Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor (all disused sections)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

Is that bridge south or north of Ballyglunin station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

eastwest wrote: »
    Is that bridge south or north of Ballyglunin station?

South

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

westtip wrote: »
    wouldn't worry to much about that they can throw in simple foot/cycle bridge across that gap, pity though to see the historic rail infrastructure taken down - that will be one of the key features of the greenway when it is built.

Would prefer to see existing bridge size width retained for the Greenway rather than a narrower foot/cycle bridge which would most likely get installed.

Anybody know why exactly Irish Rail not bothered? More work for them if they have to get involved - even though moneys should be coming from the NRA budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Anybody know why exactly Irish Rail not bothered?

because shur itl be grand is their attitude for everything

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Anybody know why exactly Irish Rail not bothered?

1. Less of an insurance liability if bridge is taken down

2. Irish rail have no interest in extending the Western Rail Corridor

3. they couldn't give a flying f*ck about it

1. Less of an insurance liability if bridge is taken down

2. Irish rail have no interest in extending the Western Rail Corridor

3. they couldn't give a flying f*ck about it
    they should be forced to care that something that could benefit a potential greenway is being destroyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

it rather flies in the face of a Greenway protecting the formation

Pete2k wrote: »
    South

Then a choo-choo 'quiet man' tourist train (the only train we're likely to see on the Tuam-Athenry line in our lifetimes) would have to run from Tuam to Ballyglunin, and not from Athenry to Ballyglunin?
    Did someone from Tuam make the decision to take down the bridge? ;-)

It doesn't really; the only break in the alignment is a bridge, which could in theory be rebuilt if they decided to put trains back on the route. There would be no question of part of the route slipping into private hands because a bridge was taken down; that problem lies elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

I thought there was talk of running "a train*" down that section recently.

*By train it could be an inspection car, track machine etc.

At the very least they should be running something over these sections now and again to protest alignment. South Wexford, Foynes, Kingscourt, Athenry - Claremorris.

Anything that saw traffic in the last 10 years, just to stop encroachment.

• Advertisement

elastico wrote: »
    I thought there was talk of running "a train*" down that section recently.

*By train it could be an inspection car, track machine etc.

At the very least they should be running something over these sections now and again to protest alignment. South Wexford, Foynes, Kingscourt, Athenry - Claremorris.

Anything that saw traffic in the last 10 years, just to stop encroachment.

I think that the exact word that the CIE representative used in the most recent Sinn Fein meeting of the Transport Committee in the Oireachtas wasn't 'train', it was 'unit'.
    Maybe they meant one of these. https://www.google.ie/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.disneystore.com%2Fvehicles-rc-toys-toys-mickey-mouse-wood-blocks-stacking-train-set%2Fmp%2F1316205%2F1000268%2F&ei=d3mOVd3dE8O0UcaOgfgM&bvm=bv.96783405,d.d24&psig=AFQjCNE4fA31RxInIqEqA-jNVHhO-ZnOIg&ust=1435486947254263

there;'s a problem with that link

plenty of road-railers around nowadays

there;'s a problem with that link

plenty of road-railers around nowadays

That jump about 40 foot?

That is why the Western Rail Trail Campaign sent out a press release on the matter yesterday:
    Press release From: The Western Rail Trail Campaign
    Date: June 26th 2015: FOR IMMEDIATE USE (353 words)
    Built heritage and infrastructure ideally needs to be maintained for greenway

Alternative footbridge for greenway should be considered if no other option open to NRA

Road scheme should happen but a footbridge may be the answer

The Western Rail Trail campaign is urging all Galway county councillors to make representation to Galway county council executive and planning department to either protect the structure of the bridge over the N63 on the closed railway line at Ballglunin Bridge or to propose that the NRA construct a simple footbridge to replace the bridge when the N63 is widened. Recent reports in The Tuam Herald have highlighted that the bridge is to be taken down as part of NRA plans to widen the N63.

The roadworks project at a cost of €5 million may be put in jeopardy if the railway bridge has to be kept.

Galway county councillors and the Galway county executive know the Department of Transport has no plans to re-open the railway north of Athenry. On June 22nd Minister Donohoe confirmed by email to the Western Rail Trail campaign that the Government has no plans to re-open any railway lines for either passenger or freight, and in December 2014 the Minister and Taoiseach clearly stated the Government has no plans to re-open the Western Rail corridor and the Department preference is for a greenway to protect the route.

Brendan Quinn of the Western Rail Trail campaign said “The council members are aware the Government has no plans to re-open the railway and that the preferred option of the Department and of Irish Rail is to place a greenway on the route from Athenry to Sligo. If the bridge has to come down to accommodate the road widening we are asking that a footbridge should be put in place straight away for the greenway; it would make sense to do it now not later”
    Quinn added “Historic railway infrastructure plays a huge part in the attractiveness of closed railways converted to greenways throughout the world, but in this case if it is not possible to retain the existing bridge a simple footbridge should be put in place when the work is done by the NRA. The greenway campaign welcomes the work to be completed on the N63 but want to ensure the greenway is not jeopardised as well.”
    ENDS: main body text 353 words

That jump about 40 foot?

that DRIVE 40 feet....or divert via the nearest road access points (but you knew that)

that DRIVE 40 feet....or divert via the nearest road access points (but you knew that)

I liked the 'jump' idea better. Up there with fantasy stuff like the 'western arc' !

oh yeah.....take a run at it ....yeeee haaaaarrrr ohhhhh shiitttt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If Galway CC decide they would rather have the bridge than the road I don't know what to say to them. Hopefully the NRA will spend the cash in another county rather than give them an option elsewhere in Galway. The line is just as severed by the bridge as it is by the disconnected switch in Athenry and with road-rail maintenance vehicles it's not as if it can't be inspected.

While the issue might seem pressing to the locals there are easily higher priorities for IE to spend any available capital Euros on in the West like closing or automating manual crossings on operational lines because people simply cannot be trusted to follow basic instructions like "close the gate behind you". There's no money for Tuam if it's spent in Mayo you say? Well, it isn't there when it is lost because IE collided with yet another car and the punters decide they're taking a bus next time.

Interestingly, while looking at the line in Google Maps I see that Google has given up on the line, with the representation disappearing south of Ballyglunin towards Athenry. Someone tell the council how to switch to Bing Search and Outlook.com mail!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Letter of support from Senator Lorraine Higgins in today's Irish Times.

• Advertisement

At least one politician has brains (and balls)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

dowlingm wrote: »
    If Galway CC decide they would rather have the bridge than the road I don't know what to say to them. Hopefully the NRA will spend the cash in another county rather than give them an option elsewhere in Galway. The line is just as severed by the bridge as it is by the disconnected switch in Athenry and with road-rail maintenance vehicles it's not as if it can't be inspected.

While the issue might seem pressing to the locals there are easily higher priorities for IE to spend any available capital Euros on in the West like closing or automating manual crossings on operational lines because people simply cannot be trusted to follow basic instructions like "close the gate behind you". There's no money for Tuam if it's spent in Mayo you say? Well, it isn't there when it is lost because IE collided with yet another car and the punters decide they're taking a bus next time.

Interestingly, while looking at the line in Google Maps I see that Google has given up on the line, with the representation disappearing south of Ballyglunin towards Athenry. Someone tell the council how to switch to Bing Search and Outlook.com mail!

I think you'll find it was an idiot who collided with the train not the other way around.

i doubt the train veered across a field to make contact!

That is why the Western Rail Trail Campaign sent out a press release on the matter yesterday:

And got coverage on GalwayBayFM on the matter,

June 29th Galway Bay fm newsroom – The County Council is being urged to request the National Roads Authority to protect Ballyglunin bridge on the N63 or install a new footbridge at the same location. etc..... read it at this link
    http://galwaybayfm.ie/greenway-campaign-wants-ballyglunin-rail-bridge-protected-replaced/

and also in Connacht Tribune the same report

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

i doubt the train veered across a field to make contact!

No, but the train was already on the crossing when the muppet ran into the side of it.............complete moron car driver.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

well that takes the biscuit!

• Advertisement

better not be critical here folks, as soon it might be illegal
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/04/21/what-are-they-playing-at-part-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

random_guy wrote: »
    More Western Region than Western Rail:

e-tenders

If my memory serves me correctly this came out last week or comes out this week.

dowlingm wrote: »
    better not be critical here folks, as soon it might be illegal
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/04/21/what-are-they-playing-at-part-2/

"grossly offensive" not "critical"

If my memory serves me correctly this came out last week or comes out this week.

It's due around now, but unlikely to surface yet, based on previous surveys around this issue, where attempts were allegedly made to bury survey results that didn't come up with the required result. So they might have had to send it back to the consultants for revision if it didn't come up with a pro-rail outcome.
    My bet would be that it will surface in September, and that it will find in favour of opening the railway all the way to donegal.

"grossly offensive" not "critical"
    For many politicians that's a distinction without a difference.

• Advertisement

Pie in the sky? Never a truer word was spoken on this entire debacle. Senator Higgins is really listening to the people in Tuam and Athenry now. What chance the other TDs and Senators around there will start telling the truth as well?

http://www.lorrainehiggins.ie/newsmedia/2015/07/06/trains-on-the-mayogalway-rail-corridor-is-pie-in-t/#.VZvFN-9RHX5

a bit of money for the Foynes Rail Link.
    MASSIVE FILE - page 150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Work starting on the closed line from Colloney to Enniskillen to turn it into a greenway.

http://oceanfm.ie/old-railway-between-collooney-and-enniskillen-to-be-transformed/

a bit of money for the Foynes Rail Link.
    MASSIVE FILE - page 150

The most critical thing about this document as far as the subject of this thread is concerned is that the western rail corridor - this is the defacto implementation of European TEN-T policy, and the simply truth is if a project is not in TEN-T policy it will not get into the Connecting European Facility (CEF) list of projects. Foynes was I believe part of TEN-T policy, the Western Rail Corridor was not. The CEF project based on TEN-T policy is a 15 year project taking transport infrastructure planning upto to 2030.

So yes it is good to see Foynes is being connected to the Rail Network - or at least that project is in the system, however it has absolutely no relevance to any hope of the Western Rail Corridor being opened up any further north of Athenry, because let's be clear about this, TEN-T policy is the only show in town when it comes to funding railways in Ireland.

The document shows the annual call for funding from all EU member governments for projects deemed strategically important in each state and which fit EU benefits criteria, there are several projects which the Irish Government have called for funding; This is the only way structural funds can be secured, and the most noticeable thing about this is that The Department of Transport Tourism and sport did not even entertain submitting a proposal on the WRC. All the more reason to realise - the project is dead in the water and those politicians blocking the greenway (Galway and Mayo Coco) are poorly briefed on the reality of the situation. The need to be informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

The document shows the annual call for funding from all EU member governments for projects deemed strategically important in each state and which fit EU benefits criteria, there are several projects which the Irish Government have called for funding; This is the only way structural funds can be secured, and the most noticeable thing about this is that The Department of Transport Tourism and sport did not even entertain submitting a proposal on the WRC. All the more reason to realise - the project is dead in the water and those politicians blocking the greenway (Galway and Mayo Coco) are poorly briefed on the reality of the situation. The need to be informed.

I'd suggest they are well informed, and I don't think that's the issue. I doubt there's a single Mayo Councillor that isn't fully aware of the facts. That isn't the problem.
    The problem is parish pump politics. If one councillor in an area (call him Councillor A) follows logic and supports the greenway project, he or she stands a good chance of being accused of being a traitor and of being against the railway, which councillor B can then promise to deliver if the voters support him and not A.
    In politics, particularly local politics, you'll achieve nothing by being truthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,209 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

eastwest wrote: »
    I'd suggest they are well informed, and I don't think that's the issue. I doubt there's a single Mayo Councillor that isn't fully aware of the facts. That isn't the problem.
    The problem is parish pump politics. If one councillor in an area (call him Councillor A) follows logic and supports the greenway project, he or she stands a good chance of being accused of being a traitor and of being against the railway, which councillor B can then promise to deliver if the voters support him and not A.
    In politics, particularly local politics, you'll achieve nothing by being truthful.

A wonderful sum up of how it works in general nationwide, when it comes to certain projects.

The one thing that boils my blood is the absolute blindness that some people display when it comes to Irish politicians and rail transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,717 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I am a strong supporter of railways.

I agree that Claremorris northwards will never re-open and should be turned into a greenway.

I do feel that Claremorris southwards could be viable.

However, I accept that this cause has been lost, and there is no sign of Athenry to Claremorris being reopened.

Can I ask this: if Claremorris to Athenry is turned into a greenway, can it be done in such a way that a future re-opening of the railway is not made impossible?

Viable for what may I ask?

Geuze wrote: »

I agree that Claremorris northwards will never re-open and should be turned into a greenway.

However, I accept that this cause has been lost, and there is no sign of Athenry to Claremorris being reopened.

Can I ask this: if Claremorris to Athenry is turned into a greenway, can it be done in such a way that a future re-opening of the railway is not made impossible?
    it can. of course what would happen if it was ever decided to put a railway on it i don't know. for me, the only reason it shouldn't be reopened is simply that more parts of the network will be shut to reopen it. this is based on a genuine belief that as far as i'm concerned has all ready been proven. i believe those who predicted lines sacrificed for the WRC to be right. if you can, dig up the old WRC thread and have a read, its most likely all in there. some stuff in here as well on the very early pages

• Advertisement

So am I but only viable projects

So do Sligo county council and the Department of Transport and many other political observers, sadly its not yet come to fruition.

An interesting personal view and much debated, but not the view of the Department of Transport, nor more importantly European TEN-T transport policy which is now in place until 2030. However both Mayo and Galway County councils seem to think they will overthrow Major European infrastructure policy now in place and cast in stone.

You can indeed ask that question, it's fully accepted by Irish Rail and the department of Transport that this is the preferred option, Unfortunately it won't happen whilst we have the option to do nothing and keep muttering about the potential for the railway and placate the greenway campaigners that it might happen. Fob off both, kick the can down the road. This is the preferred political "solution" .....Do nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

mayo.mick wrote: »

Out of interest, when the Government announced the spending of some hundreds of millions on the Atlantic corridor motorway linking Gort with Tuam, did any of these advocates for environmental transport object?

Did any of them argue for the redirection of these funds to the rail corridor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

There are a few things which make things like that utterly laughable;
    1. It is hardly a missing link, they are linked into the national rail network already, they just want another link
    2. Of the ports they want to connect to; Foynes is not currently on the rail network, Cork is currently relocating to Ringaskiddy and any savings to Waterford are negligible
    3. The opening of Claremorris - Athenry would probably be at the expense of another currently operational line, most likely Athenry - Ennis which would remove all the benefits they suggest

Passenger and freight movements to/from Mayo would benefit far more from improvements to the existing track between Claremorris and Portarlington than the reopening of Claremorris - Athenry, it would also be cheaper and more likely to get funding.

quite corect. In my opinion it would actually harm rail traffic to Mayo to add more expense in maintaining two routes.

All greenway contracts on CIE property are done on a permissive access basis. So, if it is decided in ten or twenty years time that a railway is again viable, CIE can build one on the alignment without asking anyone, essentially. It would be hoped that at that stage the greenway would be so important economically to the region that it would then be rebuilt alongside the railway as part of the construction project for the railway. There might not be room for both at narrow points like under road bridges etc., but diversions could be incorporated at that stage. In the meantime, the greenway would have maintained the ownership of the asset in State hands and prevented adverse possession of sections of it.
    So, why not build the greenway alongside the old line now? There is an argument for this if the reopening of the line is imminent, but if it isn't, the eyesore of a rotting railway does nothing for the appearance of the route. More importantly, the cheapest option for greenway construction is to use the existing stone ballast as a base; it simply needs the rails lifted and the stone levelled and blinded, and avoids the need to build footbridges to bypass existing narrow rail bridges. Running the greenway along the track-bed also preserves the entire rail route, including the narrow stretches where an 'alongside' greenway would not be built.
    If a railway is ever built on the route in question, the existing tracks will have to be lifted and the ballast replaced in any case. The insistence by the pro-rail lobby on keeping the rotting tracks in situ is purely symbolic, and that line of thinking tends to suit politicians who don't want to see anything happen in case it offends one side or the other. Politically speaking, the best case scenario is the continued loss of the asset.

They clearly haven't read European TEN-T policy, no doubt this statement is part of the warm up act for a fudged report from the Western Development Commission which was due two months ago but has not yet been released, you may recall the commissioned report into freight traffic in the west which we are guessing will come out with all the old arguments about some mythical demand for freight from Claremorris to Athenry......We await this piece of prose.

They clearly haven't read European TEN-T policy, no doubt this statement is part of the warm up act for a fudged report from the Western Development Commission which was due two months ago but has not yet been released, you may recall the commissioned report into freight traffic in the west which we are guessing will come out with all the old arguments about some mythical demand for freight from Claremorris to Athenry......We await this piece of prose.

September apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm struggling to figure out what the savings are between a freight-only line and a passenger and freight line as alluded to in the article. The cost of a couple of stations is minimal in the grand scheme, I don't think there could be any expensive safety features but am open to correction on that.

They also mention the problems of the single track to Portarlington but surely they're not proposing a double track here? Was that section originally double-tracked?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The train line to Navan/Tara is freight only; I presume its run to a much lower safety level, where only the driver's life is at risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement