Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

first time private versus public care

Options
  • 17-04-2014 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi everyone, I just found out I am pregnant about 6 weeks gone, got it confirmed by doctor this week also so delighted. I don't have anyone I can really talk to about this just wondering about public vs private care. I have heard conflicting things is it worth it to go private.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Do you have health insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I suppose its a lot of things to consider.
    You will hear stories of both sides.
    It really depends of what you are looking for.

I went public both times goin public again.this time.
    I had great experiences of the care i recieved
    Waiting times for appointments sometimes can be a bit long nothing a good book wont solve.
    It really depends.

I have health insurance but goin public

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pinkshoes2012

I have health insurance. I am hearing it will cost me 2600 with health insurance. If there's a benefit then I will go private... But if it's only shorter appointment waiting times I am paying for then I don't know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I have health insurance. I am hearing it will cost me 2600 with health insurance. If there's a benefit then I will go private... But if it's only shorter appointment waiting times I am paying for then I don't know ?

I did domino and they level of care I got was unreal. They are amazing. But it depends on where you live and you have to have a straight forward pregnancy.

Well you're not guaranteed a private room after delivery so the only real benefit is the promise of seeing the same consultant at all visits (unless they have holidays booked during your pregnancy) and short appointment waiting times. You will be treated the same during delivery as any other woman no matter what level of care you are on, you will have a midwife for delivery unless there are complications and they will ring your consultant, whether they show up or not or send someone in their place is their choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

I posted this last year, when pregnant on my now 9 month old. I saw Michael Foley on a Monday (different consultants do different days) and his clinic is super efficient.

I've gone public in Holles st on both of mine. I'm pregnant again and was back in only this morning on my 3rd. In all 3 pregnancies I've seen the same consultant EVERY time except once when there was horrific snow and ice. Each weekday morning is covered by a different consultant. All my appointments are on a Monday and always have been since my first pregnancy. I looked up the consultants and chose Michael Foley (friends had seen him privately) so I asked for a Monday slot & am now under his care. I have never been in holles st for more than an hour except for having to do a glucose test on my last pregnancy and that was on a Friday.

I had complications with my first delivery and actually had 2 consultants there. My sister on the other hand went private in mount Carmel and her consultant wasn't there for any of her 3 deliveries. Granted it wasn't Foley but even if I was private it may not have been. Had a straightforward delivery on my second with 2 midwives.

Public in holles is 6 beds a ward. The staff are amazing. I stayed in 2 nights with both babies.and will again. I firmly believe if you're low risk, no reason to be worried about anything and you're fit and healthy that you'd be mad to go private.

Good luck and congrats. Its such an exciting time

by the way, I got a private scan in mount Carmel at 11 weeks, was seen in holles with scan at 13 weeks am back with doc at 17, big scan in holles at 21 weeks and back with consultant in holles at 25 weeks. From then it'll be 31 & 36, 38 & 40 weeks (most probably - may be a little less because of 3rd pg - but they'll all be Mondays with Foley)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Have to agree with the above poster, am going public under the care of Michael Foley.

I am in on a Monday at 8am and back sitting in my car by 830am

I am so glad I decided not to use my health insurance. Have a friend going private who has much longer waits than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Went private on both of mine, the second being in the coombe. In the coombe they have the largest proportion of private rooms so you have a higher chance of getting a room over the other public hospitals.

Appointment times were short, my consultant was at both deliveries and having a room to myself afterwards was great, enough listening to your own baby crying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Agree with others re Michael Foley - although I went public, I saw him at most of my appointments. The appointments were Mondays at 8am, I'd be sitting at my desk in work well before 9am, there was no waiting around. He wasn't there for the birth (no need for any consultant) but he did come up to the ward to see myself and the baby a couple of days afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

I'm Private in the Rotunda, much like you OP I didn't really know much about either option when I found out I was pregnant and its a hard decision to make. I like the private option, the waiting rooms are comfortable and sweet in and out in no time, I can call my consultant directly if I have a question or the private clinic midwife. A couple of things have cropped up which have made continuity of care extremely important for me so it's definitely been a bonus having that access to the consultation.

I spent four days in hospital last year for a totally unrelated surgery in a semi private ward and it wasn't the best experience so for me - although I'm not guaranteed a private room - I'm happy to stack the odds in my favour of it happening.

I've no regrets going private but - if all goes well this time! - I will hopefully look at other options next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Lustrum

I'm writing this with my new 1 week old asleep on my chest. My wife and I went semi-private in Holles St. Although we have health insurance we couldn't justify paying out for private care. As already stated, everyone gets the same care for the delivery no matter who you are. We went to the semi-private clinic every Friday and met the amazing Mary Higgins (I honestly could not soeak highly enough of her), our longest wait was about 2 hours but most would have been 30-45 mins in and out. We went semi private as we heard that if there's a private room free after delivery you can request that, which is what happened. Obviously we were lucky to get that room, and we had 3 nights in a private room which was great comfort for my wife.

Semi-private in Holles St is €900 and we would definitely go that route again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

hi, we debated this recently on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057160559

Think in the end we concluded that in Dublin the maternity hospitals provide a pretty good service. But outside dublin there are quicker waiting times and advantages of going private if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

I think if you qualify, and are in the necessary catchment area, the Domino/Midwife scheme is the way to go. No contest. And it's free too. Fantastic scheme.

mrsWhippy wrote: »
    I think if you qualify, and are in the necessary catchment area, the Domino/Midwife scheme is the way to go. No contest. And it's free too. Fantastic scheme.

I did in holles street they are amazing and you have a special delivery room! In fairness though if it is really busy any patient uses it! I think in drogheda only the midwives patients are allowed to use it I have heard theirs is amazing and has a birthing pool but an epidural is not an option. Domino in the coombe don't offer an epidural but domino holles street and rotunda do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I went private. First time because I wanted the reassurance of scans and continuity of care, the second because I wanted the same consultant and the chance of a private room again. I was very glad both times for different reasons that I had my consultant on hand because I had negative experiences dealing with the on call consultants while waiting for mine to get into the hospital. I also preferred consultant rather than midwife led care. No regrets at all and if we have more I'll return to the same consultant. I found the public and semi private wards extremely noisy and not conducive to good recovery after c sections. Couldn't wait to get into my own room on the merrion wing, got a room both times thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Does it often happen that a private patient wouldn't get a private room? I really think they should be entitled to a partial refund when/if that happens.

Most people I know who went private got a private room.
    You're paying the consultant fees yourself, the insurance pays for accommodation and medical costs, so I don't see why a consultant who's provided all billed services would issue refunds for accommodation.

Does it often happen that a private patient wouldn't get a private room? I really think they should be entitled to a partial refund when/if that happens.

Yes it does happen but in different parts of the country. Some i know paid 3000 n ended up in a ward. Consultant was on hols n not near her giving birth.

In.my experiences id rather be with a midwife. And they always called the doc when needed im in kilkenny agsin for the third time.

Op where are you goin to go? Dublin or country

Yes it does happen but in different parts of the country. Some i know paid 3000 n ended up in a ward. Consultant was on hols n not near her giving birth.

In.my experiences id rather be with a midwife. And they always called the doc when needed im in kilkenny agsin for the third time.

Op where are you goin to go? Dublin or country

After reading Colette Fitzpatrick experience of paying private in holles street I ruled it out. She has since had another child in mount Carmel!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/i-paid-4k-on-top-of-a-hefty-health-insurance-premium-but-still-had-to-go-into-labour-on-a-trolley-27970383.html

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    After reading Colette Fitzpatrick experience of paying private in holles street I ruled it out. She has since had another child in mount Carmel!

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/i-paid-4k-on-top-of-a-hefty-health-insurance-premium-but-still-had-to-go-into-labour-on-a-trolley-27970383.html

That's only one person's experience. I've heard good and bad about all types of care in all hospitals. Anyone going private is fully aware that labour and delivery are the same for all and emergency cases take precedence regardless of your level of insurance. I would still go private in HS despite having had to deal with the public wards both times.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Millem wrote: »

I'd never read that before but it's a shocking article. She is obviously very bitter about not getting her private room and if I had paid to go private and didn't get my room i'd be annoyed too - which is why I didn't roll the dice.

However, she is lucky she didn't have to give birth on a trolley! She is right in her blame of the HSE for lack of facilities and I suppose this is one reason why the NMH is moving to a better facility in Vincents. There simply are not enough delivery suites. Babies don't wait - then they're coming, they're coming and she was unfortunate that her son arrived on what was obviously an incredibly busy day in the hospital - but not all days are incredibly busy. on my first, I was in the delivery suite for over 2 hours post birth as there was no one waiting behind me and on my 3rd I was whisked out so fast, it was tea and toast in the ward - it's simply luck of the draw.

I wouldn't base my decision to go private on that article at all. I'm not going to lie here, if money was no object to myself and my husband, I would have gone private (still in NMH though) and I would have rolled that dice - but we don't have the money enough to justify it - and the reason to go private doesn't have anything to do with medicinal care (which is the one thing this article does highlight - private and no consultant present - on my first I had 2 consultants there due to complications) but of course i'd love my own room - and to be honest, who wouldn't!! (although there are some benefits to having the company with the other new mums on the ward!) Finally, out of the 7 nights I've spent in public wards in total, I only had one bad night with regard to other babies crying all night - so again, she seems to have been hit with a major dose of bad luck.

I've read about NMH moving to Vincents, Rotunda moving to the Mater and the Coombe moving to Tallaght so much in the past ten years that when it does actually happen I'll be so surprised my eyebrows will probably fly off the top of my head.

lazygal wrote: »
    That's only one person's experience. I've heard good and bad about all types of care in all hospitals. Anyone going private is fully aware that labour and delivery are the same for all and emergency cases take precedence regardless of your level of insurance. I would still go private in HS despite having had to deal with the public wards both times.

I understand it is only one persons opinion. I posted link as the question was asked about going private and not getting a private room. It is a gamble some get lucky some don't. Before reading the article I was under some illusion that going private would give me special treatment which it clearly doesn't! From my experience in holles street I believe whoever gets it needs it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ninja13

It really depends on the hospital, with us if I went private and when I go into Labour I'll only get a private room if there is one available and if there's not I'll still be charged for private. Also in the event of needing a cs like I did that's an extra cost. I'd say if your going private find out with your hospital what their prices are and see what your insurance will cover. I went public for a finish because it was costing too much for me personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

I'm going private in the country and havent had baby yet (I'm a first timer), but i've been admitted a few times for high BP and other complications. I've been on a 6 bed ward and it wasnt the worst in fairness. If you go private its not just the accommodation your paying for, its the continuity of care. I've no regrets as my consultant is on top of everything.. everything gets run by him while I see others having to go through the chain of junior doctors, registrars and finally consultant. If you are nervous or having complications being private makes it so much easier. Also I'm getting weekly scans now in and out in 20mins while the public patients are hanging around for hours to get same. The fee is 3.5k for me but its worth every penny in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pinkshoes2012

Thanks for the feedback everyone, lots of good advice there.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have had 4 in Holles St..2 semi private and 2 under the midwives. I don't live in Dublin so the community midwives or Domino scheme were not an option.
    On my 1st (Jan 2009)I was always in and out in less then an hour and was always early for appts in case of a big queue. I got a private room and it was lovely,en-suite bath and really attentive staff that could not do enough for us. We stayed 3 nights.
    I picked my consultant and had him at every visit.
    I was admitted a few times and was in unit 3.

On my 2nd (Jan 11) appts were more or less the same as the 1st but I was on a semi private ward.It was awful!! There were shared showers between loads of people ,the other peoples partners never left,they were chronically short staffed. No visitors were allowed due to I think foot and mouth. I stayed 1 night only because I had to.

I had 2 normal births so went with the midwives clinic... (Jan 13)
    My only negative experience was having to go to the normal public clinic for my 1st appt,it was awful,crazy busy and long waits.I decided there and then that this was never ever going to be an option for me.
    The midwives took time with you,waiting time was about 15 minutes on average and it was a lovely experience.
    I was in a 6 bed ward again but public this time ,same awful showers but more staff and my biggest girl was able to come and visit,it was ok.

My last and final baby was born Friday...
    I went through the midwife clinic again,it was a great experience with nearly no waiting time. The initial appt was a nightmare 3 hours of waiting in the awful packed waiting room but once I survived that then the rest was good.
    I was on a public ward again,it was really nice,not busy and only 5 of us there. The showers were lovely. There was no lack of staff and the staff were lovely and did not appear as crazily overworked as the previous times.

As you can see it varies a lot but if I am to compare this time and last then there have been vast improvements ,personally I could see no difference between sp ward and the public one.They all had 6 beds.
    If I was starting all over again I would probably go Semi Private on my 1st again and then midwife led after that or if it was an option I would definately go with the community midwives or Domino scheme.
    Personally I would not consider going under the public consultants led clinic as the crowding,waiting and seeing different people at each appt would drive me mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I am going through public care in the country (registered with Cavan through the Midwifery-Led Unit), and I'm delighted with my care to date. I had my booking appointment with them at 20 weeks, but was given a full tour of the facilities prior to that. I get a private birthing suite where I will also stay after my baby is born. The only exception to this is if I end up needing a CS or opt for an epidural - the midwife care does not cover this, and I would have to be transferred to consultant care (across the hall). The other exception would be if I went into labour while both rooms were already occupied, but they have assured me this has yet to happen as they only take a certain amount of bookings to ensure that three people are not likely to have normal, full-term deliveries at the same time.
    I have waited no longer than 10 minutes to be seen for all of my appointments. I have seen 4 different midwives who are all absolute darlings and never have to go chasing for information on my notes. I had to go in for one suspected emergency, which turned out to be nothing, I was seen immediately, and my mind was totally put at ease by all the tests they ran before they sent me home.

Obviously it won't suit everyone because you need to be low-risk, will not be dealing with a consultant and will only get gas&air and a shot of pethidine at labour (as well as access to the birthing pool, your own TV, birthing ball, private en-suite and a pull-out sofa bed for any visitors you would like to sleep over), but considering it is all under public care, I'd consider myself mad to pay for the same treatment!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It sounds like my dream :)

Advertisement