Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum cpu/fsb/psu's

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

I have an ATX case i got for €50. it came with a 300w codegen.
    it was running fine for over a year 1.4GHz amd chip in it.

i then bought a dual cpu mobo. i didnt have fans for the 2 CPU's so at first I stuck in the old 1.4GHz chip. it also had 3 hard disks, 2x optical drives and loads of cards (e.g.usb2)
    the gfx card was nothing too power hungry, a Vivid!XS

the power supply gave up one day. in the middle of a judging in the Young Scientist Exhibition. was I overloading the powah supply, or was iit just on its last legs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭GRAHAM2002

I have a 1100 duron with a gf2 64mb, 395mb PC133 and 2 maxtor h/d 10 & 20 Gb.

I am runng medal of honour at the mo seems to run ok.

Will it run everything out there ?

What do u think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

the fact that it is a duron at least means that you can easily upgrade the chip when needed... the GF2 also sounds a bit measily, how bout a gf4mx for round €66 on www.komplett.ie??

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

All this talk of PSU's and specs fun fun fun at the work work work

I bought my self a rake of components a while back to build my new box for modding and OC'ing etc. As mentioned building is the only way forward to keep costs down. Plus you can add on little bits when the budget is right for it.

MSI KT3V mobo
    Tr2 m2 hs and fan
    768 mb DDR PC 2700
    AMD 2000+ running @ 1.9ghz
    Codegen case
    3 case fans
    1 blue cold cathode
    1 6gig samsung secondary/programming drive
    1 40gig WD caviar partitioned to 3 and 37

All these ran off a codegen 300W psu for 5-6 months. I was wondering why system and cpu temp were always high(50-55) even though I had thermal paste on the CPU then i tried another PSU and it was problem solved.
    Bought a dual fan psu from peats 420W Happy days no problems any more

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Originally posted by Inspector Gadget
    I have the misfortune to have a Codegen 300W PSU in my box; in addition, however, I also have an Epox 8KTA3+ mobo, and while both of these are known for low +5 line measurements, mine's holding at 4.78, which is just barely within ATX specs (5V +/- 5%, last time I checked, which equates to 4.75 - 5.25V) Seems to be holding up just fine, though...

Okay, blowing the "house fuse" is a bit suspect. Are you sure it's a fuse and not a circuit breaker? (Circuit breakers are physically similar to switches, and can be "reset" after they trip; fuses must be replaced). If you blew a "main fuse", you're in serious trouble; most PC power leads would melt/catch fire if subjected to that for more than a handful of seconds - you'd notice the smell of burning plastic if you were using this kind of power on a regular basis ;). We're talking a bloody-hell-the-lights-are-dimming moment here.

If it was a circuit breaker that tripped, it could be dodgy house wiring or a short in the PSU itself (line or neutral to earth, or line-to-neutral) causing earth leakage. This would trip instantaneously though (less than one second after the load appearing).

Realistically, the PC and monitor shouldn't be drawing much more than 5A once the PC is up and running (although there'll be a noticeable surge in current when the system is is powered up).

Gadget

Checking my own settings, do these seem ok?

Case Open Warning - Disabled
    Shutdown Temp - Disabled
    CPU Vcoure 1.71V
    +2.5V - 2.51V
    +3.3 - 3.24V
    +5.0V - 4.89V
    +12V - 13.05V
    Current System Temp - 30 deg c
    Current CPU temo - 41 deg c
    CPU fan speed - 2960 rpm
    Cas Fan Spped - 0 rpm (doesn't have one?)

Thanks for reading!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Ronaldo7

this should be all updated...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

+12V - 13.05V

Erm thats not good right there......rest of the voltages are fine.......is that a typo??

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'm pretty sure i wrote them all down right, if it is correct what would that mean? PSU problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Originally posted by Ronaldo7
    this should be all updated...

Well what are you waiting for? Off you go and get all the latest technology and updates for the info provided and update the thread with all the necessaries like a good lad now. Maybe they'll make you a mod if you're lucky then you can work for free too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Very interesting read this...

I'm currently running:

Athlon TBird 1.33
    400 odd mb's of SD Ram
    2 X Hard Drives
    Hercules Prophet 64MB
    300 Generic PSU

This is running fine although the CPU temperatures seem a bit high.

I've recently bought:

Abit KV7
    AMD XP2600
    512DDR Ram

The problem is the new setup refuses to boot. The fans on both the CPU and the Hercules Prophet both start however the display shows nothing. I removed everything with the exception of CPU, RAM and Video card and still no luck.

Could this be down to the PSU ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

EDIT:
    Wrong thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Ive recently bought a new system that im building.
    I tried running it on a 300W PSU but no luck, im getting a 450 Watt PSU today so hopefully that will sort it out

Its an Athon 2300+ and an Asus x series MB, running it in a modded case with fans, lights, termometer etc

With the 300 it was spinning up once or twice then dying off.
    you think the 450 will sort this?

gar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

What brand PSU? If its qutec, throw it in the bin. If it's antec or something good like that, then keep it, its a good PSU and worth reselling.

Make sure the new one is a good brand of PSU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

ill be buy these components after xmas,my question is what power supply would you reccomend, cheers

# 300492 - AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz Socket 754, 512 KB cache, BOXED

# 300050 - MSI K8N NEO Platinum Edition

# 113518 - TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2.5 Memory184-P (for DDR-PC400MHz)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

What graphics card do you have ? One of the forton 300 or 350watts (get a 120mm fan model) would do you fine as long as you wont be loading to the hilt, and you have a modest graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

its a G FORCE FX 5600 AGP 256MB DDR

i may be upgrading this aswell at a later date to maybe a 6800 or a radeon 9800,

will 350 watts be enough,at present i have a 300 watt psu

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

I've recently bought:

Abit KV7
    AMD XP2600
    512DDR Ram

The problem is the new setup refuses to boot. The fans on both the CPU and the Hercules Prophet both start however the display shows nothing. I removed everything with the exception of CPU, RAM and Video card and still no luck.

Could this be down to the PSU ?

I had this exact same problem with my brand spanking new pc, took working psu out of old machine q-tec :( 550w which I thought would do it perfectly. It worked for about 48 hours one morning wouldn't turn on. Fans spin etc, diagnostic lights claimed it was CPU, went through RMA hassle several times, gave up and bought a thermaltake butterfly 480w psu (80-90quid in peats) and my pc has been ever stable since.

I worked it out to being the 12v rail on the q-tec being aload of **** really.
    I was sucking 12.85v at start up so I can only imagine what happens when I put it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

TacT wrote:
    Well what are you waiting for? Off you go and get all the latest technology and updates for the info provided and update the thread with all the necessaries like a good lad now. Maybe they'll make you a mod if you're lucky then you can work for free too!

Hmmm if i spend a few hours updating this woefully out of date thread will you make me a mod?............No? Didint think so? Well my services are here and waiting(",)

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I'm having problems with unexplained crashed of my PC, and wonder if my PSU is the problem.

I'm using a 350W PSU with this spec:

P4 3.0
    ASUS P4R800V Deluxe MB (integrated graphics)
    2GB PC3200
    200GB SATA
    250GB IDE
    2xOptical drives
    1x Floppy
    2x Hauppauge PVR250 Tuner cards
    Additional 6 Port USB PCI card
    USB wireless mouse
    USB skype phone adapter
    USB charging my phone

The PC is on most of the time as a PVR, and seems to shutdown in the night for no reason (power settings set to stay on 24-7).

Is there a way to see if the PSU is the problem?

Thanks,

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Bit late to be replyin but am

Dead give away for the need for a new power supply is hearing the fans slow under heavvvy usage.

Can cause Ram to loose voltage and as a result crash (sometimes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Ro-76 wrote:
    I'm having problems with unexplained crashed of my PC, and wonder if my PSU is the problem.

I'm using a 350W PSU with this spec:

P4 3.0
    ASUS P4R800V Deluxe MB (integrated graphics)
    2GB PC3200
    200GB SATA
    250GB IDE
    2xOptical drives
    1x Floppy
    2x Hauppauge PVR250 Tuner cards
    Additional 6 Port USB PCI card
    USB wireless mouse
    USB skype phone adapter
    USB charging my phone

The PC is on most of the time as a PVR, and seems to shutdown in the night for no reason (power settings set to stay on 24-7).

Is there a way to see if the PSU is the problem?

Thanks,

Ro

Depends on the following 3 things (in this order)
    1: Manufacturer of PSU
    2: P4 Processor type (Prescott is a lot more powerhungry than Northwood)
    3: What you've plugged into the USB

If its unbranded or Codegen, you're ****ed, get another PSU.
    If its Cheiftec/Antec or some other reputable brand, it could be, but consider checking your electrics in your house...

My PC is of similar spec to what you've listed and my 360W Chieftec provides me with ample power. But I wouldn't dare try it with a codegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Let's unsticky this thread and put it to bed. Most of the information is woefully out of date, and most people are more aware now of the importance of a good PSU. If we still want some information with regards to this topic, I suggest someone make a new thread with relevant information.

So can we unsticky this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hey - my old 360W Chieftec PSU just blew out, looking for a replacement.

I've got an AMD 3500+ on nForce 4, an ATI X800XT and just 1 hard disk, and the PSU calculators all seem to recommend something over the 300W mark, with plenty of juice on the 12V rail.

I was thinking about getting this PSU here from Komplett, because I don't have a limitless budget, but I'm wary of the fact than neither of the 12V rails reach 18A individually (plus I've never heard of NorthQ) - what do you's think?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=307837&view=detailed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pcurran_ire

I currently have the following spec:

AMD X2 4400+ (Toledo core)
    Asus A8n SLI Premium
    2 sticks of 512mb XMSC2 3200
    7800gt XFX
    onboard sound
    2 HDD (ide/sata)
    Dvdrw drive
    some lights/fans + Zalman 9500 LED

Have a Noisetaker 485w powering the lot

Works fine now but I'm planning to add another 7800gt (also OC out of the box) for sli (lots of vsynch issues ahead) and another HDD later

The Earnmax has 2 12v rails with 18A on each

Any help would be nice.
    It could be ok but it will be running near, if not full load.
    Cheers

Advertisement