Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boat battery shorting.

Options
  • 19-08-2015 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    4m rib, take a day to dismantle boat and remove battery so thats a last resorts.

Now, the 2 wires to my baler pump touched and they were like that for a week, melting and flatting the battery obviously.

Q. Is my battery(9months old) done for.?

It seems to hold a little charge(to play music) after a 30min spin but switching everything off and returning in a couple of hours it's flat again.

Will 'shorting' for a week typically kill battery for good.?

If you say 'depends' then how might I find out its condition.?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

You need to give it a full charge on a proper charger to get it back up in a car the alternator will charge a battery to about 75% from flat or so my mechanic told me. After you've charged it then check it and see but it's not looking good.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I would get a new one as there is no way of telling what damage was done inside the battery it could have melted some of the internal connections and if it shorts again it could explode or give off poisonous gases, for the sake of a €100 it's just not worth it.

Advertisement