Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now doing door to door???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pen1987 wrote: »
    When I did it I actively avoided annoying people, I'd get a no, accept it and give a little more detail, if I got one more no I say thanks and move on.

There's the fcuking problem right there. You were told no and yet you still push it until you get another no. Do you honestly believe that's actively avoiding annoying people? Chuggers are the lowest form of life imo and must be eradicated from the planet for the good of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Zaph wrote: »
    There's the fcuking problem right there. You were told no and yet you still push it until you get another no. Do you honestly believe that's actively avoiding annoying people? Chuggers are the lowest form of life imo and must be eradicated from the planet for the good of mankind.

2nd Lowest maybe. Those Hanly Centre people are by far the worst.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

pithater1 wrote: »
    2nd Lowest maybe. Those Hanly Centre people are by far the worst.

Good point, forgot about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Hah, brilliant, another chugger thread... I love these. :)

Hah, brilliant, another chugger thread... I love these. :)

Aye they're great alright:pac: (chugger threads, not chuggers)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Chuggers are the lowest form of life imo and must be eradicated from the planet for the good of mankind.
    +1. Chuggers are c*nts.

Tell me about these Hanly people...

Dudess wrote: »
    +1. Chuggers are c*nts.

Tell me about these Hanly people...

Some rehab clinic fundraises by selling lottery tickets. They tend to employ rather annoying d4 types (we're talking your stereotypical 16-19 year old here) who follow you up and down Grafton Street pestering you to buy the bloody things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

I fart in the general direction of chuggers. Their cause is worthwhile - their strategy is not.

Ive done this job in the past and you would not realise how much good work these companies are doing for charity, while I was there 4 people raised 100'000 euro in two weeks for an MS chairty.

So how much of the €100,000 actually went to the charity?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and a chase from a rabbid dog.
    See, you just can't help yourself with the lies and trying to guilt people into feeling sorry for you to get them to part with their money. There are not any dogs, or other animals, with rabies running loose around estates in Ireland. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

vektarman wrote: »
    I had a dilemma recently, my pizza was delivered by a Jehovahs witness, hunger won!

Lollers. My computer components from Komplett, were delivered by the local Jehovah's Witnesses.

I got caught out by the local Baptist church the other day- they insisted on giving me a pamphlet on why Genesis is right (and science is wrong). Slight bit of a waste of time in my house- with my wife being a geneticist and me an engineer/scientist.......

Couple of weeks ago got a solicitor at the door subpoening me as a defense witness in a case from 6 years ago. He had fun explaining that I was legally obliged to attend- and that subpoena meant "under-pain". He'd have been under pain........

Task no. 1 this evening- remove the batteries from the internal bell for the door (the light will still come on and it'll make a buzzing noise as though its working but nothing happens inside. If anyone legitimately wants to contact me- they can ring in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Ive done this job in the past and you would not realise how much good work these companies are doing for charity, while I was there 4 people raised 100'000 euro in two weeks for an MS chairty.

Someone mentioned Deaf kids, that charity is Deaf Child Worldwide, its a really good cause, 60c a day 18e a month...

When I did it I actively avoided annoying people, I'd get a no, accept it and give a little more detail, if I got one more no I say thanks and move on. There were people in the office who were far to pushy in my opinion, I always thought once you got two no's the chance were 99% positive it was time to move on. I knew of some people who would get a no and be like 'well why not? Dont you care about these people?'... I never agreed with that attitude. The best ones in the office always had an unflustered manner and could 'turn a negetive' without coming across as pushy, the bad ones, or desperate to get paid ones always resorted to guilt trips and scare tactics. Most of these people are working 12 hour days and earning around 60 to 90 euro a day. Its a tough job that people do to get through college or put on a CV, not usually a dream appointment... most days youre walking around council estate getting abuse off the local kids and a chase from a rabbid dog.

Usually if you just listen to their pitch, say no once, they'll attempt to turn your negetive, say no again firmly, thank them for their time, and theyll move on. If you have a dog, leave it in your front garden with the gate closed.

I'd definitely give to a door-to-door chugger before I would give to a collection bucket or street-chugger... its much more regulated.

Like I said the last time you pestered me, piss off and get a real job :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭skibum

connundrum wrote: »
    No love for the children then, ey!

Thats exactly what the cocky b4stard said!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭pucan

Myth wrote: »

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ask them for a Euro for the baby, while holding a fake baby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

The reek of hypo/over-critical Irish off this thread is unreal.

When you knock on the door the immiediate answer is no, thats what people are programmed to react like because Sky and NTL have been knocking at their door for years telling them they need the latest Satelite dish... do you think the charities would get any help if once the door was opened and some one said 'I'm not interested' the worker just said 'ok' and walked off be even explaining they wernt trying to sell you a product but instead help a charity. The first no is when you open the door, the second no is after you've explained youre not here to update their satelite dish and explained who you are helping, if theyre still not interested 'thanks goodbye.'
    Myth wrote: »

100%.
    With the company I worked for we only accepted work from charities who raised funds from a sponsor company to pay our wages. So the charity went out to say Eircom and said 'Look, were trying to raise funds to help out Deaf Children, but we dont have the man-power, volunteers, money or sales people to do it... will you agree to pay the fees for whatever these people can raise for us?' and they'd give them an approximate price that they would need to pay the fees for the chuggers. The chuggers would go out and do the work, every person they signed up the chugger got thirty euro, on average that person would donate 1300e before they closed their subscription, therefore the charity makes 1300e profit and eircom pays out 30e to the chugger, and 10 euro to the company the chugger is emplyed by.

The chuggers work for a seperate company providing charities with the sales skill they dont have, the man-power they dont have and the time they dont have to directly employ people to raise funds. Its basic business sense for a charity to employ a chugging company if they have get a sponsor company.

pucan wrote: »
    Exactly

Exactly, youre wrong, but now youre informed.

they wernt trying to sell you a product but instead help a charity.
    It's all the same to me; whether it's a chugger, someone trying to tell me about their religion, someone wanting to sharpen my shears, a beggar or a politician.
    I've still had to drop what ever I was doing to open the front door and deal with an unwanted and awkward situation.
    Is cold-calling on the telephone getting too expensive or something?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

smccarrick wrote: »
    I got caught out by the local Baptist church the other day- they insisted on giving me a pamphlet on why Genesis is right (and science is wrong). Slight bit of a waste of time in my house- with my wife being a geneticist and me an engineer/scientist.......
    Just because you are a scientist? What have Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel etc ever done to you? Apart from the desperate music in the main of course.
    The reek of hypo/over-critical Irish off this thread is unreal.

<snip> blah blah etc </snip>

Exactly, youre wrong, but now youre informed.

Thank god for the chuggers then to remind us over and again about our moral duties. We would never think of donating to charity if it weren't for the kind prompting of their kind. I'd rather listen to a sky tv salesman than a chugger tbh.

5starpool wrote: »
    Thank god for the chuggers then to remind us over and again about our moral duties. We would never think of donating to charity if it weren't for the kind prompting of their kind. I'd rather listen to a sky tv salesman than a chugger tbh.

One, Its not me as a chugger (which I'm not anymore, but I'm happy to say I was, I'm happy about the amount of money I earned for charity) its me as a person calling them out on the fact theyre speaking on something which they are not fully informed about. Two, youre smart answer was ****, improve.
    It's all the same to me; whether it's a chugger, someone trying to tell me about their religion, someone wanting to sharpen my shears, a beggar or a politician.
    I've still had to drop what ever I was doing to open the front door and deal with an unwanted and awkward situation.
    Is cold-calling on the telephone getting too expensive or something?

No cold-calling isnt too expensive, its too ineffective.

Its up to you to be annoyed with whoever knocks on the door, but I dont see any threads in here saying Jehovahs Witnesses are the scum of the earth and need to be eradicated. Chuggers are just trying to do their job raise the profile and funds of charities, almost everyone pre-judges them and are completely uninformed on the situation. The fact its commercially-viable for charities to use these methods so not everyone is as annoyed and pissed off answering their door as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

One, Its not me as a chugger (which I'm not anymore, but I'm happy to say I was, I'm happy about the amount of money I earned for charity)

More like "I'm happy with the amount I earned an hour. As you said earlier, people do it to pay their way through college. It's a job like any other. And 90 an hour for standing around harassing people sounds pretty good, when I remember my 300 a week for horrible horrible work in a factory years back. You should quit after the first no, whether it's an automatic no or not. It's definitely a no, because the person can see instantly that you want money.

• Advertisement

Tago Mago wrote: »
    More like "I'm happy with the amount I earned an hour. As you said earlier, people do it to pay their way through college. It's a job like any other. And 90 an hour for standing around harassing people sounds pretty good, when I remember my 300 a week for horrible horrible work in a factory years back. You should quit after the first no, whether it's an automatic no or not. It's definitely a no, because the person can see instantly that you want money.

No, wrong again. 90 a DAY, and thats if youre lucky and get three subscribers, many go home with no sign-ups three days a week or more, Ive seen people work a week 12 hours a day and earn nothing, you have no garunteed income, and door to door isnt standing there, you walk on average 10 miles a day. As you said, its a job like any other right? Except all the uninformed hassle recieved in the general public.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So you get paid to exercise in the fresh air? Sign me up.

Let me just get a pen and my bank details....

It's a big, dark red building at the corner of one of those wide streets. A man called Paul works there.

So you get paid to exercise in the fresh air? Sign me up.

Yeah, its a dream job. Absolute dream, lovely work. Especially when it rains and even better when youre doing it in Athlone Navan or Portlaoise and have to get back to Dublin on the bus for 11PM to put through the paperwork in the office.

No, wrong again. 90 a DAY, and thats if youre lucky and get three subscribers, many go home with no sign-ups three days a week or more, Ive seen people work a week 12 hours a day and earn nothing, you have no garunteed income, and door to door isnt standing there, you walk on average 10 miles a day. As you said, its a job like any other right? Except all the uninformed hassle recieved in the general public.

That was obviously a mistake when I typed 90 an hour. 90 a day sounds very very nice for easy work. Exactly, it's a job like any other and the people are doing it for the money, so they really don't care more about what they are collecting for.

90euro a day for 12 hours work is 7.50 an hour, well below minimum wage. and easy work? you try it, I've worked in factories and I know which I'd prefer.

And your doing well to do three sign-ups a day in your first week or two. Most people do none in their first few days, 12 hours a day for a week for nothing? show me anyone who'd continue doing that unless they actually believed in the charities they were working for. Hence many of the staff leave in their first few days. The ones who believe in it stay on though, or else the ones who absolutely must pay the rent and cant get another job.

The best worker in GB&I across the whole company (2000+ employees) averaged 4.5 a day, thats 11.25 an hour, about average wage for someone working in a retail company for a year+... I know I could of gotten a better paid job than that fairly easily. I know alot of the people who did stay on after they earned nothing for their first week did believe they were doing something for charities they believed in, and didnt give a bollox what kind of stick they got at the door...

I'm probably not going to change your mind on 'I hate chuggers', because people are lazy ****s who dont want to answer the door to strangers. But people should realise these chuggers who work door to door are earning **** all and if they have been working at it any longer than a week they do believe in what theyre working for, many are subscribers to the charities themselves... You might hate them for knocking on your lovely mahogony but I respect them for at least trying to.

90euro a day for 12 hours work is 7.50 an hour, well below minimum wage. and easy work? you try it, I've worked in factories and I know which I'd prefer.

And your doing well to do three sign-ups a day in your first week or two. Most people do none in their first few days, 12 hours a day for a week for nothing? show me anyone who'd continue doing that unless they actually believed in the charities they were working for. Hence many of the staff leave in their first few days. The ones who believe in it stay on though, or else the ones who absolutely must pay the rent and cant get another job.

The best worker in GB&I across the whole company (2000+ employees) averaged 4.5 a day, thats 11.25 an hour, about average wage for someone working in a retail company for a year+... I know I could of gotten a better paid job than that fairly easily. I know alot of the people who did stay on after they earned nothing for their first week did believe they were doing something for charities they believed in, and didnt give a bollox what kind of stick they got at the door...

I'm probably not going to change your mind on 'I hate chuggers', because people are lazy ****s who dont want to answer the door to strangers. But people should realise these chuggers who work door to door are earning **** all and if they have been working at it any longer than a week they do believe in what theyre working for, many are subscribers to the charities themselves... You might hate them for knocking on your lovely mahogony but I respect them for at least trying to.

I guess we'll agree to disagree.. I would definitely give that a try before working in the factory I worked in again. Also, I would give it a try before the other job where I worked 52 hours a week for 350 euro.

They don't deserve any more respect than someone waiting tables or pulling pints; they are doing a job. It is obvious why people are extremely annoyed by them; they are pushy, don't take no for an answer, instead believing that you really mean yes but just need to be convinced [see above], and the street chuggers are often borderline offensive. This 'don't you care about anyone except yourself' rubbish. Many people choose to give to charities in their own way (like me), many more can't afford to sign up a direct debit (also like me) and finally, the majority of the chuggers don't give a toss so the hypocrisy is unbelievable.

Tago Mago wrote: »
    I guess we'll agree to disagree.. I would definitely give that a try before working in the factory I worked in again. Also, I would give it a try before the other job where I worked 52 hours a week for 350 euro.

like I said, 52 hours a week would still be 6 hours a week more for potentially (likely) less pay, but that a moot point now. I take your point and also agree to disagree.
    Tago Mago wrote:
    They don't deserve any more respect than someone waiting tables or pulling pints; they are doing a job. It is obvious why people are extremely annoyed by them; they are pushy, don't take no for an answer, instead believing that you really mean yes but just need to be convinced [see above]

They get far less respect than waiters or barmen...

Some of them are a disgrace as you will get in any line of work, as stated before I took two no's (one being the immeidiate 'not interested' at the door that everyone gives and if you took that and walked away you'd never help any charity OR pay any bills) and left. If one knocks on your door, just hear out their pitch, state your first no, then theyll give you the 'its only... blah blah...' say 'look I've got to go I've got things to do, thanks bye'... they SHOULD thank you for your time and leave, if they continue to be pushy say 'give me your badge code you've been impolite' theyll **** a brick and run.
    and the street chuggers are often borderline offensive. This 'don't you care about anyone except yourself' rubbish. Many people choose to give to charities in their own way (like me), many more can't afford to sign up a direct debit (also like me) and finally, the majority of the chuggers don't give a toss so the hypocrisy is unbelievable.

The street chuggers work for an hourly wage, 14euro an hour (!) they dont give a bollox who they offend or what impression they give of the charity they work (directly) for because they'll get paid any way.
    Them saying 'you dont give a bollox about anyone but yourself' is ironic when theyre earning an hourly wage for a place they care nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

pen1987 wrote:
    because people are lazy ****s who dont want to answer the door to strangers

No. People are at home trying to relax after spending a day at work/whatever and don't need the attitude you're displaying here just because they don't want to sign up to your charity of the week.

I'm probably not going to change your mind on 'I hate chuggers', because people are lazy ****s who dont want to answer the door to strangers.
    Ahaha, tell that to the old pensioner with arthritis in both knees or the woman who's trying to fill her childs bath.
    People have lives to lead, they're not just sitting around all day waiting for strangers to hassle them for money.
    Calling people "lazy ****s" is also typical of the smug attitude you get from a lot of chuggers... there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing, it's everyone else who's wrong.
    No cold-calling isnt too expensive, its too ineffective.
    Yeah it's harder to slam the door in someone's face than it is to hang up the phone on them.
    Typical slimy tactics.
    Like the street chugger that nabbed me once by reaching out to shake my hand as I walked by, he caught me off-guard, so instinctively I met his hand with my own... I can tell you that was the single longest handshake I've ever had in my life.
    He even used both hands so I couldn't break it... he might as well have gotten me in a headlock or a full nelson.
    Its up to you to be annoyed with whoever knocks on the door
    Great, let's all be as rude, slimy and inconsiderate as we like, and sure it's up to other people if they want to be annoyed... that's their problem.
    The fact its commercially-viable for charities to use these methods so not everyone is as annoyed and pissed off answering their door as you.
    It's commercially viable because it's a slimy, exploitative sales tactic... just like the old handshake trick.
    They know damn well people aren't generally as assertive in person as they can be on the phone, so they exploit that.
    They're too meek to slam the door in a chuggers face, so they're effectively a captive audience to the chuggers sales pitch.

• Advertisement

No. People are at home trying to relax after spending a day at work/whatever and don't need the attitude you're displaying here just because they don't want to sign up to your charity of the week.

An attitude, people have told me they think people who do a job I have done are the scum off the earth and deserve to be eradicated... I'm not even giving as good I got.

Ahaha, tell that to the old pensioner with arthritis in both knees or the woman who's trying to fill her childs bath.
    People have lives to lead, they're not just sitting around all day waiting for strangers to hassle them for money.
    Calling people "lazy ****s" is also typical of the smug attitude you get from a lot of chuggers... there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing, it's everyone else who's wrong.

For a start its against the law to sign up anyone over the age of 65 for reasons of copus mendis. People are lazy ****es, I'm one of them, I have sky+ because I'm to lazy to wait for a replay to come on during the matches, the fact this website is busiest whilst people are supposed to be working even shows that. **** it even after 6PM the BRGH shows an absurd pride in its members ability to be lazy, I was just stating the facts. Your twisting my words to fit into your 'you former chugger, you are the devil' bracket, as if every single door I knocked I was praying it was the home of someone who had arthritis in their knees, like I stood outside HOPING I was annoying someone... thats really conductive to fundraising. The majority of people are middle aged and reletively healthy, i.e. they can walk to the door so the chances your destroying somebodies day or causing them serious pain is pretty dam unlikely with just a ring on the bell. I said people are lazy ****es because they are not because I have a bitter resentment to some random people whos door I knocked on a few years back who refused to answer.

Yeah it's harder to slam the door in someone's face than it is to hang up the phone on them.
    Typical slimy tactics.
    Like the street chugger that nabbed me once by reaching out to shake my hand as I walked by, he caught me off-guard, so instinctively I met his hand with my own... I can tell you that was the single longest handshake I've ever had in my life.
    He even used both hands so I couldn't break it... he might as well have gotten me in a headlock or a full nelson.

Of course its harder to slam the door in someones face than hang-up the phone, have you no clue how sales and marketing works? this is reality mate... how do you think charities would raise their profile or funds otherwise... do you volunteer to shake buckets on Grafton Street often? Do you know anyone who does? Do you think anyone whos not an admin employee or directly effected by certain issues ever would? The charities LOVE these companies, its their best method of fundraising. Again you've compared door to door charity fundraising to street chuggers after I've stated myself I do not agree with street-chugging because its workers have no connection to the charity nor knowledge of its workings, they are paid a wage also, which I question... by the way, sorry the fact that I also dislike street chuggers doesnt fit with your perception of me being a slimy bastard, that might be my one abiding quality... nah couldnt be, I'm scum of the earth, right.
    Great, let's all be as rude, slimy and inconsiderate as we like, and sure it's up to other people if they want to be annoyed... that's their problem.

Again you twist my words. You said you dont like anyone who knocks on your door out of the blue 'wether they are politician, beggers, people pushing their religion or wanting to sharpen my shears'... my retort was that its your choice to be annoyed with whoever you want but that I dont see any threads on Boards calling Jehovahs witnesses the scum of the earth for knocking on peoples door. Not that 'its other peoples fault that theyre annoyed becuase their door was knocked upon, not mine' attitude that you inferred I had.
    You said nothing about people being 'rude, slimy and inconsiderate' in your first post, then changed your reason for being annoyed at people who knock with your reply, (your first reason was becuase they were knocking on your door, now its because they are ALL inconsiderate slimy and rude...) so in essence, you dont like chuggers, before I explained how they work, that its in fact very diffucult to earn enough to pay the rent doing it, you didnt like chuggers, you still dont like chuggers so, really, it has nothing to do with not liking whomever knocks on your door as you previously stated.

It's commercially viable because it's a slimy, exploitative sales tactic... just like the old handshake trick.
    They know damn well people aren't generally as assertive in person as they can be on the phone, so they exploit that.
    They're too meek to slam the door in a chuggers face, so they're effectively a captive audience to the chuggers sales pitch.

The fact is if you knock on someones door and they are positive to the encounter after 5seconds, they will sign up. If they are not, theyre not likely to be turned. Some chuggers I agree, need to get this into their heads, that basically youre just raising awareness of the issue and hoping you'll knock on a door of a person thats open to helping.

Its commercially viable because of that one person, maybe that one person doesnt walk through grafton street and see the bucket shakers or have the sky-channel where the adverts come on. So the person at their door is the first and only impact the charity may have. Charities use it because its commercially viable and charities SURVIVE because its commerically viable. Fact. You may not donate but clearly enough people are open to donating for it to be useful, maybe its a cultural thing or an age thing. I know nothing about you but a high percentage of subscribers where either foreign nationals or young parents, I'd be surprised if you fit in either category.

Oh and for the record... I'm purposefully being a cheeky **** now because I've been aimed at personally and my opinion was getting clouded over by the blanket 'we hate chuggers but weve no REAL clue how it works' one from all the threads about street-chuggers..

Advertisement