Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shetland

Options
  • 03-08-2015 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

hi gents im hoping some one out there can help answer a question in regards to shetland boats im looking around on donedeal at the moment and hoping to pick up a boat for spinning about on the sea and also a bit of fishing when the weather is in it and i see that there is quiet a few shetland boats for sale im not looking for a big one 16-17 foot or what ever they are but my question is will a yamaha(06) 15 hp 2 stroke out board be powerfull enough to push the hull on a shetland thats the most important question and also if anybody knows are they very stable and able if sea conditions get bad
    regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mikecraddock

Hi,
    I own a Shetland and they are fantastic boats on the sea. She is very stable and handles the waves very nicely!
    In regard to the engine.....
    I have a 30hp 4 stroke, which I believe is the minimum you would need for the sea, but a 15hp would probably be fine in a really flat sea(not that often) or the lakes! I also carry a spare 4hp as back up.
    I don't claim to know much about boats but you are welcome to call over and look at mine before you spend money to make sure that what you want!

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭john jameson

thanks mike for that offer very generious
    iv being looking in to them a little more and ya dont c any with small outboards so that says something. i bought a 2006 long shaft 2 stroke yamaha 15 hp a number of weeks ago for a 19ft burke lake boat that i use for a little fishing and spinning about down home broadhaven bay co mayo but after i bought the engine i started thinking of changing the boat so im exploring all before i buy i think at the end of the day it will be the displacement hull something like an orkney or o sullivan may suit that engine better and for all the times that i do get out im wondering if il hold on to the lake boat for another while
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

What model are you looking at? 15hp on a 535 or lower would be adequate at sea but not leave much room for performance. If it was on anything bigger I'd avoid.

I was what they say window shopping and happen to see a lot of these shetlands for sale and as im only after buying an absolutly mint yamaha 15hp 2 stroke that has never seen salt water i was wondering if it would be suitable to use on these boats but having taught about it and looked in to it i might be better off putting it on an orkney or some thing close to that the lower hp would work well on the likes of that for now any ways i think il save a few bob and stick with the lake boat its not a bad tub to be spinning about in and so long as i keep an eye on weather i should be grand its not deadlest catch il be on with it ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

As you said it might be better to consider a displacement hull and go for an Orkney longliner or similar. I don't think you would plane a boat easily with a 15hp so I wouldn't look at any planning or cathedral type hulls.

• Advertisement

Ya I think that's what il do and try pick up a nice tidy Orkney or simular . Does any body know what inflatables are like some thing for spinning about in and will take a 15 hp are they very good in the sea and what are they like if sea conditions got bad . Is there any chance they can flip over capsize would they be safe as any decent boat.

Advertisement