Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

winter socks vs winter tyres

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭

which is better (ignoring the initial cost)?
    which lasts longer?

i'm torn between a set of tyres or a two pairs of socks.

which is better (based on using them) 52 votes

winter socks are much better than normal tyres
    0% 0 votes
    winter tyres are much better than normal tyres
    5% 3 votes
    winter socks are better than winter tyres
    40% 21 votes
    winter tyres are better than winter socks
    0% 0 votes
    i've used neither of them
    53% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭rameire

may aswell ask
    what is better?
    a plastic bag
    or a condom

winter tyres better then all, depending on conditions of course.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

rameire wrote: »
    may aswell ask
    what is better?
    a plastic bag
    or a condom

winter tyres better then all, depending on conditions of course.
    for sex, if you are too poor to afford a condom, you should not be having sex :p

and for carrying shopping, a bag would suffice ...

but seriously, i've seen a few articles claiming that winter socks are better than winter tyres in terms of grip.

so i'm looking for people who have tried both ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭rameire

i always thought winter socks would be only for getting you out of a pickle and not to run on them continuously, as they would damage and degrade very quickly if worn continously, if there were snow in ireland.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Winter socks can only be used on thick snow or ice. One your on a clear road they must be removed or they will be in flitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Socks did the trick last year. Totally secure. Only problem was I was still stuck behind the people who didn't have them. Actually had a few moments where the back slid out due to front grip being so good. Closest analogy would be like driving on gravel. Used them according to manufacturers guidelines and the same pair are ready to go again this year. Can't recommend them highly enough. No experience of winter tyres. Honestly have no interest based on relatively short term snow conditions, cost of tyres, and storage. The snow socks live in the boot, tucked in beside the spare.

• Advertisement

thanks guys.

i think i'll invest in winter tyres ...
    i was worried about how long snow socks would last and their grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some info from youtube on socks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

davoxx wrote: »

but seriously, i've seen a few articles claiming that winter socks are better than winter tyres in terms of grip.

Most likely thay are.
    But are you going to put them on and off every time you see snow or ice on the road?

CiniO wrote: »
    Most likely thay are.
    But are you going to put them on and off every time you see snow or ice on the road?
    i would have if that was the better option, but seems like tyres might be the best option here (with socks as back up?)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

davoxx wrote: »
    i would have if that was the better option, but seems like tyres might be the best option here (with socks as back up?)

I'd say way better backup would be snow chains.
    In most conditions you drive on winter tyres, while you land up in some total extreme, you put chains on, which will get you out of anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

Socks = in the boot of the OH's car in case of getting caught out locally.

Winter tyres = On my car 'cos I do 500+ miles a week and if I don't travel I don't earn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

If you do 500+ miles a week then socks are useless to you. You could end up stopping every couple of miles to take them on or off based on conditions. This, I safely assume, would drive you nuts.

Tyres for you would be best I think.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    If you do 500+ miles a week then socks are useless to you. You could end up stopping every couple of miles to take them on or off based on conditions. This, I safely assume, would drive you nuts.

Tyres for you would be best I think.
    Seems that way alright. The socks do give an unholy amount if grip though, especially on steep inclines. If money/storage were no object, I'd go for the belt and braces...

Winter socks can only be used on thick snow or ice. One your on a clear road they must be removed or they will be in flitters.
    Word of the day! Flitters. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I think one thing that's overlooked in the cost of winter tyres is the fact that your regular tyres are being saved from any wear and so will also last much longer..

Having used winters last year for the first time the difference is huge....
    We live in a lane that isn't salted or cleared when it snows, last year my wife couldn't get through it until we changed to winters...

Some posters are claiming just because we don't get much snow they aren't worth it... If it means my wife & kids not getting stuck in the snow then it's well worth it...

I got winters fitted for the same price as regular tyres so there is no financial impact of having them on at all... It just takes the effort to get it done..

The socks look good enough but I'd be afraid my missus (being on the small side) wouldn't get them on..

bbam wrote: »
    I think one thing that's overlooked in the cost of winter tyres is the fact that your regular tyres are being saved from any wear and so will also last much longer..

Having used winters last year for the first time the difference is huge....
    We live in a lane that isn't salted or cleared when it snows, last year my wife couldn't get through it until we changed to winters...

Some posters are claiming just because we don't get much snow they aren't worth it... If it means my wife & kids not getting stuck in the snow then it's well worth it...

I got winters fitted for the same price as regular tyres so there is no financial impact of having them on at all... It just takes the effort to get it done..

The socks look good enough but I'd be afraid my missus (being on the small side) wouldn't get them on..
    Not an issue. Simplicity itself to put them on. Feck. I'm starting to sound like a salesman. Wonder how long it'll take us to adopt winter snow into our annual routine. Seriously though, I have to wonder if the Norwegian version if board would attract the same topic. if we do get hit again this year, I think that the long term way to go is a cheap set of steelies from a wrappers, with winter tyres permanently fitted. Should last a number of years. With me trusty socks as a backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

endacl wrote: »
    Socks did the trick last year. Totally secure. Only problem was I was still stuck behind the people who didn't have them. Actually had a few moments where the back slid out due to front grip being so good. Closest analogy would be like driving on gravel. Used them according to manufacturers guidelines and the same pair are ready to go again this year. Can't recommend them highly enough. No experience of winter tyres. Honestly have no interest based on relatively short term snow conditions, cost of tyres, and storage. The snow socks live in the boot, tucked in beside the spare.

Winter tyres are not only for snow conditions, they're for, well you guessed it, winter conditions so that's at least 3 months. Winter tyres offer better grip at low temps and are great at cutting through heavy rain or slush.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 headstar23

endacl wrote: »

did you have to take them off on one roadtrip if you came to a clear road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I live at the top of a mountain and the feeling of isolation when you get snowed in can be very unsettling. I got the snow socks last year and they are brilliant. Don't drive on them any way fast, don't let the wheels spin and ALWAYS take them off on a clear road. It's worth the hassle to be mobile. Mine are good to go again this year after many miles put on them last Christmas. They are what they are, for emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

How long have all the posters in this thread been driving? And how come no-one has gone looking for winter tyres before? We had a couple of freak winters, last year in particular, global warming has not suddenly changed our climate over the last 2 years so IMO its extremely unlikely that winter tyres will be of any more benefit then they would have been since the last big snow in 82 or whenever it was.

I personally would rather have tyres that give their best for 10-11 months of the year then ones that are at their best for 1-2 months.

IMO the hysteria about winter tyres is as bad as the hysteria around everyone running out to buy diesels with low road tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

How long have all the posters in this thread been driving? And how come no-one has gone looking for winter tyres before? We had a couple of freak winters, last year in particular, global warming has not suddenly changed our climate over the last 2 years so IMO its extremely unlikely that winter tyres will be of any more benefit then they would have been since the last big snow in 82 or whenever it was.

I personally would rather have tyres that give their best for 10-11 months of the year then ones that are at their best for 1-2 months.

IMO the hysteria about winter tyres is as bad as the hysteria around everyone running out to buy diesels with low road tax.
    Don't winter tyres perform better in the rain? We get a lot of that. I'm sure there is some merit to them. Having 2 sets of tyres never hurt anyone. And considering the amount of cars running bald tyres, something that encourages people to be aware of them can't be a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

QFT - I drove last winter in the very worst of it around the mountains in Tralee/Lyxnaw for a wedding. I'd a normal FWD estate car, Sunny tires, and I made it up and down hills people were turning away from because of a small bit of slipping. And even when we had the snow and ice, it was only there for a week or three - not the endless weeks of snow and ice other countries get. My ex's father in Poland thought it was funny with all the people rushing out here to get Winter Tyres.

barura wrote: »
    Don't winter tyres perform better in the rain? We get a lot of that. I'm sure there is some merit to them. Having 2 sets of tyres never hurt anyone. And considering the amount of cars running bald tyres, something that encourages people to be aware of them can't be a bad thing.

How well they perform in the wet depends on the brand, exactly like standard/summer tyres.

I agree that raising an awareness of tyres is certainly a good thing for Ireland, but the problem is that whats going on here is just pushing a type of tyre, that the tyre manufactures have never marketed here before due to our climate not warranting them, by playing on peoples irrational fear that we are going to get arctic winters from now on:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

For some people it's a simple financial calculation - ie I get to work x days when I wouldn't have otherwise and the tyres are paid for. Remember also that the long-term cost of running winter tyres is only the price of a set of used wheels - in my case, €150.

Owen wrote: »
    QFT - I drove last winter in the very worst of it around the mountains in Tralee/Lyxnaw for a wedding. I'd a normal FWD estate car, Sunny tires, and I made it up and down hills people were turning away from because of a small bit of slipping. And even when we had the snow and ice, it was only there for a week or three - not the endless weeks of snow and ice other countries get. My ex's father in Poland thought it was funny with all the people rushing out here to get Winter Tyres.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    For some people it's a simple financial calculation - ie I get to work x days when I wouldn't have otherwise and the tyres are paid for. Remember also that the long-term cost of running winter tyres is only the price of a set of used wheels - in my case, €150.

I agree with both comments, I too had no issues getting anywhere in a fwd car with decent summer tyres on it(and I went down roads that were closed and I live on a very steep hill) For certain people, living in certain areas(very mountainous etc) they would make sense.

The point I'm getting it that the reason for the VAST majority of people getting stuck was nothing to do with the type of tyres they had or what wheel drive their car was, it was simply a matter of not having a notion how to drive in the conditions.

The point I'm getting it that the reason for the VAST majority of people getting stuck was nothing to do with the type of tyres they had or what wheel drive their car was, it was simply a matter of not having a notion how to drive in the conditions.
    And when that clown is in front of (or behind) you, would you rather they be on summer or winter tyres?;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    And when that clown is in front of (or behind) you, would you rather they be on summer or winter tyres?;)

Well in front shouldn't be a problem if your driving at a safe distance and reading the road properly.

Yes behind could be an issue, I don't know how many times I pulled over last year to let idiots who were driving too close and way beyond the levels of grip available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

How well they perform in the wet depends on the brand, exactly like standard/summer tyres.
    Thats not really true! At low temps on wet but not freezing roads Winters noticeably outperform Summers. Its not a mere difference in Brands, its a fundamental difference in tyre makeup.
    I agree that raising an awareness of tyres is certainly a good thing for Ireland, but the problem is that whats going on here is just pushing a type of tyre, that the tyre manufactures have never marketed here before due to our climate not warranting them, by playing on peoples irrational fear that we are going to get arctic winters from now on:rolleyes
    Absolutely but even the biggest moron can make progress in a Winter tyre'd car. You could apply your thoughts to anything above an beyond the baseline of a minimum level car (ESP, ABS, Power Steering). You cannot magically make everyone else a good enough driver on icey, cold or snowed in roads just because you say it. You can however equip them to deal with the conditions. It benefits them and every other road user. For the minimal investment Winter Tyres return is massive. IMO Socks are a piss poor alternative (but they have their uses in an emergency but obviously they are not a tyre type alternative, making this poll misleading).

I have not seen anything even remotely close to hysteria on Winter tyres in the real world. To claim so shows you a victim of false consensus, ie its a super common topic on Irish forums, but outside of my immediate family I know of zero people with Winters. Many co-workers consider them something for people "in the sticks" to a joke. Extended family would have no clue. The difference between now and 2 years ago is that some more people know they exist, but to claim there is some sort of disaster panic buying going on that you feel you need to be "counteracting" is frankly absurd.

PS: If our Winter continue like it has so far this year (average temp +8c?) I agree there is no point in Winters obviously.

Well in front shouldn't be a problem if your driving at a safe distance and reading the road properly.
    One shouldn't be a problem but if you want to make any sort of reasonable progress then thousands of them, all slithering along at 10km/h most definitely is.:)

Even a good driver on summer tyres is a PITA to get stuck behind on snow/ice - they simply don't have the grip to make reasonable progress in safety.

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Absolutely but even the biggest moron can make progress in a Winter tyre'd car. You could apply your thoughts to anything above an beyond the baseline of a minimum level car (ESP, ABS, Power Steering). You cannot magically make everyone else a good enough driver on icey, cold or snowed in roads just because you say it. You can however equip them to deal with the conditions. It benefits them and every other road user. For the minimal investment Winter Tyres return is massive. IMO Socks are a piss poor alternative (but they have their uses in an emergency but obviously they are not a tyre type alternative, making this poll misleading).

I have not seen anything even remotely close to hysteria on Winter tyres in the real world. To claim so shows you a victim of false consensus, ie its a super common topic on Irish forums, but outside of my immediate family I know of zero people with Winters. Many co-workers consider them something for people "in the sticks" to a joke. Extended family would have no clue. The difference between now and 2 years ago is that some more people know they exist, but to claim there is some sort of disaster panic buying going on that you feel you need to be "counteracting" is frankly absurd.

I don't feel I should be counteracting it at all, I couldn't care less what people buy for their car.

In fact, I'm saying what I'm saying despite the company I work for selling winter tyres like hotcakes, so its actually helping me....but, from speaking to the majority of customers, they are buying them because word of mouth says the'll need them to be able to drive in snow and thats as far as their knowlege of them extends.

IMO if someone has done the research and understands winter tyres and how and when they will give benefits and they come to the conclusion that they will work for them thats fine...everyone else is panic buying IMO exactly as those who will listen to the advertisements and run out and spend thousands trading in their car for one of the several 4x4 cars that are now being marketed like crazy.

Advertisement