Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time private versus public care

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Regarding using the pool after waters have broken I'm not sure... However, i was of the belief that once waters have gone its showers only as baths/pools were more likely to be an infection risk. I was informed of this in 2012..... So perhaps guidelines gave changed since then?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Regarding using the pool after waters have broken I'm not sure... However, i was of the belief that once waters have gone its showers only as baths/pools were more likely to be an infection risk. I was informed of this in 2012..... So perhaps guidelines gave changed since then?

Well at my antenatal class on holles St 2 weeks ago we were told no baths once waters had broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

January wrote: »
    I've read about NMH moving to Vincents, Rotunda moving to the Mater and the Coombe moving to Tallaght so much in the past ten years that when it does actually happen I'll be so surprised my eyebrows will probably fly off the top of my head.

I think the babies we're all pregnant with will be hearing the same stories of the "move to x, y,z being imminent".
    I work in the health service sector and its a long way off anything happening.
    When I was waiting for my consultant appointment in the Coombe last week two women who work there were all chat about the planned ward extension for the Coombe starting in September.
    If thats true it leaves any move to one of the major teaching hospitals even further away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Well at my antenatal class on holles St 2 weeks ago we were told no baths once waters had broken.

Probably because of the risk of raising the babys temp. And causing foetal distresss.
    Waters have broken there is no protective barrier .
    They obviously have researched big into it and dont want further complications

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Probably because of the risk of raising the babys temp. And causing foetal distresss.
    Waters have broken there is no protective barrier .
    They obviously have researched big into it and dont want further complications

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

I think it really depends where you live. Only the one maternity dept in galway city so straight off it's a public hospital. They have only private (single room) and semi private (really large4bed rooms) rooms. I attended the midwives clinic the first time and im doing the same this time. They are absolutely excellent and I couldnt fault them. The waiting times were never an issue either, in and out in less than 30mins. Unlike the doctors clinic.

We have health insurance so most of cost would have been covered but the way I saw it was, the midwives are the ones that deliver the babies and the docs are there when needed. We had a few hairy moments at the end when delivering our first little woman and the docs, paediatrician and midwives were all there within mins. And if I had gone private, my consultant wouldn't even have been there to deliver as she was on holidays at the time of the birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I'm going midwife led in galway too. I'm 35 weeks and so far I can't praise the highly enough. I also have health insurance but would have to pay a few grand on top of that for private care. I'm going to spend the money on some unpaid leave instead

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

That's exactly what I said... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

That's mad they actually sent me home to have a bath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

That's exactly what I said... Lol

Yeah sorry I was referring to milliem's post! Not sure why I quoted yours since we were agreeing - can I blame baby brain yet?!

Milliem it's mad the way we got differing advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Millem wrote: »
    That's mad they actually sent me home to have a bath!

I was told not to have a bath, only a shower, and was put on antibiotics in case of infection. This was in HS about eight months ago.

Yeah sorry I was referring to milliem's post! Not sure why I quoted yours since we were agreeing - can I blame baby brain yet?!

Milliem it's mad the way we got differing advice!

Maybe it's just domino? They told us at antenatal to turn the immersion on for the bath when your contractions start! The wanted us to stay at home till 3cm whereas my mother was terrified I would end up having baby in the house she insisted I go in after my waters broke! But they sent me home and have a bath!

Millem wrote: »
    Maybe it's just domino? They told us at antenatal to turn the immersion on for the bath when your contractions start! The wanted us to stay at home till 3cm whereas my mother was terrified I would end up having baby in the house she insisted I go in after my waters broke! But they sent me home and have a bath!

We were informed not to bath after waters gone due to infection risk as the barrier (waters) was no longer there. I can't see how that rationale for not bathing would be any different on the domino tho!? Lol... It's not like the domino patients have higher immunity than other patients!! Lols. Really interested to know the reason tho!

We were informed not to bath after waters gone due to infection risk as the barrier (waters) was no longer there. I can't see how that rationale for not bathing would be any different on the domino tho!? Lol... It's not like the domino patients have higher immunity than other patients!! Lols. Really interested to know the reason tho!

I didn't mean that domino had higher immunity lol! I meant more because they are so into natural pain relief. The bath thing was definately in my handout. Also my friend had baby with MLU in drogheda and she definately stayed in pool until 10cm, then just got out to push

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

At our antenatal class the midwife discussed this, she said bathing at home once your waters had gone was ok as likelihood for infection in your own home was low. However she didnt recommend using the communal hospital baths once waters were gone as you wouldnt know how regularly they were cleaned.

dustie1 wrote: »
    At our antenatal class the midwife discussed this, she said bathing at home once your waters had gone was ok as likelihood for infection in your own home was low. However she didnt recommend using the communal hospital baths once waters were gone as you wouldnt know how regularly they were cleaned.

I assume this doesn't mean lots of women in labour in the one bath at the same time a la Saturday evening baths when we were kids:eek::D

I assume this doesn't mean lots of women in labour in the one bath at the same time a la Saturday evening baths when we were kids:eek::D

Cutbacks!?!

lazygal wrote: »
    Cutbacks!?!

These days you just can't be too sure:D

These days you just can't be too sure:D

I had a laugh in theatre second time. They forgot to gown me up until I pointed out I was wearing my own gear. There was a nice tension breaker (it was an emergency section) when we joked about cutbacks even for theatre gowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been discussed/answered yet. I've been told it will cost 1,200 togo semi private in the coombe with my health insurance. I saw someone mention on a thread back in 2010 that you can claim some of this back on your MED1, and claim some more somewhere else? Does anyone have any experience of claiming back off the fees? I'm currently down as Public but might change if I can claim back. As a by note, does anyone know if you can change from public to semi private ?

Hi guys, I'm not sure if this has been discussed/answered yet. I've been told it will cost 1,200 togo semi private in the coombe with my health insurance. I saw someone mention on a thread back in 2010 that you can claim some of this back on your MED1, and claim some more somewhere else? Does anyone have any experience of claiming back off the fees? I'm currently down as Public but might change if I can claim back. As a by note, does anyone know if you can change from public to semi private ?

I'm semi private in the Coombe on my first. I've been charged €750 only and I can get some back on my health insurance (Laya- health manager starter) and my Med 1. I will also have to pay for my scans which range in price from €80-€120.

I'm semi private in the Coombe on my first. I've been charged €750 only and I can get some back on my health insurance (Laya- health manager starter) and my Med 1. I will also have to pay for my scans which range in price from €80-€120.

Thanks Penny. Have just looked into it a bit more. I'm with Glo Health, they have told me I can claim back 200 of those fees. Do you mind me asking what you're allowed claim back from Laya?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Im pretty sure once you've registered as public, you cant switch to private and vice versa. I may be wrong.

Thanks Penny. Have just looked into it a bit more. I'm with Glo Health, they have told me I can claim back 200 of those fees. Do you mind me asking what you're allowed claim back from Laya?

I can claim €250 back from Laya and the whole cost of the scans. I've registered for the ante natal and physio classes too. If you haven't done so yet I'd recommend you do that very soon. I'm due in the first week in October and only did that last week. As it happens I'll miss the first of three physio classes because I'll be on holidays in June and am too late to book for May. It's no big deal but if you leave booking too late you could find yourself missing out on things that are good to have.

dizzymiss wrote: »
    Im pretty sure once you've registered as public, you cant switch to private and vice versa. I may be wrong.
    I was afraid of that! I'm actually in for my booking visit tomorrow, and having last minute jitters about going public! I feel I was very lucky last time, I went public and ended up with an emergency section and got a fairly quiet room with 3 other section ladies. The day I was leaving, about an hour before they moved about 4 other people into our room, so it was pretty packed. I think 3 days of that would be awful, so I'm having doubts about going public!
    I can claim €250 back from Laya and the whole cost of the scans. I've registered for the ante natal and physio classes too. If you haven't done so yet I'd recommend you do that very soon. I'm due in the first week in October and only did that last week. As it happens I'll miss the first of three physio classes because I'll be on holidays in June and am too late to book for May. It's no big deal but if you leave booking too late you could find yourself missing out on things that are good to have.

Thanks Penny, Laya is miles better than Glohealth by the sounds of it! Still might give them a call and see if I can change, and claim the balance with my MED1! I have a toddler so the antenatal & physio is fresh in my mind, but ur dead right, they are great to have! Might need phsyio again because I had a touch of SPD last time!

dizzymiss wrote: »

You can change. I've known of people who changed because they wanted a higher level of care than in the public system or who moved mid pregnancy and went from midwife led to consultant care. You might've a limited choice of consultants though as they have a limit on how many patients they'll take.
    Eta I'm sure once you're going private you'll be liable for fees anyway if you switch to public.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You can change anytime at all .

I called up today, more or less enquiring. Was put through to a few different people, last woman was from Semi-Private. She went to check to see if they had room, was silent for a while then told me she cancelled my public appointments and put me in with a consultant! Not sure if I definetly want this.. but I'll see how it goes tomorrow!!

• Advertisement

Good Luck:)

Advertisement