Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rte1 hd

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

muffler wrote: »
    So why can you not stick up an appropriate aerial or a dish for Saorsat in order to get RTE free as opposed to paying Sky for the privilege?

Because I'm not going to go to the extra expense for just one channel.

There are a lot of shows I watch through Sky, that I couldn't otherwise. Not legally anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's true. The deal with Sky going back years is for one transponder where they pay for their encryption.

I can't recall the details of that deal ever being made public? How are you sure it's limited to one transponder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

I wouldn't panic about getting RTE 1 'HD' on Sky they don't actually have any HD programmes on the channel😄

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Widescreen wrote: »
    I wouldn't panic about getting RTE 1 'HD' on Sky they don't actually have any HD programmes on the channel😄

Yes they do. What a strange thing for you to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Was there ever a reason hot for this?

I can get both rte channels and tg4 in HD free on evision from Eircom For 10 euro a month with free sky sports, BT sports etc.

Parents are paying a fortune for sky HD and can only get rte two HD?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,858 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I can get both rte channels and tg4 in HD free on evision from Eircom For 10 euro a month with free sky sports, BT sports etc.
    Thats nonsense and you know it. Do you work for Eircom or what?

You can only get evision providing you also subscribe to efibre
    You do not get Sky Sports free
    You get Setanta and BT Sports free for the first 2 months only.
    The €10 is an introductory price.
    You are tied into an 18 month contract.

muffler wrote: »
    Thats nonsense and you know it. Do you work for Eircom or what?

You can only get evision providing you also subscribe to efibre
    You do not get Sky Sports free
    You get Setanta and BT Sports free for the first 2 months only.
    The €10 is an introductory price.
    You are tied into an 18 month contract.

Yep, free BT sports, setanta etc for 2 months and sky sports 3 months for the price of 1.

That's not my question though.

Any reason why rte one HD and tg4 HD are not included on Sky?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Any reason why rte one HD and tg4 HD are not included on Sky?

Covered in other threads, because there isn't the space on the transponder for any more HD channels. RTE pay Sky for encryption and only pay for one transponder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I just quit SKY last week and moved to Freesat, when I called to cancel the SKY agent was adamant that RTE1HD would be on the Sky Ireland EPG before the end of the year:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

livEwirE wrote: »
    I just quit SKY last week and moved to Freesat, when I called to cancel the SKY agent was adamant that RTE1HD would be on the Sky Ireland EPG before the end of the year:rolleyes:

i hope the humax is doing the business............tell him that its free on saorview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

livEwirE wrote: »

Sky agents will say anything to try and keep a customer. To my knowledge, RTE1 HD cannot appear on SKY until Astra 2G launches, which won't be until Nov/Dec followed by a few weeks of tests, only then will there be extra transponder space for new HD channels. Perhaps late January for RTE1 HD on Sky. Same applies to TV3 HD, but they seem to be in no hurry, as long as it's ready for the Rugby World Cup to go out in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

kooga wrote: »
    i hope the humax is doing the business............tell him that its free on saorview

Yeah, the Humax is a perfect replacement thanks, I told him it's free on saorview and he still tried to convince me to stay:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

RTE2 HD is now channel 102 for non sky hd subscribers

RTE1hd will likely start at 101 also for non sky hd subscribers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Well done to RTE:rolleyes:

They decide to move the All Ireland Final to RTE1 which of course we all know isn't HD on Satellite.
    Sky have put it on their main Sky Sports channel (Sky Sports 1) which is available in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

zerks wrote: »

They decide to move the All Ireland Final to RTE1 which of course we all know isn't HD on Satellite.

Probably due to the conflict with the Georgia/Rep. Ireland 2016 qualifier, coverage of that match starts on RTÉ 2 at 16:30.

The All-Ireland Football final is scheduled for RTÉ 2 in two-weeks time (and Sky Sports 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

zerks wrote: »

Sky have put it on their main Sky Sports channel (Sky Sports 1) which is available in HD.

If the Ireland match wasn't HD people would have complained too. It's a lose/lose isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

lertsnim wrote: »
    If the Ireland match wasn't HD people would have complained too. It's a lose/lose isn't it.

Exactly and there wasn't really an alternative for RTÉ, if they'd shown the hurling on RTÉ2 they would have had to split the football with the first half on RTÉ1 and the second half on RTÉ2, they'd have been slated for that too and rightly so, they took the right option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

An Tarbh wrote: »
    Exactly and there wasn't really an alternative for RTÉ, if they'd shown the hurling on RTÉ2 they would have had to split the football with the first half on RTÉ1 and the second half on RTÉ2, they'd have been slated for that too and rightly so, they took the right option.

The right option would have been to put the soccer on RTE1 in SD and our national sport Hurling should have been given priority, a disgraceful and downright shameful decision by RTE.

Look, the Sunday game was in HD while the match for me was in 3D so happy days!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Peter File

Stinicker wrote: »
    The right option would have been to put the soccer on RTE1 in SD and our national sport Hurling should have been given priority, a disgraceful and downright shameful decision by RTE.
    Not disgraceful or shameful, but sensible. The angela's and 6-1 news would have had to be shown on RTE1 at pm. All you had to do was watch the game on saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

National sport. Never so much as seen a hurl here in our part of the country.
    Could be worse. We had the match moved, never mind the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Peter File wrote: »
    All you had to do was watch the game on saorview.

Not everyone has decent Saorview coverage
    I live in an area of wind turbine interference and for the last twelve months since the analogue switch-off I have been reliant on Sky but I cancelled it this week as my half price offer for the year ended and I'm not going to pay €35/month for to receive the Irish channels in just one room.

Last year in anticipation of the switchover I got a high gain aerial and spent €100 trying to get a stable Saorview picture but it is continuously disrupted by the Wind Farm and sometimes is totally unwatchable, basically if there is enough wind to fly a flag the turbines will be turning and I will have non-stop interference.

I then went down the Saorsat road wasting several hundred euro on a failure of a system. Saorsat has been nothing but a total failure as because where I live in Kerry I get gale-force winds year round and awful heavy rain and the Saorsat cuts out nearly as often as the Saorview with the Wind Farm interference.

My next door neighbour has the same issues and recently his chimney collapsed and he moved his aerial and has been getting improved Saorview signal. I am hopeful that there could be a solution to the Wind-Turbine interference as my neighbour seems to have fixed his problem but mine is still troublesome.

I have mountains on three sides of my house and the Wind Turbine farm lies direct in the path of the only Saorview signal from Mullaghanish, I am thinking if I can build or engineer some Aerial array that I may be able to capture enough signal to ensure interference free reception. I have 100% signal and only for the windturbines I could receive it on a coathanger as I am quite close to Mullaghanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Right for who?
    The small minority who are unfortunate not to be able to recieve SaorView?

If it's a case you don't have SaorView coverage, then, and only then, is your beef with RTÉ (2RN).
    If it's a case your chosen pay TV operator doesn't carry RTÉ One HD, then your beef lies completely with said pay TV operator!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Holbrook

Kensington wrote: »
    If it's a case you don't have SaorView coverage, then, and only then, is your beef with RTÉ (2RN).

Or the windfarm operators ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Holbrook

^^^^^^ In the case of Stinicker. (I don't seem to be able to edit posts.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

The national team were playing - that's of interest to the whole country.

As opposed to the hurling - of interest to just two counties.

RTE Two is the football channel; RTE One takes any alternative sports coverage when football is on, this is (with very few exceptions) the way they usually do it.

And, as has been said, the objection here should focus solely on the fact RTE One is not in HD on all platforms not on what match was shown on what channel (because there'd be complaints either way and I'd wager many more for the football).

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭codie

radiowaves wrote: »
    The national team were playing - that's of interest to the whole country.

As opposed to the hurling - of interest to just two counties.

RTE Two is the football channel; RTE One takes any alternative sports coverage when football is on, this is (with very few exceptions) the way they usually do it.

And, as has been said, the objection here should focus solely on the fact RTE One is not in HD on all platforms not on what match was shown on what channel (because there'd be complaints either way and I'd wager many more for the football).

Thats neither here nor there, there are a lot of people and especially older generation would watch hurling over soccer.Its not just the 2 counties involved.The hurling would be showed in many countries across the world .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

codie wrote: »
    Thats neither here nor there, there are a lot of people and especially older generation would watch hurling over soccer.Its not just the 2 counties involved.The hurling would be showed in many countries across the world .

And there are a lot of people who watch the national football team over hurling - also shown in many countries across the world!

Other than that I'm not sure what your point was.

But, as I said, this really shouldn't be a my favourite sporting event is better than yours debate; the complaints should solely focus on the absence of RTE One in HD on certain platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

radiowaves wrote: »
    And there are a lot of people who watch the national football team over hurling - also shown in many countries across the world!

Other than that I'm not sure what your point was.

But, as I said, this really shouldn't be a my favourite sporting event is better than yours debate; the complaints should solely focus on the absence of RTE One in HD on certain platforms.

OK, we all know RTÉ1 is not yet in HD on Saorsat.

When that is 'fixed' all should be good - regardless which game is shown on which channel!

In truth though, Saorsat is viewed by such a small audience it is no wonder it does not get 'the love' those viewers would like it to get.

A bit more lobbying is needed methinks ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭irishgeo

OK, we all know RTÉ1 is not yet in HD on Saorsat.

When that is 'fixed' all should be good - regardless which game is shown on which channel!

In truth though, Saorsat is viewed by such a small audience it is no wonder it does not get 'the love' those viewers would like it to get.

A bit more lobbying is needed methinks ....

tv3 and 3e are are also not on it despite getting tv licence funding.

Advertisement