Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weight loss/exercise advice

Options
  • 27-03-2013 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

just looking for advice -
    I lost some weight(nearly 3 stone) with slimming world but have now put most of it back on. motivation is zero at the moment.
    I need to get back on the wagon. I dont want to go back to SW.
    Is this a bad idea?
    I would love to join a gym/class but I feel very self conscious about that.
    i am in the Louth area.
    Any suggestions

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Best motivation is self motivation.
    You have to want to do something about it for it to work.

I think most of them WW and SW are just a waste of money (just MY opinion)
    If You put in the work yourself and just get as much results that you would get from going to WW/SW.

What's your diet like at the moment?

Have you a gym near you? There is no need to be self conscious about going to a gym, people of all age, shape and size go to the gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 chatter1316

I agree with you about SL / WW. once you come off them, the weight goes back on really quickly.
    My diet at the moment is brutal(if i am honest). I need to sort that side of the jigsaw out first.
    There is several gyms in my area. i just need to make that first step and go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

I agree with you about SL / WW. once you come off them, the weight goes back on really quickly.
    My diet at the moment is brutal(if i am honest). I need to sort that side of the jigsaw out first.
    There is several gyms in my area. i just need to make that first step and go for it.

First thing to do is clear out all the crap foods from your house, and stock up on natural non processed foods, work out a food diary and sign up to myonlinefitnesspal. Great site for keeping track of calories etc.

Have a read through the stickies on here to get you started.
    this one is a good start -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055157091

Thanks very much SunnyDub1

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭deskgirl

If you are in Drogheda area, the classes in Lab Fitness are brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,653 ✭✭✭✭dahat

WW/SLW are great starting points for those who wish to shift the pounds but as the early weight goes and you start to exercise more(hopefully) you will find that these plans are not what will keep you going on hard exercise days.
    Plenty stickies here to go through but the main thing is to get to the gym asap and get moving,weight go fall off and you will find it is way easier to stick to a food plan when you exercise daily

are classes for men and women

dahat wrote: »
    WW/SLW are great starting points for those who wish to shift the pounds but as the early weight goes and you start to exercise more(hopefully) you will find that these plans are not what will keep you going on hard exercise days.
    Plenty stickies here to go through but the main thing is to get to the gym asap and get moving,weight go fall off and you will find it is way easier to stick to a food plan when you exercise daily

While i was with SW, i didnt start an exercise routine other than walking. Your right, i need to get to a gym, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

I tried all types of plans and regimes and nothing worked - I couldn't even get past the first day. I didn't believe I could loose weight and keep it off, so where was the point?
    You have to find that compelling reason to change - being a bit miserable wont work, it just sends you straight to the bread bin - you have to be so ****ing depressed & miserable about your weight that you will do absolutely anything to change it. (Do not buy bigger clothes - be uncomfortable and bulging) Once you reach that tipping point you're not going to be fighting your food choices - they support your goals, not deprive you from eating.
    If you've done SW before then just follow the principles at home for a month (but with no processed foods at all ) to get the first few pounds off and then add more exercise. I used to hate the idea of classes but tbh we are all that busy doing our own thing no one notices what anyone else looks like/is doing. Classes I go to range in age from 18 - 78 and weight range of under 10 stone to over 20, the common factor is that we all want to raise our standards when it comes to fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭gollywog

SunnyDub1 wrote: »
    Best motivation is self motivation.
    You have to want to do something about it for it to work.

I think most of them WW and SW are just a waste of money (just MY opinion)
    If You put in the work yourself and just get as much results that you would get from going to WW/SW.

What's your diet like at the moment?

Have you a gym near you? There is no need to be self conscious about going to a gym, people of all age, shape and size go to the gym.

Hey guys, first time posting on here. Just wanting to say that in a way you guys are right about weight watchers etc. I joined Unislim when I was 18 years old and weighing 18 and a half stone. (5ft9 male) I have seen many people lose great amounts of weight at first only to put it on again, but I think its unfair to just say this WILL happen with these classes. I lost 7 stone with Unislim back then and have been maintaining it ever since. So basically my point is its more up to the individual than saying these classes dont work, its not that black and white.

BTW I'm currewntly just under 11 and a half stone

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice/comments on this subject.
    Last night i weighed, measured and photographed myself to keep track of my progress.
    i will monitor my weight each week and and re-measure myself once a month.
    I am really determined to make this work.

Advertisement