Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Business closures around the county

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

The Indian in Ardara has closed, Taj Palace. And The Hills pub next door has also closed

• Registered Users Posts: 6 airdog

The hills pub is open had a pint there today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

airdog wrote: »
    The hills pub is open had a pint there today

My bad :o In fairness, it was secondhand information

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

le fournil open today
    alzheimers charity shop opening where sherry fitzgeralds used to be (diamond centre)
    Do you mean that place that also used to be a furniture shop, opposite the Reel Inn? Or Timony's "Diamond Centre"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

My bad :o In fairness, it was secondhand information

The Hills was closed for about a year but recently bought and they tidied the place up a bit and it reopened under new management there about a month or so ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

byte wrote: »
    Or Timony's "Diamond Centre"?

actually no timonys is called the castle centre, diamond centre is the diamond, next to ohehirs

byte

actually no timonys is called the castle centre, diamond centre is the diamond, next to ohehirs
    Ah God yeah! LOL! Duncan's place.

I think it's the hairdressers in Timony's that put me astray as it was called Diamond Edge.

That's my excuse anyway :)

I think it's the hairdressers in Timony's that put me astray as it was called Diamond Edge.

thats gone, timonys is knocking through that and abrekebabra and putting in a spar

byte

thats gone, timonys is knocking through that and abrekebabra and putting in a spar
    Yeah, I was aware of that. Strange that there will be 2 Spars in the town (Quinns on Water St being the other). Timony's as it is though, is quite cramped, so the extra space will be good for it I think, especially when I reckon it's harder to get people to lease out units nowadays. (I'd wonder if Foody's had much affect on Timony's business model).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

in good news, oasis is reopening and they seem to have the licence to sell food this time round.

Finally the the guys playpen is back while the girls hit penneys!

• Advertisement
    byte

danniemcq wrote: »
    in good news, oasis is reopening and they seem to have the licence to sell food this time round.

Presumably that is the pub in Letterkenny SC/Tesco? Good to hear it's open again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

It's Galfees that are opening it. From what I've heard though, its gonna be the sort of place they had before so not gonna be a pub as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Used to be one of my favourite pubs, and had some memorable nights there, and not so memerable due to being under the influence.

:D
    It's Galfees that are opening it. From what I've heard though, its gonna be the sort of place they had before so not gonna be a pub as such.

:(

Yeah, I was aware of that. Strange that there will be 2 Spars in the town (Quinns on Water St being the other). Timony's as it is though, is quite cramped, so the extra space will be good for it I think, especially when I reckon it's harder to get people to lease out units nowadays. (I'd wonder if Foody's had much affect on Timony's business model).

Will be unusual not seeing a takeaway there, always remembered on there. Mr T's, Abra's, and the most recent one.

So will it all be one unit, Timonys, (former) Abra, and the hairdressers? What will happen re access to the upstairs?

irish-stew wrote: »
    Will be unusual not seeing a takeaway there, always remembered on there. Mr T's, Abra's, and the most recent one.

So will it all be one unit, Timonys, (former) Abra, and the hairdressers? What will happen re access to the upstairs?

he's moving the shop from the righ to the left everything else will stay the same (as far as i know) and there will be an empty unit on the right

byte

he's moving the shop from the righ to the left everything else will stay the same (as far as i know) and there will be an empty unit on the right
    Aye, that's my understanding too.

I noticed a new shop in the Courtyard where Speers used to be - World of Stuff.

Unique Gifts opening where ShoeZone were.

A new costume shop opening in the tesco shopping centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

salonfire wrote: »
    Unique Gifts opening where ShoeZone were
    Its gonna be strange not seeing a shoe shop in that unit with a closing down sale on. Been a closing down sale on there for as long as I can remember.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

salonfire wrote: »
    I noticed a new shop in the Courtyard where Speers used to be - World of Stuff.

Unique Gifts opening where ShoeZone were.

A new costume shop opening in the tesco shopping centre

World of Stuff is the comic shop from down by the toilets expanded and under a new name. So just bigger shop now selling dvds, statues, etc. At least I think it's calle dWorld of Stuff now.

The costume shop in Tesco seems to just be for women's costumes, but looks like the staff dress up in the costumes as well. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I heard today that Books Direct are closing in the (Tesco) Shopping Centre. There will be a small Easons in the old Proctors unit instead.
    It is a shame, they always had a great selection of books, and were really cheap too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭donegal_man

annascott wrote: »
    I heard today that Books Direct are closing in the (Tesco) Shopping Centre. There will be a small Easons in the old Proctors unit instead.
    It is a shame, they always had a great selection of books, and were really cheap too.

Was talking to one of the lads who works in Books Direct today, he was telling me that they've been taken over by Eason and are moving into what used to be the newsagents in the Shopping Centre. They're having a closing down 3 for 2 sale though so no more cheap books, just the regular Eason prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

More bad news for Donegal, this time in Lisfannon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-20322106

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭donegal_man

NIMAN wrote: »
    More bad news for Donegal, this time in Lisfannon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-20322106

And according to the site that cannot be named the staff are being treated shamefully as well <SNIP>

Mod edit: Its not to be named or LINKED TO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

4 Lanterns in Ballybofey is gone, also the Indian in Stranorlar

And according to the site that cannot be named the staff are being treated shamefully as well LINK

Time for a sit-in and get this on the news. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

Time for a sit-in and get this on the news. :mad:

I think its an absolute disgrace that this wasn't covered in any of the mainstream media yesterday. If this was a Dublin business you'd be sure they would be up in arms calling for the politicians to intervene.

Where are our local politicans on this story?

Shame on them, they should be standing up for their constituents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭Firblog

Where are our local politicans on this story?

Shame on them, they should be standing up for their constituents.

Sorry lads, but what do you expect some local TD (none of whom have any business experience afik) to do about this? Companies make these decisions based on one criteria... profit. All the TD's would be good for is getting a few lines in the newspaper beside a picture of them wringing their hands an calling the govt to do something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Firblog wrote: »
    Sorry lads, but what do you expect some local TD (none of whom have any business experience afik) to do about this? Companies make these decisions based on one criteria... profit. All the TD's would be good for is getting a few lines in the newspaper beside a picture of them wringing their hands an calling the govt to do something.

they can't do much/anything but it would be nice to know they cared or at least knew about it.

Haven't heard anything

• Advertisement

they can't do much/anything but it would be nice to know they cared or at least knew about it.

Haven't heard anything

there your problem the only thing they care about is making sure they get their wages/expenses/pensions

companies like these were given grants by the government to set up in Ireland, as soon as the grant money runs out they pack up and leave

just in case you dont read the cycling forum

**New Bike shop Donegal Town**
    Teds Bike Shop

https://www.facebook.com/tedsbikeshop

on the Killybegs road beside Doherty Tiling

opens tomorrow mon 10th December 10AM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

handy, need a new tube for the back wheel

overshoot wrote: »
    handy, need a new tube for the back wheel

hopefully he has the right size in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

in that case my lazyness may continue a while longer! been gone for a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

just seen today marys is clossing its doors next week half price sale at the minute but not alot left in it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Mary's is going? Wow. I was in there today and there's nothing left on the shelf. Didn't realise it was closing down.

bohsboy wrote: »
    Mary's is going? Wow. I was in there today and there's nothing left on the shelf. Didn't realise it was closing down.
    didnt know this myself overheard a member of staff telling somone but a pity all the same one of those shops that you always remember.

byte

martyo wrote: »
    just seen today marys is clossing its doors next week half price sale at the minute but not alot left in it :(
    Yeah, it's an awful shame to see it's closing. :( Was always handy for buying tools, etc. that I'd only use occasionally so wouldn't need expensive branded stuff from the hardware stores. In fact, I think the tools part of the shop was the only section I frequented much! :D

It had been noted by the OH how small the Xmas section was compared to other years. I guess now we know why.

I heard from one staffer that they were only told last Wednesday.

Another empty (large) unit in the town.

didnt know this myself overheard a member of staff telling somone but a pity all the same one of those shops that you always remember.

I remember when it was foodland.

:o

• Advertisement
    byte

I remember when it was foodland.

:o
    Aye, back when the Diamond was a carpark!

Aye, back when the Diamond was a carpark!

Foodland was there along time after the carpark was paved over wasn't it.

Although the metal ramp (outside marys) from the kerb to the road is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

I would have imagined that these type of discount stores would have been doing quite well in recent times. (Dont think I've ever been in Marys but I always figured it for a larger type of pound shop place.)

Foodland was there along time after the carpark was paved over wasn't it.

Although the metal ramp (outside marys) from the kerb to the road is still there.

I remember Foodland being there up to 1997. Anyone remember the Four Masters Bookshop fire?

MJ's Bar (opposite the peak/National) has also closed this week.

Firblog wrote: »
    MJ's Bar (opposite the peak/National) has also closed this week.
    yeah think hie lease is up cant see it been left closed to long it would be a good enough spot, but maby high rent could be a factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

I heard today that the shop beside the glencar inn,the Atlantic take away on the Pearse rd and jiffys cleaners on Oliver plunked rd all closed down,bad times.

byte

yeah think hie lease is up cant see it been left closed to long it would be a good enough spot, but maby high rent could be a factor.
    Yeah, I believe it's just that the lease has expired, I doubt that pub will be closed for long as it does seem to get an OK footfall.

I understand that O'Donnells bar is up for lease too, as he puts his efforts into Bayview Hotel.

WRT Foodland, yeah, I'm pretty sure the car-park was gone whilst Foodland supermarket was still open. The ramp must nearly be there as long as the building LOL :D

WRT Foodland, yeah, I'm pretty sure the car-park was gone whilst Foodland supermarket was still open. The ramp must nearly be there as long as the building LOL :D

i used to shop at foodland when i moved here in 1997, it was open for a couple of years after that

McGee's Photo/Gift Shop in SuperValu centre in Donegal is closing down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement