Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Eireann strike - services have resumed (Read first post)

• 09-05-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some reminders and rules for this thread.

Avoid inflammatory posts - on topic, constructive posts only.

The following are not on topic:
    * The government, past or present
    * IMF / The Troika
    * The Banks
    * NAMA
    * Croke Park 2
    * Privatisation
    * Fares
    * The Free Travel Scheme

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

The largest union at Bus Éireann, the National Bus and Rail Union, says an all-out strike will go ahead from Sunday.
    Out of 820 votes, 83% of members voted today to reject the Labour Court’s cost-cutting recommendations.
    €5m reductions in overtime and premium pay at the company had been recommended by the court.
    The NBRU represents over 1,100 of the company's 2,500 employees.
    Bus Éireann has said it will press ahead with a range of cost-cutting measures.

Full story here.

Serious disruption looking likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

will this effect buses going from the north to the south on sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ah exams next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

I have to go to work Sunday morning. Do it Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If this goes ahead its only a matter of time before the rail workers join their colleagues on the buses in solidarity.

I can hears the tills ringing in the City Link booking offices already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sack them all. Fold BE. Tender a private operator to replace them ala the RPA/Luas and interview new drivers/drivers who will accept a sustainable wage and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

How will this effect GoBÉ services?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

In my view there has to be some kind of cost saving from front line staff to improve the situation of the company going forward, that much is evident as after all they are losing money. Just saying no to any cuts or changes in terms and conditions isn't going to help the position of the company.

However at the same time this is the same company that invested in a large scale upgrade of it's fleet on commercial routes last year which was backed by an extensive marketing campaign, not just online and and through the printed media, but also through extensive TV advertisements.

The fact that the company are now saying that they need to make savings, suggests that they may have been wiser to spend less on capital spending until they had got their cost base more in order, rather than spending first and addressing the costs later.

I do feel that the front line staff are being targeted too much in these measures and others within the company need to take more of a responsibility so I see to a point why they are unhappy. But at the same time just refusing any cuts or changes to conditions really isn't feasible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Sticking during exams will not garner them much public support nor Management implementing cuts at this junction. Here is hoping some compromise is found before Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

devnull wrote: »
    In my view there has to be some kind of cost saving from front line staff to improve the situation of the company going forward, that much is evident as after all they are losing money. Just saying no to any cuts or changes in terms and conditions isn't going to help the position of the company.

However at the same time this is the same company that invested in a large scale upgrade of it's fleet on commercial routes last year which was backed by an extensive marketing campaign, not just online and and through the printed media, but also through extensive TV advertisements.

The fact that the company are now saying that they need to make savings, suggests that they may have been wiser to spend less on capital spending until they had got their cost base more in order, rather than spending first and addressing the costs later.

I do feel that the front line staff are being targeted too much in these measures and others within the company need to take more of a responsibility so I see to a point why they are unhappy. But at the same time just refusing any cuts or changes to conditions really isn't feasible.

I think thats the problem. If they played the game a bit and realised that some cuts have to be made then maybe it wouldnt be at the strike stage.
    Cant they see that a strike will just worsen the situation at BE? and also they will be out of pocket when they are on strike anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

I can't see this ending well for either the unions or the company.
    Striking when the company is in such dire financial straits may be the tipping point which actually sends it over (that is if it isn't already over).

The proposed savings don't look too draconian if it means keeping their jobs as opposed to having no jobs at all if BE ceases to exist:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-financial-crisis-labour-court-recommendations-901462-May2013/
    Among the changes recommended by the Labour Court are:
    An increase in the working week for clerical and executive staff from 36 hours to 39 hours
    Reduction in premium payments (such as Sunday payments) to be x1.5 payments rather than double payments
    Reduction in annual leave entitlement by 3 days for the next three years
    Reduction in allowances and expense payments by 20 per cent

I doubt the frantic negotiations which are rumoured to be taking place are going to succeed given the theoretical savings were suppose to take effect months and months ago (as in zero progress with the unions and management in that time period).

The unions are going to have to come forward with some alternative, practical proposals to make the savings otherwise they're just going to alienate the public and give the impression that they're burying their head in the sand to try to bluff the government to rescue BE which isn't going to happen as (1) said government is broke and (2) unless there are actual reforms to make BE sustainable as a company then it's just money down a black hole as the problem will just pop up again later on in the year or early next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,146 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

godtabh wrote: »
    Sack them all. Fold BE. Tender a private operator to replace them ala the RPA/Luas and interview new drivers/drivers who will accept a sustainable wage and conditions.
    who the hell do you think you are, how dare you show contempt for public sector workers, and suggest that our boys and girls driving the busses for our state operator should be sacked for taking a legal and vital course of action that is only been taken as a last resort, and then you have the audacity to suggest that BE should be folded and replaced by private operators and new drivers interviewed adding insult to injoury just because you want to turn ireland into a place where workers have very few rights and have no choice but to except any old thing, BE is not luas, the current situation to luas is fine for that and should be only exclusive to that, ireland needs state run operators along with the private operators, a situation we have apart from the railways, the working conditions BE drivers have are vital to make sure we get the best tallent for the job, our state operators will not be replaced with a luas style operation as state run operators are vital to make sure places private operators don't wish to serve have some access to public transport

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Manach wrote: »
    Sticking during exams will not garner them much public support
    what public support, the only public support any striking workers seem to have is from me and a few others, the rest of them are of the sack them and replace with lower payed workers with lower working conditions who will just have to put up even if the working conditions get lower and lower, to be honest they don't need public support anyway, the majority of the public are to busy watching the likes of the x factor to care about whats going on in the country

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Shaneboyle

who the hell do you think you are, how dare you show contempt for public sector workers, and suggest that our boys and girls driving the busses for our state operator should be sacked for taking a legal and vital course of action that is only been taken as a last resort, and then you have the audacity to suggest that BE should be folded and replaced by private operators and new drivers interviewed adding insult to injoury just because you want to turn ireland into a place where workers have very few rights and have no choice but to except any old thing, BE is not luas, the current situation to luas is fine for that and should be only exclusive to that, ireland needs state run operators along with the private operators, a situation we have apart from the railways, the working conditions BE drivers have are vital to make sure we get the best tallent for the job, our state operators will not be replaced with a luas style operation as state run operators are vital to make sure places private operators don't wish to serve have some access to public transport

there saying though without the 7 day notice the strike is not legal!!!

who the hell do you think you are, how dare you show contempt for public sector workers, and suggest that our boys and girls driving the busses for our state operator should be sacked for taking a legal and vital course of action that is only been taken as a last resort,

The fact is that the company is losing money and something needs to be done about that. I have some sympathy with the staff in that the current position of the company is not just down to them and that higher ranks of staff need to take their share of responsibility for the situation the company now finds itself in rather than placing the burden just on the front line.

However the company cannot go on losing money and there needs to be a compromise here from both sides. The likes of BE management need to realise that they cannot force the pressure all on the front line to fix the current situation, but at the same time the front line need to realise that simply ploughing on regardless and shrugging their shoulders and saying it's not their problem isn't viable either.

For example the fact that there clearly are executives and admin staff who are even arguing over 39 hour weeks instead of 36 hours is crazy and that is one of the aspects that I am outraged by as it sticks out the most as being the one condition that should have even existed in the first place. I have no sympathy for people who see that as being some major problem to them.

The fact is to deal with this situation, unions, staff and management alike must all work together and come up with some plan that works to help the situation the company it is in at the moment. At the moment Bus Eireann are trying to pin the blame all on the staff and the staff are trying to say that none of it should be down to them. With this kind of attitude from both sides no wonder there is a strike.

BE need to realise that there are some changes and improvements to spending etc that they can make that don't involve pay cuts to front line staff, but at the same time staff need to realise that retaining every single one of their existing terms is simply not possible in the current climate and the country does not have any more money to bail the company out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Irish Rail could gain some long term passengers on some of BE expressway routes who left the train for whatever reason but now they my be impressed with the improvment in times and prepared to pay the higher fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

What is it Bus Eireann drivers threatening strike action during college exams? Did exactly the same thing in January.

Generally you will find with strikes in transport they will try and plan them to happen at times when it is the least convenient for the public or the company that is in dispute with it's workers. This is a tactic that is not unique to Ireland and can often be seen being played out in the UK for example - not saying if this is the case here however.

The reason being is this is a tactical move on behalf of the unions, since the company are more likely to back down or reach out further to avert action if it is on a day when they are expecting bumper revenue, a time of national event or a big day in the Irish calendar, since the damage will be less to their reputation, goodwill or the public on a mid-winter Wednesday during half term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭Patser

Columbia wrote: »
    What is it Bus Eireann drivers threatening strike action during college exams? Did exactly the same thing in January.

Generally you will find with strikes in transport they will try and plan them to happen at times when it is the least convenient for the public or the company that is in dispute with it's workers. This is a tactic that is not unique to Ireland and can often be seen being played out in the UK for example.

The reason being is this is a tactical move on behalf of the unions, since the company are more likely to back down or reach out further to avert action if it is on a day when they are expecting bumper revenue, a time of national event or a big day in the Irish calendar, since the damage will be less to their reputation, goodwill or the public on a mid-winter Wednesday during half term.

Drivers haven't chosen this time to to strike. There will only be a strike if the new terms and conditions are brought in. It was the management who picked this date to bring in the changes, so that's when the strike would begin. Also it's not just drivers but mechanics, clerical staff etc that have all balloted for strike action (at least earlier in the year, before it went back for renegotiation that management decided was happening too slow).

So timing of strike nothing personal and not picked deliberately, just in reaction to implementation of what is causing the dispute.

Away from this, I am a BE driver and there has recently been warnings placed up around our depot and Bus Aras warning staff not to use 'social media' to comment on the company, so not sure how far I can comment on the potential strike without exceeding that warning.

• Advertisement

Patser wrote: »
    Drivers haven't chosen this time to to strike. There will only be a strike if the new terms and conditions are brought in. It was the management who picked this date to bring in the changes, so that's when the strike would begin.

But the union, who represents staff has clearly said today that their position is that they are not willing to take any cuts to any of the conditions that have been outlined.

That indicates to me there has been no attempt at a compromise. On the other hand however, I haven't heard anything from Bus Eireann that suggests they are going to compromise either.
    Also it's not just drivers but mechanics, clerical staff etc that have all balloted for strike action

Yes - that is clear since clerical and admin staff are moaning about having to be present for a full working week rather than the 36 hour week they are working at the moment.
    Away from this, I am a BE driver and there has recently been warnings placed up around our depot and Bus Aras warning staff not to use 'social media' to comment on the company, so not sure how far I can comment on the potential strike without exceeding that warning.

That is unfortunate if that is the case, as long as people are posting correct information that does not fall foul of any laws I don't see why they should be stopped, but I can understand why companies wouldn't like it.

But the union, who represents staff has clearly said today that their position is that they are not willing to take any cuts to any of the conditions that have been outlined.

Sorry, maybe I should have made that a bit clearer. I mean the timing of the strike is dependant on the changes being brought on. Obviously there being a strike is decided by the staff but we did not deliberately chose to time it during exam times.
    That is unfortunate if that is the case, as long as people are posting correct information that does not fall foul of any laws I don't see why they should be stopped, but I can understand why companies wouldn't like it.

Correct factual information is fine and grand but for me to get into giving reasonings behind what drivers might be feeling and the likes veers away from dry facts. If I post my opinions on the changes, that's not a fact, so I run the risk of that warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

Correct factual information is fine and grand but for me to get into giving reasonings behind what drivers might be feeling and the likes veers away from dry facts. If I post my opinions on the changes, that's not a fact, so I run the risk of that warning.

Stick to facts that are available to outsiders through other sources. Still not worth rocking the boat after the prior cases that brought this about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Terrible news. I'm very dependent on this service on Monday so I'm just wondering if there's any chance the strike doesn't go ahead?

Sorry, maybe I should have made that a bit clearer. I mean the timing of the strike is dependant on the changes being brought on. Obviously there being a strike is decided by the staff but we did not deliberately chose to time it during exam times.

Sorry if you thought I was saying that - I was just speaking in generic terms that it is common that strikes will normally be timed for the biggest impact, although it's clear that is not the case in this situation.

See your point - For what it's worth I have some sympathy with both sides.

Paully D wrote: »
    Terrible news. I'm very dependent on this service on Monday so I'm just wondering if there's any chance the strike doesn't go ahead?

I can't tell you much Paully. Us drivers are hearing very, very little. Back in January a strike that was threatened over this, it was stopped on the friday before it happened. This new trouble came out of no-where on Tuesday last week and really caught us by surprise. In the depots we're being told very little but in contrast with what happened in January, the language we're hearing (from radio reports, the same place everyone else is getting their info) sounds much tougher. The likes of Varadkar, Gilmore saying this has to happen and no jobs to go back to.

So as things stand I've heard nothing about what is expected of me if there is a strike (and since I've never been on strike I haven't really any idea beyond the obvious what's involved), so that suggests efforts are still going on the stop it. But you'll probably here of any changes through the news, same as I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I can't tell you much Paully. Us drivers are hearing very, very little. Back in January a strike that was threatened over this, it was stopped on the friday before it happened. This new trouble came out of no-where on Tuesday last week and really caught us by surprise. In the depots we're being told very little but in contrast with what happened in January, the language we're hearing (from radio reports, the same place everyone else is getting their info) sounds much tougher. The likes of Varadkar, Gilmore saying this has to happen and no jobs to go back to.

So as things stand I've heard nothing about what is expected of me if there is a strike (and since I've never been on strike I haven't really any idea beyond the obvious what's involved), so that suggests efforts are still going on the stop it. But you'll probably here of any changes through the news, same as I will.

Appreciate the response mate. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

Whatever about Expressway being privatised, I think all parties concerned should be very careful about privatising the PSO service. In my experience I've only ever seen the London model to work. It would be awful to see cities like Cork and Limerick to be without services after 7pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Ah that's kind of like saying they made you do it. You could call off the strike all by yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 EnoughIsEnough

Strikes are only solved by people sitting down around a table.

Both sides (Management and unions) need to take a step back and consider the travelling public and decide to talk TO each other rather than AT each other via the media in a point scoring exercise.

In the meantime commuters like myself who hold monthly and annual tickets are forced to look for alternative travel arrangements.

Does anyone know of a local or national website where someone can seek to arrange a lift ? I found one site called www.GetThere.ie which includes a Car Sharing section and wonder if anyone has experience of it or can recommend another site as I travel 106 km (return journey) daily from West Cork to the city and need a reliable alternative.

n97 mini wrote: »
    Ah that's kind of like saying they made you do it. You could call off the strike all by yourselves.

No if you look at what I posted I said that the fact there was a strike was down to the staff, not forced upon us. We could call off the strike, I agree, but 83% voted for industrial action as we don't agree with what's being asked.

What my post was saying is that the timing of the strike was in response to the time the changes were being brought in. Not as some sort of conspiracy to annoy students doing exams or such key opportunistic times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Not sure about any real cost saving plans.

http://www.busandcoach.com/newspage.aspx?id=6600&categoryid=0

A bust "company" in a bust country spending like theres no tomorrow.
    We've all seen them, the shiny new ones going into the most rural areas with about 10 OAPs on FT aboard..................................

This does not make any sense. No business manager in a private enterprise could condone such spending on new toys.

Has management and directors of the sinking ship taken any significant cuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So the admin and management work 36 hrs per week and the drivers get double time for working a Sunday....are they for real? How the hell do people think thats a sustainable way to run a business? Why do they think the standard working week is 40hrs, for the laugh?
    And why the do people think they deserve double their wages on a Sunday but not a Monday or a Thursday?

To be fair the buses for the urban city routes that were purchased were funded by the NTA and not by Bus Eireann directly since they were for the PSO services. The commuter coaches purchased for commuter areas were again funded by the NTA so Bus Eireann did not spend €30m themselves on vehicles.

The 28 other coaches that are mentioned in that article were bought out of the funds of Bus Eireann. Those 20 i6 coaches and 8 double decker VDL coaches would have been by far the most expensive vehicles price wise out of that order and were backed up by a widespread advertising campaign that was ran online and on TV and on street etc.

Whether it was financially wise to acquire 28 coaches last year and to spend so much money marketing on them if the company was struggling is open to debate.

No if you look at what I posted I said that the fact there was a strike was down to the staff, not forced upon us. We could call off the strike, I agree, but 83% voted for industrial action as we don't agree with what's being asked.

What my post was saying is that the timing of the strike was in response to the time the changes were being brought in. Not as some sort of conspiracy to annoy students doing exams or such key opportunistic times.

I suppose my point is there is never a good time for you to go on strike, but I understand it is you and your colleagues that are choosing to go on strike.

• Advertisement

So the admin and management work 36 hrs per week and the drivers get double time for working a Sunday....are they for real? How the hell do people think thats a sustainable way to run a business? Why do they think the standard working week is 40hrs, for the laugh?
    And why the do people think they deserve double their wages on a Sunday but not a Monday or a Thursday?

I don't think it's sustainable myself either and there is no way things can carry on exactly the way they are in Bus Eireann, there is no doubt about it and the staff need to wake up and realise that they cannot realistically hold on to all of their terms and conditions.

However spending and costs need to be brought under control in the company to a level that they only spend in other areas what they can afford rather than spending too much and expecting the staff to take cuts to balance the books - it cannot work like that and is not fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 EnoughIsEnough

As a C.I.E. commuter and customer (a daily 106 km round trip from West Cork to the city) I would ask both Management and Trade Unions to take a step back and sit down to resolve this matter.

A deal will only be reached through talking TO each other rather than the present talking AT each other which is rapidly descending into sniping and point scoring through the media while customers like myself look for an alternative means of travel from next Monday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

To be fair the buses for the urban city routes that were purchased were funded by the NTA and not by Bus Eireann directly since they were for the PSO services. The commuter coaches purchased for commuter areas were again funded by the NTA so Bus Eireann did not spend €30m themselves on vehicles.

The 28 other coaches that are mentioned in that article were bought out of the funds of Bus Eireann. Those 20 i6 coaches and 8 double decker VDL coaches would have been by far the most expensive vehicles price wise out of that order and were backed up by a widespread advertising campaign that was ran online and on TV and on street etc.

Whether it was financially wise to acquire 28 coaches last year and to spend so much money marketing on them if the company was struggling is open to debate.

True, but its all taxpayers money.

Someone needs to take a long hard look at just exactly what BE is supposed to be- a flash government funded competitor to private companies on the viable commercial routes or a more PSO focused organisation which would legitimately be funded from the tax pot.

Of course if anything was to come of this, mass redundancies would be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I really hope this doesn't go ahead. I'm completely dependent on Bus Eireann for getting to and from work, and can't afford the taxis each way. If it does, all cities (except Dublin) will have MAJOR public transport problems.

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    I really hope this doesn't go ahead. I'm completely dependent on Bus Eireann for getting to and from work, and can't afford the taxis each way. If it does, all cities (except Dublin) will have MAJOR public transport problems.

If it does go ahead the commentators are saying it won't last more than a couple of days as the staff and unions don't have the money. i.e. they actually depend on the company to survive, something which seems to have been lost on 83% of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

It hasn't been lost on 83% of them!!
    83% of them have finally said enough is enough!

Which is what the whole country should be doing.
    Too many people think a race to the bottom will solve everything.

Austerity and cutbacks don't work.
    People need money in their pockets to spend to get the country going again.

Striking is the only fight back they have.

These drivers aren't driving around in a van with a few boxes in the back they are driving 15 tonne 40 foot long vehicles with a precious cargo of 90+ people on board.

So why should they except to be paid more or less the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭omicron

If it does go ahead the commentators are saying it won't last more than a couple of days as the staff and unions don't have the money. i.e. they actually depend on the company to survive, something which seems to have been lost on 83% of them.
    Tickityboo wrote: »

These drivers aren't driving around in a van with a few boxes in the back they are driving 15 tonne 40 foot long vehicles with a precious cargo of 90+ people on board.

What the poster was saying is that Bus Eireann can survive without the workers for longer than the workers can survive without bus eireann - and 83% of them don't seem to realise this.

By the way, these aren't exactly 'austerity' proposals- the company is losing money while staff work 36 hour weeks and get double pay for Sundays, which is clearly unsustainable.

Drivers drive similar vehicles in private companies for less, and the hour increases are only proposed for admin staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,039 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Irish Rail could gain some long term passengers on some of BE expressway routes who left the train for whatever reason but now they my be impressed with the improvment in times and prepared to pay the higher fare.

Or else they'll move to the private companies which operate similar services, can't see many people jumping from one CIE company to the other when IR will need to do similar at some stage.

So you want to keep spending money we don't have? The country was broke even before we bailed out the banks. In private industry when times are good they hire and spend money like it's going out fashion, just like the public sector, but when times are slow they cut staff and reduce spending, unlike the public sector. You can't expect to keep everything the same when a company, or country, is loosing money yet the unions don't seem to realise that yet.

So how do you think we can pay for all the wages and benefits that you want people to keep and not increase taxes or burden your children with crippling debts?

Driving 90+ on a Sunday isn't any different to driving them on a Tuesday. Why do the unions still think the world only runs Mon to Fri 9-5?

The issue of wages and standards for processional drivers will become a major issue soon, the unions are fighting the wrong battle on this one, as the fact you can earn more stacking shelves in a supermarket than driving a HGV/Bus is going to end badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,756 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Maybe it will take jobs to be lost before the reality of living on 188 euro a week sets in and the unions make some effort ot engage. They have had 4 months or more to sort out the problem but haven't.

This strike will damage the company even further, private bus operators will benefit and will take passengers away from BE after this action ends.

Everybody has had to take pay cuts so unions should be finding solutions to come up with saving and not asking members to go on strike.

Irish Rail didn't get the bailout they wanted last year and Bus Eireann won't get one this year either, sooner unions and employees at BE realise this the better for everybody and their future working for the company.

i think you'l find the unions realise all the things people seem to think they don't, but are threatening to strike as a last resort to get management to both offer a better deal then their offering and take some of the burden as well as the frontline staff, more then likely a deal will be reached before sunday

The company is losing money. The alternative to making the books balance is to keep losing money until the credit supply is cut off and the company goes bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

The company is losing money. The alternative to making the books balance is to keep losing money until the credit supply is cut off and the company goes bust.

I use a particular route on a weekly basis. I think that there are way too much buses on the service. There are almost hourly buses daily, too much choice, with averages of 8 people onboard off-peak. I was on a bus yesterday, a 90 minute journey of 50km. The driver took about €30 in fares, which doesn't cover wages or fuel. I remember when there were about 6 single decker services daily, now there are over 12 double-deckers daily, most virtually empty from 9am-5pm. A company has to eliminate waste, reduce costs and increase revenue, otherwise it is non-viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Trampas

My bus I get this morning never appeared. Maybe they have started the strike early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

What annoys me about the whole situation is they think they have it bad, they don't. Personally, I don't get paid for overtime, I don't get paid anything extra if I work Saturday/Sunday/Bank holidays, my hours were changed from 39 hours a week to 40 hours, no extra pay.. pay freeze for more years than I would care to remember.

I am not able to go on strike, I realise that I am lucky to have a job. Some of these people striking would want to get a bloody grip.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The danger for BE and it's staff here is if they do go on strike and the strike draws out, then if the public see the private companies continue to operate through the strike without issue, it may lead to increased support from the public to breakup and privatise BE.

Think of something similar to Taxi deregulation.

• Advertisement
Advertisement