Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Truck crash in O'Connell street

Options
  • 12-11-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Came accross this in O'Connell street this morning. Not clear what happened but there didn't seem to be skid marks and the truck travelled a good distance, knocking over sign posts and a tree..

From RTÉ.ie below

A 16-year-old boy has been seriously injured after being struck by a truck which mounted the centre median close to the Spire on O'Connell Street in Dublin.

He was taken to the Mater Hospital after the collision, which occurred at around 8.20am.

Northbound traffic on O'Connell Street in Dublin is down to just one lane. The remaining lane, which is the bus lane, is open to all traffic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 green rover

the truck has now been taken away. traffic still quiet bad

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭fitzyshea

I know its not exactly the best thing to say but this does not surprise me at all! The foothpath and the road look the same and the crossing at the spire last about 5 seconds so you dont have enought time to cross the full lenght of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Maybe the Tesco driver just really, REALLY didn't like the tree?

in all seriousness though, we'll find out from the CCTV eventually, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fitzyshea wrote: »
    I know its not exactly the best thing to say but this does not surprise me at all! The foothpath and the road look the same and the crossing at the spire last about 5 seconds so you dont have enought time to cross the full lenght of the road.
    When you're driving on the road, it's obvious where the road is. If you're on the path and not watching it's very easy to just wander straight onto the road. Two women were killed by a bus after walking straight out last year IIRC.

Bit odd what happened here, but perhaps the kid walked straight out and the driver took evasive action which is why he ended up on the median?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I think it is a good thing to say. The road is terrible there as its so similar to the street. I hate driving on o'connel street because some people dont notice where the curb on the road is and walk straight out.

But this is different as the drivers didnt realise something. Although in fairness it could have been something mechanical or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

?? The footpath confusion is a bit of a red herring.

At a guess, i would say that it was some sort of driver or vehicle related issues. Even if the driver couldn't distinguish the road from the footpath, he would have been aware of the central median having driven up O'connell st and was heading straight towards an immovable object.

Hopefully, the injuries in the incident aren't serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Navan Junction

chris85 wrote: »
    But this is different as the drivers didnt realise something.

I forgot to add this photo

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

navan re the last photo every little helps - to aid the understanding of how it occurred

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭auggie2k

I passed this earlier on coming into town on the bus, my first thoughts were that the driver fell asleep at the wheel. He certainly plowed the barriers out of it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You obviously didn't look at the pictures posted above. This had nothing to do with the road and footpath looking the same or the short lights, from the picture you can see that the truck plunged right through at least two large polls and a tree!!

Not exactly inconspicuous.

It looks like the driver either fell asleep at the wheel, had a stroke/heart attack or suffered from a mechanical failure of the brakes, etc.

IMO this is why such all trucks should be banned from the city centre, followed by all cars later and eventually buses and taxis too.

Pedestrianise the city centre step by step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

That's a lot of Gardai standing around in fourth photo. Eight of them.

The broken windscreen in the fifth photo, of the front of the trunk, makes me wonder whether the truck was attacked by stones. Maybe that would account for the speed at which the truck left the road.
    I didn't noticed anything along it's off-road route that was tall enough to cause that damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

daymobrew wrote: »
    The broken windscreen in the fifth photo, of the front of the trunk, makes me wonder whether the truck was attacked by stones. Maybe that would account for the speed at which the truck left the road.
    I didn't noticed anything along it's off-road route that was tall enough to cause that damage.
    If you look at photo 3 you'll see that he probably ran through a couple of pedestrian / traffic light poles. The light clusters would probably be at about that height I'd imagine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

That road is a nightmare. I have to say that 16year old will get a nice payout from Tesco for the whole incident.

I work for tesco, and I would put it down to a mechanical fault as the trucks are always breaking down in the yard and the other week, one of the airbags on the back lift of an artic blew up and my god the bang.

Re the gardai, what the hell is going on? I would bring that photo to make a complaint as they are standing around doing absolute nothing.

Just to add to it. That street is an absolute right job, the street and footpaths both the same texture. They should mark, the curbs for drivers and pedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

msg11 wrote: »
    Re the gardai, what the hell is going on? I would bring that photo to make a complaint as they are standing around doing absolute nothing.
    So based on a still photograph, you've come to the conclusion that these Gardai are standing around doing nothing?

seamus wrote: »
    So based on a still photograph, you've come to the conclusion that these Gardai are standing around doing nothing?

I stand corrected, there doing a whole lot of work... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Treade

That road is a nightmare. I have to say that 16year old will get a nice payout from Tesco for the whole incident.

I work for tesco, and I would put it down to a mechanical fault as the trucks are always breaking down in the yard and the other week, one of the airbags on the back lift of an artic blew up and my god the bang.

Just to add to it. That street is an absolute right job, the street and footpaths both the same texture. They should mark, the curbs for drivers and pedos.

That's a bit insensitive thinking of money. The poor chap was in very poor shape when I passed by at 8:30. He'll be lucky to survive - money will be the least of his worries at this stage

Alun wrote: »
    If you look at photo 3 you'll see that he probably ran through a couple of pedestrian / traffic light poles. The light clusters would probably be at about that height I'd imagine?
    I'd forgotten about the lights at Prince's Street (between GPO and Pennys).
    seamus wrote: »
    I came to the same conclusion based on still photo #4. It was the way the guy on the left is rubbing his hands, the next guy is leaning on the motorbike and only one (on the right) is looking at oncoming traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭MiniD

Perhaps it would be better to wait for the various investigations to take place before you reach conclusions. Unless you have knowledge of this particular incident, your above claim will add nothing to any investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

They'd be busy/needed to divert traffic and onlookers when the tow truck shows up

Treade wrote: »
    That's a bit insensitive thinking of money. The poor chap was in very poor shape when I passed by at 8:30. He'll be lucky to survive - money will be the least of his worries at this stage

Just saying... And I am sure alot of people though that too. Its great that he survived which is lucky extremely. But too think that after his recovery that he wont be sueing tesco, and he wont be getting a large payout. (Just what I think).

And mini D, I would not like to take part in the investigation; I was adding my though to the thread, is there some form of a problem you have with that. Or do you get some pleasure out of newbie bashing? (Please don't answer that question; it is here nor there for this topic).

And about the gardai, I understand they are needed (:confused:), as for the people that seem to think that I stated, that there should be no gardai there at all. I did not say that, if there standing around talking then there is an obvious fact there are too many gardai there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Completely off topic but does the tyre on the left hand Garda bike in the third picture look completely bald to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,114 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Completely off topic but does the tyre on the left hand Garda bike in the third picture look completely bald to anyone else?

you can see it better in the fourth photo

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

o,connell st is a 30kph zone looking at the pic id say he was doing double that with the damage hes done and i blame the authorties because its never inforced cars in the 24h bus lane people walking out in front of traffic and the police standing by looking at this and not worried about it and very soon someone else is going to be killed on that street its a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭spareman

Ive heard it was a heart attack the driver suffered, Lucky really this could have been alot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭trellheim

Is O'Connell St actually a 30kph zone ? I didn't know they'd brought that in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Leaving aside the issue of this particular accident there is little doubt in my mind that O Connell St represents one of the greatest examples of poor,bordering on negligent,Civic Administration.

As with so much of our central planning we begin with an essentially positive and desireable concept,such as the ORIGINAL O Connell St Integrated Area Plan represented.

However what we end up with is a bastardized version in which many of the essential elements,such as substantial reductions in general traffic volume,never actually materialize.
    This usually occurs when DCC or The Gardai cave in to some presure group or other and make piecemeal alterations as can most easily be seen with the "Taxi Rank" at the Northern extremity.

Here we have a facility which if it were being sold in a retail outlet would be described as of non-merchantable quality and unfit for it`s stated purpose.

If anybody doubts this then just take 10 minutes any day to observe how difficult it is for Taxi Drivers to make SAFE use of this newly provided facility,which incidentally has neither shelter,seating or information,all of which WERE present on the Old rank at the same location.

This shambolic amaturish attitude from DCC is only matched by an equally dislocated lack of policy from an Garda Siochana.

For example there now exists a very serious and worsening situation on the Southbound side of the Street,whereby the private Dublin Citytours operator parks one of their open top buses at the approach to the North Earl Street/Henry St Pedestrian Crossing.

Just to clarify,there is NO Bus-stop at this point and the driver often leaves the cab to perform ticket-selling duties on the footpath,leaving the bus ticking over with the nearside indicator left flashing.

Now since this bus is now de-facto PARKED and also obscuring the view of following traffic it therefore constitutes an obstruction.

I regularly witness Bus Atha Cliath services and many other classes of road users having to make severe right hand lock manouveres at EXACTLY the most dangerous point...the approach to a (Provenly Dangerous) Pedestrian crossing.

Recently this company has started allocating a second Bus to sit parked in exactly the same alignment at the NEXT pedestrian crossing outside Clerys.

This situation has become problematic since the reopening of the "New" street and the relocation of the Dublin Bus Tours Operation to Cathal Brugha Street.
    It seems as if the competing operator took a decision to seize the former Dublin Bus sites even though these had actually physically disappeared and so we have what is a potentially catastrophic situation just waiting for the right combination of events.

Now,in the context of Karl75`s remarks about the demeanour of the Gardai,I would add that there is something very wrong with a situation whereby the above dangerous mullarkey is perpretated EVERY day directly opposite one,two or SEVERAL Gardai who are on some form of Duty attached to the GPO.

I have had conversations with Gardai on the Traffic Corps number (6669800) and they have been in agreement on the danger of this practice.
    However this never translates to any actual action on the street itself.

On one occasion following my witnessing a VERY close call when a courier motorcyclist had to take evasive action due to a Dublin Bus being forced to apply hard right lock to clear this parked ticket seller,I rang 112 and explained the situation to a Garda.

Incredibly the Garda rounded on me for using the 112 number to report this,saying that it WASNT an emergency and I should contact Store Street to make my views known....I attempted to reason with him and explain that in the blink of an eye this parked Bus could contribute to a disasterous RTA which might then meet his criteria.

Such is the level of Garda inaction to what is now rapidly becoming a Public Safety issue that I am left to speculate if there is some unwritten agreement between the Gardai and the Operator whereby the force will leave well enough alone in return for some other cooperation or consideration.

My point is that when such obviously dangerous practice is carried on in full view of Gardai who,to a member,take absolutely NO action,then the forces management should not be surprised at the decreasing level of confidence being shown by the general public.

Given that the Street itself is constantly monitored by both DCC Traffic Cameras AND the Gardai`s own CCTV units the defence of not knowing simply wont hold water in this case.

Perhaps msg11 and Karl75 are somewhat nearer the spot than some posters are comfortable with,and the pictures represent a fair portrayal of the Garda forces actual methodology ?

Anyway if any of you are out and about in OCS tomorrow take a closer look at the ticket selling tour buses from ALL companies along the South Bound side in particular.......:)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bloody Tesco.

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Incredibly the Garda rounded on me for using the 112 number to report this,saying that it WASNT an emergency and I should contact Store Street to make my views known.
    This is surprising and disappointing - my local Super told me that it was fine to rung 112 because it will be categorised appropriately so as not to interfere with other emergencies.

I suggest writing to the Assistant Commissioner for Dublin. That will get some action.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

daymobrew wrote: »
    This is surprising and disappointing - my local Super told me that it was fine to rung 112 because it will be categorised appropriately so as not to interfere with other emergencies.

112 is the same as 999. It is the international standard emergency services number.

I am surprised that a Garda, let alone a Superintendent would get this wrong...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

How's my driving? Not great TBH.

tescotp4.jpg

Advertisement