Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society Outing - Ballykisteen Golf Club 24th May 12:00PM

• 22-04-2014 11:58am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Round 4 is upon us already and we are heading back to the scene of our inaugural captains day back in 2012. Another course I am looking forward to returning to as it was in excellent condition last time we were there and from recent reports it is still maintaining the high standards we have come accustomed to!

view_to_Ballykisteen_hotel_from_golf_course.png

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Round 4 is upon us already and we are heading back to the scene of our inaugural captains day back in 2012. Another course I am looking forward to returning to as it was in excellent condition last time we were there and from recent reports it is still maintaining the high standards we have come accustomed to!

view_to_Ballykisteen_hotel_from_golf_course.png

nice hole that one, the 8th wasn't it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It is.

I can make this. First Boards outing of the year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

as far as i remember isn't the 18th over water too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

as far as i remember isn't the 18th over water too?

There is a small pond about 50 yards before the 18th green alright. (Ive put many a ball in there!!)
    That's definitely the 8th though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

I know its a long was off but gonna request a spot out in first group. Have a do to get to back home in the evening.

• Advertisement

scrubber72 wrote: »
    I know its a long was off but gonna request a spot out in first group. Have a do to get to back home in the evening.

5 shot penalty for leaving early!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    (just cause your second in the GOTY!!!)

5 shot penalty for leaving early!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D
    (just cause your second in the GOTY!!!)

Couldn't cut me. I am likely to only have 4points the way i am playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Macker1

Looks like an interesting course. Never played it and its a fair distance to travel but should be able to make it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Was thinking of taking the family down for the night but looks like the hotel is booked out. Not sure I fancy a 3 hour drive and then golf.

Any other decent hotels nearby?

J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Was thinking of taking the family down for the night but looks like the hotel is booked out. Not sure I fancy a 3 hour drive and then golf.

J

I've a Stag in Lahinch afterwards if you fancy it :)

• Advertisement

J

Not really J. Dundrum is probably the closest. Did you try the lodges?

BallyK what is the meaning behind this net that they have put in on the first cutting off half the fairway on the tee shot? I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I thought the OOB left was much better solution to the problem they had. Was there people complaining about the OOB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PARlance wrote: »
    I've a Stag in Lahinch afterwards if you fancy it :)

fancy it ? I'm there!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

kiers47 wrote: »
    BallyK what is the meaning behind this net that they have put in on the first cutting off half the fairway on the tee shot? I thought it was a bit ridiculous.

I thought the OOB left was much better solution to the problem they had. Was there people complaining about the OOB?

It wasn't by choice kiers47, after the legal case with the people across the road they were forced to put in the net if they wanted to have the tee box back there. If you fade the ball the whole fairway is still in play! :D In fact I've still managed to put it in the right hand rough..

Needless to say I'll be at this event.

Think its an iron off the first now BallyK?

You could be struggling to hit the green in two if you hit an iron off the first. I don't know the exact distance that the first plays these days but it's probably around 350 yards so if you hit an iron 170 or 180 off the tee you would have a similar distance for your second across the water.

You would probably be better hitting a wood or a rescue and leaving yourself 100-120 yards for your second shot.

ballyk wrote: »
    You could be struggling to hit the green in two if you hit an iron off the first. I don't know the exact distance that the first plays these days but it's probably around 350 yards so if you hit an iron 170 or 180 off the tee you would have a similar distance for your second across the water.

You would probably be better hitting a wood or a rescue and leaving yourself 100-120 yards for your second shot.

I hit a 3wood there last Saturday and had 100yds or so left albeit in the left rough.

I love the way we spend so much time thinking about our first tee shot :D

I myself, could be thinking about it for days in advance, the other 89 never get a look in :P

Driver it is so!! :D

I love the way we spend so much time thinking about our first tee shot :D

I myself, could be thinking about it for days in advance, the other 89 never get a look in :P
    Only 89, planning having a good round so?:P

Only 89, planning having a good round so?:P

That's 89 shots, might hit the tonne with penalties thrown in :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Can't make this one unfortunately, at a wedding that day. Enjoy lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Is the pro still there? She was a pure legend!

Charlie you should prob just bring your driver and putter, you don't need any other club considering how well you hit it!!

@ballyk don't you know us boardsies hit 7 irons over 200 yards :-p

ssbob wrote: »

Charlie you should prob just bring your driver and putter, you don't need any other club considering how well you hit it!!

I'm looking forward to meeting up with the younger pro again!
    The 12 year old that was giving me swing tips at the driving range the last time we were down there.

I'm looking forward to meeting up with the younger pro again!
    The 12 year old that was giving me swing tips at the driving range the last time we were down there.

Hahaha forgot about that!! Thats why I went down to the mats below, the way some of those kids were hitting balls was amazing!

Hahaha forgot about that!! Thats why I went down to the mats below, the way some of those kids were hitting balls was amazing!

The worst thing about it was that he was dead right about my faults.
    Can't remember exactly how he left the lesson but he said something like "there's some potential there"....
    Holy god, thanks and good luck in secondary school young lad :)

She sure is. She's got another pro working with her now.

Apologies, I forgot I was talking to boardsies who are all superhuman folders and would all have no problem doing a Bubba Watson hitting 366 yard drives! :D

There's a girl who is always on the driving range, she hits it so well it would nearly make you cry ! She is an Irish international though.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

fixit did you book concra woods ? i have only noticed it,s on the same weekend as ballykisteen going to be a lot of driving for me:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

tigerwood1 wrote: »
    fixit did you book concra woods ? i have only noticed it,s on the same weekend as ballykisteen going to be a lot of driving for me:eek:

Went off and had a look at the date - I have something on that day.

What time you going Tiger ?

Will talk to lad who has organised the thing I'm going to.

• Advertisement

That'd be the Greystones training :) We miss ya Marion :)

stevieob wrote: »
    That'd be the Greystones training :) We miss ya Marion :)

Your loss was our gain there :) She has done a great job at Ballykisteen and is well liked by all the members. She has put a huge amount of work into the juvenile set up at the club as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Went off and had a look at the date - I have something on that day.

What time you going Tiger ?

Will talk to lad who has organised the thing I'm going to.

15:00 i pmed you.

Your loss was our gain there :) She has done a great job at Ballykisteen and is well liked by all the members. She has put a huge amount of work into the juvenile set up at the club as well.

What can I say.....she learnt from the best.....

I remember when I was a junior in greystones, on a good week we would have 20 out. I think it's anywhere between 60 and 100 now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Just checking out directions to get there and noticed Limerick junction train station seems to be just a short walk from the course. Golf followed by pints? :rolleyes:

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Just checking out directions to get there and noticed Limerick junction train station seems to be just a short walk from the course. Golf followed by pints? :rolleyes:

A few lads got the train down the last time RR, good option in fairness, I'm driving to a stag straight afterwards so I won't be too jealous

• Advertisement

It's a 10minute at least walk id say. If you need a lift from the train let me know I could probably collect you. Save you lugging the gear around.

Definitely an idea. It would take about 12 minutes to walk it with the clubs but I can collect you from the station if you decide to do that. You have a bar in the hotel, a bar between the hotel and the station (The Bit and Bridle) and another bar not too far away (The Hideout) which is owned by the Vice Captain of the club so you have a few places to choose from!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭the greatest game

Just to say, I played ballykisteen yesterday morning.

I have played it a few times, not too far from me.

Anyway... I have to say it is one of the most underrated courses in Ireland, the only bad thing I will say is the first hole.. they had an issue with the tee shots going out to a bondary house, and have had guide the tee box out to the severe left, so its a 5/6 iron off the 1st, and then a log iron to the green.
    The rest of the course is fantastic, great fairways, good greens, water, lots of trees, the galtee mountains looking down at you, good par 3's
    the course is reasonably flat , bar 2 -3 holes with gradual hills.
    A seriously good course that gets forgotten about.

PS you can join it for 630 - with gym and pool inc ..mad.

Saw a woman pro there yesterday giving putting lessons to a woman,

She was the kind of pro, that when she spoke you listened, well able to instruct, I was tempted to go over and seek her out ...
    A friendly lady, not like some of the gob****e male pro's out there.

Ah well feck it i am gonna miss this now. Found out the do i am going to is for me (getting old now) so can't have the possibility of missing it. Won't be back to society until roscrea. :-(

• Advertisement

Just to say, I played ballykisteen yesterday morning.

I have played it a few times, not too far from me.

Anyway... I have to say it is one of the most underrated courses in Ireland, the only bad thing I will say is the first hole.. they had an issue with the tee shots going out to a bondary house, and have had guide the tee box out to the severe left, so its a 5/6 iron off the 1st, and then a log iron to the green.
    The rest of the course is fantastic, great fairways, good greens, water, lots of trees, the galtee mountains looking down at you, good par 3's
    the course is reasonably flat , bar 2 -3 holes with gradual hills.
    A seriously good course that gets forgotten about.

PS you can join it for 630 - with gym and pool inc ..mad.

If you join it early you get 100 euro credit in the bar/restaurant and four green fee vouchers for use mid-week. The levy brings it to 699, but if you knock off the above items it's not bad value and easy to get a game there whenever you want (even at weekends).

Saw a woman pro there yesterday giving putting lessons to a woman,

She was the kind of pro, that when she spoke you listened, well able to instruct, I was tempted to go over and seek her out ...
    A friendly lady, not like some of the gob****e male pro's out there.

That'd be Marion, the head club pro. She is a highly regarded coach and has done a lot of coaching with Munster interprovincial teams. She is a fine golfer in her own right being a former Irish international and also the first woman to qualify to play in the Irish PGA against Padraig Harrington et al.

She looked to professional to be a local :-)

But I must say, I was struck by her direct and friendly style.

Always have been wary of lessons, but my brother in law is an accountant and he has always thought it folly the way I waste money on new drivers etc, when lessons would sort out fundamental issues.

I need a strong woman in my life, she could be it....fix me please ...i've been a bad boy.
    That'd be Marion, the head club pro. She is a highly regarded coach and has done a lot of coaching with Munster interprovincial teams. She is a fine golfer in her own right being a former Irish international and also the first woman to qualify to play in the Irish PGA against Padraig Harrington et al.

She looked to professional to be a local :-)

But I must say, I was struck by her direct and friendly style.

Always have been wary of lessons, but my brother in law is an accountant and he has always thought it folly the way I waste money on new drivers etc, when lessons would sort out fundamental issues.

I need a strong woman in my life, she could be it....fix me please ...i've been a bad boy.

She's a local born and bred!

I think your brother in law is right, more often than not lessons are a better investment than new equipment. I got one lesson last year and got my handicap down 3 shots. Had been having trouble with my drivers while back but I reckon it was a weak grip which led me to slice it. I strengthened the grip and have been hitting it much straighter since.

Teamer text / email should be gone to everyone there now.

Played the course today, greens were nice and fast as they had been cut down fairly low. It should be in good shape for the 24th hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Is there still time for me to come along?
    Birthday is the day before so it'd be a nice day out

I'll be driving down from Dublin if anyone needs a lift.
    Heading to Lahinch afterwards so not much use to you on the way back though.

If anyone is down early and is looking for something to do the first round of the Pierce Purcell is on in Tipp Golf Club that morning. Ballykisteen are playing Thurles starting at 9am and Templemore are playing Clonmel at 9.40am. I plan on heading in to support Ballykisteen for a while before our outing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Just declined there. Wife has fractured her wrist so I'm a full time carer for the next 4 weeks and it wouldn't be fair to her to be gone for 10ish hours ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement