Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat trailer - new laws and costs associated

Options
  • 16-08-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

The load on my boat trailer is approximately 800 kg - boat (Shetland 570) is 650 kg - engine (Mariner 55 hp) is 100 kg - and contents are definitely less than 50 kg....but am rounding up for the sake of it.

The trailer would therefore be considered a category 02 vehicle under the new regulations that came into force in 2012.

What I am not sure of is:

- whether or not my trailer requires brakes to be fitted or whether it is exempt?

- if it need brakes fitted does it then need Type Approval?

There are companies selling "trailer kits" which would allow me to upgrade the trailer to a braked trailer - the kits are expensive - and if type approval is required after this then I wonder if it just not better to try and buy a newer secondhand trailer?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

As far as I know if it's over 750 kg including the boat and gear it needs to have brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭Odelay

fergal.b wrote: »
    As far as I know if it's over 750 kg including the boat and gear it needs to have brakes.

It's the weight of boat, gear and weight of the trailer too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep the whole lot, I think the towing weight of the car might also factor in as to weather you need an EB licence. There are a few post on it here that might be worth reading through. http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=trailer+laws

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Docktor

Thanks for clarifying that the combined weight of the trailer and boat, with engine and contacts, make up the 750 kg threshold.

I had already come across the other threads on the recent changes in the trailer law - but it's still not clear whether or not I can upgrade my existing trailer without having to be type approved - based on the age of the trailer and the fact that I am not a trailer manufacturer. There is also confusion in the other threads about the sale of a trailer requiring type approval - not sure if this means that I can never sell my old trailer with the boat.

It's certainly not clear.....

Advertisement