announce in their budgets and have to have two budgets because they can get their maths right. At least most of the other comparitively poorly paid politicians in Europe seem to have spotted the seriousness of the current financial situation whilst the Irish leaders were still telling us that we were being talked into a recession. (Gordon Brown warned the British public that things were going to get bad around Oct 2007)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Fluffybums wrote: »
    I think the evidence supports the opposite - Ireland has some of the best paid politicians in Europe yet they can't even do their homework to ensure that they can carryout the policies they announce in their budgets and have to have two budgets because they can get their maths right. At least most of the other comparitively poorly paid politicians in Europe seem to have spotted the seriousness of the current financial situation whilst the Irish leaders were still telling us that we were being talked into a recession. (Gordon Brown warned the British public that things were going to get bad around Oct 2007)

I was pointing out the perceived logic in the payment of large salaries to political leaders - I didn't say it worked :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

Bolivia President Evo Morales $21,600
    Great Britain Prime Minister Gordon Brown $375,222
    France President Nicolas Sarkozy $346,000
    Germany Chancellor Angela Merkel $318,000
    Ireland Prime Minister Bertie Ahern $434,000
    Japan Prime Minister Shinzo Abe $248,500
    Russia President Vladimir Putin $81,000
    Singapore Premier Lee Hsien Loong $2.05 million
    United States President George W. Bush $400,000
    United States Vice President Dick Cheney $208,575

From here: http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/104029/Top-Earning-World-Leaders

Slightly out of date I know but intersting
    Interesting the consistency between some contries. Sucks to be Putin/Medvedev though, although I'm sure they make LOTS on the side.

Bertie (and I assume Brian Cowen as well) getting paid so much compared to the rest is a tough pill to swallow. Obviously they're not paid with respect to their merits or results. We should have a Taoiseach appreciation referendum every year to decide whether he deserves his pay or ask him for a refund of half of it.

And yeah, what does the Irish president do anyways?
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    Who protects us from FF passing unconstitutional laws so?
    It's the president's job to prevent the government from passing unconstitutional laws? For real?? Sounds like a conflict of interest. In France there's a constitutional council for that, they approve the constitutionality of law projects before they can be made into laws. Works quite well if you ask me.
    One of Howard Hughes tricks was to not pay employees promised bonuses when they were let go. The employee would have to take him to court to get the bonus. But while the bonus was taxable the money won in court wasn't. The whole thing was a tax avoidance scheme.
    Lol, that's genius! :D

And yes, paying politicians well is supposed to keep them away from corruption, but you can throw as much money as you like to Cowen, no amount will turn him into a competent leader.

not copping on that the pension levy was tax deductable was a school boy howler

the budget contained little imaginative

But you have to admire the genius of handing the banks €90 bn and getting away with it. Or we are sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭RoundTower

event wrote: »

He gets a new car every year and a garda chauffeur, etc, for his personal use, not just for going to state functions. Plus occasional use of a helicopter -- I'd say he gets 100k+ in benefit in kind, and doesn't pay tax on it.

Advertisement