Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck crash in O'Connell street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭marmajam

Correct. This is why all trucks should be banned fron the city centre.
    As Bk said, followed by cars.
    Later buses and taxis.
    Then people and dogs.
    Insects! That's the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I would agree that 112/999 is for emergencies only and shouldn't be used to report what is a parking incident. The GArda was correct to 'round' on you

It is fustrating that there is a complete lack of inaction by the Gardai on this matter. I wonder if I was to put a burger van in behind the bus could I serve up some food for the tourists? I doubt if i would last 10 min.

It's amazing that an incident like this one can attract so many Gardai that are doing lieterally nothing. the only Gardai that should be there after the casualty has been removed is a couple on point duty and a technical team to evaluate the accident.

I can guarantee that there would be numerous infringements of the law in the area that they should be dealing with.

My favourite Garda story is driving down east wall road and encountering a group of kids rolling a massive tyre from some sort of earthmoving machine down the road in darkness. The Gardai in Store St. said "...sure it's Halloween and they are lighting a bonfire". No concerns abour road safety and no concerns about the pollution laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lol at the irony of picture 2. "TESCO garden RANGE!"

Anybody know why they sprayed the tree and tires with yellow paint?
    msg11 wrote: »
    They should mark, the curbs for drivers and pedos.
    Yeah, pedos should always be given clear markings when getting around town.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Anybody know why they sprayed the tree and tires with yellow paint?
    Evidence purposes I suppose. When they perform the forensic examination on the truck they can locate the wheels as they were when it came to a halt and so on. They often mark vehicle position with that paint, just an extension of that I think.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah, pedos should always be given clear markings when getting around town.
    Lol. Surprised nobody made a comment on the pedos earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I like the third photo with Jim Larkin throwing his hands up the heaven - should have been front page, great photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

ArseBurger wrote: »
    112 is the same as 999. It is the international standard emergency services number.

I am surprised that a Garda, let alone a Superintendent would get this wrong...
    Sorry for not being clear - I knew, as did the Superintendent, that 112/999 are the same.
    He suggested using the emergency number for anti-social issues in my estate. I did ask "Really? 112?" a few times to be sure.

AlekSmart - Get the incidents recorded via reporting them to TrafficWatch. If you are not contacted about them you can follow up with Store Street station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

DaymoBrew,Is this TrafficWatch the AA RoadWatch service ?

I am aware of the Northern Ireland TrafficWatch service which,typically, appears to be a far more comprehensive OFFICIAL service.

That issue apart,I was so dumbstruck by the Garda Operators response that I simply thanked him for his cooperation and hung up.

On reflection I believe that the Garda may well have not been sufficiently trained to operate the Pulse (?) system.
    As another poster remarked,the SYSTEM is designed to prioritize the reports recieved.
    In fact I know of situations where persons reporting a situation by phone to a local station were advised to ring 112 to ensure ANY response and also to ensure a complete log of the incident..

The current situation along O Connell St and the daily contribution to danger made by this negligent operation IS,in my opinion of sufficient importance to warrant Garda action,even if it be Advisory to begin with.
    For the Gardai to simply do nothing is only fostering the belief that either some form of unofficial "Understanding" exists OR that the force is disinterested in the extreme.

As somebody who was on the scene of the 2005 accident in which Mrs Buckland was killed I simply will not walk away from a situation where a supposedly competent and proffessional Bus Company with responsibilities to the general public,insists on acting in a manner which substantially increases the risk of ANOTHER fatal accident at the SAME location.

It is not rocket science,all of the Tour Operators in Dublin have licenced services with clearly marked and approved BusStops.
    It is FULLY within the remit of ANY Garda to Insist on these Stops being used.

I would suggest that it becomes even more important in the context of the Dublin City Coroners verdict on Mrs Buckland`s death,the subsequent inaction of the City Council and the rider attached by the Jury that EXTREME care be demanded from ALL Bus Companies using this provenly dangerous crossing .....Or is it simply a case of One Womans death not being sufficiently important enough to take precedence over the pursuit of the Tourist Euro ?? :(

Either way,this junction is constantly monitored by Council and Garda CCTV and under the gaze of several Gardai on post and patrol duty...yet the Admiral Nelson blind eye is the only response... :confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I've been advised by many Gardai in an official capacity to call 999 and NOT the local police station for all manner of (what I would consider) non-urgent things, for the same reasons as above-to get a centralised dispatch and log of the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AlekSmart wrote: »
    This usually occurs when DCC or The Gardai cave in to some presure group or other and make piecemeal alterations as can most easily be seen with the "Taxi Rank" at the Northern extremity.
    This is being split into two separate ranks, one northbound, the other southbound.
    For example there now exists a very serious and worsening situation on the Southbound side of the Street,whereby the private Dublin Citytours operator parks one of their open top buses at the approach to the North Earl Street/Henry St Pedestrian Crossing.
    Another tour operator is using a stop at the corner of Lower Abbey Street, which I think is also a stop for the Dublin Bus number 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

AlekSmart wrote: »
    DaymoBrew,Is this TrafficWatch the AA RoadWatch service ?
    No. TrafficWatch is the Garda service - 1890-205-805.
    I use this because I know that it gets recorded in a computer system and a fax :rolleyes: is sent to the appropriate station for their action. Unfortunately it often sits on the Super's desk for months :mad:

You should consider writing to the Super at Store Street (ring the station and they'll tell you who it is). Also contact the bus company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 papa-lazarou

Hi there. I was a first hand witness to the accident and I can clear up a few things in this thread. The driver did blackout, or at least that's what he claimed when he came to (or woke up). I tend to believe that he blacked out, as it's less likely to just nod off at such a busy junction.

The windscreen wasn't smashed with stones! That damage was done by the traffic lights he ploughed through.

The chap that got hit was on the path so it was nothing to do with path/road confusion.

In fairness to the Gardai, one of them was there within seconds and backup arrived straight after as did the ambulance.

Also, the truck was going very slowly, was a case of sheer mass rather then speed that caused the damage.

http://www.johnbraine.com/2007/11/accident-on-oconnell-street.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

spareman wrote: »
    Ive heard it was a heart attack the driver suffered, Lucky really this could have been alot worse.
    Remember the driver who had a heart attack on the N1 northbound just before the Coolock turnoff last year. Scary the damage you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

bk wrote: »

IMO this is why such all trucks should be banned from the city centre, followed by all cars later and eventually buses and taxis too.

Pedestrianise the city centre step by step.

Yes , And goods will get onto the shelves of shops by themselves :rolleyes:
    That must have been quite a frightning experience for the driver.
    Hope he's ok
    How was the boy involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Thanks for that. Hope the poor guy is okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Yes , And goods will get onto the shelves of shops by themselves :rolleyes:
    That must have been quite a frightning experience for the driver.
    Hope he's ok
    How was the boy involved?
    Someone posted a link earlier which said the guy had a crushed/badly broken hip and needed lots of surgery, but should be walking again in a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Hannibal Lecter

seamus wrote: »
    When you're driving on the road, it's obvious where the road is. If you're on the path and not watching it's very easy to just wander straight onto the road. Two women were killed by a bus after walking straight out last year IIRC.

Bit odd what happened here, but perhaps the kid walked straight out and the driver took evasive action which is why he ended up on the median?

the person hit is my cousin he was standing on the PATH
    he wasnt crossing the driver of the truck had a black out and went up onto the path striking my cousin who was listening to an ipod at the time dragging him several metres or so.

ps hes sitting beside me now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

the person hit is my cousin he was standing on the PATH
    he wasnt crossing the driver of the truck had a black out and went up onto the path striking my cousin who was listening to an ipod at the time dragging him several metres or so.

ps hes sitting beside me now
    we wish him a very speedy and complete recovery!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 papa-lazarou

Sangre wrote: »
    we wish him a very speedy and complete recovery!

Seconded.

How's he doing now?

http://www.ratemyisp.ie

Advertisement