Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chuggers now doing door to door???

Options
  • 16-07-2008 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭

Bad enough trying to avoid these f+ckers on the streets but now the annoying b4st4rd5 are doing door to door! Just had the pleasure of one very persistent collector, politely told him it was not a good time but he wouldn't take no for an answer :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Makes sense.
    Charity begins at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Cool
    my days of wandering the streets lookin 4 my next victim are soon over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

skibum wrote: »
    Bad enough trying to avoid these f+ckers on the streets but now the annoying b4st4rd5 are doing door to door! Just had the pleasure of one very persistent collector, politely told him it was not a good time but he wouldn't take no for an answer :rolleyes:

If it happens again, don't say anything. Get your coat and walk really close to him all evening 'til he gets home. Ring the doorbell and ask him for a cup of sugar.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

answer your door with one of these ready to throm in future:

Ebrown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Think a brown snake would be just the teensiest bit harsh. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

*readies the boiling oil*

I swear I'll shove their clipboard up their hole for them if anyone bothers me at home...it's bad enough with f8ckers trying to sell you something...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Tell him you'll go get your bank details, but need to close over the door incase the dogs gets out. Leave him standing there, after 5 minutes open the door and say "Hang on, the missus just threw a load of my statements out. Think i have one upstairs." Wait another 5 minutes, open the door "nah, none up there. let me ring my parents who know what they are." 5 minutes later come back and say "nah, they dont have them, but are heading around to the bank manager (friends of them), and they will ring me back in around 15 minutes". Ask him to call back then, and then repeat the whole process again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

If it happens, why not ask them to wait for a second while you check your account details or whatever, then just shut the door and see how long they wait for you. Make a game of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Think a brown snake would be just the teensiest bit harsh. ;)
    well he/she wouldnt call again would they??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

PLAN A: Release the hounds.

PLAN B: If you don't have hounds, then have a copy of "The Watchtower" beside your door. Don't give them a chance to speak, just start rambling on about Jehovahs Witnesses and try to convert them.

PLAN C: Just tell 'em to **** off. That's what I'd do (unless it was an attractive female with a foreign accent, in which case I'd probably end up handing her the deed to the house and my parents bank details)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*Slams door*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

The muppet was from barnardos, after our little chat I shut the door, he stood there for a few seconds with out moving, I thought the arsehole was going to ring the bell again, probably the worst thing he would have done tonight given the humour I was in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

funk-you wrote: »
    If it happens again, don't say anything. Get your coat and walk really close to him all evening 'til he gets home. Ring the doorbell and ask him for a cup of sugar.

-Funk

lol brilliant!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only answer the door if I've ordered a pizza or similar, otherwise I just ignore the doorbell as it's not going to be anything of interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

skibum wrote: »
    The muppet was from barnardos, after our little chat I shut the door, he stood there for a few seconds with out moving, I thought the arsehole was going to ring the bell again, probably the worst thing he would have done tonight given the humour I was in :D

No love for the children then, ey!

Didn't think this was a recent phenomenon, I've had people calling to the door looking for money for nowt for ages.. oh no, that was the TV licence inspector :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Interesting Historical Tidbit #50609: Chuggers actually started life going door to door. That's how they knabbed me. So really, they're just going back to their roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

My doorbell did not work for years, finally got around to fixing it, a decision I now regret :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

robinph wrote: »
    I only answer the door if I've ordered a pizza or similar, otherwise I just ignore the doorbell as it's not going to be anything of interest to me.
    I had a dilemma recently, my pizza was delivered by a Jehovahs witness, hunger won!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

robinph wrote: »

A system that works perfectly. I answer the door for nobody. If someone wants me they can call me on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

it's not that hard to say no thanks and close the door. They aint the mafia. Sure it's annoying to have to open it in the first place but you excepahre is good for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

FX Meister wrote: »
    it's not that hard to say no thanks and close the door. They aint the mafia. Sure it's annoying to have to open it in the first place but you excepahre is good for you

This is what I do. I just do it before they get to open their mouths.

Most shrug and move off in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A system that works perfectly. I answer the door for nobody. If someone wants me they can call me on the phone.

just as long as they don't use private number

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Smithers, release the hounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Had this happen recently for the first time. I politely told him I already have a Direct Debit to a charity (which I do) and I wasn't interested in setting up another one.

He responded by saying "oh sure we're all doing lots of good things nowadays, I'm sure you can manage another one, it's 80 cents a day".

I had to say it three times before the sarcastic w*nker went away. I'm normally very polite to these people on the streets, but I was about five seconds from exploding with him. Deaf children in the third world was the cause, I don't know the name of the charity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jhegarty wrote: »
    just as long as they don't use private number

Generally don't bother answering the land line phone either as whenever I have done someone is trying to sell me something. Only have the land line for the purposes of phoning eircom to complain when there is a problem with the broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle, but I'd find it odd to never answer the door. Does nobody in your life ever call unannounced? Or must they always make an appointment to see you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

I actually experience mild panic when the doorbell rings unexpectedly.

Along the lines of 'who's dead, the house is a state, is it a beggar, f*ck tv licence man, am i dressed'

Phone in advance people, phone in advance.

People either wouldn't call unannounced/ don't know where I live/ live in a different country.

I did forget one other case where I may sometimes answer the door though and that would be if the postman has a parcel for me. But they seem to be too lazy these days to bother bringing the parcels on the rounds with them and just stick the cards through the door for me to pick up at the sorting office instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Ive done this job in the past and you would not realise how much good work these companies are doing for charity, while I was there 4 people raised 100'000 euro in two weeks for an MS chairty.

Someone mentioned Deaf kids, that charity is Deaf Child Worldwide, its a really good cause, 60c a day 18e a month...

When I did it I actively avoided annoying people, I'd get a no, accept it and give a little more detail, if I got one more no I say thanks and move on. There were people in the office who were far to pushy in my opinion, I always thought once you got two no's the chance were 99% positive it was time to move on. I knew of some people who would get a no and be like 'well why not? Dont you care about these people?'... I never agreed with that attitude. The best ones in the office always had an unflustered manner and could 'turn a negetive' without coming across as pushy, the bad ones, or desperate to get paid ones always resorted to guilt trips and scare tactics. Most of these people are working 12 hour days and earning around 60 to 90 euro a day. Its a tough job that people do to get through college or put on a CV, not usually a dream appointment... most days youre walking around council estate getting abuse off the local kids and a chase from a rabbid dog.

Usually if you just listen to their pitch, say no once, they'll attempt to turn your negetive, say no again firmly, thank them for their time, and theyll move on. If you have a dog, leave it in your front garden with the gate closed.

I'd definitely give to a door-to-door chugger before I would give to a collection bucket or street-chugger... its much more regulated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Some ban these pests for the love of God.

Advertisement