Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GK selection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Ye i dont like tospend big on a keeper but with courtois its only .8 more than forster now so looking at the fixtures its good value. However I went terry because of the attacking returns you mentioned(he shouldve scored yesterday). Courtois and yun 9.9 or green and terry 10.8 could be another way of looking at it. That way you dont have to play your qpr def every week.

Have been thinking this exactly.

Given the money that getting Austin would free up, and the wee bit extra team value I've built up, I'm seriously considering getting both Hart and Terry in for xmas. City have nearly the best Xmas fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Lemlin wrote: »
    I reckon I'll be selling. Only 4.5 mil for Krul so can bank 0.7.

Edit: think I'll go with Green instead.
    I had planned to go with Krul but, now that I've looked at fixtures and read this post, Green is looking more appealing.

Krul:
    West Ham away
    Burnley away
    Chelsea home
    Arsenal away
    Sunderland home
    Man United away
    Everton home
    Burnley home
    Chelsea away
    Saints home

Green:
    Leicester home
    Swansea away
    Burnley home
    Everton away
    West Brom home
    Arsenal away
    Palace home
    Swansea home
    Burnley away
    Man United home

The only thing is Green away form has been dire this year. It does seem to get better though (he got 3 pts 3 times out of his 4 last away games which include Chelsea and Saints) thanks to his ability to get pts from saves...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

iroced wrote: »
    The only thing is Green away form has been dire this year. It does seem to get better though (he got 3 pts 3 times out of his 4 last away games which include Chelsea and Saints) thanks to his ability to get pts from saves...

In his next ten, he only has four away though and one of those is Burnley. My worry about going with a 'keeper like Courtois is that Cech will be given a game over Xmas.

In his next ten, he only has four away though and one of those is Burnley. My worry about going with a 'keeper like Courtois is that Cech will be given a game over Xmas.
    Yeah good point.

And I repeat he got 3 pts away thrice out of his last 4 (which include Chelsea and Saints). So he's getting better.

Yeah good point.

And I repeat he got 3 pts away thrice out of his last 4 (which include Chelsea and Saints). So he's getting better.

As are QPR. Yes, they have some terrible players who are overpaid but I do rate Redknapp as a manager.

• Advertisement

Moving this back to the right thread.....
    FHFC wrote: »
    Any reason you excluding Fabianski/SSwansea in that 123? His fixtures looking pretty good too me. I know they have 3 of 4 away over the xmas double headers but the aways include Hull and QPR. Spurs (h) and Pool (a) are their toughest games on paper on the next 9.
    Yeah that's because of this 3 away out of 4 during Christmas. I'd put Fabianski just behind the ones I cited. Think I can remove Hull though. We actually only have partial stats for them (since they used their 3 GKs) and McGregor pts are distorted by his GW1 14 pts. Also their fixtures are pretty good for Christmas but not ideal before.

But yeah Fabianski could be a decent option. And to get 3 pts at the Etihad just proves it ;).

Just to further this, on your original list my less statistical, more gut approach to the options would be....
    1. Man City, QPR and AV with favourable runs......
      Hart I reckon the best if you have the cash, may get him in from GW16 yet.
      QPR defending still a bit ropey but Green value at the price and could work out well.
      Villa looking tighter at the back tonight but not reliable. I've Hutton so not for me.
    2. Hull with a good one....
      No faith in them whatsoever for clean sheets. Bad run on buildup to Xmas.
    3. CP, WB, Newcastle & Everton with decent ones.
      CP..not much faith in Palace or Everton for clean sheets. Newcastle a good option, but I have Dummet.

So IMO I'd put Fabianski on form and fixtures second only to Hart, and ahead of Krul or Green but taking the price into it just behind or level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Will Sandros injury change people opinion of getting in green, he is very important to their defensive set up.

AdpRo wrote: »
    Will Sandros injury change people opinion of getting in green, he is very important to their defensive set up.

Is he out for long? Was jjust thinking watching MOTD that he was a big part of them tightening up.

Also, when Rio comes back will he get back in there destabilising the whole show again? ?

Is he out for long? Was jjust thinking watching MOTD that he was a big part of them tightening up.

Also, when Rio comes back will he get back in there destabilising the whole show again? ?

Out until after Christmas according to Ben Dinnery on twitter. Definitely has me thinking twice about Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

AdpRo wrote: »

From what I've read Sandro has been a bit of a weak link. 'A shadow of his former self' I read somewhere. Not stopping me getting in some QPR defensive cover anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,329 ✭✭✭✭8-10

manual_man wrote: »
    From what I've read Sandro has been a bit of a weak link. 'A shadow of his former self' I read somewhere. Not stopping me getting in some QPR defensive cover anyway

Was never that great to start with tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

8-10 wrote: »
    Was never that great to start with tbh

Effective is the word I'd use. But Spurs did great business what was it they got for him £10M

Good to hear. From watching the highlights he seemed to be mopping up a good bit in front of the defence.

Just a note on Krul.

He's currently on 46 pts. You can actually break his 46 pts in two groups of 23 pts. First one was achieved in the first 9 GWs. Second during the last 3 :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

Just a note on Krul.

He's currently on 46 pts. You can actually break his 46 pts in two groups of 23 pts. First one was achieved in the first 9 GWs. Second during the last 3 :eek:.

I had him from the start, based my team name on him and then bloody sold him before this hot streak. I got Mannone in the wildcard and he gets dropped. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I have Forster & Mannone at the moment. I could do with sorting that out.

I think getting Baines can wait

I was hoping to hold onto my 2nd FT this week but I think I need to use it

Dempsey wrote: »
    I have Forster & Mannone at the moment. I could do with sorting that out.

I think getting Baines can wait

I was hoping to hold onto my 2nd FT this week but I think I need to use it

Getting Baines can wait. He only has a "small chance" of even playing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Getting Baines can wait. He only has a "small chance" of even playing this weekend.

Wasnt even thinking of this weekend but yea, i'll wait until he's back playing 90 mins before looking to work him in

The options are to cash in on Forster for Krul or sell Mannone for Krul to have 2 GK options...

For anyone interested in building a cheap association of rotating keepers I found this useful link https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Gn280a6EMMxCvIQ5own-B4Zd4H_EsYudliY2HpXLVnM/edit?pli=1#gid=0 :cool:.

Didn't find the second part of the season fixtures but didn't spend much time on it to be honest.

Well here I go again with my GK stats analysis.

I "only" did it for 15 GKs (Forster, De Gea, Lloris, Guzan, Fabianski, Heaton, Hart, Courtois, Speroni, Green, Foster, Adrián, Begovic, Pantilimon & McGregor). I felt the other ones were either never cited and considered (Szczesny, Mignolet, Howard) or currently injured (Krul, Schmeichel).

I wanted to post it earlier in the week so that the WCers could take food for thoughts from it but time caught me up... Anyway I'll now just post a few comments so that the major trends (I see) are outlined ;).

Table 1: Total Points - home/away
    GK | played | home pts ||| GK | played | away pts
    Forster | 11 | 52 ||| Guzan | 10 | 40
    Heaton | 10 | 49 ||| Foster | 10 | 39
    Lloris | 11 | 47 ||| Pantilimon | 6 | 37
    De Gea | 10 | 46 ||| Hart | 9 | 35
    Green | 10 | 45 ||| De Gea | 10 | 34
    Adrián | 11 | 43 ||| Courtois | 11 | 33
    Fabianski | 9 | 42 ||| Fabianski | 10 | 33
    Hart | 9 | 37 ||| Speroni | 10.6 | 32
    Guzan | 10 | 35 ||| Lloris | 9 | 30
    Courtois | 7.3 | 35 ||| Forster | 9 | 29
    Speroni | 9 | 34 | | | Begovic | 10 | 29
    McGregor | 8 | 32 | | | McGregor | 7 | 24
    Begovic | 10 | 30 | | | Heaton | 10 | 24
    | | | | | Green | 9 | 21
    Foster |9 | 23 | | | Adrián | 9 | 19
    Pantilimon | 5 | 19 | | |

If you plan on rotating, beware that Guzan, Foster & Panti pick (much) more pts away than home!

Table 2: Points per game - home/away
    GK | home ppg ||| GK | away ppg
    Heaton | 4.9 ||| Pantilimon | 6.17
    Courtois | 4.79 ||| Guzan | 4
    Forster | 4.73 ||| Foster | 3.9
    Fabianski | 4.67 ||| Hart | 3.89
    De Gea | 4.6 ||| McGregor | 3.43
    Green | 4.5 ||| De Gea | 3.4
    Lloris | 4.27 ||| Lloris | 3.33
    Hart | 4.11 ||| Fabianski | 3.3
    McGregor| 4 ||| Forster | 3.22
    Adrián | 3.91 ||| Speroni | 3.02
    Pantilimon | 3.8 | | | Courtois | 3
    Speroni | 3.78 | | | Begovic | 2.9
    Guzan | 3.5 | | | Heaton | 2.4
    Begovic | 3 | | | Green | 2.33
    Foster | 2.56 | | | Adrián | 2.11

As crazy as it sounds, Heaton is the best keeper at home :eek: !!!
    Pantilimon has the best overall ppg ratio with an insane away record :eek: !!!

Foster home record is worrying ahead of the WC. Can Pullis improve this figure? Guzan sounds like a much better pick for a similar price.

For Green & Heaton it's the opposite. Away record is a concern... Green perfect pairing is Courtois so we can forget about it. Speroni offers a 34 GWs perfect rotation but not sure is worth it. Heaton perfect rotator is McGregor. For £9.4m they're probably the best pairing in the game (though McGregor away form could mean a few big pts on the bench). Burnley offers a 30 GWs perfect rotation with both Villa & Stoke. But I don't think these ones are good (Guzan gets too many pts away & Begovic is too low average overall).

Table 3: Total Pts gained from CS, Pts from saves, BP & saved pen - home rankings
    Goalkeepers | played | TPG| || CS | PfS | BP | SP
    Heaton | 10 | 32 || | 4 | 7 | 4 | 1
    Forster | 11 | 32 || | 7 | 4 | 0 | 0
    Green | 10 | 30 | || 4 | 9 | 5 | 0
    Lloris | 11 | 29 || | 4 | 8 | 5 | 0
    De Gea | 10 | 27 || | 4 | 6 | 0 | 1
    Courtois | 7.3 | 25 | || 6 | 1 | 0 | 0
    Fabianski | 9 | 25 | || 5 | 5 | 0 | 0
    Adrián | 11 | 24 || | 4 | 8 | 0 | 0
    McGregor | 8 | 20 | || 2 | 4 | 3 | 1
    Hart | 9 | 20 || | 3 | 3 | 0 | 1
    Guzan | 10 | 20 | || 3 | 8 | 0 | 0
    | | | | | | | |
    Speroni | 9 | 17 | | | 2 | 4 | 0 |1
    Pantilimon | 5 | 16 | | | 2 | 6 | 2 | 0
    Begovic | 10 | 14 | | | 2 | 4 | 2 | 0
    Foster | 9 | 11 | | | 2 | 3 | 0 | 0

If you envisage cheap GKs, Foster's home record is again worrying. Heaton & Green are the cheap stars here.

For the big guns it's about even. Courtois showing the best stats but when he's rotated you're unlikely to have a second playing keeper considering the cash he's hoovering by himself.

Table 4: Total Pts gained from CS, Pts from saves, BP & saved pen - away rankings
    Goalkeepers | played | TPG| || CS | PfS | BP | SP
    Foster | 10 | 25 || | 4 | 6 | 3 | 0
    Pantilimon | 6 | 23 || | 3 | 7 | 4 | 0
    Fabianski | 10 | 23 || | 3 | 10 | 1 | 0
    Guzan | 10 | 23 | || 4 | 6 | 1 | 0
    Hart | 9 | 21 | || 4 | 4 | 1 | 0
    De Gea | 10 | 17 || | 2 | 7 | 2 | 0
    Speroni | 10.6 | 17 | || 3 | 5 | 0 | 0
    Lloris | 9 | 16 | || 1 | 6 | 1 | 1
    Courtois | 11 | 16 | || 2 | 8 | 0 | 0
    McGregor | 7 | 14 | || 1 | 3 | 2 | 1
    Green | 9 | 13 | || 0 | 8 | 0 | 1
    Begovic | 9 | 13 | || 2 | 4 | 1 | 0
    Heaton | 10 | 13 | || 1 | 9 | 0 | 0
    Forster | 9 | 12 | || 2 | 4 | 0 | 0
    | | | | | | | |
    Adrián | 9 | 7 || | 0 | 7 | 0 | 0

Again, Foster, Panti & Guzan away record are impressive.

By coupling home and away tables Fabianski shows pretty consistent stats. He could be a good pick for the remainder of the season. Though if you want to go cheap, Guzan & Panti are the best candidates.

Table 5: Total Pts loss from goals conceded, YC & RC - home rankings
    Goalkeepers | played | TPL | || -1 | -2 | YC | RC
    De Gea | 10 | 1 | || 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Hart | 9 | 1 || | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Fabianski | 9 | 1 || | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Courtois | 7.3 | 1 || | 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Forster | 11 | 2 || | 2 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Adrián | 11 | 3 || | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0
    Heaton | 10 | 3 || | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Pantilimon | 5 | 3 | || 1 | 1 | 0 | 0
    Lloris | 11 | 4 || | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Begovic | 10 | 4 | | | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Speroni | 9 | 4 | | | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Foster | 9 | 4 | | | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
    McGregor | 8 | 4 | || 2 | 1 | 0 | 0
    Guzan | 10 | 5 | || 3 | 0 | 2 | 0
    Green | 9 | 5 | || 4 | 0 | 1 | 0

This is (of course) to be coupled with Tables 4 & 1.

What's interesting is e.g. Green. Despite being bottom here, the amount of saves he makes (Table 4) put him in the top5 on the overall table (Table 1). With him, don't panick when he concedes, he should get you some save pts to compensate.

Forster is an interesting one too. Opposite to Green. He doesn't lose much pts from goals conceded but doesn't gain enough from his saves. He's only relying on his CS.

Table 6: Total Pts loss from goals conceded, YC & RC - away rankings
    Goalkeepers | played | TPL | || -1 | -2 | YC | RC
    Forster | 9 | 1 | || 1 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Pantilimon | 6 | 2 || | 1 | 0 | 1 | 0
    Foster | 10 | 3 || | 2 | 0 | 1 | 0
    De Gea | 10 | 3 || | 1 | 1 | 0 | 0
    Guzan | 10 | 3 | || 3 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Hart | 9 | 4 | || 3 | 0 | 1 | 0
    Lloris | 9 | 4 | || 2 | 1 | 0 | 0
    Begovic | 9 | 4| || 3 | 0 | 1 | 0
    McGregor | 7 | 4 | || 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
    Courtois | 11 | 5 | || 2 | 1 | 1 | 0
    Adrián | 9 | 6 || | 5 | 0 | 1 | 0
    Speroni | 10.6 | 7 | || 6 | 0 | 1 | 0
    Heaton | 10 | 7 | || 4 | 1 | 1 | 0
    Fabianski | 10 | 10 || | 3 | 2 | 0 | 1
    Green | 9 | 10 | || 6 | 2 | 0 | 0

Ditto Table 5.

Shows again Panti, Foster & Guzan amazing away records.
    We see the limits of Green here. Away his saves can't make up enough for the amount he concedes.

---

To conclude, it's all about finding the best compromise for a price that suits your team.

I haven't taken enough time yet to digest all that but from a first look, I'm going to reconsider Panti & Guzan. I was almost set on Foster but may spend some extra £0.1m to get the Villa or Sunderland combo instead of the WB's one. I can't wait to see if Pullis makes a significant impact there though WC is coming too soon to really see that I suppose (even If I play it for GW23).

• Advertisement

Great stuff again iroced.

I'm ruling out Panti/Guzan simply because I have Hutton since 4.0 and PVA is 4.2. Same rotation nearly 1m cheaper.

I'm planning a Foster only strategy and your analysis doesn't put me off. His away returns are excellent and Pulis will, for certain, tighten them up at home.

Great stuff again iroced.

I'm ruling out Panti/Guzan simply because I have Hutton since 4.0 and PVA is 4.2. Same rotation nearly 1m cheaper.

I'm planning a Foster only strategy and your analysis doesn't put me off. His away returns are excellent and Pulis will, for certain, tighten them up at home.

I agree re excellent analysis but the one problem I'd have (and you've highlighted it re Pulis) is that a number of teams now have new managers who will be changing tactics - Palace, Newcastle and WBA.

Therefore those team's stats for the end of the season could be totally opposite to what they were for the first half.

I've said I often play this game based on managers and there's no denying they have a huge impact.

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery/status/553828740049154048/photo/1

B6-YS2BCcAAd5IU.jpg

I still may end up with Foster Myhill in goal :D...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭G1032

https://twitter.com/BenDinnery/status/553828740049154048/photo/1

B6-YS2BCcAAd5IU.jpg

I still may end up with Foster Myhill in goal :D...
    I've more or less decided to go with Foster in goal. Makes no sense now that I realise Myhill is just 4m to keep Hamer over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

Sticking with De Gea for another while

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sneachtafear

But will keep a close eye on the arsenal goalkeeping situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭evancmurphy00

Just brought in Panti and Heaton with the wildcard.

Not sure if i want the headache of rotating keepers, Foster and Myhill may be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

So what are people doing in WC??
    Two best options to me look like
    Forster and a cheapie ( Hamer)
    Or
    Foster and Panti

Do Foster and Panti rotate well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I'm just going foster and myhill. Not a tactic I have ever used before but I just don't see much value in doing anything else. A rotating keeping is going to add enough points potential to justify the additional 0.5 when I can spend that on a player that will be playing.

Advertisement