Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to launch / visit on Shannon or canal.

Options
  • 07-08-2015 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Not new to boating as such but new to day tripping / cruising, just bought myself a 15ft cuddy style boat with 40hp engine.

I'm looking to know where would be a safe spot to launch and park up the car and trailer for the day and head off knowing that they'll be there when I get back. Also wondering if there's a charge to use the slip or park for the day.
    Looking at doing day trips from Dublin, drive launch and return. Boat is 'moored' in the garden.
    Researched some of the previous comments here so thinking of driving to Lough Ree or to Shannon close to Ree and setting off for the day.
    Also if out on Ree are there good spots to moor and get lunch, do the Marina's do that kind of thing or are there places close to the water.
    All a bit new to me at the moment.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

There is a slipway and carpark across from the Hodson Bay Hotel you can use, some of the marinas like Lakeside also have slipways but you might need to ask for permission to use them.
    For the canal I found the slip at Enfield handy and it's a nice trip before you get to any lough gates, I left my trailer there and it was fine but if you wanted to be extra safe the Garda station has a carpark and it's not far from the slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Cheers Fergal.
    Perfect to get me started.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Hodson is good as fergal said. Very secure. Coosan is also good and very close by. Coosan is an easier launch and less busy if you are a novice at reversing a trailer. Its a good training spot. Probably the easiest spot I have ever launched at. Also close to a pub and the inner lakes. Also secure and has nice clean public toilets and a picnic area on site.

Its close to both the Hodson bay hotel (carvery lunch) and the Wineport lodge which do nice steaks and is a lovely spot for lunch (book ahead for that one).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

Good post Bio Mech, just what I'm looking for.
    Thanks.

Advertisement