Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Luas lines or extensions after BXD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

302794.png
    • Extend BXD to the Airport
    • Build Metro West
    • Divert the Sligo Intercity Trains onto the Galway Line near Celbridge
    • Convert the Maynooth Line to Metro Gauge and extend the line from the Docklands to the city centre terminating near Tara St Station (allowing you to travel along Metro West to the city centre without changing trains)
    • BRT lines to Blanchardstown through the Phoenix Park and to Swords via Port Tunnel

Cycleways
    • Sutton2Sandycove
    • Cycleway along the River Poddle
    • Cyceway along the entire Grand&Royal Canals

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zWWoEiJ1GCKY.kYFJ9b7Tpqro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭strassenwo!f

icdg wrote: »
    You wouldn't be building the interconnector at all in that scenario, the point of it would be gone.

It's a good point. And I may well be wrong about the idea of a triangular junction.

But there are always going to be Arrow trains or their equivalent. There is no way that all of these (potential) lines, to Navan, Sligo are going to be electrified. Such trains will not be going into the interconnector, if it is ever built, but they will still need to get into town, and they will still clog up services which might eventually be offered by electric trains

The focus for electrification should thus be on new lines, serving suburbs which are not currently served by rail, and on services which can be hoovered up by the electrified interconnector project (if it is built).

Where this leaves the southside DART line is one I can't answer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's a good point. And I may well be wrong about the idea of a triangular junction.

But there are always going to be Arrow trains or their equivalent. There is no way that all of these (potential) lines, to Navan, Sligo are going to be electrified. .

The potential line to Navan would also be gone (not that I believe it will ever actually be completed). The conversion of the Dublin 15 line to tram would mean you'd have to also have to either close the M3 Parkway line or convert it to tram too, as it'd be cut off from the rest of the network with no access to service facilitates for trains and it wouldn't be worthwhile building them for such a short line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Victor wrote: »

SSG to Lansdowne Road DART.

Interesting idea. Has such a route ever been studied or proposed? The wide Georgian streets definitely lend themselves to tramways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Aard wrote: »
    Interesting idea. Has such a route ever been studied or proposed? The wide Georgian streets definitely lend themselves to tramways.

The original DART proposals, before they got enviscerated by the Doheny and Nesbitt School of Economics, incorporated an underground line from Broadstone to Temple Bar, connecting with the Tallaght line coming in underground from Heuston and then to the Green, Merrion Square, Ballsbridge and joining the coastal line at Sandymount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

icdg wrote: »
    The potential line to Navan would also be gone (not that I believe it will ever actually be completed). The conversion of the Dublin 15 line to tram would mean you'd have to also have to either close the M3 Parkway line or convert it to tram too, as it'd be cut off from the rest of the network with no access to service facilitates for trains and it wouldn't be worthwhile building them for such a short line.

I doubt advocates of ripping up the Maynooth line would be too worried about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Nah the maynooth line is too out of the way.

I'd be more inclined to convert the 39a bus route to luas rather than brt. At least it would serve the shopping centre with connections to itb, ballycoolin, mulhuddart, dunboyne etc.

A bigger population base for Dublin 15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Banjoxed wrote: »
    The original DART proposals, before they got enviscerated by the Doheny and Nesbitt School of Economics, incorporated an underground line from Broadstone to Temple Bar, connecting with the Tallaght line coming in underground from Heuston and then to the Green, Merrion Square, Ballsbridge and joining the coastal line at Sandymount.

That sounds pretty awesome.

Im on the far end of the green luas line and it would be terrific if it connected to something else other than a very unreliable bus. There is a dart station about 4 miles away. I don't know how much it would cost to extend the luas to it, but really there is no reason in the world why the luas does not connect with the Dart on the southside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Not with the Harcourt Street Line? That would have been the common-sense way to do things. But common sense went out the window in the latter half of the 20th Century and never returned, it seems; the Drumm battery-electrics that ran on the Harcourt Street line could have been readily converted to EMU, for example. (Even across the Irish Sea, British Rail was stupid enough to get rid of Newcastle's Tyneside Electric third-rail EMU service and replace them with DMUs, only to spend extra money to bring back electrification as the smaller-network Tyne and Wear Metro.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Yes I'm aware of the underground proposals from years gone by. What I found interesting was that hertofore I haven't heard any suggestion of surface tramways using the wide streets of the Georgian city. Particularly on the southside where the country's primary business district lies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Aard wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware of the underground proposals from years gone by. What I found interesting was that hertofore I haven't heard any suggestion of surface tramways using the wide streets of the Georgian city. Particularly on the southside where the country's primary business district lies.

Wouldn't building a tram on Georgian streets raise all sorts of problems with basements, etc ? Running a Luas through somewhere like Merrion Square sounds like it could be a civil and structural engineering nightmare, and possibly a legal one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭roddney

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wouldn't building a tram on Georgian streets raise all sorts of problems with basements, etc ? Running a Luas through somewhere like Merrion Square sounds like it could be a civil and structural engineering nightmare, and possibly a legal one too.

That's pretty much what they are doing with the BXD line at the moment. Filling in these basements and moving services. Dawson St etc. are Georgian.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

roddney wrote: »
    That's pretty much what they are doing with the BXD line at the moment. Filling in these basements and moving services. Dawson St etc. are Georgian.

Are they filling in basements of the buildings the Luas runs beside, like the Dawson Lounge ? Or is it only necessary to fill directly below the tracks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are they filling in basements of the buildings the Luas runs beside, like the Dawson Lounge ? Or is it only necessary to fill directly below the tracks ?
    Yes they are

See page 5 - Basement Infill Contract

http://www.dcba.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Luas-BXD.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its only projecting basements under the tracks, generally coal cellars and similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

MYOB wrote: »
    Its only projecting basements under the tracks, generally coal cellars and similar.
    so bassically ones not in use and ones unlikely to be used again even if luas didn't go ahead

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

so bassically ones not in use and ones unlikely to be used again even if luas didn't go ahead

Vast majority of them would have been out of use for decades yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Most buildings in the city center are only about 100 hundred old. They demolished a lot of the period houses and replaced them with the buildings we have now. But they left the only wine cellars and coal stores. Thats what they were filling in now. If you look at the infillng works. Most of the cellars are several meters away from the existing buildings and have nothing to do with the existing basements

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well,with this gentleman now back in harness,perhaps we will see a direct electrified service from Navan to Temple Bar !!!

He does know his way around Kildare Street AND knows how to negotiate a "Good Deal"....;)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/anger-as-dempsey-makes-comeback-in-culture-role-30185872.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Well,with this gentleman now back in harness,perhaps we will see a direct electrified service from Navan to Temple Bar !!!

He does know his way around Kildare Street AND knows how to negotiate a "Good Deal"....;)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/anger-as-dempsey-makes-comeback-in-culture-role-

There's a 404 error on that link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,290 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AlekSmart wrote: »

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/anger-as-dempsey-makes-comeback-in-culture-role-30185872.html
    Link fixed, but it doesn't seem to be on-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cinephille1888

I follow the discussion here regularly but rarely post.

I’ve a few observations and suggestions about possible future expansions of the Luas.

I feel Dart Underground, Metro North, and Metro West are vital investments that should be made in order to give Dublin the transport network it deserves. And the key here is network. Many here when making suggestion’s dismiss some projects or suggest point to point that suits some area’s and not others.

Luas expansion should compliment a more fully integrated network. It should not be a vanity project for well connected Ministers and Counsellors.

BRT/ Swiftway has the possibility of being too little, the wrong way, too late.

Luas Extensions post BXD need to be focused on the rail investment and density plans put forward in recent years.

Thus I suggest that on top of the Finglas extension to Meakstown/Silogue /Terminal 3 that has been partially explored. There should also be a branch over the Dunsinkin tip, and towards the National Aquatic Centre stop on Metro West, through Mulhuddart/ Tyrlestown and close to Clonee and Dunboyne for further rail development close to the Commuter/Dart line. A possible interchange could be considered in future for a further improved network.

There’s enough free land across this stretch to make it faster than the Finglas branch, and also room to run it only on the north side into Finglas, or as far as the Micro-Depot at Broombridge.

I believe the Green Line extension south to Bray is important, but the Fasroe Loop may not be, at least not until development on recent expansions are actually met.

Line F Lucan imo should also have either a more interchange friendly final stop in Lucan, for shuttle buses between Sligo and Kildare Lines, or actually split and meet both main railways.

For it’s college green terminus I feel it should be prepared for the suggested expansion to Ringsend via Pearse Street. This expansion however could go further and go to East Wall via Spencer Dock/ Samuel Beckett bridge, and take 2 further splits. One Heading along the canal as far as possible along the south bank, possibly Croke park, and the other to East Wall itself.

A Loop -link with the Red Line could also be considered, or included as part of same works. Cross city connections will already be met by the X of the Dart routes, and Metro North, but Luas capacity not be shunted to terminal stops could help capacity as Trams could run over 2 different lines in city centre.

Red Line as it currently stands is bulging at some times in the city centre. Even with Dart Underground the city will only grow, and so will demand for network connections.

Other Lines should be considered, but without removing traffic with major investments the road space does not exist in most of the city for Proper BRT services, especially on many North Inner City roads.

Express buses that imo could complement a rapid transit network are (separate from Existing DB routes or future tenders):

Headways of 5-7 mins at peak.

Blanch via Finglas to Raheny/sutton via the North Circular Road.

( Why not build a link road through the old dump and leave an eco park around it. This may leave a less dense stretch on the route ruining catchment, but added attractions and the speed/time advantage could help justify it.)

Clondalkin to SSG via Crumlin road and the “R110” through Dolphins Barn. (Meeting all major Rapid transit routes as best it can.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I was just thinking about the Lucan line

Why have it stop at Collage green? They should keep building out east,

Link up Grand canal dock -> Ringsend -> Sandymount (Landsdown rd) -> RDS -> St Vincents -> Donnybrook (RTE) -> UCD

Then have 2 branch off to Dun Laoghaire and an other to the Green line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

There's a big gap to the North, and realistically, some consideration needs to be given to filling it. Finglas, Charlestown, The airport via St Margarets are all valid, the Northern industrial estates are conspicuous by their absence of decent public transport, Hollystown, Blanchardstown Hospital, all need better services.

Then, there's the thorny issue of how to get people to and from the new Prison site at Thornton Hall, and it would do no harm to have a decent rail link to the second largest town in Meath, Ashbourne, given the appallingly bad bus options at present, 2 routes to Dublin and 1 to Drogheda.

The Old N2 would be ideal as a tram route, it's way wide enough for tram tracks and the traffic lanes, pretty straight, and not overly hilly. There's more than enough space to build some decent park and ride sites, which might even reduce the traffic in to the city. There's plenty of open land that could provide maintenance depot facilities.

As for the political will to do it, that's a horse of a very different colour. I doubt I will see any of this in my lifetime, given how long it took to get the M50 built, and then modified to actually work properly.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Surely Ashbourne is way too far out of Dublin for a light rail urban rail link??

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cinephille1888

cgcsb wrote: »
    Surely Ashbourne is way too far out of Dublin for a light rail urban rail link??

Exactly.

Unless Fingal County council had a specific rail led development plan across the rural areas into meath, and worked with that part of Meath to link ashbourne, no such link would make sense.

It'd be better to run higher frequency buses down the M2 and N2 to Charlestown and Metro-west and Finglas Luas extensions.

That's the only way to up Ashbournes connection to Dublins wider network without crazy expense.

Yes New railroads across the land sound nice. This may even be more of an Inter-urban and light rail, than the Light Rail/tram of the Luas, but it would have very little catchment.

Commuter belt Meath is crying for strategic town planning in line with Dublin's expansion, but it will never happen.

Since rural Meath blocked the old rail alignment politically and with a sewer, and they trumpeted the M3 over the Dunboyne branch, then placed the toll before the last stop... well they, just don't want proper development.

They want every failed type of building and development that raises taxes and makes local businessmen and donners happy. God forbid their new and existing citizens can reach employment easily or spend less on petrol...

The Commuter belt should thus be consolidated around the Metro West Corridor and a green belt barrier provided on the border with Meath to remind them, "Your years of poor planning is bad for everyone, look at this well designed neighbourhood".

I would say Luas to Bray isn't the worst idea because that area is almost continuously built up with Dublin so you have a catchment for high frequency services. Commuter towns separated from the urban area are best served by mainline rail and/or frequent bus services, complemented by park and ride facilities to accommodate rural catchments.

Urban light rail isn't really appropriate outside of continuously urban areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

Surely Ashbourne is way too far out of Dublin for a light rail urban rail link?
    13.6 miles "too far" for light rail? There are far longer light rail lines than that.

Never mind the relative ease of putting an urban railway alignment in the median of a dual carriageway or motorway—this is another thing that has been done since the latter half of the 20th century.

But then again, the government of Ireland opts for cheaper (in quality rather than price) urban "light rail" that operates no faster than 43 mph rather than the "tram-train" variety which can operate up to 70 mph (or faster in some cases) and share alignment with the general railway network if needs be. Nor was it ever considered to put these trams underground in the city centre, making it the beginnings of a metro in earnest instead.

MGWR wrote: »
    13.6 miles "too far" for light rail? There are far longer light rail lines than that.

It's not 'too far' it's too far to go outside an urban area which is why a less frequent heavy rail link would be more appropriate. The population catchment between Finglas and Ashbourne would be far to small to support frequent urban light rail. A Commuter heavy rail link would be more appropriate.
    But then again, the government of Ireland opts for cheaper (in quality rather than price) urban "light rail" that operates no faster than 43 mph rather than the "tram-train" variety which can operate up to 70 mph (or faster in some cases) and share alignment with the general railway network if needs be.
    I can't think of any such system off the top of my head in Europe, nor do I see the point of such a system. Urban light rail and heavy commuter/intercity rail are two different species with entirely different aims.
    Nor was it ever considered to put these trams underground in the city centre, making it the beginnings of a metro in earnest instead.

I think it was but that was considered to be over designing. In the 1990's Ireland was still something of a backwater, public transport infrastructure had an air of 'new fangled whatchyamacallit' about it. An attitude broadly supported by the rag tabloids who often spouted on about how nobody would use luas. We are paying for it now, luas is exceeding it's capacity during peak hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's not 'too far' it's too far to go outside an urban area which is why a less frequent heavy rail link would be more appropriate. The population catchment between Finglas and Ashbourne would be far to small to support frequent urban light rail. A Commuter heavy rail link would be more appropriate.

I can't think of any such system off the top of my head in Europe, nor do I see the point of such a system. Urban light rail and heavy commuter/intercity rail are two different species with entirely different aims.

I think it was but that was considered to be over designing. In the 1990's Ireland was still something of a backwater, public transport infrastructure had an air of 'new fangled whatchyamacallit' about it. An attitude broadly supported by the rag tabloids who often spouted on about how nobody would use luas. We are paying for it now, luas is exceeding it's capacity during peak hours.
    which is why you never do things on the basis of what the gutter trash rags might say, won't happen

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement