Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay Breweries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BeerNut wrote: »
    You buy the product they sell at the price they set, or you don't. Same goes for every other brewery, pub or consumer product.

Right. So there should never be any discussion about price or value in relation to beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Right. So there should never be any discussion about price or value in relation to beer?

the very fact that this thread exists says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭AlanDeGenerous

Pretty sure that was sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭squonk

I'm one of those who started a previous thread about GBB and their pricing policy. I too had noticed that their prices had gone up. I was a Salt House regular in Galway and saw the regular beers like the ale and full sail go up from €3.90 to €5 which was one of the reasons I made my original post.

It really doesn't look like anything has changed with GBB in the intervening time. I'm in LImerick so I'm not near any GBB pubs anymore but hearing that they've dropped the loyalty cards is pretty poor.

I know their quality has improved and Buried At Sea is a great beer and OFAF is excellent. I too wasn't pushed about the original offerings but they've improved over time. I do think they're looking to maximise their return on the beers. I couldn't blame them but the prices they're charging are on the higher end of the Galway price spectrum. I used to be able to get a pint of Hooker for €3.90 or even €3 in some pubs but that'd doubtless gone up now.

Reading this thread I'm getting a sense that a lot here are circling the wagons. I know nobody is being forced to go to the GBB pubs however you can't just glibly excuse it eithe with an 'If you don't like it, don't buy it' argument. If they were forced to increase costs because of their work on increased quality, then that is somewhat understandable but they've looked like they were price gouging before (especially as they have a very large foothold in the market). Costs and quality concerns could have been used to defend against that contention however ending the loyalty card scheme makes the appearance of price gouging as clear as day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Noticed in ATG (assuming the other GBB pubs are the same) that draft Brewdog beers now only come in 2/3rd pints

Cost €5 IIRC

Noticed in ATG (assuming the other GBB pubs are the same) that draft Brewdog beers now only come in 2/3rd pints

Cost €5 IIRC

no, the cost €6

Also costing €6 in ATG are "guest beers" in 2/3 pint glasses - including some sub 5% beers, which is taking the piss a bit - but I didn't buy any.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

no, the cost €6

Also costing €6 in ATG are "guest beers" in 2/3 pint glasses - including some sub 5% beers, which is taking the piss a bit - but I didn't buy any.

€6 for a 2/3 pint of sub 5% beer? It would want to be made with the tears of Jesus for that price.

• Site Banned Posts: 348 ✭✭Khomeini

snowblind wrote: »
    Not exclusively in capitalism! In my utopian society one could do that too...:rolleyes:

If we were just voting with our feet and not complaining at all, the internet would be a very quiet place indeed. The fact that a company has the right to choose their pricing, doesn't necessarily mean that one would have to accept it without talking about it at all.

But as I said, I don't see a problem in this particular case. I don't see GBB prices as specifically high compared to (for example) UK, Finnish or Italian craft beer prices at all. Plus the stuff is often super fresh. edit: and their newest beers I find are much nicer than anything I've tried from Fran Well.

When it comes to bottle sizes, I don't have a favourite. For sub 6% beers I would prefer a 0.5l size, but also there are a bunch of beers on the top shelves in bombers and wine sized bottles that are very complex, sour and/or strong flavoured, and sometimes I'd love to buy them in 0.33l sizes for private consumption. But essentially if all beer was sold in 0.5l cans I'd be pretty happy. I think we might need some lessons from North Korea on how to attain such uniformity of production :pac:

When have you ever tasted Korean beer?

It's lovely.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

This is what pisses me off the most about GBB prices:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/drinkers-on-duty-as-microbrewers-enjoy-excise-cut-25953591.html

They enjoy massive tax breaks and still charge through the nose for their beers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I look forward to all the new craft bars opened by people in this thread seeing as how its so easy so

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dregin wrote: »
    This is what pisses me off the most about GBB prices:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/drinkers-on-duty-as-microbrewers-enjoy-excise-cut-25953591.html

They enjoy massive tax breaks and still charge through the nose for their beers.

I'm no expert, nor am I here to defend any micro, but at a guess those "massive tax breaks" still leave them with a massive uphill struggle while competing against the likes of Diageo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zebra3 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, nor am I here to defend any micro, but at a guess those "massive tax breaks" still leave them with a massive uphill struggle while competing against the likes of Diageo.

From that link it says that Messrs save €25K a year from the tax break. Hardly earth shattering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

I can; I don't.

Fair enough I'll take your word for it. Though I'd be lying if I said I didn't find it difficult to believe you.

You buy the product they sell at the price they set, or you don't. Same goes for every other brewery, pub or consumer product.

If only it was that easy, it's not like the vast majority of pubs are craft beer emporiums is it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

upforit101 wrote: »
    it's not like the vast majority of pubs are craft beer emporiums is it?
    It's not, though it's not like Galway Bay Brewery has a monopoly on craft beer outlets either. It's a competitive market and there's always another option for someone who doesn't want to pay what GBB (or anyone else) asks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The way I see it is that while GBP have put up their prices over the last few years, so have many others. Even Sweetman's have put up their prices, though at €4.50 a pint for their own stuff, it's still great value and they have one beer still at €4.

GBP have some bargain beers from time to time, there is usually a €4 bucket of beer.

In Dublin, GBP are far from a monopoly.

I should say for transparency that Beoir members get .50c vouchers (20 of them) for Galway Bay Beers in the pubs so for us, their own beer isn't as expensive. That said, I don't always buy a GB beer when in one of their pubs so I pay the same as everyone else for other beer.
    I do find them expensive sometimes but no more so than many places in the city centre (Dublin) and I know where I would rather be drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I personally find them pretty expensive, so I almost never go there now. I actually still have all my Beoir vouchers intact - I should probably use them actually!
    In the same vein, bottled OFAF is just a crazy price in off licences, so I haven't touched it. It's a lovely beer, but not worth that money imo. I'll happily buy two other Irish craft beers or an interesting import instead with my money!

If you find them expensive, take your custom elsewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

slayerking wrote: »
    I personally find them pretty expensive, so I almost never go there now. I actually still have all my Beoir vouchers intact - I should probably use them actually!
    Full Sail in AtG and The Black Sheep is €4.60 a pint with a voucher, which I reckon is very decent value. Though I don't think I've had a pint of it since I used my last one.

How have you done the maths if you don't know what a business's overheads are? You're just taking a wild guess.

What if after all the costs are taken into consideration the business is coming out with a 5% profit. Is that acceptable? How about 10%? Or even 20%?

Should a business have to list their profit margins on a board before a purchase is made?

Tube wrote: »
    I said nothing about overheads, only gross margin on product.

Either way you're still just guessing. Just like the rest of us you haven't a clue what their costs are.

• Advertisement

Do you understand what gross margin is? If I buy a keg and the cost per pint is €1.90 and I sell it for €5.30, the gross margin is €3.40. If I can brew and it costs €0.90 per pint and I sell for €4.20, the gross margin is €3.50.

Do you understand what speculation is?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Conversation going nowhere. G'night.

Conversation going nowhere. G'night.

Nice of you to delete all your posts. :rolleyes:

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nice of you to delete all your posts. :rolleyes:

haha, lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

no, the cost €6

It's €5 for 2/3 of brewdog beers. Reason for the price change is the suppliers (four corners) raised the price. GBB bars were charging €6.80 for 5am and punk, price increase would have put both up by about 50c each per pint so they decided to go with smaller servings instead. They ate considering just dropping draught brewdog beers altogether though.
    Bottles and cans of brewdog beers haven't changed price though.

Re: stormy port price increase, it's now 5.8% abv and a totally reworked recipe, price increase reflects the increase in production costs and duty.
    Full Sail and Bay Ale are both still cheaper than anything besides sweetmans beers in Dublin at €5.10 a pint, full sail being a 5.5% abv ipa is pretty good value.

Re: salt house, as far as I know they still offer Porterhouse Plain @ €4 per pint while full sail and bay ale are 4.55. Again, they still offer great value for money even if stormy port (the same beer UN name only) is more inexpensive than it was.

Oh and Bay Ale recently got a total recipe change too so expect a much better, malt forward red ale from that tap soon (if not already pouring).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

He's back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

What do ye think of the American Amber? I I'm a fan , great stuff .

jh79 wrote: »
    What do ye think of the American Amber? I I'm a fan , great stuff .

Thought it was a decent beer, think Sweetmans Intergalactic and The Troubled Hooker colab were both better though.

Think the sweetmans blows all Irish ambers I've had so far out of the water tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

slayerking wrote: »
    He's back

Guess whos back :)

Advertisement