Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bodybuilding Debate, Broscience Vs Hard Science

• 25-03-2013 2:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭

Found this a good watch and thought others might enjoy it. It really does show up the old fashioned broscience for what it is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AMT

As I say to the scrawny dudes when they butt in univited to whatever me and my mates are talking about on the gym floor...

You go your way kid and I'll go mine and we'll see who ends up bigger, more muscled and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Without knowing too much about him, and after only watching 30/40 mins, I get the distinct feeling that Ian is full of waffle (not saying he is wrong) just that he is waffling. From a scientific stance, he provides no evidence for his claims that research refutes this/that, without reference.

I get the distinct feeling that he has read some research, while not actually taking a critical eye on the methodology/testing/inference approaches. Moreover, is the control group used in the research he has read appropriate for a body building discussion.

To be brief, (pressed for time), I get the distinct feeling he's read more than he understands, and feels he is more knowledgable than he is.

To be crude, he claims he's here to refute all the "so called gurus", while he doesn't appear to actually have a sport/nutrition science background (from what I can gather he has a Philosophy background not a scientific one). Just my 0.02e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 herbytosh

POSSY wrote: »
    Without knowing too much about him, and after only watching 30/40 mins, I get the distinct feeling that Ian is full of waffle (not saying he is wrong) just that he is waffling. From a scientific stance, he provides no evidence for his claims that research refutes this/that, without reference.

I get the distinct feeling that he has read some research, while not actually taking a critical eye on the methodology/testing/inference approaches. Moreover, is the control group used in the research he has read appropriate for a body building discussion.

To be brief, (pressed for time), I get the distinct feeling he's read more than he understands, and feels he is more knowledgable than he is.

To be crude, he claims he's here to refute all the "so called gurus", while he doesn't appear to actually have a sport/nutrition science background (from what I can gather he has a Philosophy background not a scientific one). Just my 0.02e.

can't see the link but saw you mentioned the name Ian??

Dont tell me its Ian Mccarthy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

I get the Distinct feeling much

herbytosh wrote: »
    can't see the link but saw you mentioned the name Ian??

Dont tell me its Ian Mccarthy

Yup, it's Ian Mc Carthy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Your man Ian is quite annoying. Hes like the kid from school who "thinks" he knows it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

I so wanna post a link to brosciencelife YouTube channel but im on my phone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

"Muscle Grinding Cash Badger"

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Ah man thats too funny:D!

• Advertisement

Yup, it's Ian Mc Carthy

should have known...

if science = more muscle gains why does it look like a sparrows kneecap has more muscle mass than Mr.Mc Carthy

chaps a goon

hes blocked me from youtube aswell..give him a piece of your mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

if science = more muscle gains why does it look like a sparrows kneecap has more muscle mass than Mr.Mc Carthy
    Is it because knowing how to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing?

Hypothetically he could be the most unfit person in the world and it wouldn't change the validity of what he says. (Though I've never heard of the guy, so I have no idea how valid any of the stuff he says is.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Jeesh people involved in health/fitness/bodybuilding get so hung up on this stuff. You can be efficient without having absolutely everything down to a tee and backed up by irrefutable scientific research.

I'm all for 'clever' and informed training but I reckon if people hung up on 'broscience' stopped doing so much research and instead just trained hard then they'd look a lot better.

jive wrote: »
    Jeesh people involved in health/fitness/bodybuilding get so hung up on this stuff. You can be efficient without having absolutely everything down to a tee and backed up by irrefutable scientific research.

I'm all for 'clever' and informed training but I reckon if people hung up on 'broscience' stopped doing so much research and instead just trained hard then they'd look a lot better.

yeah but naturals need all the help they can get...

That broscience life is good. Trying not to laugh with a sleeping baby is bad. I lost it to the there will be grunts episode

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

I've seen a fair few of his videos, and found him very good. He goes into more detail about studies and experiments when talking about a specific subject. Very logical person.
    Your man Ian is quite annoying. Hes like the kid from school who "thinks" he knows it all.

Maybe rather than come out with these blanket statements about him, you'd have more credence if you coherently refuted something(s) he's said.

I can see how people don't like his personality, but that's nothing really got to do with the content of what he says.
    should have known...

chaps a goon

hes blocked me from youtube aswell..give him a piece of your mind

lol, maybe he blocked you because he doesn't want to entertain keyboard warriors who have no interest (or are not able to) have a logical debate with him and just throw around personal insults.

Blatter wrote: »
    I've seen a fair few of his videos, and found him very good. He goes into more detail about studies and experiments when talking about a specific subject. Very logical person.

Maybe rather than come out with these blanket statements about him, you'd have more credence if you coherently refuted something(s) he's said.

I can see how people don't like his personality, but that's nothing really got to do with the content of what he says.

lol, maybe he blocked you because he doesn't want to entertain keyboard warriors who have no interest (or are not able to) have a logical debate with him and just throw around personal insults.

have no interest??lol

im 6'1 215lbs 9%bf

I think I have interest in this subject

I'm not saying what he says is wrong.

I just ment that he seems like a certain lad I went to school with, who if you were in a discussion with him, he had no interest really in what you had to say. In his mind what you say has no credence. The other guy (I cant remember his name) was a lot more accepting of his arguement.

Even during the video Ian was surprised by how little they had argued and how then even had similar views on issues. He obviously was just thinking I'm going into a discussion with a broscience meathead.

He went into the discussion, with a terrible attitude and this is why I said what I said.

have no interest??lol

im 6'1 215lbs 9%bf

So can you tell me what exactly do you disagree with what McCarthy says then?

Do you think meal frequency has an effect on metabolism?

Do you think carbs are bad for you at night?

What exactly do you have a problem with what he refutes?
    I'm not saying what he says is wrong.

I just ment that he seems like a certain lad I went to school with, who if you were in a discussion with him, he had no interest really in what you had to say. In his mind what you say has no credence. The other guy (I cant remember his name) was a lot more accepting of his arguement.

Even during the video Ian was surprised by how little they had argued and how then even had similar views on issues. He obviously was just thinking I'm going into a discussion with a broscience meathead.

He went into the discussion, with a terrible attitude and this is why I said what I said.

OK fair enough, I didn't really get that sort of vibe from him though.

OK fair enough, I didn't really get that sort of vibe from him though.

Ive actually been researching him more since this thread opened.

I have to say I dont like the guy at all.

Im all for hard science and i think it greatly helps sports but im not a fan of Ian.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 173 ✭✭Not a person

have no interest??lol

im 6'1 215lbs 9%bf

So you`ve a BMI of about 28?? Overweight, close to obese!?

Ah no, with 9% Body fat, you must have alot of muscle mass. Do you even lift?

So you`ve a BMI of about 28?? Overweight, close to obese!?

Ah no, with 9% Body fat, you must have alot of muscle mass. Do you even lift?

Herbytosh is a genetic beast lobster, don't angry him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Not sure anything is 'shown up' to any great extent. McCarthy is extremely articulate but he was faced with a very reasonable foil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

After watching the above video and then browsing through a number of Youtube videos, I have to agree that I do not like Ian McCarthy. He comes across as such a know it all and very arrogant as he sees himself as a higher intellectual than all other bodybuilders.

Dave has prepped many people for bodybuilding contests and has years of experience as they say the proof is in the (protein) pudding. Ian on the other hand seems to read a lot of studies, but has never gotten someone contest ready, or even close to it. He mentions 3DMJ as people who have got people ready while using his approach, but I would be very skeptical if these guys are actually dieting on iifym and are not using some kind of assistance. Also we never hear of the people who failed to get show ready using this approach, but since getting contest ready is different for everybody, I am sure that there are a fair amount of their clients that the iifym approach has not worked for.

Also while browsing Youtube I found comments from Ian about Dave, criticizing his entire bodybuilding career and naming more successful bodybuilders who he believes have used the iifym approach to win their titles :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

My view is studies are great but they're not a one size fits all as a lot are on untrained/assisted people.

Even Ian's favourite "gurus" like Lyle McDonald say bodybuilders have been doing things before the science proved it. Though he is responding to an American audience and there is a lot of broscience on bb.com

Robin Williams has something to say to Ian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Dave Pulcinella once said there are only 6 foods that work in order to create the leanest body possible...

This is nothing short of retarded, why anyone would limit themselves to such a ****ty bland diet is beyond me, this sort of advice deserves to be ridiculed. The Youtube fitness community is full of people who spout this kind of non sense. Ian at least offers a different approach with IIFYM while still always stressing how important it is to not just stuff your face with fast food, cake etc..

Dislike him all you want but the fact of the matter is he offers some of the best, most truthful advice.

He also collaborates with Alan Aragon and Eric Helmes. He also uses some of Lyle's material.

I also understand Matt Ogus and 3DMJ have been very successful with the IIFYM approach.

This is nothing short of retarded, why anyone would limit themselves to such a ****ty bland diet is beyond me

Who cares if it's bland, if it works it works. If a bodybuilder is worried about his food being too bland then he should just give up.

JJayoo wrote: »
    Who cares if it's bland, if it works it works. If a bodybuilder is worried about his food being too bland then he should just give up.

But it doesn't need to be bland! Eating stuff that tastes like cardboard all day may work but it's not in any way necessary and shouldn't be pushed as such.

• Advertisement

Don't know how much relevance this is but I think a certain amount of hard science and broscience work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

But it doesn't need to be bland! Eating stuff that tastes like cardboard all day may work but it's not in any way necessary and shouldn't be pushed as such.

In fairness that was during a show prep and if limiting your food to 6 items makes you win, then BBers will do it.

In fairness that was during a show prep and if limiting your food to 6 items makes you win, then BBers will do it.

No need for it though, I've heard of some naturals that practice IIFYM eating poptarts only a few weeks out.

Bodybuilders have this notion that a meal has to be bland and tasteless to be effective which is not true, it's a real masochist attitude.

It's a real unhealthy view of food IMO that shouldn't be pushed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Wait sorry. Is this "science" guy pushing pop tarts with no emphasis on food quality, or have I missed something??

Holy ****ing ****. It doesn't matter if you eat pizza or chicken if it fits your macros? This Thread needs to be locked right now and that skinny little **** needs to be disemboweled. Don't fall for this crap people.

Hanley wrote: »
    Holy ****ing ****. It doesn't matter if you eat pizza or chicken if it fits your macros? This Thread needs to be locked right now and that skinny little **** needs to be disemboweled. Don't fall for this crap people.

lol strong bro science. u tink the body rly notices the difference between broccoli and pizza?? c'mon bro use ur mind. once it hits that sweet sweet stomach pH it's all about them there macros man, everything else just gets destroyed by dat der peristalsis namsayin? protein/carbs/fats all dat counts bro ya scurvy cur

i know a guy who was 8% and just ate pizza. #caseclosed

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »
    i know a guy who was 8% and just ate pizza. #caseclosed

How about 7% with a habit of eating whole apple pies in one sitting. Though I don't do that any more because the sugar crash tends to be a bit of a balls.

How about 7% with a habit of eating whole apple pies in one sitting. Though I don't do that any more because the sugar crash tends to be a bit of a balls.

how about 6% and rhubarb crumbles? my dad could beat up your dad

With custard?

Nope, he never once claims that. You're going off at the deep end here.

He (and most others that are a fan of IIFYM) claim that micronutrients, what type of fat you consume etc. is important but once you eat what you need of these, filling up the rest of your macros with whatever you want (which probably won't be a whole lot), won't make any difference to your goals.

Nope, he never once claims that. You're going off at the deep end here.

He (and most others that are a fan of IIFYM) claim that micronutrients, what type of fat you consume etc. is important but once you eat what you need of these, filling up the rest of your macros with whatever you want (which probably won't be a whole lot), won't make any difference to your goals.

Can you explain that again because its not making sense?

I think he's saying the quality of your food doesn't matter once it fits your macros. Is that not correct?

• Advertisement

Can you explain that again because its not making sense?

I think he's saying the quality of your food doesn't matter once it fits your macros. Is that not correct?

He pretty much explains it himself here for a few mins from 2:25.

Some of us prefer to eat for function rather than pleasure. Food is fuel for the body to grow bigger and stronger and it's a simpler, more disciplined outlook in life of...

AMT wrote: »
    it's a simpler, more disciplined outlook in life of...

It's kind of arbitrary though, isn't it?

You could pick all sorts of rules for your diet, and it would probably take discipline to stick to those rules, and while discipline is great and all, it's not really most people's end goal is it?

I think food has to be someway exciting. I know myself I went off track a little the past week or so regarding my diet because I got bored of what I was eating. Flavours became the same cardboard taste day in day out. I think it's better for the body to spice up variety, like workouts change your food every once and a while.

It's hard to keep your head in the game when there's so much food thats on the go, easier to eat but I think if you begin to look forward to meals that aren't always the same you'll still be getting your macronutrient needs, you'll still be eating healthy and you're still gonna get big as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :pac:

Variety is the spice of life ;)

Agreed... 95% of these people's goals are to sleep with hot chicks and/or show those guys that called me small and weak. Then again they aren't bodybuilders and they don't last.

While it is arbitrary, there's no discipline in committing to a rigid diet of pizza and ice cream. The challenge is in fighting your physiology which craves those sugars and fats and rising above the influence of others who want you to fail selfish motives.

It's a game of mind over body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

I think it's better for the body to spice up variety, like workouts change your food every once and a while.
    Yep, you need to keep the stomach guessing! :rolleyes:

meijin wrote: »
    Yep, you need to keep the stomach guessing! :rolleyes:

Much like muscle memory :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I got through 8 minutes of it and stopped.
    I don't care if he is right, wrong or whatever.
    The kids a dick, weighs about 40kilos and is a dick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It is an interesting debate, I agree with the geeky fellow on the science, but....

1. Science tells us what works on average. This may of may not work on a individual basis.
    2. The discipline of eating regularly is part of it. If you can bring that discipline to your eating then it will follow in everything else. Its a focus.
    3. The messenger is important. I cannot trust the advice from the geek because he looks scrawny. If he were big I would believe him more.
    4. The body-builder is talking about high calorie intake, the kid look like he is on about 200 calories a day. Try taking 5000kcal in 3 sitting with clean food, thats a lot of chewing.

The problems is the kid is correct in his argument, but because he is a whiney, tiny fellow who seems very impressed that he is educated he argues endlessly with somebody that has done it.

It is an interesting debate, I agree with the geeky fellow on the science, but....

1. Science tells us what works on average. This may of may not work on a individual basis.
    2. The discipline of eating regularly is part of it. If you can bring that discipline to your eating then it will follow in everything else. Its a focus.
    3. The messenger is important. I cannot trust the advice from the geek because he looks scrawny. If he were big I would believe him more.
    4. The body-builder is talking about high calorie intake, the kid look like he is on about 200 calories a day. Try taking 5000kcal in 3 sitting with clean food, thats a lot of chewing.

The problems is the kid is correct in his argument, but because he is a whiney, tiny fellow who seems very impressed that he is educated he argues endlessly with somebody that has done it.

He was much bigger at one stage but just didn't keep up eating the amount he had to. He isn't a dedicated bodybuilder and has no problem admitting it. He also realises genetics is a big factor in it all. Worth remembering that he used to be anorexic as well. It was only a few years ago he was 100 pounds or so.

Edit: There would be other people that subscribe to McCarthy's pov and are in fantastic shape.

• Advertisement
Advertisement