Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC build help (~€600)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

thanks mono that's exactly what i'll do.

I'm getting ancy about building a pc from scratch - i've never done it, only added in HDDs and DVD-Drives etc. Have you guys any advice so I don't fry the components? Like really basic simple stuff i might overlook?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Some mistakes that new builders make come to mind...

Don't connect the USB connector to the firewire header on the board or vice versa. They look the same.

Make sure that you put the brass standoffs for the motherboard in before the motherboard itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Monotype wrote: »
    Don't connect the USB connector to the firewire header on the board or vice versa. They look the same.

Guilty. Fried a mouse on my first build. (In my defense, the paper manual was wrong, website was right).

Make absolutely sure which way round your CPU is, and that it's going in the socket correctly. Attempt to close the latch on an improperly seated chip and you'll ruin it. (not likely to happen, just don't rush this bit)

Yes, RAM modules do need that much force. No, you won't break them. (I was really surprised by this)

Poor mouse. :( Yeah, good point about RAM. Sometimes expansion cards need a bit of force too. It can be a little awful to get them out on occasion.

When following guides, beware of generalisations like putting two sticks of RAM into one colour or pressing a certain key for the BIOS. They vary from manufacturer to manufacturer so RTFM is advisable on top of any guide. :)

Awesome-o! Came this morning. It feels like Christmas, lol
    Will get to put it together this evening :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gratz bud, let's us know when you done so we can title you with your dark side badge ;)

Only getting to check out the stuff now! Marking out bro! Wasn't expecting this for another few days.

407541_326448547393468_100000849760774_857324_1495674674_n.jpg

(New monitor not pictured!)

Edit : I think I need a 2.5" -> 3.5" bay adapter for the SSD. I'll have to head into town tomorrow. Maplins? What should I ask for, would this do the trick? I don't see how it holds the SSD :confused:

...do you think it'd be ok if I just put the 2.5" SSD in the 3.5" bay and connected it for the day - pick up the adapter tomorrow, or will that overheat/damage it?

Technically, yes, but SSDs don't really to be mounted anywhere. I have mine tucked under my bottom hard drive cage, and before that it was hanging from the SATA cable. Lots of people velcro them to the back of the motherboard tray (which I'll probably do next time I re-wire the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

I have mine hanging using some elastic like this:

elasticsuspension.png

Does the job!:D

Hey guys, putting it together is going pretty slow since I've never done it before. But managed to attach the mobo + processor + heat sink, the graphics card and PSU. But the main problem is attaching the wiring from the PSU and the case. Could you please help me out?

I uploaded photos with descriptions to my facebook. (You'll need a FB account to see I think)

If you can't, i'll upload pics & description here.
    ASRock Z68 Diagram
    424916_326638167374506_100000849760774_857581_401403781_n.jpg

And ASRock Z68 Legend

431200_326638140707842_100000849760774_857580_2025090155_n.jpg

These are all PSU Cables. Can you tell me what number they connect to?

2 x 4-pronged blue wires labelled CP and U1

3 red daisy-chained wires, PC1 Express (6 prongs) SLI ready (6 prongs) and then a 2 pronged one

3 black daisy-chained 4-prong power leads and at the end of those, 1 small 4-pronged wire

4 black 4 daisy-chained sata cables

4 cables daisy-chained - sata to sata to molex power to molex power

power cable 20+ and 4P

from front of chassis, USB, HD audio and AC97

from front of chassis, Green = Reset SW, Red = HDD LED, Orange = Power Switch, Blue = 2 pronged power

Chassis Exhaust - Power cables (in and out)

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. Kind of at an impasse here :(

• Advertisement

Since i've got the Mobo/CPU/Heatsink/GPU/PSU/RAM installed, after the wiring all that's left is the SSD. I've an external DVD-Writer and the monitor connects externally to the GPU.

Also, there's a lonely small speaker attached via short red and black cables to a tiny 4-pronged end. What's that!:o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You have it wired up already?

i'm stuck on the mass of wires coming from the PSU. The PSU manual is almost non-existant and the ASRock one isn't very idiot-proof, lol. Could you have a look at my previous 2 posts and see if you can match the wire with the diagram? It'd help me out a lot :):)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ah I'm such a derp, misread it.

Roight, the 2 x 4-pronged blue wires labelled CP and U1: goes into label 3 on the figure.

The 3 red daisy-chained wires, PC1 Express (6 prongs) SLI ready (6 prongs) and then a 2 pronged one: plugs into the back of the graphics card. I think just one fits in, not entirely sure on your graphics card. Rest is for more power hungry cards/multiple GPUs

3 black daisy-chained 4-prong power leads and at the end of those, 1 small 4-pronged wire: goes into your chassis exhaust

The 4 black 4 daisy-chained sata cables: One into your SSD and the other into your HD, though you've got an external one so you don't need the second one. The rest is for extra HD's etc

The power cable 20+ and 4P goes into labelled ATXPWR1 - label 10 on the figure.

from front of chassis, USB, HD audio and AC97: USB into label 20 or 21 or 22, HD audio into label 28.

from front of chassis, Green = Reset SW, Red = HDD LED, Orange = Power Switch, Blue = 2 pronged power: goes into label 18. the pins should have PWR +/-, HD +/- labelled over the prongs so its pretty self explanatory.

Chassis Exhaust - Power cables (in and out): the 3 black daisy-chained 4-prong power leads and at the end of those, 1 small 4-pronged wire is used. The small 4 pronged wire goes into label 35 on the motherboard

That's it really. Make sure everything is seated correctly, plug your CPU fan into label 1, connect a sata cable from SSD to label 7/8/9/11/12/13 and away you go.

Hope that helps a bit

EDIT: I'm inspired to sort out my cables now :P Thanks :D

This is going fantastic! Have I told you that I love you!

Just the SSD and the fan that's attached to the window pane of the chassis and i think we're good to go!!!

Does it matter what power source i use for the SSD?

edit : the blue/white power cable, i think it's for the front fan -- does that connect to anything? I don't have a proper fan for it. but if i can get it to spin without one, happy days lol. Any ideas?

hooked everything up; monitor works but the new rig doesn't power on. Kettle lead works (tried it out with the monitor)...any suggestions? Like there's not a peep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Obvious one but easy missed, is their a little flipswitch on the back of the case, probably where the power cord goes in?

Enderghost is correct in all those cables, but just to double check the main ones to the system. You have connected to the motherboard:
    -A large 24 pin connector
    -An 8 pin connector
    -The orange & white connector for the power switch from the case. Also make sure that this is in the right pins.

Cheers, I'll go thru all the connections again. Weird though, it's completely dead - would the new comp need to be connected directly to the wall? I have it connected to a multi plug brIck.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Markd250

Maybe a stupid question - motherboard standoff screws are in the case, right?

• Advertisement

The screws that lift the mobo slightly off the case and screws screw into the mobo locking it into place? Yep! for better or worse the psu is completely dead when I plug it in and switch it on, any ideas?

Sorry I was not here to help ya, I was on bed :D. Waking up at 4:00 in the morning is not nice! ;)

So do you get some lights on motherboard itself? Even of it not turning on? The other thing: fans should be working from psu if you connect them directly. So this wy you can see if psu working or not.

Very comman issue: wrong way connecting from panel in to board. I did that mistake, because I had small paper explaining it, which was totally different from one in mobo manual.

Asemtioned before: check the pins on which mob is lifted in case.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

-Make sure the PSU is turned on, there's a little switch at the back of it.
    -Try booting using the button on the motherboard rather than the case switch.
    -Make sure the 24pin and the 8pin motherboard connectors are in the right way around and are secure.

Ah flip sorry, I fell asleep.

Pretty much what decon says. Make sure they are in correct, though the pins dont fit in any other way from what I'm aware of.

Another guess is that you have the PWR lead from the chassis to the motherboard on the wrong pins.

Thanks for ur replies, I'm sure it's something stupid but it's just not happening :( re-checked the wiring...

Would anyone be able to come over to have a quick look? I'm off O'Connell St.

Are there any LEDs on on the motherboard at all?

Nah it's platform shoes man! (dead) No lights or a peep of life. I'm sure it's the wiring, something's connected to the wrong part or piece.

I'll upload some pics from the inside, lemme know if you spot anything? Sorry for large photos.

405918_326926714012318_100000849760774_858069_1268069794_n.jpg

Closer look at above and below the graphics card

418717_326926737345649_100000849760774_858070_397851192_n.jpg

421476_326926670678989_100000849760774_858067_1255075369_n.jpg

Near the bottom there's a 4-daisy-chained lead (2 SATA, 2 Molex power) one power is going to the SSD; and the last power cable is attached to a power lead that goes to the front of the chassis.

There's a daisy-chain of molex power inputs and one is connected to the back extractor fan, the next to the blue/white cable

There's a loose red 2-pronged lead, the other red leads are going into the graphics card....and the AC97 i couldn't find a place for?

I hope someone can see something wrong!!! (thanks so much for your help....you guys are so awesome :))

Os that same mobo and parts after your smoke bomb event with fans? Just new psu?

There should be some sort of led on mobo. Very basic and small. It should light up even if pc not turned on. Just make sure psu is on.
    Like mentioned before: from panel connection. It's very easy to **** up there.

The other best thing to do: take everything apart and put it back together. Sometimes it can be some very silly small thing that is not connected etc.

• Advertisement

Is the switch at the back of the PSU turned on? ( I Position )

If yes, and nothing's happening, pull out the big 24-pin connector from the motherboard, and (turning the PSU off before-hand) get a paperclip - or anything metal - and stick it in port 16 (green) and any of the black ports (3, 5, 7, 15, 17, 18, 19). Then turn the PSU on at the back again.

This is the same thing as you turning the power on from your case / motherboard, and it'll rule out the PSU as an offending component, and point to the motherboard being at fault.

http://www.smps.us/atx-connector-20-24pin.jpeg

Oh, make sure to unplug all the other cables from the PSU first (just in case). Easiest bet is to pull them out from the PSU side, versus the individual components.

Advertisement