Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old West Clare railway line.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

godfrey wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to do that johnam.

G

Not a problem. It is actually pretty easy to follow the tracks from Ennis out as far as Lahinch. Unfortunately the picture on google maps is cloudy for a while after Lahinch, but by picking up the line at Moyasta and following it backwards, you can make a fairly good guess of where the line goes through the clouds. I have finished the route as far as Kilrush and Kilkee on the map. I presume the link in my last post is still valid, but if not here it is again.

There are quite a few houses / sheds built on the line, but for a cycle route, this would not be an issue. The route does not have to follow the tracks exactly, as long as the majority of the route is not mixed with main road traffic, I think it could be a huge success for tourism in the area.

Edit: looking at the map on my phone, it appears like google doesn't keep the line exactly where I placed it. But you can see where the tracks ran by looking for the lines in the hedgerows, or bridges over rivers etc close to my line is on the map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Deagol

i have a yard smack bang in the middle of it and a hundred yard away is a garage of a house on it. Going to make it very difficult

One thing I've wondered is how did the track route become private property after the railway was decommissioned? Did people have to purchase the land from CIE?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

Deagol wrote: »
    One thing I've wondered is how did the track route become private property after the railway was decommissioned? Did people have to purchase the land from CIE?

From here
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/heritage/pdfs/west_clare_railway_line_feasibility_study_2006.pdf

After its closure the railwayline was sold off during the 1960’s to adjoining landowners
    for a nominal sum. Search of the records at the railway offices reveal that the land was
    distributed into approximately 336 different holdings, varying in length size of between
    20 metres and 800 metres with the average line-length of holding between 100-150
    metres. Less than 10% of the line is now owned by C.I.E.s successor Iarnrod Eireann.
    The fragmentation of the ownership is a significant barrier to be oversome and should not
    be underestimated. International experience and experience in West Limerick has shown
    that where the land has remained in the ownership of the railway company there are still
    problems of encroachment and objections by adjoining land owners. In this case the land
    has been sold off for nearly 40 years and this will present a significant problem requiring
    lengthy negotiations with both legal owners and illegal occupiers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

^^^
    You can be sure that some pieces of fetid swamp-land suddenly become very valuable pieces of prime land that the owner has extremely close and sentimental bonds with and it would rend his heart in two parting with it and he couldn't possibly ever consider it, though at the right price...
    And of course others might just not sell for no particular reason other than to be generally obstinate and of course in some cases it might really not be practically feasible.
    My guess is, the line cannot and will not ever be resurrected in it's original form. Some detours will be in there, in the end it's all about compromise. And on the other hand, the government is always very quick to trumpet big, shiny and ambitious plans (how many broadband schemes have there been going back to the 90's?), but following through, spending the money and (this is the biggest problem IMO) doing the actual work (Lord bless us and save us!) are the biggest issues surrounding any exciting new idea (or brainfart) of well-meaning, but ultimately weak-willed officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

From here
    http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/heritage/pdfs/west_clare_railway_line_feasibility_study_2006.pdf

After its closure the railwayline was sold off during the 1960’s to adjoining landowners
    for a nominal sum. Search of the records at the railway offices reveal that the land was
    distributed into approximately 336 different holdings, varying in length size of between
    20 metres and 800 metres with the average line-length of holding between 100-150
    metres. Less than 10% of the line is now owned by C.I.E.s successor Iarnrod Eireann.
    The fragmentation of the ownership is a significant barrier to be oversome and should not
    be underestimated. International experience and experience in West Limerick has shown
    that where the land has remained in the ownership of the railway company there are still
    problems of encroachment and objections by adjoining land owners. In this case the land
    has been sold off for nearly 40 years and this will present a significant problem requiring
    lengthy negotiations with both legal owners and illegal occupiers.

A fair challenge ahead but in the case of the cliffs of moher the landowners get a payment each year for allowing use of their land.

The kilkee moyasta kilrush section looks reasonably free of houses and best opportunity given large population each end, railway related tourism project in the middle, and said railway project already having access to sections of the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Unless a significant portion of the locals are behind any greenway, or at least well disposed to it including landowners and business interests, all it will be is a pipe dream promoted by a few busybodies and outsiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Council have already done the bit from Ennis to Lees road amenity park. None of it is on the original line.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭johnam

ger664 wrote: »
    Council have already done the bit from Ennis to Lees road amenity park. None of it is on the original line.

Ya, that bit doesn't make sense to me. Why build a cycle lane and then ask cyclist to dismount when crossing roads on 5 occasions over the space of 3 or 4km. I think they should have tried use the track bed and done some work on the river bridge to bring the route from Lees rd. in the Gort road, at least then would have only been one road crossing, and a cycle lane could have been placed on the Gort rd. as against sharing a footpath with pedestrians in an area where people already use the footpath as a parking space.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Red Clover

This discussion is like Hamlet with the Prince. Jackie Whelan owns Moyasta Junction and is doing his best to get the trains running again. He has a short bit of track open through Shragh bog on which he has a train running for tourist rides. He even got permission to lay tracks across the N67 Kilkee-Kilrush road. He has a large amount of engines and rolling stock and has planning permission to build a Railway Museum. As all this is on his own property he doesn't have any impediments. One farmer I spoke to says that his land is very soft (it is a corcass) and he uses the old line which is raised to get his tractor from field to field. Hard to see a man like him giving up this. A walking route and cycling route would work out well.Tourist interests in Kilkee have met Jackie Whelan and as far as I know discussions are progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Red Clover wrote: »
    Hard to see a man like him giving up this.

He wouldn't have to though. He would be paid to allow access to his land. The raised bed could be widened to enable use by train, tractor, cyclists and pedestrians.

Advertisement