Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

Lumen wrote: »

hes got few crazy downhill kom's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Irish Rollerbladers Anonymous?

Could be, judging by his blading style my guess is that he has a Provisional license.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

doozerie wrote: »
    Speaking of shame, I saw a guy out roller-blading in the heat of yesterday afternoon. I glanced over as I passed him by, to see that he was wearing a balaclava under his helmet. I know that roller-blading isn't exactly widely accepted as a suitable pastime for an adult, but it seemed like an extreme length to go to to disguise himself.

...or maybe he is a professional ninja and simply forget to change out of his office clothes before his commute home.

I saw that dude going past the coffee shop in Marley park yesterday. Could've sworn I saw the same bloke on CNN during the week storming some government building in Ukraine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

doozerie wrote: »
    This is a curious one, looks like it could be fun to try though, it's called the Halfbike and they say it combines biking with jogging:

Halfbike-kolelinia-upright-bike-1.jpeg

Why are we calling cycling "biking" these days? It's all very American.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

I thought biking was a Triathlon word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

howdy people, I was talking to a friend the other day about this forum and the topic of the boards jersey came up, apparently he wants one, so, my question is, can you still get them or are they a once off kinda thing?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,649 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

howdy people, I was talking to a friend the other day about this forum and the topic of the boards jersey came up, apparently he wants one, so, my question is, can you still get them or are they a once off kinda thing?
    OK, so who wants to break the news???

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Beasty wrote: »

I've been holding off in the hope someone else might.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,649 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Actually I'll do it myself...

...basically the first person to ask is first in line to arrange the next order - fyi here's the last order thread

I've been holding off in the hope someone else might.
    Actually I'll do it myself...

...basically the first person to ask is first in line to arrange the next order - fyi here's the last order thread

Bo11ocks to that! :pac:

So I take there's another one happening at some stage then?

• Advertisement

So I take there's another one happening at some stage then?
    Once we have a "volunteer" ....

We tend to have 1 or 2 orders a year, but given the last one only closed a few weeks ago I would guess it could be a few months before anyone puts their hand up to do another

You could keep your eyes on the Cyclimng Adverts sub-forum as gear does come up for sale occasionally

We tend to have 1 or 2 orders a year, but given the last one only closed a few weeks ago I would guess it could be a few months before anyone puts their hand up to do another

You could keep your eyes on the Cyclimng Adverts sub-forum as gear does come up for sale occasionally

Fair enough so, Well I won't be said volunteer :pac:

I'll check back from time to time, or just get my friend to sign up and make him do all the work

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

ror_74 wrote: »
    I thought biking was a Triathlon word.

That's even worse.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

I noticed a clicking sounds when braking the other day. The noise (from the front only) went away when I pulled a little harder on the lever. I originally thought the wheel might be a little out of true. It turns out there was some slight damage to the rim (new Zonda only about 300km on them!). It looked as if something hard like a flat screwdriver had contacted the rim. There was a slight burr at the outermost edge of the rim and a small nick in the centre of the rim sidewall.

I would estimate that the nick was about one tenth to one twentierth the thickness of the rim wall deep. Any way I blended the nick with some fine sandpaper and all seems ok. I hadn't realised the rims were quite so soft.

Anyone else experienced similar? What did you do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

God help me but...
    I was considering a brand new design to go with the caps and buffs on a minimum order basis ie whatever John says his min order for shorts and jersey (and socks?) is then it will be the first to get their name down up to that number.
    we could then look at bib tights and gilet winter jacket later in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

bcmf wrote: »
    God help me but...
    I was considering a brand new design to go with the caps and buffs on a minimum order basis ie whatever John says his min order for shorts and jersey (and socks?) is then it will be the first to get their name down up to that number.
    we could then look at bib tights and gilet winter jacket later in the year.

Include me in :)

Include me in :)
    OK. I will drop JD a line and see.
    A few rules:no exceptions:
    Min order then its closed.
    I do the design. Dont like it dont buy it. I have a low tolerance of whinging :pac:
    You must be able to pick up off me as it will be posted to me. North County Dub or D.15.
    More rules to come along as I think of them...:P

I noticed a clicking sounds when braking the other day. The noise (from the front only) went away when I pulled a little harder on the lever. I originally thought the wheel might be a little out of true. It turns out there was some slight damage to the rim (new Zonda only about 300km on them!). It looked as if something hard like a flat screwdriver had contacted the rim. There was a slight burr at the outermost edge of the rim and a small nick in the centre of the rim sidewall.

I would estimate that the nick was about one tenth to one twentierth the thickness of the rim wall deep. Any way I blended the nick with some fine sandpaper and all seems ok. I hadn't realised the rims were quite so soft.

Anyone else experienced similar? What did you do?
    I noticed the same on the front rim of a miche wheel I had. Didnt do anything just left it.Like you I noticed a small clicking when braking.

OK. I will drop JD a line and see.
    A few rules:no exceptions:
    Min order then its closed.
    I do the design. Dont like it dont buy it. I have a low tolerance of whinging :pac:
    You must be able to pick up off me as it will be posted to me. North County Dub or D.15.
    More rules to come along as I think of them...:P
    One rule for you - if you are changing the design you must get the approval of the office/Dav before finalising it

I am aware of the notification to the elders of anything that involves the use of Boards logo/name etc.

• Advertisement

Elder he my be, but I supect he's still younger than you .....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

going slightly over minimum order number wil reduce your cost so worth keeping that in mind.

Yeah I understand that but the problems that arise with sheer numbers regarding paymsnt and distribution really make a large order close to unworkable.
    I will close the order at 20.once I have approval from the village elder s that we can use the boards logo etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

D.I.D. Cycle4life with Dan Martin on June 7th

E80 registration fee in aid of Temple St

http://www.cycle4life.ie/

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Nothing worse than spending all of a long weekend on my good bike, to climb on to the commuter bike and find some fecker has filled the frame full of lead......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Its almost as bad as discovering that some fecker filled my belly full of fat over Easter :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Jawgap wrote: »
    Nothing worse than spending all of a long weekend on my good bike, to climb on to the commuter bike and find some fecker has filled the frame full of lead......

I added a B&M rear dynamo light to my SP front at the weekend and I'm almost certain that now there's more drag at times. Total wattage is ~3.6 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I've always found that dynamos set on the wall of the tyre create a fair amount of drag; the kind that runs on the tyre's tread don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Its almost as bad as discovering that some fecker filled my belly full of fat over Easter :mad:

Someone has been lowering cakes into my mouth while I sleep all year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

Idleater wrote: »
    I added a B&M rear dynamo light to my SP front at the weekend and I'm almost certain that now there's more drag at times. Total wattage is ~3.6 I think.

I'd surprised if you can it's only 0.6watts. I can't even notice the difference in resistance with my SON hub with a SON Edelux front and B&M secula rear switched on or of.
    I've always found that dynamos set on the wall of the tyre create a fair amount of drag; the kind that runs on the tyre's tread don't.

Idealeaters is a hub dynamo very few use those old bottle dynamos now.

Ahh, I'm old-fashioned; didn't realise time had moved on. I use bungee cord lights, less messing; only alternative I'd think about is Sugru-and-magnet-connected lights.

Ryath wrote: »
    I'd surprised if you can it's only 0.6watts. I can't even notice the difference in resistance with my SON hub with a SON Edelux front and B&M secula rear switched on or of.

Idealeaters is a hub dynamo very few use those old bottle dynamos now.

That's what I feared. I have a sneaking suspicion that the over consumption of a certain delicacy over the weekend might be more to blame... clutching at straws.

As an aside, the secula is a super neat little light. The commuter is now battery independent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's what I feared. I have a sneaking suspicion that the over consumption of a certain delicacy over the weekend might be more to blame... clutching at straws.

As an aside, the secula is a super neat little light. The commuter is now battery independent.

Ah, Secula......never heard of it and am looking for a rear dynamo light. Good? Just been googling it, looks neat. How small is it approx.? Is it dandy?
    ðŸ˜႒

Planet X wrote: »
    Ah, Secula......never heard of it and am looking for a rear dynamo light. Good? Just been googling it, looks neat. How small is it approx.?

I got the one that attaches to a mudguard and it's smaller than the reflector that was on it. 331ask is the model code. Roughly 5 cm tall and 4 wide I reckon.
    The standlight lasts a couple of minutes too, and overall is sufficiently bright during the day. Seems brighter than the db ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭Ryath

Planet X wrote: »
    Ah, Secula......never heard of it and am looking for a rear dynamo light. Good? Just been googling it, looks neat. How small is it approx.? Is it dandy?
    ðŸ˜႒

It's pretty compact about the size of a match box. I have the mudguard version on SKS cromoplastics. It's probably brighter than a smart 1/2 watt. I only have a lezyne microdrive to compare it to which is brighter than any rear light I've seen and it's nearly as visible. Stand light lasts at least 10 mins if not more never checked it.

http://www.jl-bikershop.de/out/pictures/master/product/1/2025118100.jpg

This pic probably best shows size but is too big to embed.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-V1uYKXMwIAM/Uqj7C8OyUjI/AAAAAAAACbk/qVGFlGpS7D0/s1600/DSC_7675.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

quick question - will a campy fr & rear derailleur crankset and non indexed downtube shifters work with shimano cassette?
    As far as I can see on tinterweb it should work....

lennymc wrote: »
    quick question - will a campy fr & rear derailleur crankset and non indexed downtube shifters work with shimano cassette?

Should work as long as you don't try indexing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Should work as long as you don't try indexing.

cheers. Although, I dont know if I should trust you or not..... :)

See UKIP and Nigel Farage are trying to recruit Moyes as he succeeded in keeping United out of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Seems to be the most common form of abomination on mixed shimano/campy set ups.

• Advertisement

cheers. Although, I dont know if I should trust you or not..... :)

Would I lie to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No, total wattage is 3.0. Front gets 2.4, rear 0.6

No, total wattage is 3.0. Front gets 2.4, rear 0.6

But I still have more easter eggs to eat. :'( talk about making the chocolate come down crash worse.

My one saving hope is that the wind was against me.

Both ways.

Yeah ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

69ZyXP.jpg

(Or both...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

SICK question - will a campy fr & rear derailleur crankset and non indexed downtube shifters work with shimano cassette?

There. Fixed your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,456 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i blame vikings (the tv series) for making me want to read the saga Tale of Ragnar Lodbrok

i blame vikings (the tv series) for making me want to read the saga Tale of Ragnar Lodbrok

Read Njál's Saga. Full of dark and gritty jokes, and the title character is called Niall (Njál = Niall).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Anybody know anything about the Wexford Wheelers race with the team TT at the end of June? CI calendar has scant details and a search on the web and fb has not shed any further light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Anybody know anything about the Wexford Wheelers race with the team TT at the end of June? CI calendar has scant details and a search on the web and fb has not shed any further light.

Michael196 probably knows whatever there is to know, you could pm him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

I was just browsing through the programme for the Dublin Writers Festival and spotted this event, on Sunday 25th May, 4pm. Thought it might be of interest.
    NED BOULTING, RICHARD MOORE & TIM MOORE - CYCLING FEVER

The exploits of Sean Kelly and Stephen Roche may be a distant memory, but cycling has never been more popular. And with the first three stages of the Giro d’Italia taking place in Belfast, Armagh and Dublin this month, Ireland is braced for another outbreak of cycling fever.

Dublin Writers Festival gathers three acclaimed writers (and cycling fanatics) to examine cycling’s phenomenal rise. Why, despite the drug scandals that have threatened to discredit the sport, has cycling become so popular? Where does it go from here? And can anyone tackle the Tour de France?

In 2003 Ned Boulting had only vaguely heard of Lance Armstrong, but when he found himself covering the Tour de France live on television, it was the start of a steep learning curve. Many tours later his books include How I Won the Yellow Jumper and On the Road Bike, a witty and perceptive exploration of Britain’s cycling craze.

A former Commonwealth Games cyclist, Richard Moore is now one of the best-known sports journalists in the UK and the author of numerous books including Slaying the Badger and Sky’s the Limit.

Tim Moore’s book French Revolutions, an account of his attempt to ride the Tour de France, was described by the Sunday Times as “one of the funniest books about sport ever written”. His new book, Gironimo, finds him tackling the route of the 1914 Giro d’Italia on a wooden bike.

Booking here: http://www.dublinwritersfestival.com/event/ned-boulting-richard-moore-tim-moore-cycling-fever/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement