Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Free banking rules in AIB changed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

Had it confirmed today by HO that you will not be charge any acc/trans fees if you have your account balance at zero. Going to get it in writing next week.
    Great is that with Aib or ulster?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

aib supposed to close my current account today.... its still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    aib supposed to close my current account today.... its still open.

Be sure you've cleared all your cash out and refuse to give them a penny if they try to apply any charges.

Cancelled all of my direct debits and standing orders today. Going to give instruction to officially close the account as soon as everything else has been set up with Ulster Bank. Thanks for 16 years of nothing, AIB. Increasingly frustrating bank to deal with, personally and professionally. Can't imagine they'll be around for too long unless our feckless government continue to support this unfeasible debt mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It would be interesting to know just how many AIB customers have moved to other banking institutions.

And exactly how much capital (whether savings or current account monies) has been lost from AIBs books?

AIB have a current advert campaign aimed at providing funds to the farming sector in the form of loans for capital investment....

Its a pity they couldn't give a damn about the ordinary bank user who are the backbone of their countrywide banking operations

Their next set of accounts should be very interesting....

Edit:

See Poll HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Just to state folks what I think is the obvious but maybe some people have not copped this.

Ulster bank have no fees yet. My buddy who works there says they will bring in fees toward the end of the year. They won't do it till the switching stops .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Just to state folks what I think is the obvious but maybe some people have not copped this.

Ulster bank have no fees yet. My buddy who works there says they will bring in fees toward the end of the year. They won't do it till the switching stops .

I think it'd be naive to presume that it'd be free banking forever. But 1) those of us who made the switch will have gotten another 5-6 months of free banking (better to have the money in our pocket than in AIB's) and 2) even if Ulster do bring in fees, they won't necessarily be structured like the AIB fees; hopefully they'll be a lot more fair, which is all we can really ask for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

If Ulster Bank bring in fees, they might only bring in fees for new customers and not existing customers. That is the way PTSB did it.

The Ulster Bank Step account is advertised as been a "Transaction-free banking account" in the product sales spec. This makes fee introduction difficult unless Ulster Bank mass move en-force customers to a new product type (NIB style).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭chasm

Still waiting on UB to phone me back! Had a look at my account online and in the section where it says "manage direct debits", does this cover all DDs or just ones that you set up yourself? (Mine is empty at the moment). My account was due to be switched on May 10th, yet my DD for UTV went out from my AIB a/c on May 31st. I'm not happy with this "switcher" service at all, does anyone know who i lodge a complaint to as phoning their customer service is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭andrewg82

is there any free banking left? i heard ulster band are starting to charge too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

chasm wrote: »
    Still waiting on UB to phone me back! Had a look at my account online and in the section where it says "manage direct debits", does this cover all DDs or just ones that you set up yourself? (Mine is empty at the moment). My account was due to be switched on May 10th, yet my DD for UTV went out from my AIB a/c on May 31st. I'm not happy with this "switcher" service at all, does anyone know who i lodge a complaint to as phoning their customer service is a waste of time.

Have had a similar experience!
    I am slowly getting letters from the companies I had direct debits with - but still have not had 1 single direct debit come from my account. I sent the form nearlly 1 month ago - with 16th May being my switch date!

I missed mortgage payment amongst others as a result.
    I have found the "switcher" team extremely rude on the rare occasion that I have managed to get through. Even yesterday when I rang the freephone - the lad on the other end wouldn't put me through - saying it was for new customers only .... I spent an hour on hold and then gave up!!

I am finding this switching process extremely poor to be honest - best doing it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭gomamochi1

The oh and I have similiar prob. Must be the floods of new clients moving and short staff! I am still awaiting cb after several calls! Hope they don't mess up mortgage repayments! I can't call in either as working during the day. Pain it is. If u get z email address let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

andrewg82 wrote: »
    is there any free banking left? i heard ulster band are starting to charge too

Ulster Bank currently have transaction free banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

gomamochi1 wrote: »

The oh and I have similiar prob. Must be the floods of new clients moving and short staff! I am still awaiting cb after several calls! Hope they don't mess up mortgage repayments! I can't call in either as working during the day. Pain it is. If u get z email address let me know.
    A lot of their branches are open Saturday if that would help.o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What is the procedure for closing an account at AIB?

I've an old current account that I rarely use and I don't want to continue racking up fees every year?

Is a registered letter to the bank stating that I want to close it enough?
    Or, do I have to physically call into the branch?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

either

I sent the letter from BOI detailing my sort code and account number and my name and address to prove it was my account, to the benefit office at the end of april, when i called they said they havent gotten around to it, but said i had sent the right letter and proof. We'll see.... So ive left my cash save open so i can see if july's payment goes in.

I logged on to AIB 24 to make a transfer from my cashsave account and I've realised you can't set up a new payee if you dont have a current account as you will have no card to use in the code card reader!

Hope this saves someone making the same mistake just have.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You'll get charged the €30, and you will receive a letter from AIB to provide to any new card issuer so that you are nor charged.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

That':mad:s the thanks for helping bail them out, contemptuous F..ers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

I'm glad I decided to leave my AIB account open for another 6 months to wait and see what UB and BOI did. It will probably cost €20 max in fees.

Queuing in AIB to close my account and queuing in UB to open a new account meant taking time off work.

Now this UB fiasco of lodgement failures. Maybe BOI is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭emy

You also can go to any AIB branch in Dublin and do it easily, without sending a letter to your branch. They will give you a form to fill it & sign it, and will give cash what is left in your account. That's all.
    My branch was in Tipp town and I closed it here in Dublin.
    If you want to send a letter, just write down your wish.....nothing particular.

I just sent a letter with the date, account etc and said I wanted it closed on a certain day. They called me for a reason and i told them it was the charges, that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but I thought I had closed my AIB current account back in May. In my branch I submitted a letter stating that I wanted to close my account and I handed back my Laser card. Shortly afterwards I received what I thought was a closing statement through the post.

Then today, I received another AIB bank statement showing fees of €14.20 on my account and which were then immediately refunded. I am fuming as I thought this account had been closed. :mad:

Please double check that the AIB account you thought you had closed has actually been closed. :rolleyes::)

Advertisement