Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inter-Club League 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Looked like a tough race, I was happy enough to be marshalling instead!

Drivers were very considerate last night, I've rarely had any issues while marshalling as most drivers are usually very obliging, but last night was particularly pleasant as almost all of the drivers were very quick with a smile and a wave after I thanked them for stopping and waved them through. One driver coming from a side road held well back from the junction before I even saw him (I was signalling traffic on the man road at the time, so he could have simply pulled out before I'd noticed him), sitting there patiently and only moving on when I remembered to wave him on. Even the one driver who insisted on stopping his van far closer to me than he needed to did nothing more than adopt a slightly sulky face as he sat there. All in all it was a very easy marshalling stint, and further proof that running bikes races on public roads can be entirely safe, and even friendly. *driver+cyclist group hug* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Round 6 tonight and back up to Brittas for a DMS.

Semi Limit was pretty tactical for the first couple of laps - a couple of people launched attacks but then just sat 50m or so off the front and then others jumped across bring the rest of the pack with them. I had a little go on the 2nd lap and 2 of us got clear but we didn't get away for long before another Lucan rider dragged the group up with him.

I'd already said to daragh_ that I was going to have a go on the last lap and after the descent to Manor Kilbride and the sharp left I decided to make my move. There were 2 other Lucan just off the front and I thought if I bridged and went straight to the front they would jump on my wheel and we could have a little group working together - I think I went a bit too hard though as I dropped them both pretty quick, I pushed on and managed to get about 150m lead and held it for about 7km - I kept glancing back expecting someone to be on my wheel but I ended up on my own before I was caught on the finishing hill and swamped. Finished in the middle of the bunch.

Good workout and felt good throughout. Next week is the TT which should be my strong point. I can't really turn up on a TT bike with a point helmet and come last - need to be able to back it up next week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Round 6 tonight and back up to Brittas for a DMS.

Semi Limit was pretty tactical for the first couple of laps - a couple of people launched attacks but then just sat 50m or so off the front and then others jumped across bring the rest of the pack with them. I had a little go on the 2nd lap and 2 of us got clear but we didn't get away for long before another Lucan rider dragged the group up with him.

I'd already said to daragh_ that I was going to have a go on the last lap and after the descent to Manor Kilbride and the sharp left I decided to make my move. There were 2 other Lucan just off the front and I thought if I bridged and went straight to the front they would jump on my wheel and we could have a little group working together - I think I went a bit too hard though as I dropped them both pretty quick, I pushed on and managed to get about 150m lead and held it for about 7km - I kept glancing back expecting someone to be on my wheel but I ended up on my own before I was caught on the finishing hill and swamped. Finished in the middle of the bunch.

Good workout and felt good throughout. Next week is the TT which should be my strong point. I can't really turn up on a TT bike with a point helmet and come last - need to be able to back it up next week :)

Limit was a good race as well last night, 'real' racing feel to it. People going off the front, some being joined by others, some not. Good chasing, blocking, marking and then a good up hill sprint just to finish everyone off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

I was in semi-limit.

There were a couple of pops off the front, myself, couerdelion and somebody else went up the road on the first lap but got caught at the bridge. I thought we had the makings of something but it was much too early and I probably imagined that we had a gap.

After that I sat in or around the front and covered anything that looked like it would stick. I had one or two club mates with me who had very fresh legs so it wasn’t too hard.

Chatting to couerdelion I had a vague notion of attacking on the last lap, but as noted the race was fairly tactical and in the end I didn’t have the legs to follow him out. I didn’t want to bridge as I reckoned I would destroy myself getting across, just in time to get swallowed up at the end.

Couple of Lucan guys and one IRC rider cranked it all up at the end so I jumped in for the final drag. I was on the limit towards the end when one of my club mates came around me and lit everything at once, pulling me up to the final drag. After that it’s a blur. I was hanging over the bars, going for 3rd, and then 4th. Got pipped on the line and came in 5th.

My best placing in the ICL (or any race) so far. Happy days. Sorry about leaving you out there couerdelion. You’ll rip the legs off us in the in the TT.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭maloner

daragh_ wrote: »
    I was in semi-limit.

There were a couple of pops off the front, myself, couerdelion and somebody else went up the road on the first lap but got caught at the bridge. I thought we had the makings of something but it was much too early and I probably imagined that we had a gap.

After that I sat in or around the front and covered anything that looked like it would stick. I had one or two club mates with me who had very fresh legs so it wasn’t too hard.

Chatting to couerdelion I had a vague notion of attacking on the last lap, but as noted the race was fairly tactical and in the end I didn’t have the legs to follow him out. I didn’t want to bridge as I reckoned I would destroy myself getting across, just in time to get swallowed up at the end.

Couple of Lucan guys and one IRC rider cranked it all up at the end so I jumped in for the final drag. I was on the limit towards the end when one of my club mates came around me and lit everything at once, pulling me up to the final drag. After that it’s a blur. I was hanging over the bars, going for 3rd, and then 4th. Got pipped on the line and came in 5th.

My best placing in the ICL (or any race) so far. Happy days. Sorry about leaving you out there couerdelion. You’ll rip the legs off us in the in the TT.

Nice one. Last time round the bridge the leader in SL had about 20 seconds (I was marshalling on the exit of the bridge) and I thought he might stay away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Great race in semi scratch as it turned out. In the beginning as we left Brittas I suddenly noticed that non-Lucaner's were in seriously short supply. So it immediately became apparent that if Lucan decided to play the team card that the "race" would be over before it even began. Lucan could've kept popping riders off the front in 2's and 3's and not chasing them down and very quickly the minority club riders would've been sh@gged from closing the breaks down.
    But fair play, Lucan didn't take the mick as much as they could've. Three lads went off the front for a good lap and a half. Then a bunch of us bridged the gap and all of a sudden I looked behind and noticed we were in a de facto break! I was tickled pink, I think it might be my first time being in a proper break. The next lap and a half consisted of us all working together while being shouted at and encouraged to "MOVE THE FCUK OVER" and "RIDE THE FCUK THROUGH" by Lucan's resident pint-sized 8 year olds. so I duly moved the fcuk over and rode the fcuk through (yes, tight, tight on the fcuking wheel. Sir, yes sir.)
    Thanks to our combined efforts we stayed away and I even managed to trundle over the line to pick up some scraps of points from the table when the velociraptors were finished duking it out :)

Fair play to them, they can ride as well as they can shout. Another nice safe well-ridden race. I'm enjoying the club league this year I must say. :)

Round 7 and a 10 mile TT tonight. Bit of a head cold so wasn't expecting much other than hoping I could get a 40kmh avg so <24:00 (based on an exact 16km).

Undulating course from the cottages to the roundabout and back again (if you know the road you'll know the course) There was a good few drags very little flat and it was a reasonable wind free hot June evening. Set off trying to hold back a little and keep something in reserve for the return leg. Caught my minute man on the way back but 2 min man wasn't to be seen. I've got a max HR of ~159 and usually doing a TT would be hitting 151 around half way and no matter what I do it would stick around there. Don't know if it was the head cold or the heat but I was averaging 155 for the second half and when I pushed for the final 400m I hit my max HR. I was in bits at the finish - absolutely cream crackered.

Official time was 23:31, happy with that but still think I can go faster.

Are the times online yet?

Are the times online yet?

No, I asked the timekeeper for my time. 21:57 was leading it towards the end with not many left.

No, I asked the timekeeper for my time. 21:57 was leading it towards the end with not many left.

21:57!!!!!

Ouch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Legs still aching this morning. From my strava power graph I pretty much pr'd which was my intention.
    I have a fundamental inability to warm up but for the first time I controlled my first couple of km.
    Don't know my time but I did pr the segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Results of last nights 10 mile TT Round 6:
    Name Club Group Time
    LIMIT
    61 Adam Greally STCC L 24.22 1
    22 Lawrence Cliffird STCC L 24.39 2
    12 Rodney Joyce STCC L 25.11 3
    52 Ger Daly LCRC L 25.20
    53 Ger Stephenson LCRC L 25.21
    9 Peter Rush STCC L 25.46
    40 Ciaran Ryan IRC L 26.41
    49 Stephen Burns STCC L 26.51
    24 Daragh Prunty LCRC L 26.59
    46 Brian O Rourke STCC L 27.02
    32 Eamon Newton IRC L 27.08
    60 Maria Mulvaney LCRC L 27.30 1st Lady.
    7 Dermot McMahon IRC L 27.51
    34 Barry Rochford IRC L 27.51
    57 Micheal Deasy STCC L 28.23
    65 Derry O'Riordan IRC L 30.07
    SCRATCH
    5 Dave Carroll IRC S 21.58 1
    36 Seán McKenna UCD CC S 22.23 2
    66 Joseph Breheny UCD CC S 22.29 3
    33 Mark Nicholls LCRC S 22.46
    55 John Caffrey LCRC S 22.47
    29 Cathal Johnson SDCC S 22.48
    54 Eugene Murtagh LCRC S 23.11
    51 James Lattimore SDCC S 23.15
    31 Mark Mearns LCRC S 23.50
    2 Mark Reilly LCRC S 25.25

SEMI LIMIT
    10 Fergal May STCC SL 22.35 1
    27 Brian Hammond LCRC SL 23.29 2
    18 Richard Hart LCRC SL 23.31 3
    56 John McGettigan STCC SL 23.51
    50 Dermot Doherty STCC SL 24.06
    35 Aidan Whelan IRC SL 24.23
    47 Damien Clarke LCRC SL 24.42
    43 Damien Kelly IRC SL 24.46
    16 Michael Lalor LCRC SL 24.47
    20 Daragh O'Toole STCC SL 24.47
    8 Trevor Duffy STCC SL 24.54
    26 Peter Gibbons LCRC SL 24.54
    67 David O'Brien UCD CC SL 25.02
    17 James Quinn STCC SL 25.03
    38 Ken Hoare IRC SL 25.12
    41 Laurence Foley LCRC SL 25.31
    39 Niall Quinn UCD CC SL 25.50
    15 Eoin Delaney LCRC SL 26.12
    19 John Neavyn LCRC SL 26.13
    3 Peter McDonagh LCRC SL 26.27
    23 Dan Poska LCRC SL 26.30
    63 Barry Sheridan LCRC SL 26.36
    44 Randall Burke IRC SL 26.56
    30 Dermot O Gorman LCRC SL 27.01

SEMI SCRATCH
    25 Adam Stenson LCRC SS 22.44 1
    4 Gavin Haberlin UCD CC SS 22.47 2
    1 Brian Reynolds LCRC SS 23.17 3
    13 Martin Vereker STCC SS 23.19
    62 Conn McDunphy LCRC SS 23.23
    37 Michael Leonard LCRC SS 23.36
    48 Martin McNamara LCRC SS 23.36
    21 John Malone STCC SS 23.38
    45 Aidan Yates IRC SS 23.60
    6 Alan Clarke IRC SS 24.27
    28 Niall Dwyer UCD CC SS 24.36
    59 Dermot White LCRC SS 25.18
    64 Stephen Bryan LCRC SS 25.24
    11 Ian O Hara LCRC SS 25.47
    14 Neil O Connor LCRC SS 25.48

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

Adam Stenson beat Gavin Haberlin in a TT? Very impressed.

First time with aero-bars. PB for me and I got under 25 which is cool. Smack bang in the middle of semi-limit. I'm buying a pointy hat.

Mr May can stop slumming it in semi-limit now I hope.

Winner in the SL would have won the SS cat too and was 4th overall... some riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

not too shabby yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Gutted I didn't brake 25mins, but I did it yesterday on a cyclocross bike, with no aerobars or pointy hat, with shorts and jersey. I was still hoping to do sub 25, but could have been worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Gutted I didn't brake 25mins, but I did it yesterday on a cyclocross bike, with no aerobars or pointy hat, with shorts and jersey. I was still hoping to do sub 25, but could have been worse.

Yeah you could have been over 26 mins like me :D:confused::(

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

First time trial last night! I felt a bit under-prepared when I arrived in a similar situation to dave_o_brien (minus the cyclocross - extra kudos!). 3 seconds over the 25 minute mark myself but good to get the first one done. I might even splash out on a set of aerobars for the next one.

Some savage times posted there altogether I must say. Well done to everyone. Except Fergal May. I think he should be disqualified for not wearing club colours as per rule #3 ;)

Stupid Finish.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Stupid Finish.

That is all.

The gradient on some of that last 2.5km was over 12%. As I said at the finish, I think that the route should be up on the various clubs facebook page by Tuesday so that we all know what we are doing rather than what happened this evening where people weren't sure what the last 2.5km were actually like.

I really enjoyed that climb, despite suffering like a dog on it. It's good to mix it up and not have the same finish every time. 4 times over the bridge was a good call as well.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Finish up Ballysmutten?

Yep. Right turn at the usual finish and then 2k up. There was much gnashing of teeth, wailing and lamentation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's a nice little kicker up there alright.

Our Sally Gap race is next week. Fun times...

I really enjoyed that climb, despite suffering like a dog on it. It's good to mix it up and not have the same finish every time. 4 times over the bridge was a good call as well.

4 laps was good - it was about time we started adding a bit of length to the races now we have longer days. Would be nice to have a flat or downhill finish though just once :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I think that the route should be up on the various clubs facebook page by Tuesday so that we all know what we are doing.. .

Agreed, this is one of the race finishes that I would actually want to tackle and I'm sure that I'd find a volunteer to swap marshaling duties for.

Anyway, as marshaling turns go, it was a nice evening to stand around chatting in the sunshine :-)

Super stuff last night. Weather helped and the up hill finish was a nice change. Knowing where the top was would have helped a lot but now we know. SS/S was fast as always. In SS we got held up nearly to a standstill on lap one through manor kilbride but thankfully no one came down and there was quite a few attacks and not a lot of efforts to work to stay away, before we were caught after the bridge on lap two. Held on on the climb till about 500m from the finish, but reckon I could have got more out.

The horse at the finish looked interested and I reckon he wants to see us back.

4 laps was good - it was about time we started adding a bit of length to the races now we have longer days. Would be nice to have a flat or downhill finish though just once :)

But then we will just be watching you power away every time!

Looking forward to longer races, especially with Doreys etc thrown in a few times.

• Advertisement

Its hard to beat club league racing on a night like that. Super stuff

Advertisement