Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incompetent FAS

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    You aren't needed, there is too many. What do you think would happen if you all were certified? There still won't be any work.

Fas cannot make companies take you. You do not know what they have done to try to get companies to take you. EU law prevents many things such as providing free labour en mass that would effect tender processes.

Go ahead moan and do nothing yourself, it will not lead to a happy life and makes you come across quite badly. Maybe you would be different in person but I have met many people express similar views and I would describe them as having a chip on their shoulder and an ridiculous sense of entitlement. I am not sure you are even aware that is how it comes across.

If you feel you are being failed by the system do something about it. Look at what one guy did for himself by taking out a billboard ad. Pool together and help yourselves.

I am under the distinct impression that many just want their certs so they can leave the country. With such high demand you could get a foreign company to help you too. There is a lot that can be done, start thinking about that and stop moaning.

If you bothered to read my first post you would see im fully qualified. Im in full time employment, I dont see why I would have a chip on my shoulder so theres no need for the condesending post

Your view about what would happen if you were all certified, their is no work is ridiculous. If these lads got qualified they could leave the country to get work thus getting being off the dole or even use their qualification to up skill. Alot of courses wont let you on them unless you have a trade cert. Having the attitiude of sure theres no work for you so we just wont help is wrong! In that case why not just scrap apprenticeships now.

I am under the distinct impression that many just want their certs so they can leave the country. With such high demand you could get a foreign company to help you too. There is a lot that can be done, start thinking about that and stop moaning.

It would be a sad state of affairs if irish apprentices had to goto foreign companys to help them complete their apprenticeships just because their own goverment doesnt want to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

LOL at Bette! :D

FAS are about as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike! I went in to see them, and was back out in two minutes. Young boy was telling me all the websites I could use for my job search. I already knew about them, and had to tell him several more! The courses are worse than useless too. If you have a FAS qualification, I think employers just look at them and laugh...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

Calgary22 wrote: »
    Its not a Fas qualification its fetac trade cert so it shows how little you no about the subject we are talking about:D. a fetac trade cert is worth a hell of a lot more now then many uni and it degrees are.

Really? It's a piece of paper. It also should be perforate along it's width at 13.5 centimetre distances. The ability to do a job should be measured in the most practical way and that is by a competent, prospective employer and not some leeching manpower agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

m.j.w does it reach such requirements?:D as you can read from my posts i have not got mine yet. i agree about the ability to do the job skills etc. but the fact is i cant work in my trade legally until i get my trade cert. so i am kinda screwed arnt i :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bette

m.j.w does it reach such requirements?:D as you can read from my posts i have not got mine yet. i agree about the ability to do the job skills etc. but the fact is i cant work in my trade legally until i get my trade cert. so i am kinda screwed arnt i :D

That is what is wrong in this employment market. Paper is worth more that skill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Davy r

Ray Palmer have you done an apprenticeship yourself?

I no i agree and i cant even emigrate either as my trade is also regulated and i was told it would be illegal to do so in that country. and i cant continue on in apprenticeship in there country as i am not a PR. so i have two options stay here and try get my trade cert which will allow me to work legally worldwide and get better skills or emigrate and work as a labourer for 14$ and hour that might be fine now when i am in my early 20's but will not be much good when i am in my 50's. so i am opting for the first option to stay and get my cert. while i still have the support of my family. as people told me if i leave without my trade cert it will be the biggest mistake i will ever make. and it would be.

Davy r wrote: »
    Ray Palmer have you done an apprenticeship yourself?

No but i think he works with fas:D;)

Haha he does actually . Dictating to people who have nearly completed apprenticeships. Hes sounds like a HR person

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

No personal comments in this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Its not a Fas qualification its fetac trade cert so it shows how little you no about the subject we are talking about:D. a fetac trade cert is worth a hell of a lot more now then many uni and it degrees are.
    College qualifications are hetac and fetac awarded. They are worth the same. You have a fundamental misunderstanding of what you are getting and why the award system was changed. It is basically to allow peoples' education be comparable. Fetac trade is only more valuable in your field not for general roles.
    m.j.w wrote: »
    It would be a sad state of affairs if irish apprentices had to goto foreign companys to help them complete their apprenticeships just because their own goverment doesnt want to help.
    Yet you already stated what people would do if they were qualified. As I know that would be the plan I suggested a way to do that. Don't care if you don't want to do anything. The government doesn't need to help you as there aren't jobs for you. There is no need while other countries want them.
    If you bothered to read my first post you would see im fully qualified. Im in full time employment, I dont see why I would have a chip on my shoulder so theres no need for the condesending post

Your view about what would happen if you were all certified, their is no work is ridiculous. If these lads got qualified they could leave the country to get work thus getting being off the dole or even use their qualification to up skill. .

What I pointed out is you sound like somebody with a chip on your shoulder as does Calgary22. No suggestions to help your fellow apprentices other than getting somebody else to do it. A sense of entitlement combined with blaming other= chip on shoulder. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder it doesn't need you to have a logical reason. As somebody who has listened to your arguments I am letting you know how it appears. Don't believe me, I don't really care. You won't be able to hide it. Nobody wants to hire a moaner but they do hire people who are self motivated. Do you think you come across as self motivate or a moaner?

So your view on things is they are leaving the country anyway so lets not help them? Better to not help them get their cert and keep them in the country on the dole.

Dont see how you are mistaking me saying fas should be helping apprentices as self entitlement and as for the blame part I already stated in a previous post that it was not fas fault that these people are reduntant. I just said they should help them more which would be benifical to the apprentice and the country!

So your view on things is they are leaving the country anyway so lets not help them? Better to not help them get their cert and keep them in the country on the dole.!

Go back and read what I posted and you will see I said quite the opposite. If they are going to leave anyway why not get the companies who want them elsewhere to help them get certified so they can go. Why don't the apprentices organise it themselves? I don't see why they can't help themselves and rely on others to do it for them.
    Dont see how you are mistaking me saying fas should be helping apprentices as self entitlement and as for the blame part I already stated in a previous post that it was not fas fault that these people are reduntant. I just said they should help them more which would be benifical to the apprentice and the country!

Just don't believe me. I have told you how it is coming across. If you can't see it and think it is all completely justified there isn't much I can explain to you. You think I was condescending I don't need it explained to me why you think that, I don't agree but I understand why you said it. You don't appear to be able to look at what you are saying in the same critical nature and can't see it other posters either.

Yet you already stated what people would do if they were qualified. As I know that would be the plan I suggested a way to do that. Don't care if you don't want to do anything. The government doesn't need to help you as there aren't jobs for you. There is no need while other countries want them.

Are you suggesting that forgien companys take on Irish apprentices to help them get weeks towards their apprenticeships?

· If I am made redundant and can’t get work in Ireland, can I continue my apprenticeship abroad
    No, however work experience gained abroad may be considered for accreditation towards time served.

Even if they did accept it you cant work in the electrical trade in Aus/Canada unless you are either a qualified electrician or registered as an apprentice. I know for canada anyway and I think its the same for australia that the only way you can become an apprentice is if you are a permanent resident so thats that idea out the window.

Your post above clearly states what you think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

What I pointed out is you sound like somebody with a chip on your shoulder as does Calgary22. No suggestions to help your fellow apprentices other than getting somebody else to do it. A sense of entitlement combined with blaming other= chip on shoulder. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder it doesn't need you to have a logical reason. As somebody who has listened to your arguments I am letting you know how it appears. Don't believe me, I don't really care. You won't be able to hide it. Nobody wants to hire a moaner but they do hire people who are self motivated. Do you think you come across as self motivate or a moaner?

From the post immediately above yours.
    Eoin wrote: »
    No personal comments in this thread please.

So question again for Ray. Have you done an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I cannot see how that is relevant.

There are far more jobs in this country for which no apprenticeship system exists, than ones whch require an apprenticeship.

Any Ray clearly has a realistic view of the labour market in the building and related trades areas.

There are far more jobs in this country for which no apprenticeship system exists, than ones whch require an apprenticeship.

Any Ray clearly has a realistic view of the labour market in the building and related trades areas.

Are you Ray? Facepalm

Are you suggesting that forgien companys take on Irish apprentices to help them get weeks towards their apprenticeships?

· If I am made redundant and can’t get work in Ireland, can I continue my apprenticeship abroad
    No, however work experience gained abroad may be considered for accreditation towards time served.

Even if they did accept it you cant work in the electrical trade in Aus/Canada unless you are either a qualified electrician or registered as an apprentice. I know for canada anyway and I think its the same for australia that the only way you can become an apprentice is if you are a permanent resident so thats that idea out the window.

Your post above clearly states what you think.

Seriously you missed the point. Organise with an foreign company to get your weeks up in this country. THEN you can go to the other country as a fully qualified what ever. You seem to be suggesting it is not that long a time people need.

Very easy to set up a company and get a few contracts to fill the requirements.

• Advertisement

Hi Ray:D;)

No and it isn't relevant.

It most certainly is relevant as you seem to sit on your high horse and tell us what we should be doing when you clearly have no clue of the apprenticeship structure or fas for that matter.

So you havnt done one YET you judging and dictating to apprentices. My god mate could you get any lower.

It most certainly is relevant as you seem to sit on your high horse and tell us what we should be doing when you clearly have no clue of the apprenticeship structure or fas for that matter.

I know more about education certification and the workings of FAS than you. It is very obvious too. You laughable think your education is better than those who go to full time college or university. It isn't and you don't even have a qualification and don't know what to do.

I also know more about employment and how things are perceived.

<snip - unnecessary>

Oh wow that's really hurtful thanks:(

Right, that's enough handbags. Thread closed.

@Ray Palmer, tone it down in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement