Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rte1 hd

Options
  • 25-07-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Any word when on sky platform

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

No

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I just emailed RTE about this, will let you know the replies (if any)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭scart

emmetlego wrote: »
    I just emailed RTE about this, will let you know the replies (if any)

Any reply from RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

scart wrote: »
    Any reply from RTE?

If it's anything like the reply I got a few months ago, it'd be "ask Sky".
    On asking Sky, "ask Rte".

Idiots, one and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully it's on before Love/Hate starts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Beamobhoy

Yeah and let's hope we get TG4 HD before Ros Na Run comes back.......... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

I think you'll be waiting, it was posted here in a thread before that there is no space left on the transponder for another hd channel. Do a search here for RTE and you'll see the transponder is full: http://en.kingofsat.net/pos-28.2E.php

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Kurn

here is my response from the a few months back if it helps
    Thank you for your e-mail. RTE 1 HD will become available on the Sky platform in the future, but as yet no date has been confirmed.
    Please keep an eye on the Sky website.It will also be widely advertised when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

No space left? ****ing ridicules.

The British get all their HD channels, more HD channels than us. Then when it comes time for our national broadcaster to join the 21 century.

Sorry. No room for you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

It's true. The deal with Sky going back years is for one transponder where they pay for their encryption.

RTE want more HD channels? No problem - but they'll have to lease new transponder space and pay for Sky encryption.

The main UK channels are FTA so don't need to pay for encryption, just EPG placement costs.

Before this deal, the first channel on an Irish Sky Digital box was 106 (Sky One). It was like this for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Yep why copy a tried and tested method like the Brits have had in place for years with freesat/freeview when you can use a halfway house method making people go out and spend loads of money on new kit and let someone else control your destiny. Surely that's the Irish way is it not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

basill wrote: »
    Yep why copy a tried and tested method like the Brits have had in place for years with freesat/freeview when you can use a halfway house method making people go out and spend loads of money on new kit and let someone else control your destiny. Surely that's the Irish way is it not?
    It's completely different situation.

BBC/ITV buy programming rights for ~63 million UK residents, overspill into ~4 million Irish is a negligible side effect.
    RTÉ buy programming rights for ~4 million Irish residents, overspill into ~63 million UK residents isn't quite the same.

Therefore it's cheaper for the BBC/ITV to pay for the extra rights to cover the overspill and broadcast completely unencrypted, than to have to pay and maintain an encrypted platform.

RTÉ don't have the same luxury, if the buy rights on the basis of a ~4 million population, they have to protect from overspill to the UK, over 10 times the size of its purchased rights base. Unencrypted simply isn't an option, unfortunately, as they'd need to include the ~63 million pop. overspill in negotations, but, neither is the cost of establishing themselves on an encrypted "Free to View" platform for what would ultimately be a very small number of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,728 ✭✭✭lertsnim

basill wrote: »

You'd be happy to pay the massive increase in the TV licence to cover the cost of programming rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If Sky want RTE HD then let them pay for it ..... and let the subscribers pay Sky for it.

There is no reason whatsoever for RTE to want it on the Sky platform.

... and certainly no reason for non-Sky subscribers to subsidise it .....

If Sky want RTE HD then let them pay for it ..... and let the subscribers pay Sky for it.

There is no reason whatsoever for RTE to want it on the Sky platform.

... and certainly no reason for non-Sky subscribers to subsidise it .....

My TV license is paying for rte hd. As a Sky subscriber I have the equipment necessary to watch rte hd.

Why should I go to the added expense of getting a saorview box and aerial?

mad muffin wrote: »
    My TV license is paying for rte hd. As a Sky subscriber I have the equipment necessary to watch rte hd.

Why should I go to the added expense of getting a saorview box and aerial?

No you do not have the required equipment.
    If you did you could receive what the licence is paying for ...... DTT and/or Saorsat.

That you choose to subscribe to a pay TV service is not relevant.

No you do not have the required equipment.
    If you did you could receive what the licence is paying for ...... DTT and/or Saorsat.

That you choose to subscribe to a pay TV service is not relevant.

My TV license says otherwise.

Interesting licence.

Please explain, I'm curious

Interesting licence.
    Please explain, I'm curious

As a Sky subscriber, without an aerial or any other means to receive terrestrial channels besides Sky. What would happen if I stopped paying my TV license?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

As a Sky subscriber, without an aerial or any other means to receive terrestrial channels besides Sky. What would happen if I stopped paying my TV license?

Licence is a charge for having a tv in your house - you need to pay it whether you watch Sky, RTE or just put your flower vase on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,398 ✭✭✭irishgeo

nothing as the tv licence is not for RTE directly but for the equipment to receive it. You still have the TV which is a device for receiving broadcast TV.

A licence (permission) to receive broadcast transmissions does not guarantee anything.

So if you have equipment that is covered by the licence and you do not have a licence then you are liable to prosecution under the terms outlined in the act.

Please quote what part of your licence you referred to when you posted

Being able to revive RTE is not a condition of the licence. You pay the licence fee even if you only watch DVDs

A licence to receive broadcast transmissions does not guarantee anything.

So if you have equipment that is covered by the licence and you do not have a licence then you are liable to prosecution under the terms outlined in the act.

Please quote what part of your licence you referred to when you posted

We'll they can **** off then. I'll pay my license when I can get all the channels that are provided.

We'll they can **** off then. I'll pay my license when I can get all the channels that are provided.

Sponger used to be the term used I believe.

Everyone in the county can get RTE One HD, you just choose a pay TV system that doesn't feel it's worth the extra to provide it. Wishing you good luck with your crusade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

I have also contacted RTE in the past about getting RTE 1 HD on the Saorsat platform.
    Hard to understand why its not on Saorsat yet.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,881 ✭✭✭✭muffler

So why can you not stick up an appropriate aerial or a dish for Saorsat in order to get RTE free as opposed to paying Sky for the privilege?

Advertisement